Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

bhvm

Honoured Member
Wow Mr. vijay_968
that was a sorry tale with a happy ending!

These pipes are usually made of rubber, making it easy for rats to bite. They used to be metal in older cars (2000 or older).

Thread Starter #122
75,000+ Km Update

One advantage of having a no-nonsense car is that a nice "SHORT-NOTICE Trip" is always around the corner. We had TWO (:-) One to Kerala and another to TN.

The Kerala Trip was on 2nd and 3rd Oct 2018; The TN trip was to Thiruvannamalai on 18th & 19th Oct 2018.

The 1st "Short-Notice Trip":
On the morning of 1st Oct, as I was getting ready for office, my Hi Command expressed her desire to have darshan at Sri Kadampuzha Bhagavathy Temple, Malappuram Dist in Kerala (link). Like Mata Vaishno Devi Temple at Katra, J&K (link), where it is believed that "Saraswati, Lakshmi and Durga" are toggether, in Kadampuzha Bhagavathy Temple too Amman is worshiped as "Saraswati in the mornings, Durga in the afternoon and Lakshmi in the evening". Lucikly, around noon I realised that I could take leave on 3rd and the Trip was confirmed. Accommodation was booked at the Devaswom Rest House 0494-2618000.

Google Maps suggested the route via Mysore while a Keralite friend suggested me to go via Coimabator-Palakkad and I took his advice.

At 5 am on 2nd Oct, we started the drive and kept speeds under 100 kph and enjoyed the leisurely drive... till we hit the by-pass Road (???) on the outskirts of Coimbatore (NH 544 to Palakkad). Around 11 am we crossed TN-Kerala Border. The Route taken was "Palakkad-Mundur-Peringole-Cherpulassery-Koppam-Valanchery-Kadampuzha" (as suggested by Google, once I crossed Coimbatore).

Screenshot_20181009-172020.jpg

Driving in Kerala is such a fine EXPERIENCE. Apart from the scenic beauty, generally car/bus/truck drivers follow rules. At times, I was forced to follow an Auto-rickshaw. As the road was narrow, there was a pile up behind me, BUT NO ONE HONKED. People wait for their turns, like in Developed Countries... Clap Clap Clap [clap]. Progress though was slow, as the roads were narrow and also broken at many places; most likely due to the recent heavy Rains. Maybe a TOTAL of 20-25 kms really tested the tyres, suspension and my patience.

Due to a problem in rear Brake Shoes, there was a delay and we reached Kadampuzha around 5pm. Checked into the Rest House and went to the Temple nearby. Temple was free of crowd and we had a relaxed and satisfying darshan. If you are visiting there on a week-day, no need to book for any Pooja in advance. If you enquire, information flows smoothly, from the Priests, Temple workers, the Shop-keepers etc. We sat inside the Temple till about 7:30pm ; Such a calming experience.

Having Veg dinner posed a minor problem, but we somehow managed with what the restaurant called Dosa.

Next day morning we entered the Temple premises by 6 am, with a load of Coconuts. Within 15 minutes we were standing in-front of sanctum sanctorum. The Priests there did a very honest job [clap]. Sat inside the peaceful Temple till 7:30am and chanted whatever Mantra I could recollect. By 8:15am we left Kadampuzha. Finding a Veg restaurant was again a little problem but we managed locate one within an hour. By 11am, we were at Coimbatore Pothys. Family was foot-loosing between floors, till i got tired.

Left Coimbatore by 4:30pm, drove thro' the evening traffic. When we crossed Avinasi area, it started raining cats and dogs. In our last three trips (including this one), it always rained on the return trip back home. Heavy rains continued till outskirts of Salem and then eased. Enjoyed this 100+ km long drive by dropping speed to 60 kph. As we left Salem area, rains stopped. Had dinner at Thoppur A2B and drove sedately and reached home by 11:30pm. Yet another very satisfying trip was completed.

BTW, the alternate route could be THIS ---> On the NH966 via "Palakkad-Mundur-Mannarkkad-Perintalmanna", turn Left at Naranath, take the Porunommal-Narannam Road till Chullikode, then "Perinthalmanna-Kottakkal Road" till Padapparamba then " take "Padapparamba-Pang-Valanchery Road" till Pang followed by "Pang-Kadampuzha Road". Though Google said "this route will take MORE TIME", I believe the other way, as the Route is MOSTLY BLUE in color. Members from Kerala may comment on this; will help others make a learned choice.

Screenshot_20181009-171928.jpg

Dull moments:
(1) On the outskirts of Coimbatore, Paid Rs.45 as toll charge to pass ALL toll booths; HAD to stop at “ALL remaining four or five MORE tolls” to show this receipt. Collective waste of precious Fuel [frustration] Arghhhhh...

(2) A little after the 1st or 2nd of these stupid tolls, the road becomes "dual lanes without divider". Drivers in the “opposite direction” try intimidating you by driving in your lane, straight at you. Drivers of some popular “Tin Factory Cars” do indulge in this MORE. Many felt that overtaking was their birth right, no matter what. I wish, they attempted overtaking at their own power; NOT at my mercy. Authoritative Begging is ROBBERY, and the robbed might be more authoritative. "How we deal with these lunatic gentlemen" is individual's choice. But, being forced to show "little aggression on the day of Gandhi Jayanti" to GET MY RIGHT for a Peaceful Drive” was little bugging me.

(3) TWO wheeler drivers are same everywhere ; even on the narrow roads leading to Kadampuzha, most of them always preferred driving by the side of my Car. Slowing down and allowing them to go ahead REDUCED MY tension.

(4) A little before Cherpulassery I started hearing a sound, a mild beep-cum-hum as if coming from an electronic device. It was NOT a whining sound, though. Soon, I figured out, it was coming whenever I applied brakes. 2nd Oct being Holiday, the nearby Hyundai showroom was closed. Luckily located a small "Car Mechanic Shop". They confirmed that both Rear Brake PADS were completely worn; a metal part (in the Pad assembly) was touching the Disc, whenever the brakes were applied... Ahhhh... Luckily no damage to the Discs or any other part. A "Maruti made Spare part" arrived soon and they changed it. Cost ? Just Rs 1050 (for part and labour). Point is, during the 70,000 Km Service, the Front Brake Pads ALONE were replaced (link) and I was told that the rear could last for another 4-5,000 km. The Odo had clocked 73,000 plus by this time; the stupid me forgot THAT advice. I should have changed the Pads during the 70K service; it would have cost Rs.1400/- My mistake and I paid the price by driving tense for about 30-40 minutes.

(5) What else ? The entire up-and-down trips between Floors in Coimbatore Pothys. I wonder how women get so much strength while shopping !!!

The 2nd "Short-Notice Trip": Around 11 am on 18th morning, my daughter expressed her desire to do Girivalam at Thiruvannamalai. In spite of our many visits, we had NEVER done Girivalam on foot. By 2:15 pm my Verna was on road, heading out of B'lore. As "Krishnagiri to Thiruvannamalai Road Conditions" are regularly asked by many, the trip to Thiruvannamalai will be covered separately. In a nut-shell, if you use Google Maps Navigation, it is easy to tackle the potholes in that 100 km stretch. The BLUE Color in Google Navigation is the key. At the end of THAT trip, the Odo crossed 75,000 km (phew.... finally linked to post title).

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thread Starter #124
75,000+ Kms Update

Ha Ha... Now waiting for your Thiruvannamalai T-log.
Whats google to do with potholes? Are they showing potholes on map? (I wish they did) ... BTW, I hope you are aware of my latest toy-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-blue-elephant-my-safari-4x4-review-mods.html
Thank you. Tata Safari was once my DREAM MACHINE; my wife liked the HIiiiiigh seating position a lot. In those days never considered it due to Financial Limitations. Then my attention got diverted to a Fast Sedan and got this Rocket. But, kabhi kabhi I keep checking about Safari on Tata Website. Will go thro' your thread and ADD MORE FUEL to MY (currently controlled) FIRE.

Here is the Travelogue ---> "Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Uthangarai-Chengam-Thiruvannamalai" Road Conditions are covered in this link (here).

Catching up with NH-77 :
On 18th, left home at 2:15 pm and stopped at A2B, Chinnar for the regular Coffee break at 4:15 pm. Saw this beautiful sky.
Pic1.jpg

After taking the LEFT turn to Chennai, a signboard guided me to go below the flyover and take right. Took that RIGHT turn to NH-77 (Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai Road), at 5:15 pm. Google Maps declared a running time of 2 Hrs and 30 Min for the 115 km route. Within few minutes, we were greeted by potholes. Babied the car over the poor stretch; may be 2-3 minutes and saw road becoming good ahead. Turned OFF Google Navigation and settled for a sedate drive at 70-80.

"Sweeper Car" Fun :
10-15 minutes later, a TN registered White Zest overtook me. The driver slowed down at the exact RIGHT SPOTS to counter the potholes and was almost gliding nicely. I felt that he is a regular in the route, and decided employ the Zest as a FREE "sweeper car". Though I followed the Zest at a safe distance, I could feel that the driver was getting irritated. He was making some aggressive overtaking moves to get away from me, but I was not having any of it. Just as we entered Uthangarai, there was a traffic pile up. The Zest went to the right-side lane and overtook a "Polo, Ritz, one more car and a Truck" in one single move. Traffic thro Uthangarai was slow. Just outside the Town I saw the Zest stuck behind a Bus and a Truck; as I lined up behind the Zest, I was grinning. By the time we were driving thro' Singarapettai, the Zest driver could have felt "enough was enough" and halted at a Tea Shop. I went past and stopped at a Tea shop a km ahead. As I was getting out of the Car, the Zest drove past [lol]

Final 55 kilometers :
When I restarted, a TN Govt Green bus heading for Pondicherry had all the hall marks of a "Sweeper Bus". Psss Psss, generally these green buses are slow. Followed that Bus for about 10 minutes and then went past him as I felt the Bus was slowing me down. Though there were potholes, there was absolutely NO requirement for "Google Maps or a Sweeper vehicle" for the last 40 odd km to Thiruvannamalai. By 7:15 pm, we stopped for Dinner at Chola Hotel, just outside Thiruvannamalai. 115km completed in 2 Hrs. It took me 3.5 Hrs, way back in Nov 2015. BTW, Veg food at Chola was below average.

Darshan :
I missed to spot the available slots in advance, had to drive around the Temple once and parked outside the North Gopuram (Tower) of Sri Arunachalesvara Temple. Entered the Temple premises at 8:30, joined the thin General Darshan Queue, prayed to both Mr and Mrs Shiv ji and came out of Temple by 8:50 pm. Inside the Temple Complex, the entrance to Annamaliyar Sannidhi can be seen in the Pic below (the Holi Flag Pole is in front of entrance):
Pic2.jpg

BTW, the Temple remains open till 9:30 pm.

Stay : I was worried about this, due to the rush during Puja Holidays, but found that it is not a problem. Got a suitable Accommodation using Google maps and checked in by 9:30. Next day morning, we had tasty Break-fast at Hotel Rudrakksh by the side of Raja Gopuram.

Girivalam on 19th :
Normally there is always crowd in front of Raja Gopuram (in Pic below). On 19th, we were lucky with minimal crowd. I was able to click this Pic without anyone bumping me.
Pic3.jpg
Outside the Gates of Raja Gopuram we prayed and started Girivalam by 8:15 am. The route is 14 km long. One of my friends told me to pray at all of the eight "Ashta Lingam Temples" around Arunachala Hill along the Girivalam path. A generic "Map with a List" is here in this link and a nice write-up is here in the link.

Roads are clean; mostly with tree canopy. There are lots and lots of Cement Benches all the way. Even though it was 'day time on a Holiday' we always had company; people were ahead and behind us ... always... ALWAYS. Plenty of Tea/Coffee/Cool-drinks/Tender Coconut shops. However, I noticed only five or six Medical shops till Kubera Lingam Temple.

Google Maps navigated me to one after another Temple and it was soooooo easy. The last time my family walked a long distance was while coming downhill from Kedarnath Temple, in May 2004. I was bit worried of walking 14 km at a stretch, but "the distance and time to the next Temple" as shown by Maps was nicely Motivating us. Without Navigation we would have missed the "Eesanya Lingam Temple", the Eigth Temple. In fact we followed the Main Road and missed the LEFT turn towards Cemetery; the Voice Navigation corrected me. Don't you miss this Temple. From here, the route is basically thro' the busy traffic of the Town.

At 1:45 pm, we arrived at the gates of Raja Gopura, where we started five-and-half hours ago in the morning. Prayed there, thanking Shiv ji for giving a wonderful opportunity (of completing Girivalam on foot) after all these years. They say, the Girivalam is incomplete without visiting these 8 Lingams. If NOT for my Friend and Collegemate Nehru Kumar from Chennai, I would have given a miss to these Ashta Linga Temples. Thanks Nehru [thumbswink]

Winding up :
With the purpose of the Visit over, we had Lunch at Hotel Rudrakksh. I found this one much better than the one "one-floor below" (where I had had food on many earlier occasions). Went to the Hotel and rested for a while.

Left Thiruvannamalai town at 4:30 pm. With the help of Map Navigation, I was able to "slow down at THE RIGHT SPOTS and avoid unpleasant potholes. I am pretty sure, that "those following me would have felt that I was a REGULAR on those roads"... the way I felt about the Zest Driver. Kept the Navigation ON till I touched the intersection to Krishnagiri on the Chennai-B'lore NH at 6:15 pm; 115km done in 1 Hr and 45 Min flat [clap]

Traffic towards B'lore :
19th being two days ahead of Sunday (which would have seen HUGE INFLOW of those returning to B'lore after Puja Holidays) roads were NEAR EMPTY. The Krishnagiri Toll Plaza was almost EMPTY... We stopped at my Wife's Fav Chennai Silks for some shopping. Had Dinner at A2B there. By 9:45 pm we crossed into KA limits and found that the Attibele Toll had long Queues. Could not join the FasTag Lane, but luckily, my lane was a hybrid lane and moved faster. At 11 pm sharp we reached my Residence. Many a times, I spend 1Hr 15Min, just to cover the distance from "Residence to Shanti Nagar Bus Stand".

Aftermath of walking 14 long km :
When we returned from Ma Vaishno Devi Temple in 2003-04, we had pain in the Calf muscles for couple of days. Girivalam being done on Flat path, there was NO PAIN. We had a delightful Short-Notice Trip.

Verna's Contribution :
Irrespective of the Road conditions, my Verna leaves other cars behind; basically no one troubles me on the Road. It is calm to maintain speed, very comfy with direction changes while zipping thro potholes and with 'all that torque', it is quick to run away from idiots. My Verna became sooooo friendly with this NH-77, in the entire return leg from "Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri", NOT a SINGLE vehicle went past us. And, it has crossed 75,000+ Kms finally.

Thread Starter #125
Two weeks ago, while replying to TAI member Nairrk, I decided to go to Dakshina Tirupati, at Gopasandaram, between Hosur & Krishnagiri, in TN. Post ref here and Temple location here. Starting early to avoid evening Office Hour rush, helped us reach the Temple in two hours, at 5 pm. Onward journey was extremely relaxed. There was no crowd at the Temple; couple of Families and few Bachelor guys. The Temple is not much large, but adequate in size for a stress free darshan. Statue of Shri Balaji takes inspiration from Tirupati, and may be about 4 feet plus. Offered my Prayers very relaxed, clicked pictures and left. Some Pics below:

The lines convey that we can expect heavy crowds during important festivals. 18th Dec 2018 being "Vaikunta Ekadashi", one can expect sizable crowds, I feel. A Flex-board announced that "Swarga Dwara will open at 6:00 am".
Pic 0.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Highlight of this place : If you want to hit the NH to get rid of "typical boring day-to-day office Drive", this is one of the places to visit. No crowd, fresh air, beautiful scenery, etc. Ohhh, remember to select an appropriate day and time to avoid B'lore traffic; and remember to take the Elevated Expressway.

Nuisance while returning : After entering B'lore limits, I missed the left to the "Elevated Expressway" and took road below it. Had a VERY TOUCH TIME in traffic and encountered two bad 2-wheeler riders intent on not seeing Sunrise the next day (link here) [frustration]

Immediately after Lalbagh, stopped at a Car accessory shop, bought "two blind spot mirrors" (Rs. 300/- per set) and fixed them then and there. Though I bought them for "added LEFT side view", I am not yet comfortable getting info from the LEFT side Chottu (objects look very small). . The right Chottu Mirror is nearby and quite helpful See these sample below;

Pic 4.jpg

The RED Car is not seen in the Right side ORVM. Feels nice to spot them "Street Racers on 2W or that impatient Car drivers going to wrong lane to go past everyone. [cheers]
Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Oh, BTW, this is how my Verna looks now :
Pic 3.jpg

bhvm

Honoured Member
These are what I use on My Safari 4x4. A proper elephant that is, I wanted some wider ones as the round ones are much TOO small (Made for bikes maybe?)
As you can see, the added width is really a game up from stock mirrors.

Thread Starter #127
These are what I use on My Safari 4x4. A proper elephant that is, I wanted some wider ones as the round ones are much TOO small (Made for bikes maybe?)
As you can see, the added width is really a game up from stock mirrors..
nXQ3etGoxSOszLrhcDR2YBM0bEb7VKaxOheaGl8e7eeZu9iUV5D0P9FE5Lev3ZrcbUDE-BgnY7AsSgfOI-=w1094-h820-no.jpg
Yes, your wider ones cover lot more and easy on the eyes. I think I bought mine in a hurry; Grrrr. I will keep mine till they fall off and go for the wider ones...

In the mean time, today morning, I had a nice opportunity to quantitatively figure out "how much MORE ANGLE these chottu Blind Spot Mirrors (BSM) can cover". In the first Pic below, from Driver's perspective the JEEP Compass is NOT visible in main OVRM. Yet, the BSM shows the JEEP.C.
Pic-01.jpg

Close-up view while retaining the angle (from driver's eyes), below:
Pic-02.jpg

Time for analysis:
Pic-03.jpg

As can be seen, these BSMs can add at the least 20 degree extra view to the driver.

Doesn't sound much ? Check out how the three cars are spread out:
Pic-04.jpg

Imagine driving on the "left of middle" lane on NH and imagine that the Red Car is NOT at all there in the Scene. The right ORVM will show things are fine behind and one might decide to go to the right lane. There could be a 2 Ton vehicle just 2m behind and 5m to the right accelerating HARD in that lane. THAT would be scary. I had one such nasty incidence on Highway and wrote about it in TAI (link). With a BSM, I feel I could have totally avoided THAT incidence.

I strongly recommend EVERY vehicle owner/driver to fix BSMs in the interest of Safety. Remember to get those wider ones, as posted by member bhvm.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Some nice mathematics you have there.
And yes, there is one more trick I do with BSMs.

You see when driving at night there are these high beaming idiots all over our roads. And the worse are ones closely following us with entire full beam focused on your face. With BSMs, you can. 'spoil' the setting of your orvms just enough to miss the full boom of pain, yet have rearward traffic visible in bsm. Just little smaller.

Thread Starter #129
On Saturday/Sunday went to "Adhiyaman Kottai near Dharmapuri in TN" (TAI link). As folks were leaving B'lore for New Year celebrations, it took nearly 2Hrs 30 Mins to pass Hosur. Kept at 80ish speeds, stopped at A2B, Chinnar for Dinner and reached Temple at 11:05 pm. Nothing worth mentioning special happened during the onward journey. On the return journey things became interesting.

When I joined NH 44, i settled for 80ish speeds. Within few kilometers "a Vento from Kerala and a Tata Nexon with KA registration" went past me at 110-120 ish speeds. The road ahead was straiiiiiight; I could see the Nexon chasing Vento, but the Vento was pulling ahead clean & fast. Soon they both disappeared from my view.

Audi - Nexon Drama:
5 minutes or so later, an Audi came into view, in my IRVM, overtook me soon and disappeared. As I reached the top of the next Highway over bridge, I spotted a convoy of trucks holding up the Nexon and the Audi (the Vento was gone). Soon I was behind the Audi; it was an A4, had TN plates and was in Navy Blue or Midnight Blue color. THOSE tail-lights, the Blue Color, the entire package --- simply groovieeeeee. My Apartment co-owner too has same model; but that A4 in White doesn't have the appeal of this one in Blue. IMO, compared to the 2011-12 model A4, current gen A4's tail-lights look lousy. Soon we all cleared the trucks and the road was like "vehicles in typical zig-zag pattern on a TWO + TWO Lane NH".

When the Audi wanted to go past, the Nexon changed lane [surprise]. It happened a 2nd time & 3rd too, when the A4 had a clear chance. I needed to see the drama, and so I followed the A4. This continued for 4-6 minutes, at speeds more than 120 kph, with Nexon's indicator coming ON, a freak second before it changed Lane. Though i liked the high speed performance of Nexon & Driver combo, what the Driver did was ALL wrong. Hi Mr.Unknown driving that White Nexon with KA51 (was it KA53 ?! ) plates; Biiiig or Small, less powerful or more powerful, you shouldn't BLOCK ANY Vehicle. Thumbs down Thumbs down... On purpose i was some 50-60 feet behind the Audi, where the Nexon Driver might totally ignore me [evil].

Verna joins the Party:
A Highway over bridge with THREE empty LANES was fast approaching and i saw the Audi positioning itself ... i dropped a gear. As soon as the Nexon started its climb on the Bridge, the A4 zoomed past it. With blaring horn, i too lapped the Nexon [;)] ... i am pretty sure the Nexon driver didn't have a Clue about my Verna. The Nexon tried gamely for quite some time but we left him behind for good.

At Krishnagiri Toll, I went ahead of A4, thanks to FasTAG. For the next 20km till A2B Restaurant, Chinnar, i did not see neither the A4 nor the Nexon. Alas, the opening on the median to take a right turn for A2B was closed by NHAI (very very good move, NHAI - my thumbs up); earlier there was an opening a km later and THAT too was closed. Dropped speed as we were discussing about breakfast; the A4 went ahead. Still no sign of THAT Nexon.

Attention:
All those returning to B'lore / Hosur and thinking of having Dinner at A2B Restaurant at Chinnar... ALL other goody goody restaurants are also on the other side. i couldn't locate a break in the median even beyond McDees near Shoolagiri. WE need to work out a new strategy. The A2B at Hosur does NOT have the typical ambience of a Highway Motel. Give me a suggestion, please.

Got a Speeding Ticket:
Started from A2B Hosur after breakfast; entered B'lore limits and took the Elevated Toll Road. Spotted a brisk Punto and just followed it. We BOTH were stopped by Cops. The good Cop told me "Sir, doing 116 kph is NOT good". i smiled stupidly, paid Rs 700 penalty and collected the Ticket. Wify remained grim for few minutes; everything is MY FAULT :-)

That FUN of following an Audi helped us in one way: the 180km long onward journey took 4 Hrs 20 Min (6:45 pm to 11:05 pm), while the return journey took just 3 Hrs 05 Min (8:40am to 11:45am). I would advice everyone to stick within YOUR OWN LIMITS. Once at home, the idea of stretching legs on a warm bed (after spending more than 16 Hrs in Car) was more appealing than Lunch. Hit the bed and slept till evening :-) Drive Safe, enjoy your drives and YIELD. Have a great Year 2019.

... And yes, there is one more trick I do with BSMs... worse are ones closely following us with entire full beam focused on your face. With BSMs, you can. 'spoil' the setting of your orvms just enough to miss the full boom of pain, yet have rearward traffic visible in bsm. Just little smaller.
That's a nice way, but didn't work for me in the recent Trip above; i needed full view on the bigger ORVMs. But, I found yet another use for these BSMs; while the LEFT ORVM is adjusted for the Driver, the Left BSM can be adjusted for front passenger separately. Found it to be very handy when my daughter drove Verna recently in City traffic.

I like such chase experiences as myself i always use this technique during my native place visits.
Say mostly Innovas ,premium cars are the ones which tend to go at higher speeds. Difference being Premium cars generally just sound one single horn , "Please, give me a way ."(I assume that horn in that way) , while Innovas (Taxies)- They tend to blare the horn , "Move aside chap , i am king of road."(Tend to be irritation).
What I do is most cases I allow the ride to overtake , mostly the premium ones as well as some Innovas who tend to decently horn and overtake. Advantage for me is , they act as my escorts , I chase after them , in a safe manner , I leave a gap of 20m always , so that I can safe brake, and I tend to reach destination way faster than expected.
I don't prefer to give way for any of the political party flag pasted or masted onto bonnet ones , as they neither drive well , nor they show a correct attitude, and mostly family members persuade don't go for a rage , allow it to pass, and then only I allow them to pass.

My rule is - "Any vehicle above my engine power specification can overtake me and also ones in Emergency , all others please follow me , as I myself is in adequate speed , I drive in 80-100 in highways , and within 70kmph in free city roads.

Thread Starter #131
I like such chase experiences as myself i always use this technique during my native place visits.
Say mostly Innovas ,premium cars are the ones which tend to go at higher speeds. Difference being Premium cars generally just sound one single horn , "Please, give me a way ."(I assume that horn in that way) , while Innovas (Taxies)- They tend to blare the horn , "Move aside chap , i am king of road."(Tend to be irritation).
What I do is most cases I allow the ride to overtake , mostly the premium ones as well as some Innovas who tend to decently horn and overtake. Advantage for me is , they act as my escorts , I chase after them , in a safe manner , I leave a gap of 20m always , so that I can safe brake, and I tend to reach destination way faster than expected.
I don't prefer to give way for any of the political party flag pasted or masted onto bonnet ones , as they neither drive well , nor they show a correct attitude, and mostly family members persuade don't go for a rage , allow it to pass, and then only I allow them to pass.

My rule is - "Any vehicle above my engine power specification can overtake me and also ones in Emergency , all others please follow me , as I myself is in adequate speed , I drive in 80-100 in highways , and within 70kmph in free city roads.
Funny guy you are, Vishnu. Your observation about cars and their behaviour on highways, is spot on [cheers]

When I bought my Verna in 2012, lot many white and yellow board Innovas tried to boss around. Over the years, they are used to what a Verma can do and give proper space nowadays. Vehicles with Political colors are to be avoided, AFAIK. Sometimes, seeing my grey hairs, some of those drivers dare to irritate me. Challenge is accepted always and i show them who the Boss is... Scorpio to Fortuner NO vehicle is spared; a Race is a Race [drive]

Other than these times, if someone is faster than me, i always yield. Altos and Nanos have gone psst my Verna, so many times. But, after overtaking me, some guys like to "drive just a little ahead of me". It happens mostly with Swift drivers and is bloody irritating; I overtake them and keep moving ahead. Some of them give a chase. But i just leave them behind for good.

Thread Starter #132
Yesterday morning, i picked up family from Shanti Nagar Bus Stand. I just wanted to see the effect of driving in "early morning thin traffic, but thro Speed Bumps". Avoided the smooth "Hebbal - Mekhri Circle - Golf Course Route", and drove thro Mathikere-Malleswaram-Anand Rao Circle. Yet the entire 39km to-and-fro drive took only 45 minutes. Two weeks earlier, i covered the same distance in 40 minutes - just 5 minutes is the difference due to Speed Bumps. BTW, same distance if covered In the regular time traffic (between 7:30 AM and 9:00 PM), it would take around "1 Hr to 1 Hr 30 Min". Max time i spent for this distance is 110 Minutes as mentioned in PS-1 in my post #87 in this same thread (link). Got a FE of 17.7 kpl in this drive.

Verna crossed 76,000 km. Considering that 75,000 km were done around 18th Oct 2018, this was the slowest 1,000 km over 3 months. Though my work place is just 3km from home, my Daughter getting busy with her 7th Semester Studies & Exams was the prime reason for clocking a dismal average of 333 km per month over three months.

Odo Combo.jpg

Bangalore's heavy traffic and the headache of finding 'parking spot' are forcing us to buy from Shops near home or use Bike / City Bus for those mandatory Trips to Malleswaram. Too many Cars are being parked on Streets / Roads to worsen the situation [frustration]. People should be allowed to buy Cars ONLY if they have "Car Parking Space available".

I am beginning to think that the traffic situation will soon push sale of City centric automatic Hatchbacks or automatic Compact SUVs further. Smaller Size, does have its own benefits.

I quite agree with what you said, give way for faster cars. But, some drivers tend to overtake and drag my speed down by not maintaining speed above me. The most irritating part for me is when someone overtake and brake immediately in front of me. Another interesting thing is a few of them just won't let you go. After you caught up with them, they tend to increase their speed just enough to stay ahead and brake unnecessary.
In such scenarios I just follow them with enough distance between but would not try to overtake. The beauty of driving a Ford ( Global Fiesta or my Freestyle) is they will be an easy prey once the car in front approach a congestion or a steeple parabolic curve. I have always noted that most cars these days on Indian roads could not keep their lane in a steep curve and brake themselves to reduce speed to negotiate the curve. That's where my cars shine and I just love that.

Thread Starter #135
Time for a latest Picture of my Car.
Car-00.JPG

i rarely get this view of my eye at Headlight level. Yes i am lazy.

I quite agree with what you said, give way for faster cars. But, some drivers tend to overtake and drag my speed down by not maintaining speed above me. The most irritating part for me is when someone overtake and brake immediately in front of me. Another interesting thing is a few of them just won't let you go. After you caught up with them, they tend to increase their speed just enough to stay ahead and brake unnecessary.
In such scenarios I just follow them with enough distance between but would not try to overtake. The beauty of driving a Ford ( Global Fiesta or my Freestyle) is they will be an easy prey once the car in front approach a congestion or a steeple parabolic curve. I have always noted that most cars these days on Indian roads could not keep their lane in a steep curve and brake themselves to reduce speed to negotiate the curve. That's where my cars shine and I just love that.
Faced ALL those bullying, when i had my Matiz. My Matiz was good cruising at 120-130 kph, but took eternity to reach 120 kph. i would go past biggies doing 100-110, they would overtake me and drop speed just to slow me down gradually to 70s / 80s. They would then accelerate leaving me behind to work speed; Innova Taxi drivers found it insulting to be overtaken by Matiz; they would draw parallel, would keep coming to left and push me to the edge of the road and then zoooooom away. Thankfully no such stuff happens to my Verna. But, even in Verna, whenever i stick to 70s - 80s speeds, sometimes some drivers overtake me and hold their position just ahead of me. Though THIS irritates me, it is in one way acceptable as compared to them driving beside me at my speed ; trouble for those behind [frustration] . I simply run away from all these guys [angel]

Ahhhh, you do own de 2011 Global Fiesta (NOT the demoted Fiesta Classic). One heck of a Sedan. Before i bought my Verna, i had a haaaaaaaard and looooooooong look at this Global Fiesta and felt that the Grey color interiors let down the Car. Also, price was too high; those looking for an alternate to Honda City went with Fluidic Verna and Rapid, than pick up de Fiesta. Had Ford priced it right, it could have made some inroads in India; Ford's mistake.

The issue is not with ride , most doesn't know art of taking curves[roll]
Funnily, i see it happening with 'Hatchbacks, Sedans and SUVs' known to have good handling. So, it is NOT lack of knowledge, but lack of attitude. Most people LIKE to MAINTAIN their speeds at Curves; for them, the Guy behind them will take care of them. So Morons decide to slip onto the next Lane (than wrest with their Brake - Steering - Throttle. Pssss Pssss, on winding roads, if no one is behind me within 50m, i tend to drive on a Straight Line thro multiple curves... the so called Racing Line. Fun it is.

Top Bottom