Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna Ownership Report

Thread Starter #1
It was Aug 2008 I decided to buy a car for my personal use. Cloud full of cars came to my mind as it is my first car!

Starting from M800 to Swift, One thing I was keen on was my budget; I never want to stretch my budget above 5Lakhs!

So I shortlisted the following cars

Chevy Spark
Ford Ikon
Hyundai i10 Kappa
Maruti Dzire Vxi
Maruti Swift Vxi

I know it is a big list of cars which has no relevance in any segment [lol]

My requirement was
Styling
Comfort
Safety
VFM
ASS

To start with Spark, It is really an excellent car from General Motors. This car is a sibling of Matiz which is a hot seller in 2000’s. I was looking for a car which can carry 5 adults. This is the place where I have to rethink as spark cannot fit in 5 adults with ease.

Next comes Ford Ikon, this car is the best drivers car once upon a time & it still deserves the title. When I was planning to buy, there is no confirmed date of launch for New Ikon. And due to high cost spares & Poor resale value, I dropped Ikon out of my list.

Maruti Swift Vxi – Not to say much as this is the best seller till date even after Ritz came. There are only 2 reasons which made me drop the swift out of my list. Fuel Economy & cramped rear seats.

Maruti Dzire Vxi – This is the bigger brother of swift & I really loved this car. Because of long waiting period (4 months) I dropped this too 
Now we can have a detailed ownership review of Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna.

To say, I have never been a fan of Hyundai from Santro Days!

Whenever I see Hyundai cars on road, the only thing that comes to my mind is Korean toy cars we would play with!

Exteriors

This car is definitely ahead turner when it is launched.

To start off from the unique grill in the front with big Hyundai Logo is definitely an ‘i’ catcher.The car looks small & cute from outside & it has got very soft looks unlike swift which has got racing instincts.

The rear resembles first gen Santro which is launched around 10 years back & the rear end doesn’t have great looks in simple words.
The car really looks undertryed when you have a look close from rear because of the skinny tyres which doesn’t go well with the big wheel arches.

Interiors & Comfort

Though it looks small from outside, it doesn’t feel so from inside because of its airy & whole new beige Interiors.

The two-tone interiors give a rich feel & have set a benchmark for Small Car industry. Lot of plastics has been used in car & quality of plastics can be improved a lot.

The steering is pretty light, nice to hold & has got three spokes which makes the city maneuverability quite comfortable. The placements of Audio Units & Air Cons are really brilliant & the centre console looks good.

The instrumental panel is big enough to display few figures like speed, trip meters & many other warning lights like seatbelt, oil levels, battery, and powersteering

The Unique Gear position in the car gives the best drive than any other small cars. I10 has got Power Windows & Central Locking.

There are enough spaces to carry things like wallet, cell phone & bottles. The luggage space is decent but the deep loading is boon to load & un-load the things. The front door pockets are very small which cannot carry more than a diary & pen. The rear door doesn’t even have door packets which are bit disappointing.

The comfort level is really good & I would wish for more leg room which the car is really lagging. Air condition is really a plus in this kind of car because it cools up cabin very easily & fast indeed.

Handling & Performance

This car has got 80 bhp under the hoods & 1197cc DOHC Engine which makes it a rival in the entire segment.

Relax, sit inside & turn on the engine & for your surprise you will not hear any engine noise inside cabin. Move from 0 -100 is achievable in 12.8 seconds & it is quite a decent performance for a small car.

The gear shifts are super silent are engage properly without any trouble. The max speed of the car that I have driven till date is 165kmph. I will not say i10 as a great speed handler, because of the skinny tyres which make a brilliant car an underperformer.

Now it’s time to sit & travel back. Moving on to rear seat travelling comfort, it is not that great in city driving. The soft suspension spoils the whole fun & it doesn’t even takes up small path holes & gives a bumpy ride feel.

The leg room is less when compared to UVA or Getz & it can take on 2 adults in rear easily rather than saying 3 adults.

Safety & Fuel Efficiency

When it comes to safety, i10 doesn’t top the charts but the top end comes with a decent ABS & dual Air Bags. 100-0 halt in ABS version gives a neat 4.1 seconds stop.

FE of the car is where i10 really deserves. It gives 13+kmpl in city driving & 16+kmpl in Highway driving.

Advantages

Responsive & light steering
Nice looking interiors
Lot of optional features & engine variants

Disadvantages

Soft Suspension
Little cramped rear
Dead-pedal
Deep boot

TAI‘s Verdict

Attachments

Great report Zinam!!
Even my view is that currently this is the best small car in the car market. Great Interiors.
Little bit costly though[;)]

Enjoy your drive!!

Nice Report. I had never seen the interiors of i10,they look good.The car is total VFM.

I had seen a i10 some days ago with some good alloys & they believe me they completely change the look of the car.

Excellent report! Nice pics too. I've driven i10 kappa for a while. It impressed me a lot, but i feel it a tad pricier.

I'm quite surprised with the cars you considered, like you said they belong to different segments.

I'd like to disagree with you about the rear seat space of Swift and i10. Actually Swift has more legroom and comfort, but head room is a bit low. Short windows and black interiors make it look cramped than actually it is.

Thread Starter #6
I'd like to disagree with you about the rear seat space of Swift and i10. Actually Swift has more legroom and comfort, but head room is a bit low. Short windows and black interiors make it look cramped than actually it is.
Thanks CC!

I agree to your views, I didn't compare the width of swift & i10 as swift scores overs & it can take 3 adults easily!

But some how i find i10 more comfortable than swift! may be as you said, it may be because of the darker interior shades which makes the feel [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #8
Hi Whackedonce,

I can say the car was overpriced at the time of launch.

It was Sep 2008 when Kappa was available in stores. So i didn't get much discounts [frustration]

I paid Rs4,59,068 OTR Chennai + got few offers!

Insurance, 3rd Year warranty, Seat Covers, Sun Film, Remote Locking & Full Tank Petrol.

Now you can get 1.2 Magna for 4.13 Lakhs OTR (But without any offers) [cheers]

Hey nice report Zinam!! The interiors look super cool and the best in this segment!! The FE is also good when compared to swift!!

We belong to the hyundai family!!![cheers]

Hey zinam nice ownership report and awesome pics.
As Crazy cat told, The rear seating arrangement of the i10 is not very comfortable due to low legroom as compared to the front.

Thread Starter #12
What is service duration of i10? Is it months?
Service Duration is 6 months or 10,000Kms after 1st Year.

Hey nice report Zinam!! The interiors look super cool and the best in this segment!! The FE is also good when compared to swift!!
Thanks Cooldhaya!

Yes, Interiors are still best in class & FE is impressive.

Hey zinam nice ownership report and awesome pics.
As Crazy cat told, The rear seating arrangement of the i10 is not very comfortable due to low legroom as compared to the front.
Thanks Abhishek!

Ya, Leg room is not that sufficient when compared to the cars released now!

But it has the best rear seat comfort when it was released!

Top Bottom