Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Review & Pictures: Grand Expectations

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
“Grand Expectations”

Hyundai-Grand-i10-Front.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Review Synopsis:
  • Hyundai Grand i10 2017 price starts at Rs.4.58 Lakh for Petrol and Rs.5.68 Lakh for Diesel (Ex.showroom, Delhi).
  • Hyundai India quietly rolled it out on 6th February 2017. Over 5,50,000 units of Grand i10 have found home globally within 3 Years.
  • The major highlight is the new 1.2L Diesel engine producing 75 PS @ 4000 RPM and torque of 19.4 Kgm @ 2250 RPM. ARAI Mileage: 24.95 Kpl.
  • The petrol engine is 1.2L Kappa producing 83 PS @ 6000 RPM and torque of 11.6 Kgm @ 4000 RPM. ARAI Mileage: 19.77 Kpl (MT) & 17.49 Kpl (AT).
  • Other highlights include redesigned fascia, DRLs, dual tone rear bumper, 7” touchscreen unit with navigation and rear camera, auto climate control etc.
Note: This review focuses only on the Diesel motor and revised aspects. Head onto this link for the Pre-facelift Hyundai Grand i10 review.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Grand i10 2017: Review

Hyundai-Grand-i10-Side-Profile.jpg

It’s a no-brainer why Hyundai Grand i10 has been selling like hot cakes ever since its launch in 2013. Elegant design, premium interiors and a super-refined diesel engine are its distinctive traits. To ensure it keeps ticking the cash register, Korean automaker has offered it a mid-life makeover. Hyundai Grand i10 in its new form irons out some of the flaws that we pointed out in its precursor, which now makes it a more sweet deal. The front view looks fresher with a redesigned bumper that incorporates new radiator grille, cascade design air dam and also what Hyundai calls “air curtains”. LED DRLs situated right next to fog lamps are a welcome addition. Front bumper appears wider and sportier, thanks to integrated skirts. Side profile is unchanged, except for the new-look diamond cut alloy wheels.

You won’t have been able to distinguish much on the rear either if it wasn’t for the dual-tone bumper, which is a love-it-or-hate-it element. Personally speaking, I find that black finishing adds more to the stance and machoness of Grand i10 on the rear. The quadrilateral reflectors are swapped by round reflectors (similar to those seen in i20 Active). The 1.2 D badge instead of CRDi badge is something eagle eyes will notice at a quick glance. Rear parking camera (albeit hidden under the Hyundai logo) is a new addition too. The fact that parking sensors extend sideward of the rear bumper is much appreciated. For an unknown reason, Hyundai has replaced that short radio antenna with a long one. Apart from that, the horn is weak for Indian conditions. Sounds more like that of an auto-rickshaw.

That said, Hyundai played it safe and included style enhancements without hampering elegant aspect of the design. Interiors witness even minimal changes. The 7” touch screen audio-video system with Smartphone connectivity, voice recognition and navigational support is the major highlight apart from the much-needed automatic air-conditioning. The 7” screen also serves as the rear camera display. You can pair it up with an Apple or Android Smartphone to enjoy various features such as call (button is located on steering), messaging, audio, video and navigation etc. The absence of climate control was a big drawback in previous Grand i10. This has been sorted out. The air-conditioner is quick in cooling the cabin and you can now set it to the exact desired temperature.

Hyundai-Grand-i10-1.2L-Diesel-Engine.jpg

Overall the interiors continue to be same as earlier. i.e premium, ergonomic and comfortable. The real talking point is under the hood. The diesel engine is revised variant of the former 1.1L unit. It’s a 1.2L motor that produces 75 PS @ 4000 RPM and torque of 19.4 Kgm @ 2250 RPM. This is 4 PS more in power and 3.1 Kgm more in torque figures and in practical, it shows. The petrol engine, on the other hand, is same 1.2L Kappa that churns out 83 PS @ 6000 RPM and torque of 11.6 Kgm @ 4000 RPM. The diesel is mated with a 5-speed manual transmission while the petrol offers a choice of 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic. Fuel efficiency is rated by ARAI as 24.95 Kpl (Diesel MT) and 19.77 Kpl (Petrol MT) & 17.49 Kpl (Petrol AT).

Being a 3-cylinder unit, the engine makes the car shudder evidently upon turning it on and off. You can, in fact, watch the engine itself vibrating terribly if you pop up the bonnet. The additional torque numbers have indeed helped. Not only to appear good on the paper but in real-world driving conditions as well. There’s no doubt that the Hyundai Grand i10 now feels much sportier to drive (something that we missed previously). Though the diesel clatter is very audible from mid-range onward, still the noise levels on the inside are controlled. Maneuvering this little hatchback is a lot more fun; it accelerates pretty quickly and handles well. There’s adequate amount of torque at the tap, making it ideal for city runs as usual. High-speed performance is equally delightful with sufficient power delivery for overtaking purpose.

Turbo lag like earlier is imperceptible and not a concern at all. Power delivery remains linear too. Soft-operating clutch is a boon and so is the improved-braking, even though I’d have preferred more crispiness-feel to the pedal. Gearshift too is light and short-throw. For the record, new Grand i10 does 50 Kph @ 3000 RPM in 2nd gear while the same figure is achieved at 2000 RPM in 3rd gear. Ride quality is mature for a hatchback of this segment. It rides comfortably over pot holes small or big (latter if carefully driven). Hyundai Grand i10 may have begun to appear a little dated in front of new competitors but it’s always been and still is a practical little hatchback. The best part is, with a more powerful (read driver-oriented) engine, it has now become an even better value for money proposition.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Grand i10 2017: You'll Love, You'll Loathe & Star Ratings

Hyundai-Grand-i10-Rear.jpg

You'll Love: [thumbsup]
  • Elegant exterior design; now looks sportier.
  • Spacious interiors. Premium and well-built plastics on the inside.
  • The revised diesel motor has absolutely made the Grand i10 fun to drive.
  • Strong dealership and after-sales network of Hyundai is only next to Maruti Suzuki.
  • The 7” touch-screen unit along with much needed climate control has made Grand i10 a better package.
You'll Loathe: [thumbsdown]
  • Headlamps require an upgrade if you travel often in dark.
  • Missing 60:40 split feature on the rear seats limits their utility.
  • Steering is improved by Hyundai standards but could have been better.
  • Horn sounds weak. Most won’t give side thinking it’s an auto-rickshaw behind.
  • The rear seat is ideal for two if the occupants in question are full-grown adults.
Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Star Ratings:
  • Design and Quality.................:
    8.5.gif
  • Comfort and Features............:
    ninestar.gif
  • Engine and Performance.........:
    ninestar.gif
  • Handling and Ride Quality.......:
    8.5.gif
  • Safety and Security Levels.....:
    eightstar.gif
  • Overall Fuel Consumption.......:
    8.5.gif
  • Sales and Service Network.....:
    8.5.gif
  • Value For Money Factor.........:
    ninestar.gif
  • The Automotive India's Verdict:
    ninestar.gif
Here's how to interpret above ratings: The Automotive India Reviews Star Ratings Explained.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Grand i10 2017: Price, Specifications & Brochure

Hyundai-Grand-i10-Front-Profile.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Price (Ex.showroom, Delhi):

Petrol
  • Era: Rs.4,58,400
  • Magna: Rs.5,22,990
  • Sportz: Rs.5,65,990
  • Asta: Rs.6,43,538
Diesel
  • Era: Rs.5,68,400
  • Magna: Rs.5,68,400
  • Sportz: Rs.6,58,989
  • Asta: Rs.7,32,890
Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Specifications:

Petrol
  • Engine: 1197 CC, 4-Cyl, 16 Valves
  • Power: 83 PS @ 6000 RPM
  • Torque: 11.6 Kgm @ 4000 RPM
  • Transmission: 5 Speed MT / 4 Speed AT
  • Fuel Efficiency: 19.77 Kpl (MT) & 17.49 Kpl (AT)
Diesel
  • Engine: 1186 CC, 3-Cyl, 12 Valves
  • Power: 75 PS @ 4000 RPM
  • Torque: 19.4 Kgm @ 1750 - 2250 RPM
  • Transmission: 5 Speed MT
  • Fuel Efficiency: 24.95 Kpl
General Specifications
  • Front Brakes: Disc
  • Rear Brakes: Drum
  • Front Suspension: McPherson Strut
  • Rear Suspension: Coupled Torsion Beam Axle
  • Fuel Tank: 43 Liters
  • Length: 3765 mm
  • Width: 1660 mm
  • Height: 1520 mm
  • Wheelbase: 2425 mm
  • Tyre Size: 165/65 R14
Hyundai Grand i10 (2017) Exterior Colors:
  • Star Dust
  • Pure White*
  • Sleek Silver
  • Red Passion*
  • Twilight Blue
  • Golden Orange*
Note: Asterisk (*) denotes our preferred choice of colors.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Grand i10 2017: Video Review

Hyundai Grand i10 Engine NVH

Hyundai Grand i10 Interiors NVH

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Hyundai Grand i10 2017: Pictorial Review

Spot the difference. Front changes include redesigned grille, bumper and LED DRLs.

No noticeable difference on the side view, except for the alloys.

Rear now looks more macho. Doesn’t it?

Headlamps and taillamps design is same as earlier.

New cascade design grille.

LED DRLs are a welcome addition. Right above the foglamps is what Hyundai calls air-curtain for better aerodynamics.

Sleek and stylish chrome door handles.

New Diamond cut alloys wrapped with 165/65 R14 Apollo Amazer.

Neat front mudguard.

Thick black roof rails are not only practical utility-wise but also serve as a design element.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team

Ingress and egress is very comfortable for people of all age-groups.

Sleek ORVMs provide a decent view but are not biker-friendly (auto-fold feature helps though).

No scuff-guard.

Tyre pressure placard with figures for 175/60 R15 size too.

We wonder why Hyundai has swapped that small good-looking antenna with this l-o-n-g unit.

The rear spoiler is a cool design feature.

Spotted this awkward fitting related panel gap on right-side taillamp (showed on left).

Reverse camera is a real boon (no steering-direction markings though).

Hyundai i20 Active like rear reflectors. We appreciate the fact that sensors extend sideward of the rear bumper.

A closer look of the new rear bumper.

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team

Hood is well-insulated.

This revised U2 CRDi 1.2L, 3-cylinder, 12 valve motor has made all the difference.

Good. Diesel markings printed on both the caps.

Tailpipe neatly tucked under the body.

Boot is very spacious for regular and weekend trips alike.

Nice handle to bring down the hatch (as seen in high-end cars).

Spare wheel is same sized but of steel.

Headlamp beams have a long throw but are very weak. We recommend an upgrade.

You won’t find any unnecessary badges on Grand i10. The 1.2L badge replaces the traditional CRDI badge.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team

No major changes on the inside. 7” touchscreen and auto-climate control are the only real highlights.

You won’t mind spending time inside this well-built cabin when stuck in long traffic jams.

Steering mounted audio controls come handy.

Notice the new voice command button.

Indian-spec stalks are of decent quality too.

Lots of flat area on top of the dashboard but practically useless.

I love this attention to detail.

Good view from IRVM. Rear seat headrest neatly sets down to provide a clear view.

The sporty start-stop button. Observe the classy dashboard plastic quality.

Missing vanity mirror on the driver’s side.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team

Front seats are very supportive and comfortable.

The rear seats are equally very comfortable and spacious.

All four doors offer provision to keep 1-liter water bottles.

The well-spaced pedals. Clutch is a delight to use.

Floor mat hooks are a small but very significant feature.

Hyundai-Mobis is a spare parts and service arm of the South Korean auto giant.

Slim A-Pillars don’t cause hindrance while making U-Turns.

Microphone on roof for the voice-command feature.

Integrated coat hook on the rear grab-handle.

No height-adjustable seat belts.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team

Simple and easy-to-read instrument cluster.

MID is surprisingly feature-less. All it has is two tripmeters, average speed and time since trip started.

Driver seat is height adjustable. The adjust-mechanism is much like my Fiesta's.

Neck rests…Oops. Headrests are integrated.

I love the attention to detail, again. Look at that flap on side of the seat to cover up the metal.

Great space inside the glovebox.

Lots of storage space. I love that center-console mobile holder in particular. BTW handbrake was very lose on our car.

Here’s a look at the new 7” touch screen unit.

Air-con chills to the core. Auto-climate control feature was much needed.

Short-throw and light-to-use gear stick.

View of outside from rear windscreen while sitting on driver’s seat.

Seatback pocket only on the left hand side.

Segment-first rear air-con vents (with a 12V socket below).

Transmission tunnel is almost-flat. Floor base is slanted for convenience (RHS image).

Minimum and maximum rear legroom. You won’t complain even when chauffeur driven.

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Republishing the text or pictures anyway without prior consent of our authorities is strictly forbidden.

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 2017 Review & Pictures: Grand Expectations

Neat and crisp review on new Grand i10 Vibhor. This car is definitely a good choice for small families.

Very nice review. Thanks. So rear seat adjustable head rests are present only in the Asta variant? What about defogger?

bhvm

Honoured Member

Nicely put review 350z!
Now Why do they have to put that Fish mouth style black bumper on the rear?
Round reflectors look so rikshaw-class and there are no bold Black elements present elsewhere in the theme. Old gen car looks better from the rear.

Top Bottom