Hyundai i20 Active Review & Pictures: Actively Elite

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
“Actively Elite”

Hyundai-i20-Active-Review.jpg
Hyundai i20 Active Review Synopsis:
  • Hyundai i20 Active price tag is between Rs.6.38 – 8.89 Lakh (Ex.showroom, Delhi). It officially launched in India on 17th March 2015.
  • It’s available in total 5 variants: two Petrol and three Diesel with a choice of 5 speed and 6 speed manual transmission respectively.
  • Hyundai claims the primary target customers for i20 Active are enthusiasts who’re younger than those of premium hatch and SUV segments.
  • Under the hood, engine options remain same as earlier: 1.2L Petrol and 1.4 Diesel but with tweaked final gear ratio to deliver better acceleration.
  • Prospective buyers will like Elite i20 in macho avatar but it’s going to be interesting to watch how much impact it really makes in an otherwise dull segment.
Note: This review primarily focuses on the main highlights of Active version since Elite i20 in general is already extensively covered in our Hyundai Elite i20 Review.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team

First initiated by Skoda with introduction of the Fabia Scout, cross-hatchback segment has lately begun to become a blooming prospect in India. Its sales even though may currently account for a miniscule share, but limited competition and a significant success potential is precisely what makes this unique segment alluring from a manufacturer’s standpoint, more so, considering the little investment it demands. Hyundai, which is on a product offensive, has been prompt to analyze the same and decided to take the plunge with i20 Active merely a few months after the debut of all-new Elite i20. Major changes include more on the outside than on the inside, in form of brawny front and rear bumpers with a tusk bar, side cladding, projector headlamps with DRLs, roofrails, redesigned alloys to name a few, whereas the interiors receive two new color options: Tangerine Orange and Aqua Blue with dark and light exterior colors respectively as well as sporty aluminum pedals.

On the other hand, ground clearance has been pumped up by 20 mm to offer it a mini SUV’ish look. In order to ensure that ride and handling remains unaffected; Hyundai has strongly focused on fine-tuning the suspension. Therefore, i20 continues to offer an exemplary ride quality as earlier. The car still runs on the same engine options: 1.2L Petrol and 1.4L Diesel, but final gear ratio has been tweaked to deliver better low and mid range acceleration which is about 6% more in Petrol and 11% in Diesel. The driving dynamics more or less remain same as in regular Elite i20. Given the premium of a lakh rupee more than the normal version, i20 Active is obviously not targeted toward budget car buyers. But for those who seek some “oomph” while enjoying Elite i20’s plethora of features, coupled along with relatively affordable running costs than an SUV within similar range, i20 Active is definitely bound to stir waves in this segment.

Pictorial Comparison: Hyundai Elite i20 vs i20 Active

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai i20 Active: Likes, Dislikes and Star Ratings

Hyundai-i20-Active-Front-Profile.jpg

You'll Love: [thumbsup]
  • Moderate “cross-hatch” styling. Doesn’t look very flashy.
  • New features like projectors and DRLs are a surprise addition.
  • Decent ride and handling (steering wheel still needs improvement).
  • Good fuel efficiency figures and relatively affordable running costs.
  • Highly refined engines (especially diesel). Higher ground clearance is a boon.
You'll Loathe: [thumbsdown]
  • Significantly pricier than the regular Elite i20 variants.
  • Top-end variant with safety features missing in the Petrol engine range.
  • Even though overall feature loaded, basics like auto-door lock etc are missing.
  • Drives and rides well but lacks the fun-factor that typical enthusiasts crave for.
  • Aqua Blue and Tangerine Orange interiors fixed based on exterior color (can’t be individually chosen).
Hyundai i20 Active 2015 Star Ratings:
  • Design and Quality................:
    ninestar.gif
  • Comfort and Features............:
    ninestar.gif
  • Engine and Performance.........:
    ninestar.gif
  • Handling and Ride Quality.......:
    eightstar.gif
  • Safety and Security Levels.....:
    8.5.gif
  • Overall Fuel Consumption.......:
    ninestar.gif
  • Sales and Service Network.....:
    ninestar.gif
  • Value For Money Factor..........:
    ninestar.gif
  • The Automotive India's Verdict:
    ninestar.gif
Here's how to interpret above ratings: The Automotive India Reviews Star Ratings Explained.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai i20 Active: Price and Miscellaneous Points

Hyundai-i20-Active-Rear-View.jpg

Hyundai i20 Active Price (Ex.showroom, Delhi)

Petrol
  • Base: Rs.6,38,586
  • S: Rs.7,09,735
Diesel
  • Base: Rs.7,63,228
  • S: Rs.8,34,377
  • SX: Rs.8,89,427
Hyundai-i20-Active-Price-Comparison.png

Note: Prices in lakhs (Ex.showroom, Delhi)
Miscellaneous Points:
  • Just as in case of Elite i20, Hyundai i20 Active marks its global debut first in India.
  • Interestingly, in the Australian market, base version of i20 is known as "Active" while the top is called "Elite".
  • Hyundai calls it “Sports Style Segment” and positions it below SUV (Eg: Scorpio) and Premium SUVs (Eg: Santa-Fe).
  • The company believes that this segment is emerging in India due to SUVish looks and at the same time good mileage + low running costs.
  • We asked if Hyundai considered attaching a spare wheel on boot and answer was a straight “no”. They’ve kept all design elements in check.
  • It’s worth pointing out that there’s a drop of about 1 Kmpl between Elite i20 and i20 Active fuel efficiency figures on papers (ARAI claimed):
  • Elite i20 (P): 18.60 Kmpl
  • i20 Active (P): 17.19 Kmpl
  • Elite i20 (D): 22.54 Kmpl
  • i20 Active (D): 21.19 Kmpl
Following are the changes in dimensions between Elite i20 and i20 Active:
  • Length: 3985 mm || 3995 mm
  • Width: 1734 mm || 1760 mm
  • Height: 1505 mm || 1555 mm
  • Ground Clearance: 170 mm || 190 mm
Related Links:

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Elite i20 Active: Comparison and Specifications

Specifications Comparison: Hyundai i20 Active vs Volkswagen Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Fiat Avventura

Hyundai-i20-Active-Specification-Comparison.png

Engine Specifications:

Petrol:
  • Engine: 1197 CC
  • Power: 83 PS @ 6000 RPM
  • Torque: 11.7 Kgm @ 4000 RPM
  • Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
  • Fuel Efficiency (ARAI Claimed): 17.19 Kpl
Diesel:
  • Engine: 1396 CC
  • Power: 90 PS @ 4000 RPM
  • Torque: 22.4 Kgm @ 1500 - 2750 RPM
  • Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
  • Fuel Efficiency (ARAI Claimed): 21.19 Kpl
General Specifications:
  • Front Brakes: Disc
  • Rear Brakes: Drum
  • Front Suspension: McPherson Strut with Coil Spring
  • Rear Suspension: Coupled Torsion Beam Axle with Coil Spring
  • Fuel Tank: 45 Liters
  • Boot Space: 285 Liters
  • Length: 3,995 mm
  • Width: 1,760 mm
  • Height: 1,555 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2,570 mm
  • Tyre Size: 185/65 R15 (Base) | 195/55 R16 (S & SX)
  • Ground Clearance: 190 mm
Exterior Color Options:
  • Sleek Silver
  • Red Passion*
  • Earth Brown*
  • Retro Shine
  • Polar White
  • Phantom Black*
Asterisk (*) denotes our preferred choice of colors on this car.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Redesigned bumper and projector headlamps make the front profile look imposing.

That’s what Hyundai calls ‘Tusk Bar’. And don’t mistake that skid guard for a real one. It’s made up of plastic.

Circular foglamps on front and rear add a masculine touch.

A close view reveals a different chrome stripe pattern within i20 Active headlamps.

Projectors on right and cornering lamps on left.

LED DRLs are a very welcome addition. Desperately needed in Elite i20 too.

All the revised design elements hint machoness. Alloys are a no exception.

Door guards are thicker on the cross avatar of i20. Notice the side cladding too.

Sleek ORVMs with in-built indicators are same as on Elite i20.

Chrome door handles on top version.

Glossy C-Pillar plastic on Active while on Elite, it’s matte-black. This one looks better.

The only change that I’d prefer to call “overdone”. Stands out like a sore thumb on red but conceals well with Silver exterior shade.

Not an SUV obviously, but i20 Active nicely attempts to emulate as one.

Side view nearly unchanged apart from the pumped-up ground clearance (notice the space in wheel arches).

Chunky roofrails contribute to the overall increased height. Gels well on brighter exterior shades.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
New small antenna borrowed from 4S Verna Fluidic. Not sure why Hyundai didn’t offer it on Elite i20.

Built-in roof spoiler on Active is sportier.

Save for the bumper, rear design is same as regular version.

Reverse parking camera + sensors with exclusive steering guidance functionality makes reversing the i20 an easy affair.

Newly introduced Earth Brown color is the signature shade of i20 Active.

Hyundai has generously used black to provide a sense of semi-urban SUV.

190 mm tall ground clearance means you don’t have to worry about those potholes.

Plasticky foglamps and artificial skid guard on rear too.

Reverse lamp only on right hand side. Left gets a reflector instead.

Hyundai is marketing it as a new car. Thus separate “Active” branding, unlike in “Elite” i20. Variant nomenclature similar to Hyundai sedans.

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
Spare wheel is an alloy (Elite i20 gets a steel wheel). On a closer look, you’ll find it’s “Made in China”.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Active-Alloy-Spare-Wheel.jpg

Abundant use of blue on Aqua Blue interior shade.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Aqua-Blue-Interior.jpg

Tangerine orange interiors look more upmarket.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Active-Tangerine-Orange-Interiors.jpg

Glovebox is cooled through an inlet from air-con vents.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Active-Cooled-Glovebox.jpg

Sporty aluminum pedals are exclusive to Active version.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Active-Sporty-Aluminium-Pedals.jpg

Aqua Blue interiors offered with combination of light exterior colors such as Silver etc.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Aqua-Blue.jpg

Tangerine orange offered with dark exterior colors such as Brown, Black etc.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Tangerine-Orange.jpg

A few might find the use of blue a tad too over the top on the interiors.

Hyundai-Elite-i20-Active-Aqua-Blue-Doorpad.jpg

Tangerine orange also gets an orange gear knob!

Hyundai-i20-Active-Tangerine-orange-Gear-Lever.jpg

Front seats are sufficiently large and provide decent support.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Large-Front-Seat.jpg

The rear seat too offers generous support and can accommodate two adults + one kid in comfort.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Rear-Seat-Space.jpg

These taillamps somehow always tend to remind me of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Hyundai-i20-Active-Taillamps.jpg

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Republishing the text or pictures anyway without prior consent of our authorities is strictly forbidden.

Disclaimer: This road test was conducted in a media drive event organized by Hyundai. All expenses for such events are borne by the manufacturer.

Re: Now Hyundai Joins "Cross" Bandwagon with Elite i20 Active

What will be the cost of the projector setup if one has elite i20 and wants to upgrade the headlamps to the one on the i20 active?

does anybody know?
has anyone inquired about it?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I read that verna's setup cost 40k-45k. So i20 active's projector lamps should be atleast 30k from the dealer.

Well, I think the Avventura and Ecosport are really much better than this one. Ecosport gets more bootspace, while Avventura has better ground clearance and ride quality. The I20 Active is just another pseudo crossover effort aimed at lapping up some of the I20/Xcent buyers.
And come to think of it, the Avventura FIRE petrol version aint too bad either with the 1.4 litres, 90 bhp compared to the 1.2 litre plonked on the I20 Active.

Well, I think the Avventura and Ecosport are really much better than this one. Ecosport gets more bootspace, while Avventura has better ground clearance and ride quality. The I20 Active is just another pseudo crossover effort aimed at lapping up some of the I20/Xcent buyers.
And come to think of it, the Avventura FIRE petrol version aint too bad either with the 1.4 litres, 90 bhp compared to the 1.2 litre plonked on the I20 Active.
Fully agreed, the Ecosport is better then this i20 Active in every way, the Avventura is much superior dynamically and feels a notch confident to drive. That 1.2 petrol engine of i20 is nowhere as good as its rivals, its underpowered and thirsty. But still many prefer it over other cars. Checked the prices yesterday and the diesel SX costs 9.05 lakhs Ex Showroom and On Road price is 10.84 lakhs, if i add another 22k, I can get an Ecosport Diesel Titanium. Somehow this i20 Active hasn't impressed me at all.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Fully agreed, the Ecosport is better then this i20 Active in every way, the Avventura is much superior dynamically and feels a notch confident to drive. That 1.2 petrol engine of i20 is nowhere as good as its rivals, its underpowered and thirsty. But still many prefer it over other cars. Checked the prices yesterday and the diesel SX costs 9.05 lakhs Ex Showroom and On Road price is 10.84 lakhs, if i add another 22k, I can get an Ecosport Diesel Titanium. Somehow this i20 Active hasn't impressed me at all.
could you please share the price list for the ecosport ? in delhi price difference is 70000 rs ex showroom ( 8.9 lakhs vs 9.6 lakhs ) i'm ssuming you didn't take a TD of the i20 active so comparing the features.

looks are subjective , although i like both. Interiors Quality again at par. Handling and suspension i'll assume to be better than the i20 active but again every review said the suspension has been improved a lot.

hyundai i20 active SX ( 8.9 lakhs ) over Ford Ecosport Trend ( 8.6 lakhs )

* 2 airbags vs no airbag
*reverse parking sensors with camera
*Smart Key
*projector lamps plus LED DRLs
*automatic AC
*front fog lamps +Cornering Function
*16" alloy wheels vs 15" alloys
*Leather Wrapped steering wheel and gear knob
*Cd Player + 2 tweeters
*push button start
*driver one touch auto up|down power window
*rear AC vents
*sunglass holder
*cooled Glove box
*electric folding orvm

Ford Ecosport trend over i20 Active SX
*rear reclining seats
*boot space ( 346 ltrs vs 245 ltrs )
*under passenger storage
*sync
*ground clearance ( 200mm vs 190mm )

will wait for the price list.

if i forgot anything please feel free to add

I had checked the i20 Active price from the official website. SX Diesel is priced at 9.05 lakhs and Ecosport Titanium is 9.77 lakhs, I wasn't aware about the hike in Ecosport prices, we had paid 8.56 lakhs in 2013 and recently one of my friend got his in November and I at that time it was lot lesser then it is now. I did not check the prices of Exosport before mentioning it here. So I accept my mistake, but coming to the product I feel there isn't much difference apart from some "Active" exclusive features like Projector Headlights over Elite i20. The price difference looks a bit higher especially of Base & S versions.

Top Bottom