Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna Ownership Review (2011)

Thread Starter #1
Due to lack of public transport and safety issue in our locality decided to purchase a car for my wife, in June’2011 core purpose of purchase was for local shopping and occasional visit to friends and family. With monthly run of less than 500 KM obvious choice was petrol. We allocate budget of 5L for the car.

My wife just started driving the cars and not comfortable in driving big size cars so list of following small cars was prepared:

- Maruti A-star
- Chevrolet Beat
- Hyundai I-10

We went through following thought process to make our final decision:

- Maruti A-star: We already have two Maruti cars at home during that time and were quite happy with their performance, reliability and ASS, that’s why A-star is strong contender but we want to try some other brand this time.

- Chevrolet Beat: Amazing car with fresh look and cool interior, but not sure about the reliability of the ASS and performance of car in long term though they are selling quite well here in India.

- Hyundai I-10: This brand is obvious upgrade for Maruti owners, my wife like this car very much in first glance. Perfect car for a lady, easy to negotiate in heavy traffic with some really good feature for novice drivers.

Which I10 variant:

We selected 1.2 due to electrical adjustable side mirrors, initially we want automatic version but it’s compatibility with CNG kit was a deterrent, if by chance we require CNG kit in future.

Dealership experience:

Booked this car in last week of June from HMP-Mathura road, New Delhi this is a company owned dealership. We selected grey color but only white and silver were available for on the spot delivery, sales advisor promised us the delivery in 10days and finally got the delivery of car on 07th July’2011. They honored their all promises till date

Discounts:

We got good discounts due to ongoing offers, free insurance corporate discount and 5K cash discount also we are able to get freebies like textile mats, gear lock and mud flaps.

Experience with I-10:

Completed more than 5000KM in the car, its lowest power to weight ratio gives run for money to any sub 10L car, amazing pick up. It’s complete fun to drive this car in city, with shot gear throw and peppy drive. We also went up to Auli in this car from one of the toughest route, but this car proved its mettle to us.

- Sedan like two tone interior with good plastic quality
- Short gear throw, uniquely placed
- Useful gear shift indicator good for new drivers
- Amazing compact look and futuristic design
- Light steering, easy to maneuver in city traffic
- Good leg room space in front and rear
- Reliable Hyundai ASS

Dislikes

- Very bouncy ride in rear, rides well on smooth roads only
- Annoying noise intermittently coming from steering
- Thin tyres though do not face any problem till date due to them
- Very bad FE for such a small car, 12kmpl with AC in city traffic and 13kmpl with AC on highway
- Rear headrest missing in my variant, this should be standard in all variant for safety of rear passengers

Here goes pics

DSC04993.JPG

Central console with all useful vitals

DSC04994.JPG

Light steering with good feedback

DSC04996.JPG

Got integrated music system from dealer, with Aux in and usb

DSC04997.JPG

Knobs are of good quality plastics

DSC05001.JPG

Lots of small storage holes

DSC05002.JPG

Two cup holders

DSC05003.JPG

Short throw gear very helpful in city drive

DSC05005.JPG

Got gear lock as freebie from dealer

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Pics contd...

DSC05006.JPG

Good space in glove box

DSC05007.JPG

Nicely integrated dashboard

DSC05010.JPG

Electric adjustable side mirrors and all four power window

DSC05011.JPG

Window switches are easy to operate and nice to touch

DSC05013.JPG

You can close side AC vents

DSC05014.JPG

Side mirrors are nicely placed

DSC05016.JPG

Side AC vents with chrome finish

DSC05017.JPG

Central AC vents

Thread Starter #3
Pics contd...

DSC05019.JPG

Good boot space for local shopping

DSC05020.JPG

Ok type rear profile

DSC05021.JPG

Looks cool from this angle

DSC05022.JPG

Looks stunning from front

DSC05023.JPG

Side looks

DSC05025.JPG

Turn indicator on side mirrors

DSC05026.JPG

Sporty FM roof antenna

DSC05027.JPG

Alloy look wheel caps

Thread Starter #4
Pics contd...

DSC05028.JPG

Large and bright tail lamp

DSC05030.JPG

Yes this is Magna 1.2 variant

DSC05031.JPG

Reflector integrated perfectly in rear bumper

DSC05032.JPG

Thin stock tyre but they are more than enough to handle this baby

DSC05033.JPG

Co driver side profile

DSC05034.JPG

Driver side profile

DSC05036.JPG

Large smiling front grill

DSC05037.JPG

Beautiful headlamps

More pics to follow...

kudos! amazing review buddy and very detailed also. well i10 was great decision and i started liking it more after it got fluidic facelift! [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #6
kudos! amazing review buddy and very detailed also. well i10 was great decision and i started liking it more after it got fluidic facelift! [thumbsup]
Thanks Umang, no doubt i-10 is amazing city car very easy to navigate through heavy traffic and 1.2L engine have tremendous power to give other cars stiff competition.

Dislikes

- Very bouncy ride in rear, rides well on smooth roads only
- Annoying noise intermittently coming from steering
*** This is the classic steering rattle. This will never go. Its a serious design flaw. Don't get it rectified as your car will lose its ability to drive properly and will end up going to workshop every now and then.
- Thin tyres though do not face any problem till date due to them
*** Agreed
- Very bad FE for such a small car, 12kmpl with AC in city traffic and 13kmpl with AC on highway
*** This is the max FE on i10. It's a fuel guzzler by small car standards.
Apart from the cons mentioned it's comfortable to drive.

Thread Starter #8
Apart from the cons mentioned it's comfortable to drive.
Amiti thanks for your input, was quite aware about the problem before my purchase but my wife liked this car so much that i don't have any other option left. Apart from the cons me and my wife is quite happy with the car.

I am closely following up with HMP for steering noise problem, also mailed all the details to customer care and visited service center couple of times for same problem their engineer also visited our home to rectify this issue but all in vain though i have everything on record and will pursue my case further even till court if requires but i must admit Hyundai is cooperating with us till date.

Thread Starter #9
Pics contd...

DSC05038.JPG

Nicely fitted 1.2L engine in engine bay

DSC05040.JPG

Got Amaron battery as stock

DSC05042.JPG

Second most trusted brand of India

DSC05044.JPG

Remote pull lever for fuel cap

DSC05045.JPG

Chrome finish door latch

DSC05047.JPG

Tiny remote for integrated music system

DSC05049.JPG

Nicely placed turn switches

DSC05050.JPG

You will get only two speed wiper in i-10

Nice pictures. I however have seen lot of cost cutting especially with the plastics in face lifted i10. A tire upgrade is must for i10.

On the positive side the VTVT engine is good. It's comfortable to sit, view of road is good, not too tall like Wagon R and power is good too.

Nice pictures. I however have seen lot of cost cutting especially with the plastics in face lifted i10. A tire upgrade is must for i10. I also liked the audio system, gels well with the console.

On the positive side the VTVT engine is good. It's comfortable to sit, view of road is good, not too tall like Wagon R and power is good too.

Amiti thanks for your input, was quite aware about the problem before my purchase but my wife liked this car so much that i don't have any other option left. Apart from the cons me and my wife is quite happy with the car.

I am closely following up with HMP for steering noise problem, also mailed all the details to customer care and visited service center couple of times for same problem their engineer also visited our home to rectify this issue but all in vain though i have everything on record and will pursue my case further even till court if requires but i must admit Hyundai is cooperating with us till date.
My take, don't waste your valuable time with hyundai 'jokers'. First they will change the pad, the noise will disappear for some k kms and then return, then they will apply magnetic grease with entire pad change (they call it as kit), the noise will go again to return back soon. Lastly if you raise your voice then they will change the rack assembly entirely.

This will start whole new bunch of problems and finally you will have to sell it off.

I know more than 500 people in Pune who are fedup with i10 steering rattle and have done everything as mentioned above. Luckily I didn't do anything as mentione above. that's the reason, that i10 in Pune has 65k discount.

Thread Starter #13
My take, don't waste your valuable time with hyundai 'jokers'. First they will change the pad, the noise will disappear for some k kms and then return, then they will apply magnetic grease with entire pad change (they call it as kit), the noise will go again to return back soon. Lastly if you raise your voice then they will change the rack assembly entirely.

This will start whole new bunch of problems and finally you will have to sell it off.

I know more than 500 people in Pune who are fedup with i10 steering rattle and have done everything as mentioned above. Luckily I didn't do anything as mentione above. that's the reason, that i10 in Pune has 65k discount.
Thanks for your advice will take care of this.

Looks like Hyundai failed to find a solution to steering rattle problem in i10/i20. This was one of the reasons why i chose VW Polo over a Hyundai i20. BTW is this problem limited to models with steering adjustment feature or it is across the board?

Thread Starter #15
Looks like Hyundai failed to find a solution to steering rattle problem in i10/i20. This was one of the reasons why i chose VW Polo over a Hyundai i20. BTW is this problem limited to models with steering adjustment feature or it is across the board?
These idiots have still to find any solution for my i10 steering noise problem, got my car couple of days back and noise started again, already took my vehicle four times to HMP, they repaired it but problem started again in couple of days. So now trying to live with this noise now :(

My i-10 don't have steering adjustment feature check this link you will find so many people with similar complain and the culprit may be some design flaw in i10 and i20 steering:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...U0N1TFhTOVVrR2N6aDRxMGNhZVE&hl=en&output=html

Top Bottom