Hyundai i10 Diesel To Arrive in First Quarter of 2013

Thread Starter #1
Hyundai to launch diesel variant of i10 to counter Ford Figo

thumb (1).JPG

AFTER a lull, action is back in the compact car market. The auto turf may soon see rivalry intensifying between the Korean and American car makers, as Hyundai Motor is set to launch a diesel variant of its next-generation car — i10 to counter Ford's 'Figo.'

For the first time, Korean car maker and India's largest exporter Hyundai has conceded that Figo and not Nissan's 'Micra' will keep the company on its toes, a candid Hyundai Motor India (HMI) MD H W Park admitted to visiting journalists from India to the company headquarters here last week.

He was categorical that Hyundai was not duly concerned about Micra. However, it is directing efforts to counter competition challenges from Figo and domestic leader Maruti's re-launched WagonR. He strongly hinted that Hyundai may launch the diesel variant of i10, though he did not specify the time-line.

It also plans to introduce a new car that will be positioned below the Santro. "Development of the sub-Santro model is at evaluation stage at Namyang (its R&D centre). We are on schedule as far as the development stage work is concerned. Look-wise, it will not be small though it will have a similar cutting-edge design," he said, dwelling on the Indian consumer psyche to possess spacious compact cars.

Source & Details - Hyundai to launch diesel variant of i10 to counter Ford Figo-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Yeah i was expecting this move for a long time! Their best selling car is without a diesel engine till now! IMO it will surely benefit HMIL!

350Z

Core Team
It is important for i10 to get a diesel engine power to sustain in market. Also, where as other car makers added some li’l features in their cars and tried to hype them, We didn’t saw anything such from Hyundai. It is time for Hyundai to revitalize the i10 to keep up the charm and not just the diesel engine.

Drive Safe,
350Z

IMO a minor facelift and introduction of a diesel variant will be a great idea to get back in action. Though even now i10 is selling in good numbers.

i think hyundai was also thinking to launch electric i10? anyways diesel i10 is also great option. we will get more options for diesel hatchbacks but when is the expected launch date? and ya a facelift is strongly needed for i10!!

A good move by Hyundai though, may be, a bit late. They could have done this long time back but that would have meant a dip in sales of the petrol variant.

My only concern is whether the chasis will be able to carry the heavier diesel engine long enough. The suspension, chasis, etc will be no different from the petrol variant but will have to bear more weight. The usual problem with cars that come in petrol and diesel variants, designed primarily for petrol engine.

If Hyundai is able to cope up with this, this will sell like hot cakes (assuming it will be priced sensibly). i20 diesel gives a wooping FE of around 24-25 on highway, i10 will easily cross it due to lesser kerb weight than i20. We all know what clay is CRDI made up or so no doubts there.

And as Umang mentioned, Hyundai also intends to come up with i10 Electric variant. Pricing of these cars will be anyone's guess.

I reckon, it will be priced near 7L (OTR), for sure 1L more than their Asta (high end petrol).

Thread Starter #10
I am sure, Hyundai will work on chashis for diesel engine in i10. Zen diesel failed primarly because the reason you mentioned.

350Z

Core Team
JammyD said:
And as Umang mentioned, Hyundai also intends to come up with i10 Electric variant. Pricing of these cars will be anyone's guess. I reckon, it will be priced near 7L (OTR), for sure 1L more than their Asta (high end petrol).
Is this price guess for i10 Electric or Diesel?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Last time I heard, they had cancelled all such plans!
It was turning out to be too expensive.
Which makes sense.
i10 diesel would be bang in the territory of i20 diesel.
I don't think this one is coming anytime before 2013 as ACI reported.

Is this price guess for i10 Electric or Diesel?

Drive Safe,
350Z
This guess was for the Diesel. Looking the trend followed by Hyundai themselves, Diesel price - Petrol price = 1 L min.

@RSM, I really doubt they will do anything with the chasis. Any effort put in tryinig to do so will increase their base value and will reflect in the final price. This is because its going to affect their design, raw material concentrations, etc.

Oh so sad , but it would have sold well had it been priced somewhere around 5-6Lakhs!
Cooldhaya, they cannot price it at 5-6 Lakhs simply because their petrol variant is already in this range. Looking at Hyundai trend, they will have just one option in diesel and hence they have to price it significantly higher than the petrol variant otherwise their petrol variant sales will take a hit.

Last edited:
hey dont you feel 7 lakhs is too much!! the real price of Hyundai i10 M/T goes somewhere till 5 Lakhs and not because their petrol model is priced there hyundai will make diesel expensive. my assumption is Rs.6 lakhs but any...no one of us knows better about price!!

Top Bottom