Tubeless Tyre Sidewall Punctured. Now What?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All.
I used to park my i20 outside my office, where some cop punctured my car's front left tubeless tyre by nailing (using SUA). [frustration]
They nailed on side walls of the tyre. Then i went to a nearby puncture shop, he told that this puncture cannot be repaired, if done there are chances of tyre burst. He advised to put a tyre tube in it. That time asked him to place stepney and kept the punctured tyre in car's boot.
My i20 is having alloy wheels except in stepney and the black rim stepney does not look nice. So now i want to put the original alloy wheel tyre in place.
How can i do it? 1. Shall i put tyre tube in the punctured tyre and use it. Is it safe to have tyre tube in a tubeless tyre?? Also do i need to have wheel balancing done since i am placing tube in the left front tyre?

2. Or should i take stepney tyre and put it in the alloy wheel and use it. Can we put a new tyre (using stepany tyre first time, so its new) in front. Or new tyre should be used in rear?? Do i need tyre rotation in this case. Currently ODO is 6.5 K.

I need to have everything perfect as it was before because i drive on highways most of the times at speed 100- 140 kmph. So i need a wise and precise decision.

Please advice.

Re: Urgent: i20 tubeless tyre issue

I am not sure about the tube in a tubeless tyre but yes you can change the alloy wheel of the tyre having issue and change it with spare tyre. There should not be any issue with new tyre at the front. Because anyone buy a new car all tyres are new, right !

Secondly, get your tyre checked from couple of punture venders at different parts NCR before discarding it as complete damaged one.

Hope this will ease down your fear a little.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

put the damaged rubber into the stepeny tyre and add a tube and use the alloy with the rubber which is not damaged.

not safe to use 1 tube tyre with 3 tubeless tyres. it's better to have that tube tyre as stepeny and get wheel alignment and balancing done.

and don't worry a tube in tubeless tyre should be fine , no need to worry.

just visit a few shops but i don't think it can be corrected. only thing you can do is to put a tube in the damaged rubber and use it as stepeney.

Last edited:

This looks to be complex issue with tubeless tyres[frustration], I did not face any puncture sofar, but really worried if it happens, how to handle it. Even my new bike tyres are tubeless. Can some body explain how to handle these tubeless tyres[:)]

Your mech might be correct in saying that sidewall repairs are not the ones that last, but it greatly depends on the extent of the damage. For the time being, as allhyundaicars suggested, you can switch the rubber from the stepeny to the alloy and move the punctured rubber with tube to the steel wheel. Find a decent tyre repair shop and show then your tyre if they can do a permanent and safe fix for it.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6

Your mech might be correct in saying that sidewall repairs are not the ones that last, but it greatly depends on the extent of the damage. For the time being, as allhyundaicars suggested, you can switch the rubber from the stepeny to the alloy and move the punctured rubber with tube to the steel wheel. Find a decent tyre repair shop and show then your tyre if they can do a permanent and safe fix for it.

freakdude.
Hi Freakdude,
The puncture is so minute that it can not be seen with ease. But yes you can hear the hissing noise when the air is leaking.One of my friend told me that he had similar situation and from a good tyre shop he could repair it. They did some heating and pasting kind of thing.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Hi Freakdude,
The puncture is so minute that it can not be seen with ease. But yes you can hear the hissing noise when the air is leaking.One of my friend told me that he had similar situation and from a good tyre shop he could repair it. They did some heating and pasting kind of thing.
this type of puncture's are done inside the rubber and not from outside. in any case the alloy and rubber will need to be separated.

Hi Girdhar,
As suggested in the forum, please have the punctured tyre checked at multiple places before you decide to put in a tube. Safety-wise, putting in a tube will not make any difference but you will loose all benefits of the tubeless tyre. Also many repair shop try to scam by trying to sell the tubes at premium.
Since you say that the puncture is very small and considering that there is a single puncture, I am thinking that the repair person in question is trying to scam you. But I may be wrong.
However if truly the puncture cannot be repaired, then exchange the stepny tyre onto the alloy wheel and the tubed one in the stepny. You should not have any issues.

Also alloy tyres don't need to be balanced. Only steel rims need balancing. Considering you would be using the steel rim tyre only in case of emergency, immediate balancing is not required.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks a lot to Chayan and allhyundaicars and all . I will try to visit some reputed tyre agency or repaire shop and will share the things with you guys.

Hi Girdharecb,

First of all,How did cop puncture your tyre,Did you park your car at a wrong place? Secondly, i am not very sure/Confident on Putting a Tube in a Tubeless Tyre, Thirdly,Tubeless Tyres can be Repaired but you need to closely monitor the Entire Repairing Process because there are chances that the person might further Puncture it and rob you!

Be careful and Park your car where it's meant to be parked.

@Girdharecb:
My dear this is not a that big issue.
Every tubeless tyre can work well with a tube too.So you can get the tube installed without any worries.BUT I won't recommend to use this tyre even with a tube even as a spare tyre.

My recommendation is simple "Get a new tyre",yes you will loose some cash but it will give you peace of mind,confidence and most important SAFETY.
If the tyre is unfit then it can result in burst any time or say sudden punctures at high speed by causing major damages to tube,which can be very dangerous at good speeds especially on the roads like NH-8(which has dense and MAD traffic).At least I myself can never fit a spare tyre which is not fit on my car for even a kilometer.

So my advise will be completely different but I am firm on my advise "Get a new tyre".

Re: i20’s Tubeless Tyre Punctured from Sidewall - Now What?

@Girdharecb:
My dear this is not a that big issue.
Every tubeless tyre can work well with a tube too.So you can get the tube installed without any worries.BUT I won't recommend to use this tyre even with a tube even as a spare tyre.

My recommendation is simple "Get a new tyre",yes you will loose some cash but it will give you peace of mind,confidence and most important SAFETY.
If the tyre is unfit then it can result in burst any time or say sudden punctures at high speed by causing major damages to tube,which can be very dangerous at good speeds especially on the roads like NH-8(which has dense and MAD traffic).At least I myself can never fit a spare tyre which is not fit on my car for even a kilometer.

So my advise will be completely different but I am firm on my advise "Get a new tyre".
+1000 Vipul, yes safety and peace of mind first, rest all next. No experiments at the cost of safety

^^Thanks for support buddy.No doubt safety must be the highest priority.

My point is simple:Such punctures leave minor deformations on the inner surface of tyre walls.Now in case the tube is fitted then tube will also never be in perfect shape inside the tyre and hence this can result in pressure differences also inside the tube itself also irregular inner lining of tyre can cause abrasions on tube and when the car is driven then under the very high pressure of revolutions etc many other forces also come into play and this can result in sudden burst of tyre or tube inside it which can cause serious issues.

^^Thanks for support buddy.No doubt safety must be the highest priority.

My point is simple:Such punctures leave minor deformations on the inner surface of tyre walls.Now in case the tube is fitted then tube will also never be in perfect shape inside the tyre and hence this can result in pressure differences also inside the tube itself also irregular inner lining of tyre can cause abrasions on tube and when the car is driven then under the very high pressure of revolutions etc many other forces also come into play and this can result in sudden burst of tyre or tube inside it which can cause serious issues.
Perfect science Vipul[clap]

TUBE in a TUBELESS TYRE some thing sounds odd to me which kills the whole purpose and technology !!

TUBE in a TUBELESS TYRE some thing sounds odd to me which kills the whole purpose and technology !!
My dear,tube in a tubeless tyre is never an issue.The issue is "Tube in an irreparable tubeless tyre".
Else every tubeless tyre is designed such a way that it can accomodate a tube
safely but after the puncture the tyre gets its inner lining disturbed and this is dangerous.Also the tubeless tyres have a tougher inner lining as compared to the tube-type ones and hence the chances of tube getting cut or burst inside the tyre are higher as compared to the tube type tyres.

Top Bottom