Hyundai Verna 4S Vs Whole Segment

no one sits in a boot but can be loaded to brim if needed, in that case open(naked) wires can be damaged.
but fact is the fact, wheel wells are also without any cladding. cheap cost cutting by Honda.
Sirji I agree that no one sits in the boot but do you carry such sharp objects in the boot which can damage the wiring? In fact I am doubtful if the boot of a sedan can be stuffed so much that it is possible to get the wires etc damaged by the goods.

I have owned numerous sedans in the past and have carried everything ranging from 100 kg wheat bags to blow and injection moulding dyes or even the dye and punch assembly parts in my cars. Not only for short distances but all the way from Meerut to Jaipur etc but I am yet to face the issue you are telling. Whether the covering is there or not, if there is anything so sharp or dangerous in the boot that can cut the wires- it will cut the wires even after penetrating the so-called hardboard covering else the wiring harness is so safely placed that there is no issue.

Vulnerable wires can be those of ICE reaching the speakers or woofers, they are hidden in which car?

What effect does the wheel well cladding actually make? That small hard plastic arch above the wheels is not supposed to do anything. Have you till date found a Honda City with engine components clogged with dirt or the body going out of sync due to rusting in wheel arches? And you will have to accept the fact that NVH is quite good in Honda City.

Nothing personal, but please bring up something that is really worth a word and we can have a healthy discussion over it.
Examples:
  • Engine of Corolla diesel
  • Rear seat legroom and headroom of Fiat Linea
  • Jump seats of Safari, no front facing third row!

Dont worry Dadasaheb, @TSIVipul sees the segment differentiation only in his mind.
Buddy please accept my bow, last night when I saw your post I was driving back home and just one line made my night. That way you made my day and night :stupid:
Maybe @TSiVipul sees the segment differentiation any ways but he is still sensible enough to understand the difference between the Etios and Rapid and is not daring enough to put them in same league just because Etios has a 1.5l petrol engine [clap]

I call a spade a spade. Yes, I love my cars (Linea and Micra) but they are not above criticism. I dont ascribe to the blind faith that people profess to in the other brands.
No one is having a blind faith on anything but you will have to agree on the fact that Linea doesn't offer the overall comfort of the cars mentioned above. I know as an owner you have a lot of feelings associated with it but that doesn't change the facts.

Last edited:
Vipul@

You missed Tata Sumo Gold, that to come along Q7, with the 3.0 liter diesel Engine [lol].
[evil] buddy, you made my year! [evil]
I have got one more and this one is really very much identical.

Linea T-Jet and Jetta 1.4 TSi are in the same league because both have 1.4l turbo petrol engines and power output as well as torque output is near identical(with +-10% difference maybe).

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Hyundai Verna 4S Vs Whole Segment.

I am still unable to find a reason I'd like to put my money on Verna for.

In terms of features, they made the ABS standard now, City has ABS and airbags standard since more than 5 years since the i-vtec came. Instead of focussing on some basic design points like how to add more to the passenger comfort, they are more inclined towards adding features and half of them are even less than seldom used. Where is the sat nav? Where is a touch screen interface? Where is a proper efficient and performer auto box?

All in all, Verna is still way behind the City when it comes to overall package. I agree that the car is comfortable and I don't have anything to complain with the rear seat. It's just that the rear seat is a bit low. Everything looks great inside but the seat is set a bit low; City has it perfectly set and cushioned and so are the Ciaz and VW/Skoda cousins.
i made a comparison list. it's in your brain that verna has features which are rarely used. both have more or less the same features. just wanted to say your statement is wrong.

capture image.png
verna sx has curtain airbags as well
and city has rear ac vents in all models mentioned , verna doesn't.

you said city has abs as standard from 5 years , hyundai did it now so no extra points for hyundai ? does city have curtain airbags ? did you say atleast they retained the airbags ?
i think verna came with all those features which everyone followed.

about the rare seat , you said you don't have anything to complain but still you added 2 points after that.

honda has brand value which is very difficult to make , let's see for how long they are going to maintain that.

Last edited:
Re: Hyundai Verna 4S Vs Whole Segment.

First of all accept my sincere bowing, I loved every word you have written in your post and I really can't find anything I can disagree on. Also accept my appreciations for the wonderful chart you prepared. [clap]

i made a comparison list. it's in your brain that verna has features which are rarely used. both have more or less the same features. just wanted to say your statement is wrong.
Here I have marked a couple of features I find must in a car and others I can easily live with. In fact I personally hasn't ever used the reversing camera in my life to much extent, I just use it to see the path for a second and then my ORVM's do work for me and I personally find them most reliable too. That doesn't mean the reversing camera is of less use, it is really good and show some points which are not visible in ORVM's but its a fact that quick reversing can never be done looking into reversing camera or parking sensor monitor.

capture image.png

But some features are simply useless for me at least and here is the list.
  1. Ergolever: What about the passenger sitting on front seat? This looks more of a give-rise-to-quarrel feature to me because my friends are like that only. In fact whose friends are not? Do your friends move like statues in your car?
  2. Rain sensing wipers: They are good but I find manual adjustment better.
  3. Front seats back pocket: My towel is always in my lap and napkins are in the cubby hole with water bottle in bottle holder. In fact I find them prone to get damaged if someone puts something non suited to them.
  4. Sunglass holder: My ears hold me glasses better else they are good in front of my eyes on instrument panel with my pens.
  5. Bluetooth: Do you take calls with 3 people in the car?
  6. Alloys: Are they really a feature?
  7. Sunroof: Invite dust or give the show-off type relatives a chance to misuse the thing when they take the car. I hope you also may have seen many such characters in Delhi who keep standing and shouting. If I need to have some topless fun, I'd spend more and buy a Z4 and have at least proper topless fun. Do you like to enjoy with top-up or you like complete top-less?
  8. Steering mounted controls: You can never use them doing good speeds or on a twisty road. One can easily live without them for sure.
  9. Cruise control: Definitely good but not of much use in Indian roads.
  10. Engine start stop button: No comments!! Just a price increasing gimmick it is.
  11. Lane change indicator: Its more of a disturbing indicator here.
  12. Turn indicators on ORVM: Is it a feature?

Some of these features are in City but excess of features in any car do add equally to the list of less used or useless features too.

verna sx has curtain airbags as well
Definitely Hyundai did a good job here sad is that it finds ess than few buyers for the version.

and city has rear ac vents in all models mentioned , verna doesn't.
For a big cabin, rear A/C vents are required but the requirement is for just 5 minutes in hot summer days until the cabin temperatures comes down to some acceptable limits. After that front ones also give similar results.

you said city has abs as standard from 5 years , hyundai did it now so no extra points for hyundai ?
No points now, after 5 years and for a car costing the same - no points, really.

does city have curtain airbags ? did you say atleast they retained the airbags ?
They gave at least the basic safety with two when none other gave.

i think verna came with all those features which everyone followed.
Verna never had touch screen, Verna never had a sat nav, verna never had a proper auto box.

about the rare seat , you said you don't have anything to complain but still you added 2 points after that.
Just one point, the seat is low and window line is high!
honda has brand value which is very difficult to make , let's see for how long they are going to maintain that.
They are maintaining it well.
I have more points to present in favor and against Verna whish I'll present later - now work time!

@TSIVipul , your few previous posts shows that your views are biased towards City and there is some fanboy style comments - such as:
if some features are missing in City then they can be lived with or no need of such features.
if some features are extra on Verna then they are useless
as far as forum is concerned i will say that the comparison should be fact to fact, fair and transperent

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you just take one aspect.

1.ergolever - you said friends will have fun , they still do with the lever on the left side present in all the cars
when it will come in handy - if you want something from below the seat , something fell down , you'd come and open the rear door only to find you cannot look at the thing , you come in front , move the seat all the way in the front and then search for the item , then go back and push the seat backwards. this happens several times.

2. rain sensing wipers - you prefer manual , doesn't mean having as a feature is a waste.

3. back pockets - what about the passengers sitting at the back ? they will have some stuff to put in. what if you have lose papers with you , would you keep them on the seat just like that only to find that you have to organize them once more.

you go on a highway trip , i hope you don't go alone , your friends eating something , where do you expect they will keep all the opened biscuits and namkeen packets they munch on ? keep it on the seats or in the dashboard ?

4.sunglass holder - what about those people who wear spectacles plus goggles ?
i sure love my sunglasses on my eyes but where do you keep the spectacles ?
where do you keep them when you don't want to wear them ? open the dashboard , open the case , put it back.

5. bluetooth - first of all , yes i do sometimes. what about when you are alone ? which i think you are most of the time.

6. alloys - i don't have to explain what alloys mean to us indians. we like bling.

7. sunroof - so you'd buy a 8-10 times expensive car just to have a sunroof [lol] i can give you a number , they'll install the best under 1.5 lakhs. can't stop laughing [lol]

i'd feel more safe if i have a roof over my head even if it has a hole (sunroof) in it.

8. steering buttons - what about cruise control button ? do you want them with indicator stock or a new button on the dashboard or below the music system ?

9. cruise control - i'd agree but there are expressways and it'd be beneficial in the future.

10. start stop button - it's convenience , don't have to bring the keys out of the pocket.

11. lane indicator - all those convenient features are useless to you.

12. indicators on orvm - yes it is. the traditional indicator on the fender was not that visible but this is.

i thought you'd want those features including rear ac vents but you just keep on saying those are useless. it's better to have and not use it and not the other way.

i said verna came with most of the segment first features which other manufacturers followed. why ? because people want those features today , well obviously not you , but other people. manufacturer won't put features which are a waste.

and lastly. if someone uses tilt , it doesn't mean he's talking about the steering.
capture image...png

Last edited:
No one is talking about solid build quality. Linea and to a great extent, the Fiesta have a fantastic build quality that is very much felt while using the car. Followed by Vento/Rapid. The new gen Honda City, gave me a sense of an even lower build quality than any of its previous versions (The first one was perhaps the best).
Now this may seem to be a Honda bashing, but it isnt. I have owned both an Accord and a Civic in the past and those cars (particularly Accord) had the good solid feel to it, even compared to lets say, a Camry that I later owned. (apple-to-apple comparision)

I think without proper crash tests we should not judge any cars as safe only on the heavily built character of the car, but in India we unfortunately does not have proper NCAP crash tests to access how safe is any car. bitter but truth.

Top Bottom