ICE for Honda Brio: Compact Dimensions

Thread Starter #1
Dear fellow TAIans ,

I own a Honda BRIO SMT (less than 2 weeks old) and am looking to upgrade my ICE in parts.

To Start with, my car is equipped with OE Head unit & four speakers & steering mounted controls, which do a decent job apart from the thump.
My older ride (Zen LXI 2003) has a Pioneer HU, JBL 4 Ch AMP, JBL 1200W Sub, JBL components, tweeters in front & JBL speakers in the rear (Sorry, I don't remember all the model details). All in all it produces some major thumping, considering a small car & used to Rock my car with Subwoofer at level '1' .[clap]

Now I miss the BASS in my BRIO. Initially I thought I could live with the OE ICE, and will not upgrade it for at least an year or so... but here I am, the itch to upgrade has already began, and where will I find a better place to discuss than TAI !! [:)]

1st phase requirements :

BRIO's boot is smaller than my Zen's, so my existing Sub wont even fit, and considering the already compact space, I want to keep the boot totally free.
So I guess my options would be a sub+woofer combo under the seat. I am aware that the performance might be no where close to the Zen's, however some thump is needed in life!!

The options that I could explore..
1) Xenos: XCT-ASW-160
Approx Price 8 K
Xenos

2) SteelMate: SW826
Approx Price 13.5-14k
Welcome To The World Of Steelmate - Car Audio

3) Focal: Bumba Under Seat Series
Approx Price : 11.5-12 K (These are just subs though, will need an added AMP)
Focal Subs Bus - Car Audio flat subwoofers Bumba under seat

Please suggest if any of these sound right to you guys ?
Any other product / combo that you suggest considering my space constraints ?
Does the sub fit under the driver's or co-driver's seat ?
Any discomfort factors ?

2nd phase requirements :
A good Touchscreen LCD HU that will fit in my double Din space, that has

1)Bluetooth Connectivity(Wanna make calls & access phone book if possible)
2)USB, AUX must (CD not mandatory). Should read videos from my USB storage.
3)Want to use GPS navigation on the screen. What else will I require for this(HW/SW)?
4)Would want to hook a reverse camera to it.
5)Has to work with my steering audio controls.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
1)Bluetooth Connectivity(Wanna make calls & access phone book if possible)
2)USB, AUX must (CD not mandatory). Should read videos from my USB storage.
3)Want to use GPS navigation on the screen. What else will I require for this(HW/SW)?
4)Would want to hook a reverse camera to it.
5)Has to work with my steering audio controls.
hey buddy i think single high end gps from mmi can also full fill these needs but well am unsure about usb feature..anyway am not ice expert. wait for gurus to reply!

The options that I could explore..
1) Xenos: XCT-ASW-160
Approx Price 8 K
Xenos

2) SteelMate: SW826
Approx Price 13.5-14k
Welcome To The World Of Steelmate - Car Audio
Buddy, I would seriously hesitate to taste flavors from Xenos regarding Car audio. Xenos is not that renowned in this area, moreover the product you have mentioned is an active shallow mount sub which are complex products and I doubt Xenos would have got them right. I would suggest you to go for a shallow mount sub (something like : Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 10-Inch Shallow Subwoofer with 1200 Watts Max Power: Electronics) in a sealed box kept vertically in the boot, powered by a 4-ch amp that can facilitate your future expansions. Also, I have not heard of Steelmate brand.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #4
Buddy, I would seriously hesitate to taste flavors from Xenos regarding Car audio. Xenos is not that renowned in this area, moreover the product you have mentioned is an active shallow mount sub which are complex products and I doubt Xenos would have got them right. I would suggest you to go for a shallow mount sub (something like : Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 10-Inch Shallow Subwoofer with 1200 Watts Max Power: Electronics) in a sealed box kept vertically in the boot, powered by a 4-ch amp that can facilitate your future expansions. Also, I have not heard of Steelmate brand.
freakdude.
Thanks freakdude, but again the pioneer amp + enclosure you mentioned will eat up half of my already compact boot which I wanted to avoid. Hence I was looking for something that can go under seat and keep boot totally free.

Thanks freakdude, but again the pioneer amp + enclosure you mentioned will eat up half of my already compact boot which I wanted to avoid. Hence I was looking for something that can go under seat and keep boot totally free.
Under seat subs produce damp vibrations that even furthermore cancel out a lot due to seat being very close. I'd suggest you have the sub in the boot and detach it when you need the full boot for something. Moreover, you can place 8" or at max 10" (not sure of 10") sub under the seat comfortably, so , another option is to have components and coaxials in front/rear and amp them. Run the components ar FULL phase rather than HPFed. You'll get enought bass. [:)]

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6
Under seat subs produce damp vibrations that even furthermore cancel out a lot due to seat being very close. I'd suggest you have the sub in the boot and detach it when you need the full boot for something. Moreover, you can place 8" or at max 10" (not sure of 10") sub under the seat comfortably, so , another option is to have components and coaxials in front/rear and amp them. Run the components ar FULL phase rather than HPFed. You'll get enought bass. [:)]

freakdude.
Thanks buddy for your inputs,
a quick question : what do you mean by "Run the components ar FULL phase rather than HPFed."
Will these speakers, front and rear go in the doors like the OE speakers ?

Also, I have JBL components & speakers in my Zen, but had to install a JBL sub & AMP later to get good Bass output.

Thanks buddy for your inputs,
a quick question : what do you mean by "Run the components ar FULL phase rather than HPFed."
Will these speakers, front and rear go in the doors like the OE speakers ?

Also, I have JBL components & speakers in my Zen, but had to install a JBL sub & AMP later to get good Bass output.
In a typical speaker/sub set-up, we HPF (high pass filter) the components to divert freequencies above the filter we have set and LPF the sub so it receives freequencies lower the LPF settings. A typical example is HPF and LPF at 80Hz.

Now, if you just amp the 4 speakers (components and coaxes) and you HPF the fronts so you'll miss out on the bass where as if you run FULL (also known as FLAT) then your components would produce decent amounts of bass too. Co-axials would anyways produce all notes as they don't have a X-over.

Just for reference I am attaching a pic to show the rear of an amp, well not THAT rear... [;)]

IMG_0558.jpg

Here you can see LPF-FLAT-HPF. On this switch just keep at FLAT.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #8
This explains a lot buddy.. Really helps.

If I understand you correctly, when I amp the components & co-axials, I leave both the switches to Flat..

I will go back home and check my JBL Amp for these switches.. [:)]

This explains a lot buddy.. Really helps.

If I understand you correctly, when I amp the components & co-axials, I leave both the switches to Flat..

I will go back home and check my JBL Amp for these switches.. [:)]
EGGJAACTLYYY!!! [glasses]

This setting shall remain only till you plan to add a sub in which case fronts will be HPFed and sub will be LPFed.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #10
EGGJAACTLYYY!!! [glasses]

This setting shall remain only till you plan to add a sub in which case fronts will be HPFed and sub will be LPFed.

freakdude.
You are a Guru!! [;)]

What I will do is, Over the weekend, I will remove the sub from my zen, change the switch in my JBL AMP and test. If I get some Bass, I will replicate it in my BRIO.

I will post pics if it gets confusing..

Thanks Again.

This is a pretty old discussion but my concern is something relevant to this, so posting it here. I have a 4-channel JBL GT-X646 amp installed in my Brio with JBL component speakers on front door and a subwoofer in the boot. I have the amp already set in the same way as you mentioned here (subwoofer on LPF and front component on HPF, Crossover frequencies set in some 45 deg angle in a 32-320 range and Input levels adjusted as required with the help of the JBL amp manual). I am using a Sony XAV22 receiver which is having another 'Crossover filter' setting, there is no option to disable this filtering in the receiver. My music system is giving decent output but I believe making proper settings on the receiver side can make it even better.

There is a whining sound from my speakers when I play songs in low volume. It increases with acceleration of the car. It is pretty annoying at times. Service centre guys told it may a grounding issue, but they couldn't resolve it (tried in 2 different service centres). :help:

I am a newbie here and I believe I have placed my questions in right place in right way! If not please correct me. [roll]

In a typical speaker/sub set-up, we HPF (high pass filter) the components to divert freequencies above the filter we have set and LPF the sub so it receives freequencies lower the LPF settings. A typical example is HPF and LPF at 80Hz.

Now, if you just amp the 4 speakers (components and coaxes) and you HPF the fronts so you'll miss out on the bass where as if you run FULL (also known as FLAT) then your components would produce decent amounts of bass too. Co-axials would anyways produce all notes as they don't have a X-over.

Just for reference I am attaching a pic to show the rear of an amp, well not THAT rear... [;)]

View attachment 50378

Here you can see LPF-FLAT-HPF. On this switch just keep at FLAT.

freakdude.

Attachments

Top Bottom