Hyundai Verna VGT CRDi SX (2009): Should I Buy?

Thread Starter #1
I have been looking for a used car and came across a 2009 Model Hyundai Verna VGT CRDI SX variant in white color. The vehicle was listed on OLX and asking price is 2.6 lac. The car has clocked 1.3 lakh on odo and is owned by doctor.

I offered a price of 2 lakh and the owner agreed with that. Should I go ahead and buy it?

What should I check before buying it?
What are niggles I can face in future?
Need valuable suggestions from members.

What's the resale value of the car now? What should be the best price?

Attachments

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
The car only has 3 years of life left according to the 15 year rule. Do check if the registration certificate can be extended in your city.

At 1.3 lakhs there will be many parts waiting to go kapoot. Do ask the owner what all recent replacement he has done in his car.

My santro had engine oil seal leakage around the same km mark, after few days there was a leakage in the transmission box. After some time the whole transmission box needed to be replaced with a second hand part.
Do check the health of the turbo if there is one. Suspensions needs to be checked plus the battery health and tyre health. Underbody plus silencer should be checked for rust. Another things is the clutch.
Take along a good mechanic and get the car checked with him. He will do a better diagnose.
I would say get a decent petrol hatchback at this price. Diesel commands a premium too in getting it serviced. If your daily running is not more than 50kms a day then don't think of buying a diesel.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Although I have replied on pm, just to benefit other members too ,I would like to advice/share on open forum too.

Modern diesel engines are very robust,and can easily last 2 lakh kms.Just ensure that in the service history booklet all oil changes has been done timely.The older gen Verna is quite solid and a well built sedan. Regular maintenance and oil changes, if done timely will ensure good life of engine in future.Try to get full service history from ASS and the owner.
Before buying:
Try to get full service history from ASS and the owner.That will give you clearer picture.
How well did the interiors age? An abused car will show in the interiors.Well kept interiors are encouraging.
Verna has a chronic problem of Black smoke from exhaust. Is it therein your car ?
Verna had boat like ride and handling,so be aware of it.
Ask for a full service History Report from hyundai. That will give you a good look at what the car has been through like accidents/recall/repairs etc

P.S But if your running is less than 500 kms a month,you should look at petrol car option.

Last edited:
No offense to Hyundai Owners,
Hyundai's have life for upto 5 years (You can push it to the extreme limits , the ride will be damn strong ), but post 5 years , irrespective of kms , it shows its issues , starting from Steering issues (If Hydraulic Power steering, it shows , Steering oil seal getting worn off , if electronic , rack/column issue), also if diesel engines, Turbo Oil leaks to even more complex Engine Oil leaks .

For 5 Years one can get a best VFM , performance oriented ride from Hyundai .

Top Bottom