Hyundai Verna Fluidic Automatic OR Chevrolet Cruze Automatic?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys !!

Well way back last year (in June), I announced that my fluidic Crdi A/T will arrive in 3 months time. To my dismay it hasn't [frustration]

I wont blame the dealer (Koncept Hyundai;New Delhi), because the car is needed for a person who is differently abled; which is me. I was busy getting medical certificate from a govt. hospital (a colossal task REALLY). I needed the certificate, which in turn will help me in getting excise duty concession (will be charged 4%, instead of 23%) and also road tax exemption. Overall benefit of around 2 lakhs, thnx to the government.

Now after the hoopla of the fluidic has settled a bit, I am inclined towards cruze too.

I am a boy with habit of uncle type driving that is; slow, sane and err slow [lol] Too many negative comments on bad suspension of fluidic has kind of sent me in a shell, prompting me to rethink my decision of buying fluidic. Do you think after a year, Hyundai has found a solution of suspension issues? [Maybe recent buyer would like to throw some light on it].

I intend to keep the CAR ( whichever I possess eventually) for five years. Will be driving around 40-50 km a day in NCR and Delhi. Knowing all these facts, which car would you say I should go for. I have no intentions of td'ing a car. So please give your valued opinions, at the earliest.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Warm Regards,

If money is not a criteria, then go for the cruze. Its an amazing car. But keeping the car for next 5 years means cruze will loose it resale value badly, on the other hand verna will have a slightly not so bad depreciation. I dont think hyundai has found any permanent solution for the suspension issue. But in my view , a normal driver wont find any problem with the suspension. I havent found anything wrong with my Verna's suspension. But it does scrap speed breaker under heavy load. But i have experienced this scrapping in my friend's Cruze as well. The new cruze is coming some what in april. you might wanna wait for it till then.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Jerwin for such quick reply. you nailed it in you first sentence, money matters a lot; hence the diesel. Dad too opined the depreciation thing. Guess I should start forgetting the 2.0 ltr beast already. [evil]

May I know the variant of your verna. Do you happen to know anyone having a/t version of verna fluidic?? If yes then what are his reviews. I guess we do not have any verna a/t on TAI yet ( 4 speed box the culprit??)[confused]
Is you Verna a recent one ??

@guzzler. thanks for bringing this topic of differently abled. I'm also one.

I had purchased Cruze LTZ in 2010 but without these benefits you mentioned (Road tax & excise tax exemption).

Can you shed some light on these as I intend to purchase one in future.

If it is possible, can i claim reimbursement for the same which I had already paid in 2010.

Pls tell me everything in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
@guzzler. thanks for bringing this topic of differently abled. I'm also one.

I had purchased Cruze LTZ in 2010 but without these benefits you mentioned (Road tax & excise tax exemption).

Can you shed some light on these as I intend to purchase one in future.

If it is possible, can i claim reimbursement for the same which I had already paid in 2010.

Pls tell me everything in detail.
Hi Tinny9. Buddy as for your purchase of 2010, I'm afraid you cannot claim the benefit now, as the formalities are to be completed within 11 months from the date of invoice. When you talk of differently abled, I presume, you mean that the body is affected not less than 50% (as it is one of the restriction) to claim the benefit. To know about the complete procedure please visit the website of "department of Heavy industry", where you will find a pdf file, having complete guide to claim the benefit. Please refer to the attachment to locate the file. Feel free to ask me for any other information. I'll be happy to help [:)]

Attachments

@guzzler.

thanks a ton buddy. yup my disability is more than 50%.
I got the above mentioned file, this is about excise tax.

Few querries:

1. wat abt road tax?

2. suppose i wanna buy a new car, will i get the car at reduced price or i have to file reimbursement for the excise tax reduction and I will get that later.

3. will this excise tax exemption be applicable on luxury cars (CKD only) also like BMW or AUDI, if yes then by how much?

4. Will this excise tax exemption be applicable on completely imported cars like Range Rover Evoque? if yes, then by how much as excise duty is different on CBU cars, I believe so?

In other words my next car will hopefully be either Range Rover Evoque or Q3 or BMW X3/X1 depending on cost reduction.

Thanks a ton again.

P.S. Abt your car, I think you shd go wait till May, then go for the New Cruze (163 bhp) with 6 speed auto. It is a brilliant car, I have driven more than 45000 km and still feel like new and still in love with her. Verna doesn't have the attitude of Cruze, although its good looking.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
@guzzler.

thanks a ton buddy. yup my disability is more than 50%.
I got the above mentioned file, this is about excise tax.

Few querries:

1. wat abt road tax?

2. suppose i wanna buy a new car, will i get the car at reduced price or i have to file reimbursement for the excise tax reduction and I will get that later.

3. will this excise tax exemption be applicable on luxury cars (CKD only) also like BMW or AUDI, if yes then by how much?

4. Will this excise tax exemption be applicable on completely imported cars like Range Rover Evoque? if yes, then by how much as excise duty is different on CBU cars, I believe so?

In other words my next car will hopefully be either Range Rover Evoque or Q3 or BMW X3/X1 depending on cost reduction.

Thanks a ton again.

P.S. Abt your car, I think you shd go wait till May, then go for the New Cruze (163 bhp) with 6 speed auto. It is a brilliant car, I have driven more than 45000 km and still feel like new and still in love with her. Verna doesn't have the attitude of Cruze, although its good looking.

---> I don't think that you can claim the benefit on imported cars, as excise duty is something "our" government charges on cars manufactured within India, be it any class. It is 23% on cars above 1200cc.

----> As for the method of gaining excise duty concession, I have done a copy+paste of the mail sent by Hyundai to me, after I contacted them to know about claiming the benefit.

---->To claim the road tax exemption, you will have to make an application (which you will submit in the Office of Commissioner of Transport Department), stating your requirements. You will need to enclose (a) Certificate issued by Department of Heavy Industry (b) Certificate issued by the the hospital. I'd also advise you to talk to the PRO of transport department of your place, for I'm not sure if every state is providing this benefit.

EMAIL SENT BY HYUNDAI MOTORS INDIA LIMITED: -

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for showing interest in Hyundai’s product.

About the models we hope our dealer has explained to you in length.

As far as the excise benefit discount is concerned, the formalities to be arranged by you are as follows:

A. Please note that following documents are mandatory for claiming Excise Refund on Car Sold to Handicap Person.

1. Demand draft for Rs. 200.00 in favour of “Vaidya Nathan Meenakshi & Co.” payable at Chennai.

2. Original blank money receipt in the format duly signed by customer on revenue stamp.

3. 4 copies of HMIL Excise Invoice (Excise Gate pass cum Delivery Challan).

4. 4 copies of dealer invoice.

5. 4 copies of Form 23 Registration Certificate.

6. Certificate from Department of Heavy Industry + 3 Copies

7. 4 copies of Certificate from Doctors.

7. Affidavit on Non Judicial Stamp paper of Rs.10 attested by Notary Public +3 Copies

8. All the copies should be attested by Notary Advocate.

9. All the documents need to be submitted to undersigned within 11 months from HMIL invoice date.

Format of Affidavit

Affidavit

I ……. (Name of customer) S/O ……, R/O ………do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:-

1. That I have purchased ……(Car Name) car from M/s Hyundai Motor India Limited.

2. That I have not availed the excise concession given to physically handicapped person on purchase of car in the last five years.

3. That I hereby declare that I shall not dispose the below car purchased under excise benefit scheme for a period of five years from its purchase. The details of the car are as under:-

Engine No……. Chassis No…….

Regn No. ……

4. That it is my true and correct statement

Signature of person in whose name car is registered

……..

Name and address of the customer

…..

VERIFICATION

Verified at …… (Name of city) that the contents of the above affidavit are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief...

Verified on the dated …… (Date)

DEPONENT

B. There is a ministry called “Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises” where “Department of Heavy Industry” issues the certificate regarding concession of excise duty based on the certificate issued by Car Manufacturer (Hyundai). First of all Hyundai will issue the certificate based on the Hospital certificate. The hospital issues the certificate as per format given in annexure –II of Notification No.06/2006- Central Excise dated 1.3.2006

We would also like to clarify that you would have to arrange all the documents and directly liaison with Hyundai Motor for refund of excise claim as the cheque would be made by HMIL in your favour.

As discussed kindly adhere to the time lines suggested for submission of the claim.

Please contact us for further clarification.

Thanks & Regards,

Aparna Bharadwaj

NRO 1 - Sales

Hyundai Motor India Ltd.

Ph: 011-41678800;

Direct: 011- 66379909

Is there a particular reason, behind you asking me to wait till May in order to go for cruze A/T ?

I am sorry for any flaws in the reply,if any.[roll]

Last edited:
I am asking you to wait till May because Cruze is being upgraded with new engine developed by FIAT. Engine: 2.0 liter producing 163 bhp.

I am hoping that it will be launched by May as SVP mentioned on the Car & bike show (Facebook).

Thanks.

I think Cruze is a great car to choose!!! Bigger engine, great looks and negligible complains!! But i would say test drive both and then make your decision!!

I am buying a Chevy Cruze myself but would strongly recommend that you go for the Verna instead. It's more spacious on the inside and has a lighter steering, which is better suited to city driving. The Cruze wasn't engineered for speeds of 40 – 50 km/hr.

I am buying a Chevy Cruze myself but would strongly recommend that you go for the Verna instead. It's more spacious on the inside and has a lighter steering, which is better suited to city driving. The Cruze wasn't engineered for speeds of 40 – 50 km/hr.
I wouldn't agree with you buddy. Cruze is a way much better car to drive than a verna, especially when he is getting an automatic which solves the heavy clutch problem.
Steering is also very nice for the city driving thing, because i am driving a cruze for around 1 and a half year in both bumper to bumper city traffic as well as fantastic highways and this car has never made me feel bad.
Yes the space problem is there but that too for the back seat only. Front seats are also much better than the verna.

Last edited:
For your needs, i would rather suggest the toyota corolla altis automatic, have you test driven it (the one with the 7 speed auto)?

For your needs, i would rather suggest the toyota corolla altis automatic, have you test driven it (the one with the 7 speed auto)?
Good suggestion Iron Rock, I recently saw the Altis made specially for 'differently abled' people which have swivelling seats which practically come out of the car to aid in ingress. I really feel you should have a look at that the price is 20-30k more than normal altis.

Cheers

Jazzy

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with iron rock, the Altis would be the perfect car for you. It has the most comfortable ride of em all, plus you already mentioned you dont need anything blisteringly fast!

I agree with iron rock, the Altis would be the perfect car for you. It has the most comfortable ride of em all, plus you already mentioned you dont need anything blisteringly fast!
Yes exactly what i thought - you dont need a cruze(i like the cruze by the way) + the T badge gives a peace of mind like none other - the whole point here being every suggestion has to be tailor made for the requirement for the owner[:)], you should test drive it before you conclude the buying process.

Top Bottom