Hyundai Santro Xing: Buy New or Repair Old One?

Thread Starter #1
This is a peculiar issue.

I have a Santro Xing (2009) at home. It has run 50,000+ kms. It was already in bad shape. Due to some incident, left doors had dented and jammed, which we got repaired but doors have become very fragile. I felt the car has run its course and no longer is safe enough to be driven.
Then, all tyres had numerous punctures and had no tread left to run them. Hence, when I suggested against buying new tyres (instead to go for new car), my family bought all 4 new tyres costing around 10,000.
Now another accident has happened. Car was hit by a Crane trying to overspeed. It made the car attach to its hook and car turned sideways with right doors attached to the crane and moving along with it. ( Total Filmy action sequence) Luckily the car didn't roll over. Driver was safe. But Insurance had expired. Crane-walla didn't pay anything and had contacts with police at home. So, whole right side is due for repairs.
Things to be replaced -
Rear bumper
Front bumper
Right headlight assembly
Right taillight assembly
Right side doors need to be rigorously dented or replaced.

I am expecting 20,000+ of expenditure. Haven't shown to any mechanic yet.

What would be more cost effective now? Buy a new hatchback on EMI (probably Tiago or else) or repair this car.

P.S. Can we contact crane-walla again and ask him to claim his third-party insurance?

Re: Buy a new one or repair the old one?

If you are selling the car in this condition,the price you can expect is around just 80-90K,as the car itself needs repair.
Better option is you can repair the same ,and you can customise it and keep for 2 years or so and then sell it at this price .(May be around 1L)

Last edited by a moderator:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Hyundai Santro Xing: Buy a New One or Repair the Old One?

Get it repaired. My santro 2009 has covered around 170k kms. There's no point in spending 10k instalment monthly ( count the downpayment as well)
50k is nothing and if the chasis is alright after thr accident get the doors repaired.
I have spent 25k myself within 12 months (7k on transmission box , service , brake pads , ac service , suspension work and few other things. The thing is i paid the amount over a year and even we were thinking of replacing the santro but we decided not to sell just because engine still has life left even though it has run around 130k out of 170k kms on CNG and spending 10k every month didnt seem like a good idea.

Thread Starter #5

Car had major dents on right doors and minor dents on left doors. Tried getting estimate from mechanics for repairs -
8000 for denting/painting for all doors and 4000 for spare parts i.e. Rear bumper, Front bumper, Right headlight assembly, Right taillight assembly
Am I being taken for a ride here? Or sth is amiss?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Usually its 1500rs per panel paint atleast here in delhi. Don't pay full amount for minor dents since he won't paint the whole door.
4000rs seems good for the things that you mentioned.
I got new front and rear bumper for 2700rs plus 500rs labour from hass back in 2013.

Also don't think the headlamp and the tail light assembly is genuine at these rates.

Thread Starter #7

Usually its 1500rs per panel paint atleast here in delhi. Don't pay full amount for minor dents since he won't paint the whole door.
4000rs seems good for the things that you mentioned.
I got new front and rear bumper for 2700rs plus 500rs labour from hass back in 2013.

Also don't think the headlamp and the tail light assembly is genuine at these rates.
1) The quote I got from a Hyundai ASS -
Front and Rear Bumper - Rs. 3000
Headlight assembly - Rs. 4000
Taillight assembly - Rs. 1500

Headlight and taillight assembly are expensive at Hyundai ASS. Hence, got quotes from a spar parts shop -
Headlight assembly - Rs. 1404 (Lumax)
Taillight assembly - Rs. 850 (Zodiac)

So if I buy bumpers from Hyundai ASS and Assemblies from the spare parts shop, total comes out to be - 3000+1404+850 = 5254

Wheras the denting guy is doing the same in 4000. When I told him yesterday that I will give him spare parts, he just do the denting, he said that he'll be using only genuine parts. Should I really rely on him?

2) While I'll post photos of the dents for better assessment in a while. Can you guide how much should I pay for the denting work I have described. Should I bargain more?

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Get the bumpers from hass. They will last longer. Usually these paint guys use old repaired bumpers. The main things are the locks which are repaired and won't last long.
I hope you know that these will be black bumpers without paint.
Get the assemblies yourself and give it to him.

Like i mentioned rate is 1500rs per panel.

3000rs for both the right doors and 1000rs-1500rs for minor dents on the left side.
So should be around 4500rs for denting and painting.

bhvm

Honoured Member

the damage is not THAT serious to replace whole Car. trying to sell it in this condition will fetch peanuts . better repair it and keep it as a beater Car.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

You can give him 4000rs for the right side. Both the doors , running board and both the fenders. Front fender doesn't need painting.

What about the left side ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

You can give him 4000rs for the right side. Both the doors , running board and both the fenders. Front fender doesn't need painting.

What about the left side ?
I am not in hometown currently. My family has already given the car for denting/painting of both sides for Rs. 8000. I'll tell them to renegotiate with the guy, if possible.

I am trying to get the spares by myself, but online portals do take atleast a week to deliver stuff i.e. headlight and taillight assembly, which is a bummer.

Thank you for your advice.

Yesterday my friend change head light and tail light in his Santro Xing

Headlight - 1250 each (Lumax)
Tail light - INR 800 each (Lumax)

I recommend better stick to Lumax. Quality is very good. I think its OE supplier

He got from some gurgaon/delhi based online player

Aditya

Top Bottom