ICE Configurations For Different Budgets

Thread Starter #1
Folks, a lot of queries pour in the ICE section regarding what to fit in my car when i have this budget & we end up almost with the same replies in every post. So i decided to make a summary of what you can do with your car's ICE at various budgets.

Before that, a few assumptions -

1) Before discussing products, you need to know what the terms mean. So if at all you are confused, start with the Basic Info on ICE.

2) Many cars come with a stock head unit & speakers. While discussing products & budgets, we are not taking this into consideration. Some may prefer to use their stock head unit or even stock speakers, so minus that amount from the budget specified. If you are selling that HU, you may get the new HU cheaper in exchange, take that into consideration too.

3) These are just my views & i am not endorsing any brand in here. I have written only the brands i have heard of & there are many more products available in the market. Also note, not all brands are available everywhere, so keep your options open. So please do not add posts like 'why dint you specify this brand over this'.

4) In all budgets, I have specified just the brands, but not the products. Its impossible to list out all the products by different brands in one thread!

5) Finally, these are just my views & its not necessary everybody should agree to the same.

So lets start with the minimum to the maximum budget -

I] Rs. 10,000:

At 10k, you will get a basic head unit with 2 pairs of co-axial speakers. No components or amp will fit in this budget.

For head unit, I would recommend Pioneer, JVC, or Blaupunkt.
For co-axial speakers, i would recommend JBL or Pioneer.

II] Rs. 15,000:

For 15k, you can now opt for a better HU with USB port & 2 or more pre-outs for 7-8k & spend the remaining on 2 pairs of co-axials.

Head unit brands would be the same whereas for speakers, better brands like Illusion, Ground Zero, Polk, Kicker, etc. will also be available.

III] Rs. 20,000:

In 20k, you have a 2 options-

* First option is to invest 7-8k for a good HU, again 7-8k for nice component speakers in front, 3-4k for co-axials speakers in the rear & the remaining for a basic 2 channel amp to power the front comps (comps do need an amp).

* If you need a subwoofer in this budget, you can spend around 7-8k for HU, one pair of basic coaxial speakers for 4k for the front, basic sub for 5k & remaining amount for a 4 channel amp to power your front speakers & sub. In this, your setup wont have rear speakers, not something i would highly recommend but its fine if your rear seats are never occupied & you desperately need a sub.

Brands would be the same as mentioned above.

IV] Rs. 25,000:

In this budget, you can go for a good HU with 3 pre-outs & USB facility for 7-8k, good front component speakers for 6-7k, rear co-axial speakers for 3-4k, a good sub for around 4-5k, a good 4 ch amp to power your front compos & sub for the remaining amount.

V] Rs. 30,000:

Now you are talking!

I would recommend the same setup as above (Rs. 25,000) but i would add 1k or 2k more for a better sub or better amp & invest the remaining amount in wiring.

By wiring, i mean good quality wiring kits which include power cables, RCA cables, speaker wires, fuse, etc. Such a kit costs 2-3k.

VI] Rs. 35,000:

Now, this is the upper end of a budget system!!! Now you have the liberty of many options-

* You can go for a double DIN head unit for 10-15k & then compromise a bit on speakers, sub or amp. Else you can go for higher end single DIN HU like Clarion or Alpine which will cost you more but are much better for sound quality.

* Else, you can also go for a Pioneer HU for 7-8k, front components for 7-8k, rear co-axials for 4-5k, a good sub for 7-8k, 4 ch amp for 7-8k & 3k for wiring.

In this budget, you will get a much better amp & sub. Moreover, you have the flexibility to choose how much to spend on what. maybe you can even omit rear speakers & opt for a better amp or sub.

Here, you dont need to look at low end products & you can select the best HUs from pioneer, Clarion, Alpine & the good speakers from Rockford Fosgate, Illusion, Ground Zero, higher end JBL, etc.

You can also select better amps from JBL, Pioneer, etc.

VII] Rs. 40,000 & above:

This is dreamland! Now you are talking real business & serious money.

Anything above this is not worth discussing. You have unlimited options! You can have the best & expensive products, higher end or premium range speakers, explosive amps, stylish touch screen HUs, earth shattering subs & what not!

You can even add two subwoofers & you can even connect them to mono amps! If you are interested, you can even install your subs in custom made fibre enclosures & add some fancy lighting to make it look bling bling!

Rajeev, excellent thread.

You know Punto's speakers are not upto the mark. Since I have HU already (Blaupunkt), what is your suggestion for improving sound effect with same HU. Budget is not a constraint.

Thread Starter #3
I assume you are talking about a new HU & not the OE HU that comes with the punto.

since budget is not an issue, opt for the best. The most popular choice in high end systems are-

AMP-

Infinity Kappa4
Alpine F600
image Dynamics
DLS Rs-40
Rainbow iPaul

Components-

Illusion Nd 6.1 (carbon series) - Rs. 25k
Infinity Kappa Perfect
DLS R6A
Rainbow CS 265.25
JBL GTI MKII

Sub-

Ground Zero RW 12XD-AL - Rs. 12k (Radioactive series)
Ground Zero HW 30X - Rs. 25k (Hydogen Sub)
Rockford Fosgate Punch
Infinity 120.9

Damping-

Dynamat
Noisekill

Wiring-

Monster cables
Kicker
Earthquake
Scosche

Also, i hope your HU is good enough to power all these equipment. else reduce your budget for speakers & opt for a good HU. Rest assured, you car will rival a home theater after this!

HU-

Pioneer P99RS
Alpine CDA-117
Clarion DXZ785USB
Kenwood X693 / 993

With a heavy pocket, you can also invest in 2 subs & mono amps. else you can go for the best wiring (0 guage!) & also invest in a capacitor.

Well, I feel it depends on what you need.

For a budget of Rs 10000, I see it wiser to go in for a pair of front comps as well as a 2RCA HU if you generally drive alone. For a Rs 15000 budget, add a 2ch amp and a pair of Rear co-axials.

Thread Starter #5
Well, I feel it depends on what you need.

For a budget of Rs 10000, I see it wiser to go in for a pair of front comps as well as a 2RCA HU if you generally drive alone.
Comps without an amp??? Comps run flat without an amp. If you dont have an amp, better buy co-axials.

So, comps + amp + HU wont come in 10k.

For a Rs 15000 budget, add a 2ch amp and a pair of Rear co-axials.
2 pre-out HU : 6k
basic comps : 4k
basic co-axials : 3k
2 ch amp : 3k

how would that fit in 15k?

Well, this is from personal experience. Time and again, I've said that my i10's comps+HU are much better than my Indigos 2*co-axials + HU. I wonder how hard it is to understand that. Nevertheless, I'm getting an amp and 2 Hyundai rear co-axials to up the performance.
16k ~ 15k.

Thread Starter #7
Arkin, it totally depends on what you are comparing to what. If you are comparing your bostons to stock co-axials in indigo or some crappy co-axials, of course, it will sound better.

compare your boston comps without amp to same comps with amp. Also, we are talking about 2 pairs of co-axials, not two speakers. IMO, 4 co-axial speakers sound better than 2 component speakers without an amp. nothing is hard to understand!

Of course, i am yet to see a good setup having compos without an amp. You may or may not agree. this is precisely the reason i had stated this-

Before that, a few assumptions -

3) These are just my views ....... So please do not add posts like 'why dint you specify this over this'.

5) Finally, these are just my views & its not necessary everybody should agree to the same.

Last edited:
compare your boston comps without amp to same comps with amp. Also, we are talking about 2 pairs of co-axials, not two speakers.
I was obviously referring to 2 pairs of co-axials.
Oh, and I do agree that comps need an amp, that's why I'm getting a JBL fitted next month. I just feel comps are better anyday having had many cars with 2 pairs of c0-axials.[:)]

Thread Starter #10
@ RSM : If you are using the OE HU, then it wont have the required pre-outs.

What you can do is install a line-out converter with a 4/7 band equalizer. Install a good 4 channel amp, go for nice component speakers in front & in rear too, since you are saving on subwoofer!

Get good quality wiring & damping & you are done! I wish i had the budget like you!

Good thread Raj! I fall in the budget band of 35k with a decent HU , a mono , a 2channel amp, two subs , front comps and rear co-axials. Now all i need to do is change the enclosure of the subs! And yes i have added all these to my cars recently , will update shortly in my thread!

And hey i would personally never recommend two sub-woofers in any car , the mistake which i did! One in more than enough even for show-off! Many people including me are under the impression that two subs , more thump , more sound , more show-off but sadly this is not true! Instead of spending on another sub its better to utilize that money by going in for better brands!

Just my personal experience , am no expert in ICE!

Thread Starter #12
Hi dhaya, actually two subs are recommended by many installers as a pair of subs sound nice & crisp. yes, even one sub is enough for show off but two subs are preferred for show off as well as SQ!

Is it? I have to experience the SQ in a car fitted with one sub then! But for show-off one is definitely enough , maybe for better SQ as you said two might be good. But most people fit subs only for show-offs![;)]

Thread Starter #14
Hey, not me! i dont show off with my sub. Infact i like my sub to be soft & pleasant, not loud & harsh!

so, my amp is set to low gains, my bass boost is set on '1' & even sub volume is set at '1'!!!

Top Bottom