I Deserve, Because...I Desire and I Dream

Hi Friends,
My name is Vikram and friends often call me Sam.
I am proud owner of Maruti 800 (1986) and Zen Estilo (2008), both of the cars are adopted as Invalid vehicles, because I am 100% disable and both of my legs do not work.
My childhood was much like as the normal kid, except for the fact that I use to watch other kids playing in playgrounds of my School and my Colony and day dreaming that I am driving a bicycle or a bike with my best friends, who often gives me ride on their bicycles.
Word 'Dream' was important for me in true sense as I grow up with desire to fly an Airplane, because of the fact that my father was Aeronautical Engineer in HAL and with all kind of Aircraft's around me. Simple Dream was to fly an aircraft and at-least drive a 4x4 in Himalayan Rally.
With time, that dream became a passion for me and when I was in 9th class, I got my first Engine powered Tricycle, and that was TVS 50 moped converted to my needs with 3rd wheel. I was not satisfied with the performance of that trike as it was under powered vehicle which overheats often. So my engineering started with modifying that trike so that the looks of that trike should suits my personality and passion, also it should give the performance.
I spend next 3-4 years modifying that trike with the fabricator of that trike in Kanpur, however, with no proven results. Later the engine was replaced with Kinetic Spark 50 CC motor, and so the entire structure, which was designed and fabricated by me in 1992. But I lost that trike in Delhi in 1994 in accident.
I later years, I designed as add on unit for my Girnar Leo 150 scooter, which was a big failure, and also a trike which was famous as 'BUGGY' in Kanpur, derived from same 'Girnar Leo 150 scooter'.
In 1997, I designed a side car for my LML Select scooter, which was remain my best friend till 2006.
In 2006, after much efforts, and confusion, I decided that is time to switch on to car for basic needs, but the question was, how to adopt that car to my needs?
One of my relative in Delhi offered his 1986 Maruti 800 to me in just 25K, so that I can convert and test that car my use.
On 27th March 2006, I bought that car to Mohali (Chandigarh) from Delhi, and spend 2 sleepless nights thinking that how to convert that car. On 30th morning, I approached one of the car mechanic, who was known to my friend.
I discussed all my designs and experience with that guy, initially he refused to start working on that car as he was not sure if the idea that I bought will work or not, but later he agreed to work on my risk.
We started working on the car on 31st March 2006 morning with all the dreams in my eyes which was as old as me. The basic design was to shift the Accelerator pedal to left (I can press lightly with my left leg), modify the break pedal with a long curved pipe, so that I could use the break with my right hand and plant a clutch lever on that pipe, just like we have on bike. Entire motor market was gathered at that place, betting that if the system will work or not.
After 6 hours of painful work, I was ready to test the car, we fired the engine, I pressed the Accelerator pedal thinking that its now or never... and... it worked.
Next was to test the clutch, I pressed the clutch lever with my hand, and engaged the 1st gear, the car was stand still, vola...., that what we want....the mob in the market started shouting and congratulating me that we made it.
I took the first test drive with mechanic around the market.
With minor adjustments, the car started talking to me, saying that, dear, time is yours now...fly where ever you want with me. I was so happy with the results, we tested the system and the car for another 4-5 hours on the wide open roads of Mohali/Chandigarh.
I drove this car around Shiwalik foothills and on various highways and clocked 50,000 KM in just 2 years. This 800 is still with me, and waiting for restoration program.
In mid 2008 I purchased Zen Estilo and adopted the same time tested system. With my new friend, I drove around 'Rohtang Pass' (3 times), Jalori Pass and various other destinations in Himachal, Uttrakhand, and entire North India. After 60000 KM's, Estilo is still a hot knife in butter.
Now the next dream and desire is to own a 4x4 SUV and travel Khardung La Pass and entire length - breadth of the country.
You will find it silly or you may say, what so special in all this, but for me, these are the mile stones of my life, when I lived up my dreams and dreaming to live longer with my dreams.
I will post the pics of my trike and adaptations in my car, if you wish to see my achievements.

Dear Sam
Have you heard about Limousine auto care,New Delhi.They can customize your car.My dad have muscular dystrophy,he carries a motorized wheel chair with him.We made minor customizations in our Eeco to accomodate his chair. There I also saw some vehicles that he customized for handicaps.

Dear Sam,

DREAM is the only driving factor to reach our desired destination. I heard that our positive thoughts creates the positive vibration along our side to make the dream come true.

Dream more. Explore more the length and breath of the India & World.

Congrats for your earlier projects, Wishes for your upcoming projects.

Thread Starter #18
Hello friends, thanks for such a warm response and good wishes. I was not in touch with this forum because of my illness and later I was too busy to recover from the losses in my work.
In between, my Maruti 800 was scarped because of very high bill of restoration. However, I purchased Tata Nano in July for my wife. Excellent vehicle for small family.
In Nov. 2014, I completed my dream to explore Sangla and Chitkul at my own and driving my car there. After completion of this 5 day cruse, I realized that I was driving on one of the deadliest and difficult roads of the World. Will post a complete experience later.
Yesterday, took a test drive on Gurkha and impressed with capabilities of the vehicle. I feel that this vehicle is designed for me and instantly planned to buy this car in next few months.
I need valuable comments and reviews from GURU's for this vehicle, if I should go for it or to think and wait for another 4X4.

Hello Udit, sorry for such a late response.
There are so many people who actually customized the cars to support the disables, however, there is one common factor applicable to all these business owners that they charge such a hefty amounts for II world war technologies that its really difficult for a person to go for that.
I find my self in such a situation where I was quoted by one of the garage owner in Delhi for customizing my Maruti 800 in 2006 as high as 30K, which was actually done in 700/- in Chandigarh by me and my friend.
I converted many manual transmission cars for my friends and others in nominal cost, which was quoted as high as 30-40K in market.
Could you please post the pics of the Eco, customized for your Father.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam,
how come I missed this superb thread.
I dont know your age Saini Sahab, (that's what Chief SAM wrote for you), I am 55 and started driving at 10 my fathers black amby.
last month I was in India, and did the Kanpur Delhi-Gurgaon trip in my '14 WagonR in just 7 hours, the same journey on the 90's I used to take 9+ hours.
Your passion & compassion for wheels is addictive, will surely like to catch-up with you sometime in future.
God Bless
Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #20
Hello Vinod Ji,
You can call me Sam, that's what everyone calls me. My age is 40. I spend 27 years in Chakeri, as my father was in HAL.
I covered the Delhi- Kanpur span in 6 hours on Indica, way back in 2003, when Golden Quadrilateral was about to complete. Before that this route was 9-10 hours drive till from Rama Devi to Ashram Chok in Delhi. Love to meet you in personal, after all a Kanpuria can understand and love the passion of Kanpuria brother...[:D]

Hi Sam! Welcome to TAI. Your words are inspiring . You are a true enthusiast brother. I wish all your dreams come true.[clap]
Nothing can stop you untill you have that fire in your heart to do something .

Hello Vinod Ji,
You can call me Sam, that's what everyone calls me. My age is 40. I spend 27 years in Chakeri, as my father was in HAL.
I covered the Delhi- Kanpur span in 6 hours on Indica, way back in 2003, when Golden Quadrilateral was about to complete. Before that this route was 9-10 hours drive till from Rama Devi to Ashram Chok in Delhi. Love to meet you in personal, after all a Kanpuria can understand and love the passion of Kanpuria brother...[:D]
sure sam, we should meet up, I live in Lal Bunglow KDA Colony, actually work in Riyadh, and do atleast 2 trips a year...next year by this time, we will be flooded with a plethora of wheels, with unlimited choice, lets hope for the best, as my handle says am waiting for the AMT equipped Nano to finally lay my hands on.
regards
vinod

Thread Starter #24
Re: I Deserve, because... I Desire and I Dream

Welcome to the forum SAM, Hats off to your power of living the dreams. [clap]
I am glad to find an Automotive Enthusiast like you and I'll try my best to help you with ideas.
The clutch can be fitted on the gear lever. I'll post the diagrams soon. The brakes can be the same as your Maruti 800
Also the accelerator can be modified into a notched lever. I am trying to make a solenoid controlled cruise control for my car. If it succeeds then I'll surely tell you about that.
Hi Shantanu, sorry for late response, can you pls send the details, it will be helpful for my Safari.

Hi Friends,
My name is Vikram and friends often call me Sam.
I am proud owner of Maruti 800 (1986) and Zen Estilo (2008), both of the cars are adopted as Invalid vehicles, because I am 100% disable and both of my legs do not work.
My childhood was much like as the normal kid, except for the fact that I use to watch other kids playing in playgrounds....................when I lived up my dreams and dreaming to live longer with my dreams.
I will post the pics of my trike and adaptations in my car, if you wish to see my achievements.
Sam, what an extra-ordinary life you've lived! Yes, we certainly look forward to seeing more of you & your creations on these pages. Being handi-capped is an unfortunate fact of life - but over-coming it to live your dreams! Yes, that's truly the stuff of dreams. Welcome on board - and we look forward to more experiences from you!

Best regards,
Shashanka

Oh wow! How I missed this introduction? Hats off to you Sam, enthusiasm jas immense energy, nothing can contain it - hence enthusiasts do fly.

Although it is already over 3 years since you joined in, but still would request you to share the design you have adopted, it will be helpful for many more, who have dreams but may have given up.

Top Bottom