Hyundai Santro vs Daewoo Matiz: Nostalgic Pick

Hyundai Santro vs Daewoo Matiz (Top-of-the-Line Variants)

• Total voters
You are right Mr.Boss.Almost nobody knows Why Daewoo added Strut Braces to the Matiz ! I think because It was a Tall-boy like the Wagon-R (Actually No,But Waggie was a Rival too).etc and Daewoo wanted Matiz to be a Superb Handler and a Fun-to-drive Hatch unlike other Tall-boys,Which had Some Serious Body-Roll.But Again I can't see,If Daewoo wanted to make Matiz a Fun-to-drive Hatchback,Why would they Plonk in an 800cc 3 Pot MPFi 16-Bit ECU Engine other than a 1.2 4 Pot Engine ? But Anyway,Matiz is definitly for me.My Dad will be going to Germany Soon.Germany,Italy,France and London was the Fruit of Matiz ! It was one of the Most Affordable,Most Succesful and Most Awarded Cars,There.Meanwhile Matiz failed here miserably to Santro.I just don't know Why.He will take a lot of Pics and I will post them Here ASAP !
I remember Matiz being awarded the best car or most secure car in that period. I was also a proud owner of matiz top end model.Mileage was awesome. With AC used to get 18 Kmpl. If matiz had continued there would have been stiff competition for wagon R and Zen. It was slightly over priced though. On road it was 4.5 Lacs (1999) [surprise].

Thread Starter #17
Whoaa ! Never expected that.It shows she does have lotsa body roll especially at the Front Springs.But how is every owner of her or even an Enthusiasist telling me that She was one of the best handling hatches in India ?

Matiz was my favorite car when it comes to looks.
But my vote goes to santro. Build quality,zero niggles and rattles, low end torque,roomy interiors and quality is class ahead at those times.[clap]
Torque is instant,One of the best city car even if we compared with the modern day hatches.Highway performance is poor though.

Votted for Santro for sheer driving pleasure at that times and good quality interiers, AC.

Minus points were

- Low milage
-high service charge(on ASS)
- stiff rear suspension
- looks (old model)

If i was in the olden era and was a car enthusiast, i would've definitely bought the matiz,
Though i didn't have much of knowledge of them i simply used to hate Santro for it's ugly looks and other kids(me included when i was travelling in school bus) praising it made me go against it.

Matiz on the other hand was looking cute from all the angles and i would've definitely bought it in Those times.

BTW my neighbour had Matiz and bought Spark newly (he didn't sell matiz), when i asked about both of them, he told Matiz was good and was still giving him 18kmpl while his Spark doesn't and he used to take his Matiz out very often. Now he has spark and Eon where he uses Spark very often [lol]

BTW my neighbour had Matiz and bought Spark newly (he didn't sell matiz), when i asked about both of them, he told Matiz was good and was still giving him 18kmpl while his Spark doesn't and he used to take his Matiz out very often. Now he has spark and Eon where he uses Spark very often [lol]
Why wouldn't he. Spark Is an evolution of Matiz [:)] sorry for the ot post.

P S. I do not mean to say that Spark> Matiz or vice versa

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would pick the Santro.

Reasons

* Driver seat was good.

* The tall-boyish looks

* Extremely comfortable with after market CNG

* Spacious than Matiz

* AC was good.

Regards

Akash

Why wouldn't he. Spark Is an evolution of Matiz [:)] sorry for the ot post.

P S. I do not mean to say that Spark> Matiz or vice versa
Yes exactly. which also means some people (specifically non auto enthusiasts) just buy off a new model which had come in the market without thinking further.
The Eon which i mentioned earlier hasn't run much also.

Thread Starter #25
Thanks Everyone.Mr.Aakash,matiz had better Interior space but lesser boot space than Santro.Matiz was actually more spacious than Santro.Santro also had High seats compared to Matiz.But also I am not oppossing you Mr.Aakash.Everyone has their own preferences and Santro is for you.I respect you.Mr.Vishwas,Matiz was also known as the Best Handler and Stability in high speeds with the Worst Engine performance and Sluggish Gearbox.Santro on the otherside was very Reliable,ha very good Engine and gear-box.Santro 1.1 is also a known engine for Enthusiasists.

I would pick santro.
Reasons:Santro's Tallboy design,santro is spacious than matiz, Lack of availability of spares and service centres of daewoo.

I had Matiz for nearly 13 Yrs, my choice was Matiz. There are some interesting comments from members for and against. Time to make our Bharath happy (my sincere apologies to his Father once again).

Though Matiz had only a 800CC Engine, I do not recall EVER being overtaken by a Waggy, on the highways; I'm serious. Talking of purely THAT era cars, the original Zen could overtake Matiz, Santros struggled to match it at moderator censored speeds and Unos and Orig Indicas never attempted. Hell, so many Sumos had thrown in the towel, when Indian highways were ruled by the Sumo warriors. Once I had lot of fun being the lead car from Vellore AAAAALL the way to Krishnagiri toll gate, to a Honda CITIEEEEEE (novice driver of course). Matiz was NEVER a "Point-A to Point-B Car". Matiz was Ford Fiesta on a budget.

To be frank, I was thinking of getting a new car somewhere in 2007-09. No matter what they had, in terms of "space, style or power", NO car could compel me to replace this Korean Beauty. Had I bought a Santro in 1999, I would've bought a Hatchback by 2009 and couldn't have bought a Fluidic Verna in 2012. Soooo, Hyundai owes Daewoo [lol]

Thread Starter #28
Beautifully Written sir.Matiz is a Ford Fiesta 1.6 on a Budget ! That was awesome.Thanks for making me happy again !.I am thinking of changing my Signature to that Words.A Waggy will over-turn if at all it tries to Overtake a Matiz just because it'sTall stance and Handling was also nowhere near Matiz.

Last edited:
Waggy will over-turn if at all it tries to Overtake a Matiz just because it'sTall stance and Handling was also nowhere near Matiz.
Have you got some reports to confirm the same? Or is it from your own experience? (I know it is not) Without such data posting / pasting something on a Forum is not acceptable. Those may mis-guide a potential customer.

Top Bottom