ICE System For Maruti Suzuki Zen LXi (2005)

Re: Advice Needed-ICE System

I just came back after roaming around many shops in Chandigarh. Surprised to see people are still stuck on Sony's and Nippon's.

Though I don't like most the shops but there was this shop. Car Life Sector-28. That guy seemed to know what he was talking about so I asked to chalk up the estimate. This is what he gave me.

I asked him what are the alternatives for the front door speakers of Zen? I asked would 6 inch components be able to fit? He bluntly said why not, to which I replied how? And I additionally said that I don't want any cutting shutting. He said some thing like "Sir, nayi jaali lag jayegi Kuch kaatne ki zarurat Nani padegi" I didn't understand this part. He said when I will bring the car he will show me. I asked at what price. He said it will be free or cost will be included in the components.

I asked the same thing from 2-3 shops who were working on audis n beemers.. All said same thing.. No need of cutting.. Jaali lag jayegi and magnet door ok bhi nahi touch karegi. I wonder how will they do that?

This is the price of the components here in Chandigarh

HU: Pio- MVH089UB--Rs. 3200/-
Front components: Kicker (SoundGate: 4500/- JBL: 6000/- Infinity Reference: 8000/-) he said kicker n JBL has good punch, infinity n polk are good for vocals. Need Expert advise
Rear: If front components are not installed then JBL GTOs 950SI- I guess this can be eliminated now but the price is 4500/-
Sub Woofer: JBL GTX1200: 5200/-
Amp1: Blau 470SF for Speakers/Components: He said PIO amps or JBLs will be the best.
Blaus he said for 6700/-.
He said JBL GTX series are good (@ 6700) I said GTX series are of no good and heats up a lot. then he said take GXA series at 5700/-

I have few questions here

Q1: Would you suggest purchasing a monoblock Amp for the Sub?
Q2: Since monoblock block has one output can I run 2 subs in series on it. If I plan to use it in my other car (Innova)

MDF tray he said is of 750/- bucks

Gauge 8 cables for fitting he said he have of C(K)onnect brand (@ 1250/-) I said any reputed brand like bull audio, kicker, etc. he said out of stock. shall I purchase it online of some decent brand?

Misc charges 500-100 on labour.

Need help of some resident expert to determine the best shoppers in Chandigarh . They (ICE Dealers) all seemed like liars n thieves here.
Indeed they are liars and thieves.

Answering your questions paragraph-wise :

1. That "Jaali" is nothing but a spacer ring made of MDF which is installed anyway in all cases. What I think they are saying is that they would get you a thick 1.5-2" ring (usually 0.75" thick is normal) which will make the 6.5" speaker stick out a lot. Speakers get lesser in diameter as you move from the front to back. So, your 6.5" speaker will be around 4" when it reaches the doorpad provision. But the speaker will stick out very much. Since speaker will be pushed out it will obviously not touch the doorpad (metal touching part). Search "Wooden MDF Spacer Car Speaker" on Google and you will know. Spacer is fitted on 4" provision (inner edges of spacer) and speaker is fitted on the outer edges of spacer (6.5").

2. Price for components is high. Polk DB6501, one of the best in the market, is sold for 6.5k in NCR and 7k online. Get that if possible. Price for 6x9 is fine. Subwoofer is too highly priced at 5.2k, in NCR it is available for 2650 bucks (without bill) and 3550 bucks with bill. Online it is around 3.5k. Amplifiers are a bit overpriced. 470SF should be around 6-6.3k. Only GXA644SI at 5.7k is fine. Check online, prices are much much lower.

3. Mono-block isn't really needed for a single subwoofer or a single coil subwoofer. Go for 2 Channel or if you want a future-proof amp, go for 4 Channel. On a mono block, you can run one dual coil woofer or 2 single coil woofers as it is capable of running at 2 Ohm load (but there should be identical woofers).

4. MDF tray at 750 if fine. Try and find out who is the maker of these MDF items, get directly from him. It would turn out to be cheaper and you can get it made properly instead of going for pre-made boxes and trays.

5. Konnects is decent if your budget is low. Price is also fine. Fusion is also famous and retails for 950 in NCR, check that out also. For branded kits, look for Focal PK8, retails for 3k online.

I would say get your equipment from Snapdeal (only trustable and co-operative site for high value items) and get them installed at Chandigarh. That would be best.

In your case, total comes to ~25k. Get the following at these rates approx -

HU - 3k or even the one at 3.2k is fine.
Front DB6501 - 7k
Subwoofer GTX1200 - 3.5k
Amp 470SF - 6.3k
Wiring - 1.3k
MDF Spacers, woofer box, labour - 1.5k

TOTAL = ~22k (includes better components).

I have sent a PM to Saroya already but I think he isn't active currently. I will PM Joni_Rajpura, he is also a Punjabi brother.

Thread Starter #17
Re: Advice Needed-ICE System

Indeed they are liars and thieves.

Answering your questions paragraph-wise :

1. That "Jaali" is nothing but a spacer ring made of MDF which is installed anyway in all cases. What I think they are saying is that they would get you a thick 1.5-2" ring (usually 0.75" thick is normal) which will make the 6.5" speaker stick out a lot. Speakers get lesser in diameter as you move from the front to back. So, your 6.5" speaker will be around 4" when it reaches the doorpad provision. But the speaker will stick out very much. Since speaker will be pushed out it will obviously not touch the doorpad (metal touching part). Search "Wooden MDF Spacer Car Speaker" on Google and you will know. Spacer is fitted on 4" provision (inner edges of spacer) and speaker is fitted on the outer edges of spacer (6.5").

2. Price for components is high. Polk DB6501, one of the best in the market, is sold for 6.5k in NCR and 7k online. Get that if possible. Price for 6x9 is fine. Subwoofer is too highly priced at 5.2k, in NCR it is available for 2650 bucks (without bill) and 3550 bucks with bill. Online it is around 3.5k. Amplifiers are a bit overpriced. 470SF should be around 6-6.3k. Only GXA644SI at 5.7k is fine. Check online, prices are much much lower.

3. Mono-block isn't really needed for a single subwoofer or a single coil subwoofer. Go for 2 Channel or if you want a future-proof amp, go for 4 Channel. On a mono block, you can run one dual coil woofer or 2 single coil woofers as it is capable of running at 2 Ohm load (but there should be identical woofers).

4. MDF tray at 750 if fine. Try and find out who is the maker of these MDF items, get directly from him. It would turn out to be cheaper and you can get it made properly instead of going for pre-made boxes and trays.

5. Konnects is decent if your budget is low. Price is also fine. Fusion is also famous and retails for 950 in NCR, check that out also. For branded kits, look for Focal PK8, retails for 3k online.

I would say get your equipment from Snapdeal (only trustable and co-operative site for high value items) and get them installed at Chandigarh. That would be best.

In your case, total comes to ~25k. Get the following at these rates approx -

HU - 3k or even the one at 3.2k is fine.
Front DB6501 - 7k
Subwoofer GTX1200 - 3.5k
Amp 470SF - 6.3k
Wiring - 1.3k
MDF Spacers, woofer box, labour - 1.5k

TOTAL = ~22k (includes better components).

I have sent a PM to Saroya already but I think he isn't active currently. I will PM Joni_Rajpura, he is also a Punjabi brother.
Okay, I seem to have a decent idea what that guy will do to my front speaker and I looked up "Wooden MDF Spacer Car Speaker" seems like they are going to put up a wooden piece which will shelf a 6" component since door was made to hold 4" ( damn you Maruti). I am okay as long as door " looks" stock. But you said it will cause doors to bulge outwards? Complete door panel? If yes, how is he going to tighten it?

Question. Won't door speakers will get wet during rainy season? One they are in water.. Bye bye speakers :-( would they be water proofing that?

2. Yes, sub woofer is 3.5k online. I guess he was talking about box and dampening it. Is it still on the higher side?
Yes I have heard Polk but it seemed to be on the vocal side. I want component to b pe hard hitter but obviously you know better. Whatever you will say I'll pick.

Regarding online purchasing, I have asked JBL's customer care and they said Snapdeal is not an authorized dealer and any purchase done via them will not carry warranty. That's the reason holding me back otherwise I had thought the same. Purchase product online and get them fitted at any shop.

3. Agreed it's 4 channel Amp then.

4. I doubt they are going to let me know from where they are sourcing the MDF tray from but I can try

5. Whatever kit you'll recommend I'll take that. No second question.

Waiting to hear from Saroya Paaji and Joni Paaji as well.

Answering point-wise :

No, the entire doorpad doesn't stick out. It is only the speaker/spacer part, which is 6.5" in size, that will stick out from the doorpad. Spacer is just a ring to make a bigger gap from the door metal as aftermarket speakers are bigger (depth wise) and it offers flexibility to change to different sizes. Speakers will have their own drill points and doorpad will have its own, so a spacer ring helps here also by letting you drill new speakers according to their hole positions. Do note that the stock mesh-design of your doorpad (where you 4" is) will be cut and the new speaker will be coming out from that space only.

Usually water doesn't reach that level. There are water guard spacers available which prevent your speaker from water splashes, if any. Posting pictures at the end of the post. Cost is slightly higher than MDF ones and I have heard a person from Punjab makes these. [;)] They have an additional cover type thing on one side to prevent water from splashing on the speaker but won't help if water level rises totally.

A decent box should not cost more than 1k. Subwoofer should not cost above 3.5k. Stuffing wool inside box isn't recommended here as the setup itself isn't demanding more space (single sub). What do you mean by dampening? Or you meant damping? Damping isn't needed on subwoofer box but is good on car doorpads and boot lid. It costs a fair bit depending on brand.

Don't go blindly on what I suggest. It is your money and your mind. Go for what sounds the best to you. Generally, Polk DB6501 has a balanced sound which is liked by most people. Audition all brands shortlisted and then pay the money for the one you like the most. It is better if you ask the shop owner to play (and audition) different speakers without you looking at them. This way any brand bias will not come into picture and you will be able to choose the best one according to sound.

I am shocked to know this. Then Snapdeal products are overpriced definitely. The option which is left now is to go to many car markets and enquire and bargain hard. IMO go for a non-billed subwoofer and wiring as these things hardly go wrong and getting claims is also difficult.

Get in touch with an installer (labour) and he will let you know who is the master fabricator there. Usually there are 2-3 main fabricators in a car market and all shops of that area get boxes and MDF tray from them. You can get a lesser price and better built piece if you can personally meet the master fabricator.

For wiring kit, Focal PK8 is good if you have the budget. There is one JBL wiring kit also which costs around 2k, see if you can find it. Otherwise Fusion or Konnects are good enough at 1.2k.

I have PMed Saroya and Joni both and they will be here soon.

If products don't carry warranty on Snapdeal, you should get from PayTM as they are having 25-40% cashback on ICE products. I will search for all equipment needed and will let you know the total.

Source - Google Images

Prices for products on PayTM that match your requirement -

Pioneer MVH X179 UI - 3k
Polk DB6501 (at 6.7k) or Infinity Reference 6500 - 4.1k
JBL GTX1200 - 3.2k
Blau 470SF - 5.1k
Wiring (from shop) - 1.3k
Spacer, MDF box and misc. - 1.5k
TOTAL = ~20k (with Polk comps) or ~18k (with Infinity comps). Both are good combinations!

I am using PayTM app and thus not able to post link.

MODS - Merge with above post. Forgot about time limit (1 minute was left).

Thread Starter #20
Prices for products on PayTM that match your requirement -

Pioneer MVH X179 UI - 3k
Polk DB6501 (at 6.7k) or Infinity Reference 6500 - 4.1k
JBL GTX1200 - 3.2k
Blau 470SF - 5.1k
Wiring (from shop) - 1.3k
Spacer, MDF box and misc. - 1.5k
TOTAL = ~20k (with Polk comps) or ~18k (with Infinity comps). Both are good combinations!

I am using PayTM app and thus not able to post link.

MODS - Merge with above post. Forgot about time limit (1 minute was left).
Sir ji, one more noob question, point wise

I am confused now, I got your point that 6" components are bigger and hence require big spacer ring but can you please shed some light on the part that "Do note that the stock mesh-design of your doorpad (where you 4" is) will be cut and the new speaker will be coming out from that space only" Does this mean that the door pad will be cut? I was assured that there is no cutting involved. The complete door pad is one unit (Single Piece) there is no possibility that the speaker part will be cut and will bulge forward. Will the end result be like the PIC-1? I am okay for what is there in PIC-2

Okay Ill ask for spalsh proof water resistant. If the difference is 200-300 rupees ill opt for them.

Normal Box he said will be 750 rupees but good MDF box will be 1250 rupees. Yes apologies for the typo. I meant Damping. that too outside the box. here every MDF box is sold with Damping material like the one on MDF trays.

See Ice_Wise, I am not a vet like you, last time I bought an ICE was in year 2003 :-) so whatever you ll say I will be biased towards that. :-) Shopkeepers here font audition unless you are actually going to get them fitted. I guess Ill keep few of the components suggested by you in mind and will audition them at the time of installing.

1) Polk DB6501
2) JBL GTOS649C
3) Infinity Reference 6500CX
4) any other suggestions

these are the brands that I will check at the time of installation. will go with the one that sways me at the time. I will be choosing the one with not too bright tweeter but distinguished high and mid level note.

Snapdeal is good but once problem occurs, we cannot claim warranty. nor will they replace. I had bitter experience with JBL Flip-2

one more thing about the amps: if all amps are the same then should I take Sony's 1004? its cheap? or stick to costly blaus? and JBLs?

Thanks for reaching out to them on my behalf. Really appreciate it.

Ahh I more Silly question/ apologies in advance:

I have notice these front components doesn't carry much RMS Power. will they be able to produce enough juice for the music. Sorry if that too bad of a question.

And many thanks to you for going on a limp and finding the prices for me. these do look really tempting. let me install PayTm app and have a look at it.

Attachments

Sir ji, one more noob question, point wise

I am confused now, I got your point that 6" components are bigger and hence require big spacer ring but can you please shed some light on the part that "Do note that the stock mesh-design of your doorpad (where you 4" is) will be cut and the new speaker will be coming out from that space only" Does this mean that the door pad will be cut? I was assured that there is no cutting involved. The complete door pad is one unit (Single Piece) there is no possibility that the speaker part will be cut and will bulge forward. Will the end result be like the PIC-1? I am okay for what is there in PIC-2

Okay Ill ask for spalsh proof water resistant. If the difference is 200-300 rupees ill opt for them.

Normal Box he said will be 750 rupees but good MDF box will be 1250 rupees. Yes apologies for the typo. I meant Damping. that too outside the box. here every MDF box is sold with Damping material like the one on MDF trays.

See Ice_Wise, I am not a vet like you, last time I bought an ICE was in year 2003 :-) so whatever you ll say I will be biased towards that. :-) Shopkeepers here font audition unless you are actually going to get them fitted. I guess Ill keep few of the components suggested by you in mind and will audition them at the time of installing.

1) Polk DB6501
2) JBL GTOS649C
3) Infinity Reference 6500CX
4) any other suggestions

these are the brands that I will check at the time of installation. will go with the one that sways me at the time. I will be choosing the one with not too bright tweeter but distinguished high and mid level note.

Snapdeal is good but once problem occurs, we cannot claim warranty. nor will they replace. I had bitter experience with JBL Flip-2

one more thing about the amps: if all amps are the same then should I take Sony's 1004? its cheap? or stick to costly blaus? and JBLs?

Thanks for reaching out to them on my behalf. Really appreciate it.

Ahh I more Silly question/ apologies in advance:

I have notice these front components doesn't carry much RMS Power. will they be able to produce enough juice for the music. Sorry if that too bad of a question.

And many thanks to you for going on a limp and finding the prices for me. these do look really tempting. let me install PayTm app and have a look at it.
Replying pointwise :

Stoch mesh design will have to be cut as mounting depth for aftermarket components is more than coaxials or stock speakers. Gap between doorpad and door metal won't be enough. Maybe your installer mistook you and he would have meant that no *major* out of the box cutting would be there, as cutting the mesh part is a minor alteration. It will give almost OEM look, except for the speakers sticking out. It will look like Pic 2 but speaker will stick out slightly more (1 inch more).

Negotiate and get good quality box for 1k. Compare box prices with other shops also. Even 1k is high for a pre-made box, at this price you can get custom-made box.

That material is not damping but felt lining, similar to the backside material of rear seat. The felt lining is just for show.

The list is good enough. Decide between these 3 only! Audition them on the same song. Download "Hotel California" song for auditioning, if possible.

With subwoofer and speakers, manufacturers often don't give warranty claims easily as parts like cone, surround, etc. have a high possibility of getting damaged by a person. Warranty covers only manufacturing faults which may arise in HU, amplifiers and crossover of components. Manufacturer will give 1000 reasons before accepting a claim.

Sony XMN1004 is a worthy option. Same power as 470SF (70w RMS) at much lesser price. I have said earlier also that Sony makes good amplifiers. At what price are you getting Sony?

RMS power of your components won't matter much. Your amplifier will decide how much power each thing gets, and i.e. 70w always. So, even a 75w RMS component will perform like a 125w RMS component but the latter would handle the sound better (just like a BMW handles high speeds better than an Alto). Let me tell you 70w RMS is not less or low. An average headunit gives out around 15-20w RMS and 50w maximum, and you know the speakers get sufficiently loud at full volume i.e. 50w. Now consider what you will be having with 70w even at half volume. [;)]

One tip - Put some jelly/cream (like Vaseline) over the screws (connection points) of the crossovers (of components) as they rust away quite fast and will cause problems in future.

Thread Starter #22
Replying pointwise :

Stoch mesh design will have to be cut as mounting depth for aftermarket components is more than coaxials or stock speakers. Gap between doorpad and door metal won't be enough. Maybe your installer mistook you and he would have meant that no *major* out of the box cutting would be there, as cutting the mesh part is a minor alteration. It will give almost OEM look, except for the speakers sticking out. It will look like Pic 2 but speaker will stick out slightly more (1 inch more).

Negotiate and get good quality box for 1k. Compare box prices with other shops also. Even 1k is high for a pre-made box, at this price you can get custom-made box.

That material is not damping but felt lining, similar to the backside material of rear seat. The felt lining is just for show.

The list is good enough. Decide between these 3 only! Audition them on the same song. Download "Hotel California" song for auditioning, if possible.

With subwoofer and speakers, manufacturers often don't give warranty claims easily as parts like cone, surround, etc. have a high possibility of getting damaged by a person. Warranty covers only manufacturing faults which may arise in HU, amplifiers and crossover of components. Manufacturer will give 1000 reasons before accepting a claim.

Sony XMN1004 is a worthy option. Same power as 470SF (70w RMS) at much lesser price. I have said earlier also that Sony makes good amplifiers. At what price are you getting Sony?

RMS power of your components won't matter much. Your amplifier will decide how much power each thing gets, and i.e. 70w always. So, even a 75w RMS component will perform like a 125w RMS component but the latter would handle the sound better (just like a BMW handles high speeds better than an Alto). Let me tell you 70w RMS is not less or low. An average headunit gives out around 15-20w RMS and 50w maximum, and you know the speakers get sufficiently loud at full volume i.e. 50w. Now consider what you will be having with 70w even at half volume. [;)]

One tip - Put some jelly/cream (like Vaseline) over the screws (connection points) of the crossovers (of components) as they rust away quite fast and will cause problems in future.
Reg Fitment of Front Components: I will have a word with the guy again. Probably ask him to show his handy work if not then perhaps the images of his handy work.

Woofer Box: I will ask the price from few shops and will report tomorrow.

So lining material is another marketing gimmick. Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Components: it's been three hours now and I think I have had enough. From what i gather after reading numerous blogs n watching YouTube videos.

Polk: I could not find even one bad review but to really shine bright. They require external power. Which we have already taken care of. :-)

JBL: It is the Maruti Suzuki swift of components. True value for money good SQ but don't expect much.

Infinity Series: They don't pack the juice and are more on the crisp side.

Hertz: Way out of my price range. It's the Lamborghini of components. Wish I could get them one day.

Please notes these observations are my POV and no offense to anyone.

Ice_wise: the prices from Paytm did seem lucrative and I was about to order Sub n amp but it shows out of stock for most of the items. :-(

I didn't ask Sony in the market. Online it's 5.5K. But online reviews shows that Sony n JBLs tends to heat up a lot. Is the problem same with blaus? Would you know? How are the PIO amps that you are using. I'll ask Sony's price tomorrow.

Thanks for the detailed description about RMS power. If I may ask one more question. What is nominal power and rated output power? Why do measure by root means square power but not by the peak power?

Thanks for the tip ice_wise. Duly noted and will be implemented!

Reg Fitment of Front Components: I will have a word with the guy again. Probably ask him to show his handy work if not then perhaps the images of his handy work.

Woofer Box: I will ask the price from few shops and will report tomorrow.

So lining material is another marketing gimmick. Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Components: it's been three hours now and I think I have had enough. From what i gather after reading numerous blogs n watching YouTube videos.

Polk: I could not find even one bad review but to really shine bright. They require external power. Which we have already taken care of. :-)

JBL: It is the Maruti Suzuki swift of components. True value for money good SQ but don't expect much.

Infinity Series: They don't pack the juice and are more on the crisp side.

Hertz: Way out of my price range. It's the Lamborghini of components. Wish I could get them one day.

Please notes these observations are my POV and no offense to anyone.

Ice_wise: the prices from Paytm did seem lucrative and I was about to order Sub n amp but it shows out of stock for most of the items. :-(

I didn't ask Sony in the market. Online it's 5.5K. But online reviews shows that Sony n JBLs tends to heat up a lot. Is the problem same with blaus? Would you know? How are the PIO amps that you are using. I'll ask Sony's price tomorrow.

Thanks for the detailed description about RMS power. If I may ask one more question. What is nominal power and rated output power? Why do measure by root means square power but not by the peak power?

Thanks for the tip ice_wise. Duly noted and will be implemented!
Yesterday, all of the items were in stock. Subwoofer, amplifier, HU and speakers. I think you should check again, and if possible, order subwoofer and speakers from there. HU and amplifier need warranty definitely and should be bought from a shop.

I have Pioneer GMD8601 and JBL GTO1004 currently. Both are going well but it would not be good to compare them with cheaper amplifiers as internal circuitry will be more reliable and better (less chances of overheating). Out of the 2 I have, JBL heats up faster but that is because it is a dated Class AB model. I haven't faced severe overheating or tripping though. If the installer insists on fitting the amplifier under seat, make sure it isn't placed upsize down as heat will accumulate. Fixing to the subwoofer box is also a no-no, best option is to mount on rear seatback or place it (no drilling/securing) under front seats. Whether it will overheat or not is still a gamble, as with most amplifiers, and you can only hope for the best. But if you are buying with warranty, you can claim warranty in case of overheating. Even the shop owner will replace it (if reported in 1-2 weeks) if you don't take warranty.

Nominal power = RMS power. Peak power is what you'll achieve on the extreme end of the volume (on HU) and that too will be for short bursts (2-3 seconds) when excessive bass kicks in or likewise. RMS is the minimum you will supply to the equipment at any time, and is more prominent in deciding capability of the amplifier. Eg, my GMD8601 (Mono) gives only 1000w Max but provides 500w RMS which will be better than having a 200-300w RMS with 1200w Max amp.

drive_angry i am from rajpura i know a good shopkeeper in my city and he is my customer also if you can then come to rajpura he will help you a lot to choose the things after that buying decision is your`s you can do you purchases from Chandigarh or from rajpura according to the guide of mine friend

Thread Starter #25
I didn't how to multi quote, so I am going to answer sequentially.

I checked quite few times. Most of the items seems to be out of stock. I will check again periodically though. Thanks!

I didn't mean to compare ice_wise just wanted to get the best of course at a cheaper price. Hehe :-)

Regarding amp installation, I guess I will go with the rear seat mounts. Thanks for the advice.

I went to the same shop today (one I went to first time). He was bit moody today as this is the 5-6 time I am visiting him for just queries and prices but that doesn't bother me. :-)

Ohh got it now about the RMS power I guess that is why mostly people talk in terms of RMS rather than peak.

So these are the tentative prices of the remaining equipment.

Components:

Polk DB6501: 5500/- but he added that I should go for MM series. Is it difference noticeable?
JBL: 5200/-
Infinity Reference: He said it will not suit your taste and you are better off without it. So didn't ask about the price.

I said I would like to hear them too which he said that "aap car le aao fir sunwadenge" I said okay.

Also, he said no cutting and spacer for 5.5 inch above that, you were right, bottom right part will come out.

AMPS

BLAU: 5500/-
JBL: 4900/-
SONY: Around 5.

All the prices are with B&W.

Satsriakal Joni paaji, thanks for replying. We were waiting for your expert advice as well.

Sir Ji, currently, my car is in workshop for denting and painting. Headlights, tail lights and front window is removed for denting and painting. Most likely I will be getting back it by Friday. My brother will be leaving on Sunday so that will give me only one day to install everything. Since all the ICE shops and car body works shop are in Sector 28-D chandigarh so we were thinking to catch hold a guy from sector-28 itself. I shall be grateful if you can let me know good ICE dealer in Chandigarh itself. Thanks!

This is the final setup.

Front components: Polk DB6501 ( ice_wise will update me on MM series)- 5500/-
Rear: I guess they are not required anymore but brother says, if the volume levels seemed low at the time of installation, we will go for it. I said okay. Right?
Sub Woofer: JBL GTX1200: 5200/- ( forgot to confirm about the price from this shop)
Amp1: Blau 470SF-- 5500/-
Amp2: JBL or Sony ( around 5k) in the case we decided to go for rear speakers.

Joni_rajpura, it would be great if you can confirm the prices in Rajpura city as well?

Many thanks guys!

I didn't how to multi quote, so I am going to answer sequentially.

I checked quite few times. Most of the items seems to be out of stock. I will check again periodically though. Thanks!

I didn't mean to compare ice_wise just wanted to get the best of course at a cheaper price. Hehe :-)

Regarding amp installation, I guess I will go with the rear seat mounts. Thanks for the advice.

I went to the same shop today (one I went to first time). He was bit moody today as this is the 5-6 time I am visiting him for just queries and prices but that doesn't bother me. :-)

Ohh got it now about the RMS power I guess that is why mostly people talk in terms of RMS rather than peak.

So these are the tentative prices of the remaining equipment.

Components:

Polk DB6501: 5500/- but he added that I should go for MM series. Is it difference noticeable?
JBL: 5200/-
Infinity Reference: He said it will not suit your taste and you are better off without it. So didn't ask about the price.

I said I would like to hear them too which he said that "aap car le aao fir sunwadenge" I said okay.

Also, he said no cutting and spacer for 5.5 inch above that, you were right, bottom right part will come out.

AMPS

BLAU: 5500/-
JBL: 4900/-
SONY: Around 5.

All the prices are with B&W.

Satsriakal Joni paaji, thanks for replying. We were waiting for your expert advice as well.

Sir Ji, currently, my car is in workshop for denting and painting. Headlights, tail lights and front window is removed for denting and painting. Most likely I will be getting back it by Friday. My brother will be leaving on Sunday so that will give me only one day to install everything. Since all the ICE shops and car body works shop are in Sector 28-D chandigarh so we were thinking to catch hold a guy from sector-28 itself. I shall be grateful if you can let me know good ICE dealer in Chandigarh itself. Thanks!

This is the final setup.

Front components: Polk DB6501 ( ice_wise will update me on MM series)- 5500/-
Rear: I guess they are not required anymore but brother says, if the volume levels seemed low at the time of installation, we will go for it. I said okay. Right?
Sub Woofer: JBL GTX1200: 5200/- ( forgot to confirm about the price from this shop)
Amp1: Blau 470SF-- 5500/-
Amp2: JBL or Sony ( around 5k) in the case we decided to go for rear speakers.

Joni_rajpura, it would be great if you can confirm the prices in Rajpura city as well?

Many thanks guys!
It would be better if you let me know the model number of MM series components. IIRC MM 6501 is the only one and it costs 17-18k. DB 6501 is a good component and totally worth the price at 5.5k. Mobile Monitor series is a level above DB series and will sound better, as expected. However I feel that you should stick to DB only as the same equipment (Blau Amp) will not go well with MM. It is better to have a balanced budge setup, i.e. decent amp, decent speakers, etc. or expensive amp, expensive speakers, etc.. Expensive components on mid-level amplifier isn't a good idea.

Pricing for DB6501 is good. You won't need rear coaxials if you listen from the front seat. I will also help you tune the amplifier once you get it installed depending on your feedback. Price for Blaupunkt amplifier is also spot-on, go ahead with it as it is better than Sony and you have the budget. Subwoofer price is high by at least 1.5k, confirm from that shop again and you can also consider Pioneer Single Coil subwoofer which will cost ~3.5k with B&W, Pioneers are heavy on bass than JBL and will stand out (preferred if you are planning for "Gedi" and all [;)]).

If you are getting HU, speakers and amplifier at this price with B/W, go ahead! Now the part left is wiring, and go for a medium quality wiring i.e. around 1.5k (Fusion, Konnects, etc. are good). JBL wiring at ~2k is also good but hard to find an original one.

Thread Starter #28
It would be better if you let me know the model number of MM series components. IIRC MM 6501 is the only one and it costs 17-18k. DB 6501 is a good component and totally worth the price at 5.5k. Mobile Monitor series is a level above DB series and will sound better, as expected. However I feel that you should stick to DB only as the same equipment (Blau Amp) will not go well with MM. It is better to have a balanced budge setup, i.e. decent amp, decent speakers, etc. or expensive amp, expensive speakers, etc.. Expensive components on mid-level amplifier isn't a good idea.

Pricing for DB6501 is good. You won't need rear coaxials if you listen from the front seat. I will also help you tune the amplifier once you get it installed depending on your feedback. Price for Blaupunkt amplifier is also spot-on, go ahead with it as it is better than Sony and you have the budget. Subwoofer price is high by at least 1.5k, confirm from that shop again and you can also consider Pioneer Single Coil subwoofer which will cost ~3.5k with B&W, Pioneers are heavy on bass than JBL and will stand out (preferred if you are planning for "Gedi" and all [;)]).

If you are getting HU, speakers and amplifier at this price with B/W, go ahead! Now the part left is wiring, and go for a medium quality wiring i.e. around 1.5k (Fusion, Konnects, etc. are good). JBL wiring at ~2k is also good but hard to find an original one.
Thanks Joni_Rajpura. Looking forward to your reply.

@ice_wise: Yes it was MM6501 component kit and he gave me an estimate of 18k. I am sure at that price point, its everything premium :-) but way out my league as of now.

I will stick to polk DB6501 with blau amplifiers then. In-fact, when I went today went to meet the shopkeeper, he was venting out his frustration (this guy comes daily, never purchases anything) but when I asked him for Polk audio and Blaus setup , for a minute he got a little serious and I think he was amazed to see that this guy means business ;-) thanks to you Mr. ice_wise for the wise choice

Haha..there will be a lot of gedi's. if not from me but definitely from my brother. At the time of installation, I will ask the installer that I want to listen both JBL's and Pio's bass and will go with the one that feels right.

PIO Model: TS-W1211D4
JBLs Model:GTX1200

Bro, last question of this reply :-)

How do I proceed when I approach him on the shop for the installation? although, he have given me all the prices of the equipment that I want to install but I feel these are tentative prices and I want n. So, should I ask him upfront that this is the stuff that I am looking to put in my car, so, please tell me the exact prices so that I can arrange finances accordingly.
or how to proceed with these backstabbing ICE dealers.

Now that you have mentioned wiring, He showed me fake JBL wiring kit that comes in pouch with JBL written all over it. He declared that its a fake one and people buy them happily just because it is JBL is written on them. He said he have all types of wiring available with him. So, naturally I asked him about Bull audio and Focal kits. He said he can get bull for me but focal is available at 2.1K at the moment. but if you are saying that Konnects & fusion are fine then I will go with it. Your inputs here please.

Also, if possible can you please send the pic of the Kit that you will be finalizing for me, it would be easy for me to identify at the shop if it is a genuine or a fake one.

One last request (I Promise :-)): can you please post ICE set up of your swift. I too want to see Lakshit's BBA wale ki car.. haha :-) (Its okay if you cannot).

Cheers!

Thanks Joni_Rajpura. Looking forward to your reply.

@ice_wise: Yes it was MM6501 component kit and he gave me an estimate of 18k. I am sure at that price point, its everything premium :-) but way out my league as of now.

I will stick to polk DB6501 with blau amplifiers then. In-fact, when I went today went to meet the shopkeeper, he was venting out his frustration (this guy comes daily, never purchases anything) but when I asked him for Polk audio and Blaus setup , for a minute he got a little serious and I think he was amazed to see that this guy means business ;-) thanks to you Mr. ice_wise for the wise choice

Haha..there will be a lot of gedi's. if not from me but definitely from my brother. At the time of installation, I will ask the installer that I want to listen both JBL's and Pio's bass and will go with the one that feels right.

PIO Model: TS-W1211D4
JBLs Model:GTX1200

Bro, last question of this reply :-)

How do I proceed when I approach him on the shop for the installation? although, he have given me all the prices of the equipment that I want to install but I feel these are tentative prices and I want n. So, should I ask him upfront that this is the stuff that I am looking to put in my car, so, please tell me the exact prices so that I can arrange finances accordingly.
or how to proceed with these backstabbing ICE dealers.

Now that you have mentioned wiring, He showed me fake JBL wiring kit that comes in pouch with JBL written all over it. He declared that its a fake one and people buy them happily just because it is JBL is written on them. He said he have all types of wiring available with him. So, naturally I asked him about Bull audio and Focal kits. He said he can get bull for me but focal is available at 2.1K at the moment. but if you are saying that Konnects & fusion are fine then I will go with it. Your inputs here please.

Also, if possible can you please send the pic of the Kit that you will be finalizing for me, it would be easy for me to identify at the shop if it is a genuine or a fake one.

One last request (I Promise :-)): can you please post ICE set up of your swift. I too want to see Lakshit's BBA wale ki car.. haha :-) (Its okay if you cannot).

Cheers!
Yes, you can audition both Pioneer and JBL.

When you go for final installation, sit in the shop and first ask him to give a written estimate of each and every thing required for install. Tell him that you will not pay a single penny more when he completes the estimate (otherwise he will inflate price accordingly). Do negotiations. Then tell them to start the install. If you want to give a tip to the installer (labour), give it before he starts the install. That's it.

Don't go for the fake JBL one. Go for Fusion, etc. or if you have the budget, Focal PK8 for 2.1k is also good (you can negotiate and bring it to 2k). I have attached link of PK8.

I would have posted the pics but the camera app stopped working just 2 hours back! [lol] My front camera is 2MP only, so won't be useful. Now I need some expert to help me get my camera app working again.

Preparing tentative price list for your setup :

Pioneer MVH089UB - 3.2k
Polk DB6501 - 5.5k
Blaupunkt 470SF - 5.5k
JBL GTX1200 or Pioneer - 3.5k (You need to confirm)
Focal PK8 - 2k
Box for sub, spacer rings and misc. - 1.4k
Labour - 0.5k
TOTAL = ~21k

Click this link for Focal pictures

Top Bottom