ICE Setup For Mahindra Scorpio 8 Seater

Thread Starter #1
Dear Gurus ,
Require a good ICE setup for my Scorpio Vlx 8 Seater .
Currently the following are attached .
Nippon System ( USB ,CD,Tuner Aux ) No Bluetooth though
Have a Worldtech Rear View mirror cum Video player
all 4 coaxials 2 in the front door and 2 on the booot door .

Experts please suggest ,i am a bass lover ,i have a basstube but cannot attach one as there is no space in the boot . plus amplifier not supported by the nippon player as there are no rcas

Re: ICE Setup for Scorpio 8 Seater

Hello Doctor,
Welcome to the world of ICE upgrade. Regret to inform you that a Scorpio is the worst car in India regarding a music system or ICE upgrade and your 8 seater vehicle option only makes matters worse.

You have also not mentioned wether your co axial speakers are stock company fitted or after market, if after market are these working fine? Assuming these are stock fitted speakers and that your head unit can't be changed due to your top end model Scorpio having some functions integrated into it, you can consider the following options for a good or better music output:-

Option 1.

Replace the front speakers with component speakers, Woofers in doors and tweeters on the sail panel behind the OVRM's.

Add a 4 channel amplifier to your system I.e. With the help of a hi low converter.

Replace the rear speakers with oval 6*9" co axial speakers. (Tailgate has to cut to accommodate these) In case you do not want to tamper tailgate and plan to replace with 6" inch round speakers that perfectly fit into the stock speaker slots, then be prepared for a lesser bass output. Round speakers in the rear will be best suited if you are additionally fitting a sub woofer or else ovals are best recommended.

Option 2.

In case you want better bass then you need to add a sub woofer but due to lack of space you either will have to go for a power enclosure subwoofer ( but output will be less or muted compared to a normal subwoofer)

If you are looking for a full blast then you can consider a normal subwoofer and have to either place it on the 3rd row seat and remove it whenever you need to travel with all 8 passengers.

Front and rear speakers are same as in above option 1.

4 channel amp will be the same if you plan to go for a powered sub woofer( I.e. A subwoofer with a in built amplifier).

In case of a normal sub woofer you will have to consider these options for amplifier:-

A) 4 channel amp that will power the component speakers from the 2 front channels and the rear 2 channels of the amp will power the sub woofer. Rear co axial speakers will be directly powered by the head unit.

B) 5 channel amp where 2 channels power your front components, 2 channels power your rear co axials and the other 5th channel to power the subwoofer.

C) This option is for superior performance, one 4 channel amp to power the front components and rear co axials, and another mono amp to exclusively power the normal sub woofer (not the powered sub woofer)

Addition of quality power and speaker cables, dampening of doors, (wires and dampening recommended) and equaliser (optional for a quality sound) can be added depending on your budget. Budget may start from Rs 25000 to upwards of Rs 1,25,000 depending on your taste and requirements.

I bought a 7 seater Scorpio S10 just for the reason to accommodate a sub woofer.

Once you decide on the options and budget then we can go into part 2 of the brands and configurations.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Thanks rajan .
a very detailed solution .my current speakers are stock ones the front door speakers are food but the rear are hardly audible and there is no effect .
i plan to keep d front speakers d same and change the rears to ovals but consider not use the boot door instead might go in for d box . Can use an amp to power all d 4 speakers . Woofer might have to be avoided to reserve the boot space .
would like to know a good oval speaker for bass .i have used jbl 949 earlier and then d pioneer 500 watts in my getz and was quite happy with the base but those were fitted on the parcel tray hence the bass was great .now considering the scorpio if i use the box will i get the same effect that i used to get on the parcel tray . plus which speakers would have better bass output than that in pio eer 500 watts .

Hello Dr.Jviyala.
Formatting your needs in a better way. Because it is difficult to understand your current setup. Do clear what all you have now, what you want, what type of music you listen to, and your budget for the install.

As far as I could understand, your Current ICE:
-Stock HU (without any preouts for connecting amplifier)
-2 Front Coax (on the door)
-2 Rear (Oval?) Coax (on the boot door)

My advice would be to upgrade in stages, less hassles and less funding required at a point of time.

Stage 1.

Get a decent set of front components. Hertz, Infinity, Polk, JBL, etc. make same good VFM components and can be had from 5k/8k depending on the brand. The coaxial from the component set can be placed in the front doors only. The crossover can be placed somewhere inside the door panel and the tweeter can be fixed on the dashboard edges or the ORVM's inside area.

Stage 2.

If you are not satisfied with the above setup, get JBL 6x9 Coaxials fixed on the boot door. These would help create fullness in the overall sound quality in the car. At this stage, you can get a 4 channel amplifier to power the components and the coaxials. The coaxials would cost you around 6k for a powerful setup from low-mid level manufacturers like JBL, Pioneer, etc. The amplifier would cost you 5k/6k for JBL, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. My personal preference would be to get JBL. The wiring can be dependent on your budget and quality available. It would cost another 2k. For connecting the amplifier to the HU, you will have to get a Hi-Lo Converter or Choke to create preouts. Otherwise, if your amplifier has speaker level inputs, then there is no need to get a converter. I am using JBL converter and it came for around 2k.

Stage 3.

If you are still not satisfied with the bass output, then you can upgrade. With the SQ, there is no way that you will not be satisfied if you pair a decent set of components with a decent amplifier. The 6x9 can be made to run directly from the HU. The remaining 2 channels of your existing amplifier can be used to power a subwoofer. The subwoofer would come in for 3k/4k for a normal 12" one from JBL, Pioneer, etc. I have used the JBL GTX1200 and was extremely satisfied with its output. It costed me 3k without b/w. The subwoofer can be placed in a sealed box custom-made to fit your Scorpio without eating up much space. The box will cost 1k and less. You can remove the subwoofer easily when you want more space at the rear.

Stage 4.
If you are not a huge audiophile, then you'd be satisfied with this much. If not, you can fine tune your system by damping the doors and boot door. Damping sheets are available easily and would cost 5k/10k depending on the brand you choose. You can also look at options to upgrade the ICE components with which you are not satisfied at this stage. Plus, you can add another mono amplifier to power your subwoofer separately and the 4 channel amplifier can power all the speakers. The mono amplifier would come at around 8k.

Hope that helped. Clarify your budget and other details, so we can suggest better.

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:

Thanks rajan .
a very detailed solution .my current speakers are stock ones the front door speakers are food but the rear are hardly audible and there is no effect .
i plan to keep d front speakers d same and change the rears to ovals but consider not use the boot door instead might go in for d box . Can use an amp to power all d 4 speakers . Woofer might have to be avoided to reserve the boot space .
would like to know a good oval speaker for bass .i have used jbl 949 earlier and then d pioneer 500 watts in my getz and was quite happy with the base but those were fitted on the parcel tray hence the bass was great .now considering the scorpio if i use the box will i get the same effect that i used to get on the parcel tray . plus which speakers would have better bass output than that in pio eer 500 watts .
1. It's better if you can upgrade the front stock speakers to components for a better output.

2. Placing the rear oval speakers in boxes would definitely improve performance subject to the box being a minimum of 1 feet height and 1 feet depth, which might be a problem due to space constraint in the 8 seater scopio. so better stick to the tailgate option.

3. Stock head unit supplies around 7-12-20 watts to the speakers, while adding an amp will increase the power output from 40-50-75-100 watts rms depending on the selected amplifier's configuration. So while choosing speakers you need to consider only the watts in rms and not peak power of 300 or 500 watts. RMS is the root mean square or the continuous power that is supplied to the speakers while peak power mentioned is the maximum power and above this the speakers will go dead. ( Example in layman terms:- You drive a car normally between 40-80 kmph while your car may have a top speed of 160 kmph, here normal sppeed is like RMS and peak power is like the top speed which we attempt rarely or never at all). Next the amplifiers RMS output per channel has to be matched to the RMS watts of each speaker. Ideally for a basic set up without sub woofer option, a 40-55 watts RMS output range is sufficient enough for normal listening. Next its recommended to maintain the same brand of speakers in the front and rear for even sound distribution.

4. Retaining the front co axial stock speakers will deprive you the pleasure of quality sound performance. (Again in layman terms:- Stock speakers output will be similar to one of a radio while replacing with component speakers will give you a stereo effect as sound is split into medium and high frequencies between the woofers and tweeters for optimal output). Even if you add a amplifier to stock speakers, you will not see a quality improvement in sound (called SQL :- Sound Quality Levels) but only performance or loudness (called as SPL :- Sound Performance Levels) will increase. Also adding an amplifier to the stock speakers will further destroy them as typically a minimum output from amplifier starts at 40 watts RMS while stock speakers barely have a 20-30 watts RMS, so more continuous power to the under powered stock speakers is risky. Generally stock speakers without amplifier last 2 years on regular usage and have a life of 1 year with an amplifier.

So you can consider these options:-

1. Retain the stock speakers, or replace them again and again every 2-3 years with Mahindra or manufacturer provided (Onkyo in case of Scorpios) speakers whenever they are dead. Retain the round rear speakers in the tailgate. No major changes to your vehicle, as good as original be happy with the radio output. Peace of mind and no money wasted. Life is simple but happy. Also note it's illegal to play music while driving.

Remember Greed is the root cause of all evils. (Greed evolves from desire. Desire is is simply to want something very much. The English word "greed" usually is defined as attempting to possess more than one needs or deserves. We're taught from childhood that we shouldn't be greedy.

2. For a perfect suitable system and satisfaction, go for a 4 channel amplifier within a range of 40-55 watts RMS, upgrade to components in the front and oval co axials in the rear (front and rear speakers preferably from the same brand). Budget Rs 25000 including wiring, power kit, rca's and hi low convertor. Recommended Brand Rockford Fosgate (Amplifier and Speakers)

Add a Rockford Fosgate sub woofer for Rs 8000 and complete your set up. You can easily remove the sub woofer when you travel full with 8 passengers, (practically you dont travel every trip/day on Scorpio with 8 people on board). Power the sub woofer from the rear channels of the amplifier and power the rear co axial speakers directly from the head unit. You can also consider round co axials (slight decrease in bass output) if you are adding a sub woofer as extra bass will be seen from the sub and co axials are used to fill in the rear.

Get your doors dampened with 5 sheets which will cost you Rs 4200 and enhance the sound performance by another 20%.

So within Rs 40000 you can pamper yourself, Life is short so just enjoy every day. LIFE FREE... LIFE YOUNG. Who knows what may happen next, so Live to the fullest.

Incase you want better or higher outputs be ready to spend between Rs 1-1.4 lakh. and there are budgets upto 14 lakh in the Rainbow stables and from others too.

So Doctor, rest is in your choice [:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
rajan thats great bro .Real knowledge about the ICE world . here is what i was thinking of doing .
1) Front : Components of MTX or JBl/Pioneer
2) Rear : OVal speakers of Pioneer 500/600 watts fitted in box lets see which box would be available .
3) 4 Channel amp power all 4 speakers /hi low adapter to the head unit .

I hope this would suffice my bass need .
Can you suggest a good setup centre in mumbai ,andheri would be great .
Moreover i would like to avoid the door rattling at high bass and volume without actually doin the dampening hence would want an expert to fit in the speakers for me .

Kindly Suggest if i am on the right path or Alternatives if any for the above setup config

rajan thats great bro .Real knowledge about the ICE world . here is what i was thinking of doing .
1) Front : Components of MTX or JBl/Pioneer
2) Rear : OVal speakers of Pioneer 500/600 watts fitted in box lets see which box would be available .
3) 4 Channel amp power all 4 speakers /hi low adapter to the head unit .

I hope this would suffice my bass need .
Can you suggest a good setup centre in mumbai ,andheri would be great .
Moreover i would like to avoid the door rattling at high bass and volume without actually doin the dampening hence would want an expert to fit in the speakers for me .

Kindly Suggest if i am on the right path or Alternatives if any for the above setup config
Recommended to use front and rear speakers of the same brand for even distribution of sound. Regarding speakers first audition all of them and also look at Rockford Fosgate as it suits Scorpio better. Regarding shops in Mumbai I have no knowledge. And regards right path and alternatives better take advice from experts as am no expert, just a layman with a commerce degree.

Thread Starter #8
Does anyone know where i can get Pioneer Components in mumbai andheri west preferable .anyone who can show me different models of pioneer speakers.

Thread Starter #9
Hi Gurus ,
so here is what has been decided finally .

Installing a pair of Pioneer 500watts speakers in abox for the rear ,the front speakers are good but still would be upgrading to components later . A sony Amp to power all the 4 speakers with a choke to support the HU with The AMP.
This would be happening on Tuesday as the speakers are yet to arrive .
I have even thought of installing a fender mirror on the left side . Have ordered for 1 . The only problem is the available colors are black silver and white .so i have ordered the silver one which would be colored to brown before installing .

Will keep yourl updated .

Hi Gurus ,
so here is what has been decided finally .

Installing a pair of Pioneer 500watts speakers in abox for the rear ,the front speakers are good but still would be upgrading to components later . A sony Amp to power all the 4 speakers with a choke to support the HU with The AMP.
This would be happening on Tuesday as the speakers are yet to arrive .
I have even thought of installing a fender mirror on the left side . Have ordered for 1 . The only problem is the available colors are black silver and white .so i have ordered the silver one which would be colored to brown before installing .

Will keep yourl updated .
What is the rms per channel of the amplifier and ohms ?
Also what's the rms of the rear and components and ohms?

Thread Starter #11
Re:

Amplifer Rms : 120 per channel
Speaker 90 Per channel : Rear Components not decided yet

speakers and amp both are 4 ohms

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom