Hyundai Grand i10 Battery Discharging Problem

Do you experience battery discharging issue in your Grand i10 / Xcent?

• Total voters
Thank you Sureshisme, the service representative did confirm that the software was updated the first time itself, strangely even he was clueless as to why this issue happened for the send time.

I have parked the car on Monday night and spent 5 mins just to make sure every light, etc is switched off. Keeping it idle for this week to see if the issue is fixed.

Planning to open the car daily from tomorrow to see if the battery indicator shows any signs of the battery draining.[sad]
bharat1974 is there any indicator which shows car battery is draining continiously[confused] Plz help me how to know my GRAND i10 battery draining when standing idle

Hope your battery draining issue will not crop up again. Do update here if you experience it again. I will spread all my lights to help you.
sureshisme how to ensure that all the lights are off please suggest. There are only three switches (including fog light) and tail lamp is in auto mode. Can we switch off tail lamp also in manual mode[roll]

Last edited by a moderator:
bharat1974 is there any indicator which shows car battery is draining continiously[confused] Plz help me how to know my GRAND i10 battery draining when standing idle

sureshisme how to ensure that all the lights are off please suggest. There are only three switches (including fog light) and tail lamp is in auto mode. Can we switch off tail lamp also in manual mode[roll]
By reading the owener's manual looks like the only way to know if the battery is draining is to check the Battery indicator in the instrument cluster when the car is running. If the Battery indicator is still on when the car is running, it means the battery is low. I am also looking for other solutions to see if there is any other way to find out if the battery is draining.

Grand I10 has a battery saver mode if your car is a sportz model or above so even if you leave the headlights or fog lamps on, it would be switched off when switch off the car. For the lights inside the car, make sure the interior room lamp is in off position. For the boot lamp, this is what I do - I slide down the rear seats so that I can see the boot space and then make sure the lamp is turned off.

is there any indicator which shows car battery is draining continiously[confused] Plz help me how to know my GRAND i10 battery draining when standing idle
hariomlko, there is no such indicator in the car which shows battery is draining. If you want to know the status of your battery every day, then the only way is to check it with a multimeter.
If you are able to start your car from idle after 4-5 days, then your car is perfectly fine against the draining issue.
sureshisme how to ensure that all the lights are off please suggest. There are only three switches (including fog light) and tail lamp is in auto mode. Can we switch off tail lamp also in manual mode
Auto mode??[confused] I haven't seen any auto mode in Grand i10.
"All lights" mentioned here are the cabin room lights, boot lamps,audio systems etc. Ofcourse the head lamps and tail lamps should be turned off before locking the car.

By reading the owener's manual looks like the only way to know if the battery is draining is to check the Battery indicator in the instrument cluster when the car is running. If the Battery indicator is still on when the car is running, it means the battery is low. I am also looking for other solutions to see if there is any other way to find out if the battery is draining.

Grand I10 has a battery saver mode if your car is a sportz model or above so even if you leave the headlights or fog lamps on, it would be switched off when switch off the car. For the lights inside the car, make sure the interior room lamp is in off position. For the boot lamp, this is what I do - I slide down the rear seats so that I can see the boot space and then make sure the lamp is turned off.
thankx bharat1974. to check boot lamp today onward i will do the same[:)]

hariomlko, there is no such indicator in the car which shows battery is draining. If you want to know the status of your battery every day, then the only way is to check it with a multimeter.
If you are able to start your car from idle after 4-5 days, then your car is perfectly fine against the draining issue.

Auto mode??[confused] I haven't seen any auto mode in Grand i10.
"All lights" mentioned here are the cabin room lights, boot lamps,audio systems etc. Ofcourse the head lamps and tail lamps should be turned off before locking the car.
hello sureshisme, thanks for your suggestion to check battery status.
what i mean to light auto mode was as we open tailgate boot lamp turns on automatically or when we open the door. door lamp turn on in automatic. i just want to know is there anyway to turn on/off boot lamp manually.

what i mean to light auto mode was as we open tailgate boot lamp turns on automatically or when we open the door. door lamp turn on in automatic. i just want to know is there anyway to turn on/off boot lamp manually.
I don't think there is any way you can turn off the Boot Lamp manually. It is directly linked to the battery. But if you follow my suggestion, I don't think you should have any issue with the lights being left turned on.

When was your vehicle manufactured? If it is after november then you need not worry about the battery draining issue as the newer batches do not have this issue. [:)]

You can turnoff the roof lamp manually, But there is no such solution for boot lamp. The boot lamp will not glow if you have closed the tail gate properly. Even then if you have any dilemma, then you can follow bharat1974's technique [thumbsup]

Hello there,

Let me put the point straight. I have planned to book grand i10 this week and I really wanted to know if any of you guys face battery discharge problem ? As I've seen couple of users on facebook and other review websites mentioned about this battery discharge problem with the keyless entry feature.

Let me know if any of you guys facing this. This could help me to choose either Grand i10 or i20.

Thanks for your help.
My friend, grand i10 clearly has design problems. They've packed too many features without the requisite backup such as extra power. Being one of the badly affected customer, let me caution you, don't go for Grand i10. You'll end up ruing your decision, for sure. I'm now depending on the consumer. I've interacted with other customers about the battery drain issue. This problem is not yet resolved.

Re: My Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol Ownership Review

Greetings, people. I am a Grand i10 Asta (Petrol) owner and would like to share an insight regarding the "Battery Drain" issue. Having experienced it twice within the last one month. Last time, it was at a busy round about. I had parked the car nearby with the emergency indicators on by the side of the road. I left the fan on at speed 2 as my father was waiting then. When I returned after about 15 minutes and tried to start the car, no response. There was the occasional sound of engine struggling to breathe but I couldn't help but think it had a "bad cough". The Roadside assistance guys came and tried jump starting. It worked. We followed them to the service center for a checkup where the technician said he'd update the "CPU", I knew he meant ECU but the hell with it. I was noticing carefully everything on the screen of the Tech2 meter and noticed a message, "The update is already installed" or a similar one. To my surprise, he stood up with a smile and said? "It's done. There won't be a problem now!". I told him plainly that I didn't see an "Updated ECU successfully" notification come up. The guy kept insisting as I checked the Tech2 with his contempt. The update was rolled out before the Manufacturing month of my car which meant my car had the latest update already installed. I HAD to get to the bottom of this! I started a conversation about ECUs and cattery drain and was able pull out some information about, albeit in the end. So, as it turns out, Hyundai is fully aware of this problem and suspected cars are checked for this at the First Service without the knowledge of the owner. The fault had been traced back to the Instrument Cluster which is said to be hogging the battery levels down. So what now? As the technician put it, 90% of the affected vehicles SHOULD not show the problem after the update. But the vehicles that came with the update already on the ECU, out the factory OR vehicles that had already been updated and are still showing the battery drainage issue... Have to get their whole instrument cluster replaced! (Free of cost, of course.) But the fun part is this. Although Hyundai Motors is AWARE of the problems with this model, they haven't given a full statement with the appropriate information yet. Tonight, my car again sat down "dead" as I was just sitting inside and going to grab some Take-out food for the family. Had to take my father's car instead. Ah... Tomorrow's follow up visit to my mother's doctor after her surgery in Delhi is also surely cancelled as I will have to sit with the skilled technicians and servicemen and figure this mess out. If someone is reading this to make up his/her mind about buying this car, don't buy it! This car is, on paper, the best hatchback this kind of money can buy you, it's the Indian Car of The Year 2013 BUT that's limited to the paper, my friend. This car has flaws, deep ones and a few of them too and they're not going to be rectified in the future. My father is now in a state of dislike for my first car and I have, along with many others, regretted going for the Hyundai! Let's see what the future holds now. If only I could go back in time and smack my head for distinguish buying these wheels. Oh well. Will provide you folks with a follow-up report after today's service station visit. I promise I'll make it shorter this time.

Greetings, people. I am a Grand i10 Asta (Petrol) owner and would like to share an insight regarding the "Battery Drain" issue. Having experienced it twice within the last one month. Last time, it was at a busy round about. I had parked the car nearby with the emergency indicators on by the side of the road. I left the fan on at speed 2 as my father was waiting then. When I returned after about 15 minutes and tried to start the car, no response. There was the occasional sound of engine struggling to breathe but I couldn't help but think it had a "bad cough". The Roadside assistance guys came and tried jump starting. It worked. We followed them to the service center for a checkup where the technician said he'd update the "CPU", I knew he meant ECU but the hell with it. I was noticing carefully everything on the screen of the Tech2 meter and noticed a message, "The update is already installed" or a similar one. To my surprise, he stood up with a smile and said? "It's done. There won't be a problem now!". I told him plainly that I didn't see an "Updated ECU successfully" notification come up. The guy kept insisting as I checked the Tech2 with his contempt. The update was rolled out before the Manufacturing month of my car which meant my car had the latest update already installed. I HAD to get to the bottom of this! I started a conversation about ECUs and cattery drain and was able pull out some information about, albeit in the end. So, as it turns out, Hyundai is fully aware of this problem and suspected cars are checked for this at the First Service without the knowledge of the owner. The fault had been traced back to the Instrument Cluster which is said to be hogging the battery levels down. So what now? As the technician put it, 90% of the affected vehicles SHOULD not show the problem after the update. But the vehicles that came with the update already on the ECU, out the factory OR vehicles that had already been updated and are still showing the battery drainage issue... Have to get their whole instrument cluster replaced! (Free of cost, of course.) But the fun part is this. Although Hyundai Motors is AWARE of the problems with this model, they haven't given a full statement with the appropriate information yet. Tonight, my car again sat down "dead" as I was just sitting inside and going to grab some Take-out food for the family. Had to take my father's car instead. Ah... Tomorrow's follow up visit to my mother's doctor after her surgery in Delhi is also surely cancelled as I will have to sit with the skilled technicians and servicemen and figure this mess out. If someone is reading this to make up his/her mind about buying this car, don't buy it! This car is, on paper, the best hatchback this kind of money can buy you, it's the Indian Car of The Year 2013 BUT that's limited to the paper, my friend. This car has flaws, deep ones and a few of them too and they're not going to be rectified in the future. My father is now in a state of dislike for my first car and I have, along with many others, regretted going for the Hyundai! Let's see what the future holds now. If only I could go back in time and smack my head for distinguish buying these wheels. Oh well. Will provide you folks with a follow-up report after today's service station visit. I promise I'll make it shorter this time.
It's SAD to know about these instances with your GRAND. I have been through the battery drain dwice and Can understand your pain. Please make sure you log your complaint with Hyundai and it does not stay with the dealer only.

Also write it on Hyundai Facebook page,you will find a many people fighting for battery issue there.

YEs its very SAD and unprofessional on the part of HYUNDAI of not acknowledging and adressing this issue officially.

My father is now in a state of dislike for my first car and I have, along with many others, regretted going for the Hyundai! Let's see what the future holds now. If only I could go back in time and smack my head for distinguish buying these wheels. Oh well. Will provide you folks with a follow-up report after today's service station visit. I promise I'll make it shorter this time.
I understand your frustration. With Hyundai's success history in India, I am not sure why they are openly accepting their issue and they should recall the cars. Many top brands do this once in a while. Nothing to be ashamed off...

Grand i10 is a serious contender for my new car. With these kind of comments from existing owners, makes the prospects like us think twice..thrice and drive us away.

Hyundai should really start to address the issue seriously.

Hi there,

As I already mentioned, I kept my Gi10 Asta (o) idle for 8 days, fortunately when started on 9th day it didn't give any problem.

Cheers....,
MANOJ

^^ Good to hear. And somewhere they mentioned the issue pertains in first batch of cars. But if you look into team BHP you can see even new lot of cars(some of them, not all) have this issue and owners are reporting so. So this got me confused.

I understand your frustration. With Hyundai's success history in India, I am not sure why they are openly accepting their issue and they should recall the cars. Many top brands do this once in a while. Nothing to be ashamed off...

Grand i10 is a serious contender for my new car. With these kind of comments from existing owners, makes the prospects like us think twice..thrice and drive us away.

Hyundai should really start to address the issue seriously.
You can surely go for Grand i10, with eyes closed. There is not battery discharge issue now. I started my car after 8 days and it is all fine. So don't worry about that. [:)]

--------------

Some friends of mine are telling that Hyundai service is cost is too high. Is it true?

Last edited:

Top Bottom