Hyundai Verna 4S Vs Whole Segment

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
IMG_20150218_124012.jpg

Buddies,

The new 4S Hyundai Verna has been launched in India on the 18th of Feb 2015 at an ex-showroom (Delhi) price of INR 7.73 Lacs. So, with launch of this new car the competition in the segment has further spiced up with City being the oldest leader and the much newer being the Maruti Ciaz among the others.

So, In the presence of all the competitors how well do you all think that the new Verna 4S by Hyundai shall fare? Will it be able to put forward itself as an effective and viable option?

It does have many segment 1st features this time but will the same 1.4 and 1.6 L engines be strong enough to drive Verna through competitively priced options of the segment?

Would love to know your comments on the same!

Regards

Akash

Re: Hyundai Verna 4S Vs Whole Segment.

I will be surprised if Hyundai can sell more cars because of this upgrade. There is nothing to look for in the upgrade. Removed rear disc breaks which was supposed to be segment differentiation and launching again with 4- speed automatic transmission. Hyundai is definitely audacious to use the same features (that was there for last several years) and rebrand to 4S, increase the price by 40-50K. Remember for last 5 to 6 months they were almost giving 60-80K range of discounts on Verna and as a buyer did not find any reason to pay more than 1 lakh rupees for this model (discounts + increase).

It is not only about the features which impress the people to buy one, but the more sleek and stylish sedan like finish than the outgoing model makes the Hyundai Verna to sell more than its competitors.

I am still unable to find a reason I'd like to put my money on Verna for.

• If power delivery and comfort is the concern then I'll pick a Vento or Rapid any day.
  • If I want an automatic sedan, then also a Vento or Rapid DSG has no match.
  • If build quality and dynamics are my preference, then it has to be a Ford Fiesta, Skoda Rapid, VW Vento or Honda City.
  • If seating comfort is all I need then Ciaz or City makes for the perfect case.
In terms of features, they made the ABS standard now, City has ABS and airbags standard since more than 5 years since the i-vtec came. Instead of focussing on some basic design points like how to add more to the passenger comfort, they are more inclined towards adding features and half of them are even less than seldom used. Where is the sat nav? Where is a touch screen interface? Where is a proper efficient and performer auto box?

All in all, Verna is still way behind the City when it comes to overall package. I agree that the car is comfortable and I don't have anything to complain with the rear seat. It's just that the rear seat is a bit low. Everything looks great inside but the seat is set a bit low; City has it perfectly set and cushioned and so are the Ciaz and VW/Skoda cousins.

Sorry for being a bit blunt but what exactly is their USP is a mystery now.

• Neither they have segment leading performance
  • Nor they have segment leading comfort and features
  • Nor the safety is their helm

[*]If build quality and dynamics are my preference, then it has to be a Ford Fiesta, Skoda Rapid, VW Vento or Honda City.
I think you forget Fiat Linea in this. It is way ahead of the rest, particularly in this category. The Linea T-Jet will run rings around all these cars the whole day without a sweat.

I think you forget Fiat Linea in this. It is way ahead of the rest, particularly in this category. The Linea T-Jet will run rings around all these cars the whole day without a sweat.
What about the Linea Multijet?

In fact even T-Jet also isn't any special thing. It has got dynamics but Fiesta has them better.
It has got performance but guzzles fuel when driven a bit hard, City has a way better performance and economy compromise. In fact City performs as good as a Linea in straight line!
It has got comfort but City and Ciaz beat it hands down in terms of comfort.

I know you own one and I don't have a motive to bash you or your car but I'd like to know from your side itself what exactly is the USP of Fiat Linea?

I do agree that Linea looks way better than everything else, in fact I love its looks and find them perfectly proportioned too.
I do agree that Linea has an exceptional ride quality with a tank like build. Seriously, I accept that Linea is built better than even my Corolla and drives way better than that.

BUT

I also agree that Linea isn't having a very comfortable cabin to be in, especially on the rear seats.
I also agree that Linea is blessed with three engines and none of the three suits its character.

Until Fiat gets a bit serious about the Linea, for me, it's out of competition and the sales figures also do indicate the same.

Are you telling me that Honda City gives you 16 kmpl when driven at 140 kph ? IF so, then I accept it. I seriously dont think one is ever concerned about the MID when you are experiencing the dynamic handling of a car.
The only car that matches up on dynamics is Fiesta- but it isnt better than Linea.
The City may have better leg room, but the Linea has the best seat squab (seat length beneath your legs). That is sometimes more important than the leg room itself. For that matter, even the Sunny/Scala have great legroom. But you havent even mentioned them.
You have got to be kidding when you count VW Vento, with its soft and clunky sounding suspension, as a good dynamic package.

Are you telling me that Honda City gives you 16 kmpl when driven at 140 kph ? IF so, then I accept it. I seriously dont think one is ever concerned about the MID when you are experiencing the dynamic handling of a car.
None of the cars mentioned by me or you give over 8-10 kpl on petrol if driven at good speeds and I can tell you that I have touched the 2 tonne mark on a couple of cars in the same segment and hence is quite aware of the FE drop one faces.

Do you believe that even the diesel cars also give 10 kpl when driven hard? I have got this figure on a couple of cars and that also at the speeds of 100-120 hardly(on dual carriageways)

Honda City definitely doesn't give 16 kpl when driven at 140 but it gives 17-18 kpl when driven at 100(with A/C) and Linea doesn't come close. And yes, those are not MID figures, but are real figures obtained using full tank method.

The only car that matches up on dynamics is Fiesta- but it isnt better than Linea.
You need to drive the older gen Fiesta S and you will understand what true razor sharp handling is.
Definitely Fiesta isn't better than Linea in overall ride-comfort compromise. In fact Linea is the segment benchmark here and is way ahead of others but the diesel engine is a let down. T-Jet is great but nothing special, at least after looking(and owning 1.8 one) at the TSi I can say that. Just have a look at the 1.2 TSi from VW and you will understand how a true blue turbo petrol with GDI is supposed to perform.

The City may have better leg room, but the Linea has the best seat squab (seat length beneath your legs). That is sometimes more important than the leg room itself.
I can't agree any more on this one. Having experienced all the generations of City extensively and experienced Linea too a bit of times(it should be 5-600 kms easily) I am really doubtful if I can find the spot on driving position as well as the seating comfort of a City in a Linea.

For that matter, even the Sunny/Scala have great legroom. But you havent even mentioned them.
They are a segment down. No offense to owners, that's my personal view.

You have got to be kidding when you count VW Vento, with its soft and clunky sounding suspension, as a good dynamic package.
Sometimes it is better to experience something than just following the word of mouth. I never found the nose of a Vento trying to be a rebel or not following my instructions.

BTW buddy you missed the NVH part, that's also where Linea excels.

All the views mentioned above are based on my personal experience and are not posted with a thought to offend anyone.

Another false propaganda by Hyundai is their cars are 5-star rated in terms of safety. Not Indian versions. Without having ESP, no car can get 5-star rating in crash tests. New elite I20 (Indian version) scored 3 stars in Australian NCAP and Hyundai is looking to add safety features to achieve higher ratings. Why do they cheat customers here in India with false information. Why Journalists attending launch sessions do not ask these basic questions?

@TSI Vipul - Sunny/Scala are very much in the picture- On what basis are they one segment lower? In terms of dimensions, they are very much on, in terms of features and performance, the same thing. In fact, I would put the petrol Etios also in this league, because of its 1.5 litre engine. It may be built to a cost, but so are most others, including the beloved Honda City. Even the top end City does not have a boot cladding, just to name a few cost cutting features.

If the segmentation is based on popular appeal, then the entire D-segment barring the Corolla and Elantra does not exist !

The debate above was so interesting @acechip and @tsivipul. I almost got lost myself as seeing where it ends. The cars these days are getting loaded with so many features and dynamics but we are always able to find mistakes so as too compare them. I personally own a Hyundai i20 and it's good in most of the things, but still I would love to owe a small car that is less in features or something but just drives well smoother and I don't have to take care of it much, like say Eon or Brio, that's it. Among the sedans, I feel bulky and not free in cities, but still, I would like to go with Linea as the performance and the amazing seats grab you to fit perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think nowadays all cars need to be "properly" taken care of, maintenance schedules adhered to, etc. There is too much riding on warranty that cannot be ignored. And therefore , there will be maintenance costs. Some manufacturers have longer service intervals, like Fiat/VW (15000kms/1 year).

@TSI Vipul - Sunny/Scala are very much in the picture- On what basis are they one segment lower?
Let me once again bring up what I wrote:
They are a segment down. No offense to owners, that's my personal view.
I hope now you will get what I actually meant.

See buddy, Caaaaar has as much space as a Corolla and as much engine capacity as a Fiesta but that makes it neither Corolla nor Fiesta, agree? There is a thing called feel good factor and that's what we pay the money for. I hope you are getting what I mean. What's the reason its said that Maruti's upcoming hatchback will be the i20 and Polo rival? Isn't Swift enough to rival them? It is, but it misses something and that something none of us can find if we use only brains.

In fact, I would put the petrol Etios also in this league, because of its 1.5 litre engine.
Going by this way:
  • Amaze and City are in same league as both have 1.5l i-dtec.
  • Verna and Elantra are in same league as both have 1.6 CRDi
  • Etios and Corolla are in same league as both have 1.4l D-4D
  • Sunny/Scala and Fluence are in same league as they have 1.5l DCi
  • Fortuner and Land Cruiser/Audi Q5 and Q7 are in same league as all of them have a 3.0l diesel engine.
  • Swift DZire is in the league of Linea as both have 1.3l MJD, in fact that makes Amaze premium to Linea!! [lol]
  • Zest and Vento are also in same league and so are Bolt and GT TSi as all have 1.2l turbo petrol engines.

[EDIT] One more one more, that makes Eeco(1.2l petrol) Premium to Ecosport Ecoboost(1.0l petrol)!! ROTFL
All above lie in same league, only cost cutting makes the difference; else the league is same if we go by your statement! Buddy you made my day, seriously :lol!:

It may be built to a cost, but so are most others, including the beloved Honda City. Even the top end City does not have a boot cladding, just to name a few cost cutting features.
You sit in cabin or boot?

If the segmentation is based on popular appeal, then the entire D-segment barring the Corolla and Elantra does not exist !
This one left me speechless. In fact this will keep me laughing for an entire month. Especially every time I get my hands on an Octavia or Jetta. Let's not go off topic any more, this discussion isn't gonna get us any productive results but can get a couple of infraction points for sure. :stupid:

Last edited:
no one sits in a boot but can be loaded to brim if needed, in that case open(naked) wires can be damaged.
but fact is the fact, wheel wells are also without any cladding. cheap cost cutting by Honda.
Dont worry Dadasaheb, @TSIVipul sees the segment differentiation only in his mind.

I call a spade a spade. Yes, I love my cars (Linea and Micra) but they are not above criticism. I dont ascribe to the blind faith that people profess to in the other brands.

Top Bottom