Hyundai Verna CRDi SX Turbo Failure

Thread Starter #1
hi

I have a verna 2008 model SX Diesel, yesterday while driving in bangalore i felta sudden loss of my rpm and i could not acelerate my car . For my luck trident hyundai was nearby..they told the white smoke and knocking sound ( sound like nail put up in an empty steel container) was due to turbo failure .
How do we come to know that if its a real case or is there any other way i can know. If its a turbo failure , cani repair it or should i replace it.
Please advice.

Re: Verna CRDI SX Turbo failure

hi

I have a verna 2008 model SX Diesel, yesterday while driving in bangalore i felta sudden loss of my rpm and i could not acelerate my car . For my luck trident hyundai was nearby..they told the white smoke and knocking sound ( sound like nail put up in an empty steel container) was due to turbo failure .
How do we come to know that if its a real case or is there any other way i can know. If its a turbo failure , cani repair it or should i replace it.
Please advice.
Turbos,being high precison machinery, running at very high rpm, failure generally leads to considerable damage. In most of the cases, turbo failure is complete loss, and you might need to change it (I dont consider minor plumbing issues as failure). In many cases, you can continue run the car (drastically reduced output from car), but it will cause more harm to turbo (because of overheating).
You are lucky it failed near service centre. Let us know findings of service centre.

Were you following the method of idling the engine for a minute or two after a long drive????

This ensures the life of turbo.

I do this during every high speed/long drives.

Turbo of Verna i guess costs upto 60-70K......

Its ok,machines tend to fail at times,3 years back ,my 1 week old swift ditched me in midway home ,due to a failed starter motor,luckily i got replacement under warranty, you may need to claim your insurance as its gonna be an expensive affair.Please do update present status...

Its ok,machines tend to fail at times,3 years back ,my 1 week old swift ditched me in midway home ,due to a failed starter motor,luckily i got replacement under warranty, you may need to claim your insurance as its gonna be an expensive affair.Please do update present status...
How can a insurance cover the maintainance costs.

Only in case of accident if a turbo conks off then it can be covered.

@My first car: Were you abruptly turning off the engine after a drive, that might be the reason for turbo to fail.
Always idle the engine for a minute or two after the drive.

myfirstcar, the turbos like every one else above says is very sensitive to the way you maintain it, like idling when you start the car for 1 minutes and before you switch of the engine.
i hope your car is under warranty if not its very expensive to replace it, based on few others who had turbo damage after warranty on their vernas the turbo costs INR 68,000, taxes labour etc is extra.

vaibhav its important that you do so, how much time you going to waste in one minute? the cost of the turbo is expensive and once it gets spoilt diesel engines work like bullock carts until you fix/replace

Idle issues for turbos are from start

I am not sure if you guys are aware of this device called Turbo timers

I had a HKS Turbo timer on my skyline and a Chaser , What it actually does is you came from a long drive then the car is heated and the O2 (oxygen sensor) is connected to the turbo timer that reads the value and determines the idle time.

What you need to do is , just take the keys out and car will remain ON ( hands brake engaged, if you put hand brake down , Turbo timer Disconnects) .
The car will wait for Idle time .. normally 1-2 minutes unless you've been thrashing the engine.
You lock the car down and the car will automatically turn off in 1-2 minutes saves your turbo.

This is how you save your car's turbo for petrol cars. Prevents Oil coking

there is a guy in my building who switched over to a second hand swift vdi after owning and driving a sumo for years, he used to rev the engine right before switching it of like he used to in his sumo, his turbo seals were kaput. and needed a new turbo, its a pretty costly affair hence all manufacturers advise idling, when you first start up so the oil can circulate, and before you switch of so the turbo will cool down after spinning at very high rpms, the circulating oil also lubricates if the engine is turned of and turbo still spinning at high rpms- you can say good bye to it after some time.

Thread Starter #11
i was told that nowdays we can repair the turbo, which will hardly cost you 22k including the service charges.. he was also assuring me that many cars have been done there (trident Service) and till date no cmplaints....advice!!

May be a stupid question. But is this necessary idle is only for diesel cars or it is advisable to do this in petrol cars as well?

Sorry i am complete novice in automobile technicalities.

Suvo,
No question is stupid question that is the rule

I don’t think ideal time is required in Petrol powered vehicles available in India except Linea T-Jet this one is equipped with turbocharger.

its better to idle the petrol engine for at least 10-20 seconds just so that the oil reaches up to the camshaft but don't idle for a longer time as you will unnecessarily waste fuel and also tax the catalytic converter on petrol cars. While turning the engine of its not required but you could do it no issues.

I would say, its better to buy a new turbo instead of repairing it because in future it might give more trouble and damage to engine could be drastically high so prevention is better than cure.

Top Bottom