Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

Thread Starter #106
66,000 Kms Update

Did a 820km long "B'lore - Chennai - Nemili - Kanchi - B'lore" Trip on 18th and 19th November 2017. Left Home at 3:15 pm, halted thrice for "Coffee, Fuel top up and Dinner" and reached destination at Chennai at 9:00 PM. On Sunday, the 19-Nov-2017, left Chennai at 10:30 AM and reached Nemili in two hours. Then went to Kanchi for Temple visits. Left Kanchi after 6:30 PM and reached my Home at 11:30 PM.

Traffic / Toll Plaza Conditions:
B'lore City traffic was surprisingly less for a Saturday evening. Traffic on NH48, from "Hosur to Vellore to - Chennai" was less than normal. There are 7 Toll Plazas from B'lore to Chennai. In a long long time, I was crossing relatively FREE TollPlazas; ONLY 10 to 12 vehicles in regular Lanes and 0 to 5 vehicles in FasTag Lane. Wow.
I mentioned "potholes ridden, Kanchi to Chennai" NH in this thread, in Post # 74 (link here), in Oct 2016. Situation remains more or less same. I was on the look out for these potholes and also for drivers trying to dodge potholes. There was NO NEED to drastically change the driving direction, but, some were cutting across lanes. HOW can I blame those drivers for poor work done by NHAI or concerned authorities ??? I accommodated 6 such guys, diving into my path, but realised the hazard in doing so; I needed the guy behind me too to slow down, for MY safety. So I did the usual "Running Away" part. BTW, the Yokos did a very good job of taking on these potholes.

My Question to Regulars on "Kanchi-Chennai" NH:
Some of you COULD be lawyers. Why can't you challenge NHAI in Court, for collecting Toll for a "pothole ridden Road" ???

Irritating incidences:

1. During the onward journey, at Krishnagii, I was in left lane, lined up to take the "Left Turn for Chennai" into the Service Road. As I was about to enter the Gap, one white board Innova dived ahead from my Right and forced me into an emergency braking. While going past me, the left passenger was looking at me, though I felt "What for ? ", I just ignored him.
  2. Inside Ambur limits, I had stopped and was waiting for traffic to move. A TN Govt Bus was to my left and a mini goods vehicle was to my right. As I inched the Car ahead, a Biker entered the Gap between my Car and the Bus, but his Bike's Foot Rest got trapped in my front left wheel Cap. I hardly moved 2 feet, but, the bike was pulled by the wheel rotation, wheel Cap got damaged, Bike hit my Car with a "Thud" sound. I asked him to wait ahead, but he entered a side road and disappeared. Except the damage to the wheel cap, NOT EVEN a SCRATCH on my Verna. Thin Sheet metal would have resulted in some repair work.
  3. While returning, between Krishnagiri-Hosur, I was doing 100 kph and a White Rapid dived ahead of me; similar to the incidence in Post # 46 (link here). Again Emergency braking. It was racing with a Blue Figo. My wife said that "just a Couple, 60 to 65 year old" were inside the Rapid. My new found resolution kicked in and I just ignored the Rapid; didn't do any catching up business. Me remaining a good boy.
Toll Charges:
Used FasTag in all Tolls. Toll Charges for "Onward" was Rs. 395/- (for 7 Tolls) and for Return" was Rs. 305/- (for 6 Tolls - didn't use the E-City's Rs 45 Toll). At both "Sriperumpudur & Chennasamudram Tolls", I was automatically given discount for 24 Hour Journey period. Both are Rs 50, EACH, but on return I was charged ONLY Rs 30/- and Rs 25 respectively.

FE and Economics:

1. Spent Rs 3,000 on Diesel and the MID shows 5 bars (out of 12 bars) now. I can expect about 15 lit useable Diesel still in Tank (Rs.61.45 / Lit x 15 Lit = Rs 920). So, ~ Rs 2100/- for 820 km was spent on Fuel; approx Rs 2.5 per km running cost.
  2. MID declared FE : 21 kpl in the onward journey and 19.4 kpl in the return journey.
  3. My Home-Office commute is just 3+ km. For distances traveled yesterday and today morning, i.e., just an additional 10 km, the FE has come down to 19.1 kpl today morning. Me laughing.

For Post 3.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ END of Travelogue +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Its highly tinny too.Kerb wt, of petrol one is 1010 kgs only.In comparison my 2010 ritz vxi was 1030 kgs.And it was soo much shorter in length in comparison to full sedan length ciaz.
In the mad race to give fuel economy maruti is damn concerned about the build quality of their cars. And baleno upped the game further. O god!!
Me giggling. I found out that Maruti has mentioned ONLY the Gross Vehicle Weight for Ciaz (1490 kg - link here), and the popular Swift (1415 kg - link here). However, BOTH "Kerb weight and GVW" are given for S-Cross (1240 kg & 1670 - link here) and Baleno (890 kg & 1340 kg - link here).
I'm keeping my mouth SHUT on this [;)]

@ Mods: Multi-quote Option is NOT available in "TAI Smartphone Mode". Otherwise I would have replied to mayankdixit in the morning. I am not sure if it is a problem in my phone. Pls look into it.

Thread Starter #107
Visit to Kala Bhairavar Temple, Adhiyaman Kottai, near Dharmapuri, TN

A surprise plan developed and we visited Kala Bhairavar Temple (map link and Temple website link), Adhiyaman Kottai, on 3rd Dec 2017. This is one of the TWO Temples in India, where "Kala Bhairavar" is the Main Deity. This was my first time visit to this Temple. Considering typical Temples in TN, this is a small Temple. During Rahu kala Pooja time (b/w 4:30 pm & 6:30 pm on Sunday), there was a decent crowd of 500-700 people. Around Temple, lot of Vendors sell Pooja items and they were NOT after Money. Temples inner Doors were closed for performing Pooja, none was allowed in, and we joined the static queue at 4:40 PM. Doors were opened at 5:30 pm for Dharshan. Crowd management was excellent, and ALL those who joined the Queue by 5:15 PM were able to have a Dharshan before 6 PM. Temple remained open even after that. Coming Sunday (10-Dec-2017) is going to be a more auspicious day for offering prayers there, and I was told the crowd would be much much more; could be 10,000 or even more. Note-1 : There is a 50+ Car, 'Parking Lot' adjacent to the Temple. This temple is quite popular; I saw many vehicles from KA, AP, PY and of course TN.

Way to Temple:
(A) If you are traveling from Salem, after you pass "Thoppur Toll" you will cross "Pagalahalli and Gengalapuram"; then you have to take right at Seshampatti to join SH-17. Temple is about 3km from here.
(B) If you are traveling from Krishnagiri to the Temple, a "Sign Board" would invite you to go thro' Dharmapuri. IGNORE it and continue on NH 44. Then, take left near this spot (link) before a Flyover. Go below the flyover, keep Left and join the SH 17. This Road is straight and good. The Temple is to the left within 3.5km, from the Flyover. Note-2 : After passing Dharmapuri, Google Maps would suggest you to go thro a 1.5 km long narrow and broken road, leading straight in front of the Temple. I took this stretch, but would prefer to avoid it.

About the Drive: For a Sunday afternoon, B'lore traffic was HEAVY, right from my Residence. Just before the E-City elevated Road, the approach to 'the road below' was devoid of the usual Chock. I took it and it paid off. The middle lane was FREE and helped me cross the 10 km stretch within 14 minutes. At the end, I found a HUGE rush at the Toll Plaza. Got a 'Smart Boy' certificate from Wify. Checked the MID and found an Avg FE of 16+ kpl over the 33km distance from my home till this point.

Drive from here up to the Attibelle Toll was moderate to fast.

From Attibelle Toll, till I crossed Hosur, the traffic was its usual chaotic self.

After that, the Highway traffic became moderate. Sky was cloudy and I modulated speeds between 80 and 120 and enjoyed a pleasant and relaxed drive.

For the records, I crossed "Shanti Nagar Bus Stand" by 2:15 PM and the 140 km distance to the Temple took 2 hours to complete.

Started the return journey at 6:30 PM, halted at Chennai Silks, Hosur for shopping-cum-Dinner and reached home by 11 PM.

The Scary Moment: 4-6 km away from Hosur, I was following a Scorpio on the right most lane. We were trying to overtake a Bus. We managed to go clear of the bus and found that few two wheelers were leading the bus (on the Middle Lane). As they were scattered and it was not an ideal condition, I was unable to move to the Middle Lane. I maintained safe distance from the Scorpio and divided my attention to the front and onto the 2 wheelers to my left; was searching for an opening, basically. I noticed the Scorpio was urgently diving to its left. I now saw "few Orange Traffic Cones, long ribbon, a man waving hands frantically and an immobile mini truck" smack ahead of me, on the same Right Lane. Nowhere to go, I just slammed the brakes. Speed was 60 to 70ish. Without any Drama, Verna came to a halt in a Straight Line. I was lucky and the guy behind me too stopped in time. Took me few seconds to calm down, before I drove on --- "Had the 2 wheelers were on the left most lane or had the man was waving a Red Flag or had they towed the truck away", this drama would not have happened. But then, this is HOW accidents do happen, don't they ??? BTW, two mechanics were working on the mini-truck. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Mileage: For a total distance of 340 km, I got an FE of 20.1 kpl, with AC ON 100%. Out of this, 66 km were in City traffic.

Odo.jpg

I feel, I am seeing the face of a monkey, like the ones in the movie Planet of Apes.

Thread Starter #108
66666 on the Odo

Went to Sri Kala Bhairavar Temple for the 2nd and 3rd times on 10th and 17th Dec 2017.

================== Part A ==================

On 10th, within 2 kms of leaving my home, my Car completed 66,666 kms. For one who covered only 39,000 odd km in 12.5 loooooong Yrs, driving a Matiz, this was Special. I patiently waited for this moment and clicked a Photo. Pic below:

Odo at 66666.jpg

As compared to my drive on Sunday, the 3rd Dec, B'lore traffic was extremely low on Sunday the 10th; it being the Ashtami day, perhaps people preferred to by at home; don't know. I noticed a Q7 with Jharkhand number plate climbing on to the Elevated Expresway, as I took road below it. Surprise surprise, it caught with me AFTER the Electronic City Toll Plaza. Meaning, traffic below the flyover was soooooo less and I could very conveniently cross the Plaza, before the Q7. It went ahead but I caught up with it at Attibelle Toll again. Thanks to FasTag Lane, I went out first royally, while the Q7 was still in another Queue [lol]

After this point, traffic on the Highways was also less than usual. But, there was a huge rush at the Temple. I made a separate thread in TAI, about the Special Pooja at the Temple (link).

Driving Back to B’lore : Though time was nearing 3 AM, "Food, Coffee, Tea, etc" were available in the shops around the Temple. After a hot Tea, we started the return trip at 2:55 AM. Family instantly went to sleep. Drive to Krishnagiri was sort of boring and I kept varying the speed, so as NOT to doze of. Krishnagiri Toll Plaza wore a sleepy look and it took just a minute to pass.

Of ALL my drives between "Krishnagiri and Hosur", I enjoyed THIS particular drive very much, as Pvt Car Owners were sleeping at homes. Only at three steep inclines, trucks/buses occupied the entire width of the 3-Lanes, but, it was still easy to get past them.

I stopped little before Hosur for another Tea. Sipping tea, I saw so many intercity buses from "KSRTC, KPN, SRS etc", go past. They were doing 100 to 110 kph (I earlier overtook them); but "their huge size and the sound of air they displaced" made it bit threatening (for a stationary observer). At least I felt so. During this tea break, my Wife was looking at me one moment and fast asleep another. Funny part was, she would have looked at me at least 20 times, but couldn't recall the Halt [:)]

When I reachedAttibelle Toll Plaza, at 4 AM,I saw hectic activity there, in stark contrast to K'giri Toll; took me slightly more than 10 minutes to Pass thro’ the FasTag Lane. Other Lanes were messy. As B’lore was sound asleep, I was able to reach my North B’lore residence by 5:05 AM. At that early hour, and in the Cold climate of B'lore, I had to Prise my family out of the Car. When both of them fell onto the Bed, I too fell down and slept. Went to Office by 9:30; late by an hour and a half.

Caution: In my opinion, morning 2:30 to 4:00 is the toughest time to drive. Stop and have a shut eye, if you feel sleepy. No amount of Tea/Coffee will keep you awake. But, if you are awake, THIS is the best time to drive; ALL those “Smart Alec” Pvt Car Drivers are off the road and the “experienced Truck/Bus Drivers” don't give trouble AT THIS TIME of the day. Nevertheless keep an eye on the Rear View Mirror. As I had some sleep during the Pooja, I didn’t have a Problem.

================== Part B ==================

3rd Visit: On 17th Dec, wife wanted to go to Kala Bhairavar Temple the 3rd time and I duly complied. This time, we left home after 2:30 PM and reached the Temple just 10 minutes before 6. Crowd was less than what I saw on 3rd Dec. We had a satisfying Dharshan by 7:30PM. Quickly started from there, and reached home by 11 PM, for Dinner at Home. The drives on 10th and 17th Dec were pretty smooth.

After Krishnagiri, the NH is just 2+2 Lanes and it can get suffocating sometimes, with many vehicles bunching together. On 17th, one driver of a 'Red Hyundai Xcent with TN registration' started behaving like "the Smartest Alec in the world". I ignored him and let him have his moments. While tackling a group of parallel trucks, this 30-ish fellow was also parallel to me and was trying to enter the Right Most Lane, where I was. He came too close to my Car, when there was space availbel to his Left. It made me highly uncomfortable. I waited. Luckily the Gap opened on the Left and the Xcent went ahead.

I engaged the 4th Gear, went past the trucks and drew parallel on to his Left. I turned, looked at him, smiled .... and gave a tap on the A-pedal.

The Red Xcent was left behind forever. I love my run-away Car.

Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 60,000+ Kms Update

Great thread on the Hyundai Verna. Very informative. Cannot agree more with you on the Hyundai diesel engine. It is a beast and easily the best diesel engine in our country.

Question: Did you get an under-body protection for the Hyundai Verna?

Thread Starter #110

Great thread on the Hyundai Verna. Very informative. Cannot agree more with you on the Hyundai diesel engine. It is a beast and easily the best diesel engine in our country.

Question: Did you get an under-body protection for the Hyundai Verna?

Thank you. The Fun you get in a 1.8 lit Petrol engine (in Yr 2012), in a segment above, can be had with Verna's diesel. Also, I have to give it to A$$; I kept gribing about suspension and they did something. The car became a Bindass Car.

Except 3M underbody coating, didn't do any. I am not sure if that '3M coating did improve anything'. But, my more knowledgeable Jr Colleague vouches for it. He's always right.

Thread Starter #111

Car is nearing 68,000 km and running perfectly fine. Just a micro update.

On 14th Jan, wify wanted one more trip to "Sri Kala Bhairavar Temple", Adhiyaman Kottai and I promptly complied; I think these "11th hour small-trips" wouldn't be happening had I bought a Petrol Car. During the trip, I found that FasTag readers were installed in ALL the lanes of "Attibele and Krishnagiri Toll Plazas"; checked and found that they were indeed working in ALL lanes. THUMBS UP to this initiative. During onward journey, found a vendor selling tender coconuts little before Krishnagiri Toll. As they were very tasty and at just Rs 25 (Rs 10 less than North Bangalore price), loaded Ten of them in the Boot. Rs. 130 recovered from Trip expenses [;)]

This time crowd was less at the Temple, as people preferred to be at home for the next day's Pongal / Makar Sankranti Festival. We had an unhurried and satisfying Dharshan and left early.

Just before exiting Adhiyaman Kottai, found thick and loooong Black Color sugar-canes, sold on the roadside; each was only Rs 35. Though just Rs 5 cheaper than B'lore price, they were THICK. Enjoyed them right there; another load went inside the Boot.

This 4th trip was done in a very relaxed manner at 80-ish kph and returned a mileage of 22.6 kpl (tankful to tankful method). BTW, Diesel is cheaper by Rs. 1.5 or so, in B'lore than in TN (may be due to the impending Assy Elections) and I topped up near my residence. Earlier fuel was cheaper in TN than in KA and I used to top up at the Pump at A2B, Chinnar. Nowadays, stopping at A2B only for Coffee and Food.

----------------------XXX------------------

Last Monday, heard a rattling sound from the front passenger side, while on the move. Asked Wify to check and she inspected casually and said everything was OK. As we reached home by that time, I just ignored. Same repeated the next day while going to office. I stopped the car and found a load of small small items in the "glove compartment". Grrrrrr ... I think, left to her, my Wify will keep the Dressing Table too in the Car. Removed them, but still the irritating sound continued; I drove on. Later the day, I dug around and found "Car's Audio Remote" lying at the bottom of the Front Left Door's Water Bottle space. "AND, She said everything was OK" [frustration]

Once I removed it, it is back to "Peace... Inner Peace" times.

Thread Starter #112
70,000 Km Service

Salient Points:

• Service Cost for 70,000 km was Rs 14,100/-
  • Car was picked up from my Office around 9:30 am and returned to my home by 6:30 pm.
What was done ? Regular Service with Oil Change, Air Filter, AC Cleaning, Engine Decarb, replacing front Brake Pads and Wiper Blade, "Wheel Rotation, WB, WA", Consumables, blah blah blah.

Why done 160 km early ? Both Trident & Blue Hyundai were running Service Camps (with discount). I used it and sent my Car for 70K km Paid Service to Trident, Yeshwantpur. As usual they were very professional.

Copies of Service Bills:
1. Material:
70K Service Bill Pg 1.jpg

2. Labor Charge:
70K Service Bill Pg 2.jpg
The Panel Protection work done on the Door Pads, as told by the SA was "there are three holes in the Door for draining; the Pads are opened and the Door frame is cleaned to ensure holes are not blocked". He said something about work done on Roof, but I was not convinced and chose to forgot.

Am I Happy with Service ? YES. No Complaints.

Titbit: This 70,000 km was achieved in 5 years and 3 months. A good Economist would say "too long a period to recover the initial investment on a Diesel Engine". Very True. But, having this Economical Diesel Engine with outright Power has resulted in this many kilometers, for one who works 6 days a week and resides within 3km of Office. Had I gone for Petrol (I think it was cheaper by a lakh plus), I most likely would NOT have done more than 40 to 50,000 km. But, that extra Rs. 1 Lakh, resulted in extra 20-30,000 FUN kilometers. I don't think Finance has a Tool or App to measure THAT pleasure [angel]

Last edited:
Dear friends,
I have read all review and thread about hyundai verna petrol 1.4 vtvt experience and right now i am in state to decide to go for new next gen verna petrol 1.4ex and 1.6 sx. On paper verna looks far ahead from compitition in comparison of price to feature and power.
I read all other site reviews but all are verna crdi diesel mostly and recommond verna diesel is better than petrol.
As my running not much to look for diesel hardly 700-800km/month. Also diesel verna is almost 1.5 to 2 lack costly than petrol one. So as budget is tight i have considered 1.4 ex model or 1.6 sx model as there is hardly 70k difference between these model, my mind is saying go for 1.6 petrol.
But after looking all reviews of FE which is mostly 10kmpl in city and 14kmpl in highway looks very less to me.
My plan to counter this is to go for cng fitting by showroom only as kundan hyundai SA is giving cng fitting in warranty for 55k (initially quote 65k) and saying there is no problem of company warranty it will not laps.
Where as some dealer Sanjay saying it was not good to fit cng.
So considering this please suggest me whether to go fir this or not.
And will i prefere 1.4 or 1.6 as i am getting almost 35k discount on both by hyundai current offer.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Dear friends,
I have read all review and thread about hyundai verna petrol 1.4 vtvt experience and right now i am in state to decide to go for new next gen verna petrol 1.4ex and 1.6 sx. On paper verna looks far ahead from compitition in comparison of price to feature and power.
I read all other site reviews but all are verna crdi diesel mostly and recommond verna diesel is better than petrol.
As my running not much to look for diesel hardly 700-800km/month. Also diesel verna is almost 1.5 to 2 lack costly than petrol one. So as budget is tight i have considered 1.4 ex model or 1.6 sx model as there is hardly 70k difference between these model, my mind is saying go for 1.6 petrol.
But after looking all reviews of FE which is mostly 10kmpl in city and 14kmpl in highway looks very less to me.
My plan to counter this is to go for cng fitting by showroom only as kundan hyundai SA is giving cng fitting in warranty for 55k (initially quote 65k) and saying there is no problem of company warranty it will not laps.
And will i prefere 1.4 or 1.6 as i am getting almost 35k discount on both by hyundai current offer.
If you are getting Verna, Get the Diesel, period.

I never understood the concept of buying a luxury car and compromising/ messing it with a CNG kit. If you want to save money, Buy a cheap used maruti and run it on Gas. Keep verna for luxury use.

Thread Starter #115
On 29th July, we had a mini trip covering more than 550 km. My daughter drove during the onward trip (Link) and I took over for the return trip. When night fell, it started raining heavily. I dropped speed to 60 ish, yet, at one point, there were few scary seconds.

There were two trucks on the Left Lane, one truck on the Right Lane and a mini truck at about 50-60 m ahead on the Middle Lane. All four vehicles were perhaps doing around 40 kph. I entered between the two trucks and started overtaking. IMMEDIATELY my windscreen got covered in muddy stagnant water; it was getting splashed by the rear tyre of the truck to my Right. Just before I was fully blinded, I could make out brake lights coming from the Left and ahead. I did NOT have time to GLANCE at the IRVM, and started applying brake. I didn't slam the brakes, as I knew there was nothing IMMEDIATELY ahead of me and that I had another 3-4 seconds before hitting the mini truck ahead, in case he stopped completely. I kept sounding my Horn, so that the trucks on the left or right didn't cut in front. I also kept hoping that I was NOT rear ended.

The splashing continued for two to three seconds while my speed kept dropping and dropping; I did not STOP fully, but kept moving forward slowly while trying to see ahead. Luckily I did not collide with anyone and no one rear ended me. Within a second, I found myself to be still inching forward, but CLEAR and SAFE.

My daughter asked, "Dad, what did just happen there?". I didn't have an immediate answer; I thought about it and got this answer : The mini truck drove into "a splash of water" coming from across the median and braked. The truck to my Right too got into a splash. I got water from the truck's tyre and also from across the median (once the truck went past me). As splashing from across the median was happening behind me too, traffic there had slowed and no one was there to rear end me. Phew...

My question to TAI Members : It was an EMERGENCY situation. Should I have slammed the brake in-spite of road being completely wet (because there is ABS in the Car)??? Please chip in.

Dear friends,

Sorry, I am very late to reply; though member bhvm replied, I would like to add. Buying a High End Car and installing LPG/CNG Kit, "for the sake of Environment" is pretty Cool. But, if it is done to save on Fuel cost ... Ummmmm, I feel it is a childish attempt to show off Status. Sorry, this is my personal view.

Luxury Cars means heavier vehicles and you need a bigger CC engine to move that weight. Fuel efficiency is NOT THAT seriously considered. If one wants a bigger Sedan running on LPG/CNG Kit, best is to buy a second "Honda City, Verna or Accord or Corolla" and fit an APPROVED LPG/CNG Kit; don't tinker with a brand new Car's engine.

While upgrading Financially to buy a car costing Rs.10 Lakhs and above, the buyer HAS to upgrade his mind too, to fit into the role. If one still thinks about FE, better is to buy a Diesel; bulk expenditure one time, but better FE daily. Good Luck.

What you did was a risky thing,you could have tried applying brake as pumping(Not recommended always,as can damage ABS).In such cases ,the pumping,will make all tyres to lock up and release ,and lock up and release with respect to you pumping.Advantage ,the brake force is controlled by yourself rather than Brake System of the car(In case of ABS+EBD cars,the force is controlled uniformily by its sensors,but under rough road conditions or wet areas ,high chances of ABS sensors misinterpreting the contact surfaces )
This error is mainly due to tyre thread pattern,tyre pressure,brake pad condition etc.(All handling parameter includes)

If you got confused with this ,do reply,i will try to elaborate in another post.

bhvm

Honoured Member
What you did was a risky thing,you could have tried applying brake as pumping(Not recommended always,as can damage ABS).In such cases ,the pumping,will make all tyres to lock up and release ,and lock up and release with respect to you pumping.Advantage ,the brake force is controlled by yourself rather than Brake System of the car(In case of ABS+EBD cars,the force is controlled uniformily by its sensors,but under rough road conditions or wet areas ,high chances of ABS sensors misinterpreting the contact surfaces )
This error is mainly due to tyre thread pattern,tyre pressure,brake pad condition etc.(All handling parameter includes)

If you got confused with this ,do reply,i will try to elaborate in another post.
Please elaborate. I am interested at looking at this from a different perspective.

There were two trucks on the Left Lane, one truck on the Right Lane and a mini truck at about 50-60 m ahead on the Middle Lane. All four vehicles were perhaps doing around 40 kph. I entered between the two trucks and started overtaking. IMMEDIATELY my windscreen got covered in muddy stagnant water; it was getting splashed by the rear tyre of the truck to my Right. Just before I was fully blinded, I could make out brake lights coming from the Left and ahead. I did NOT have time to GLANCE at the IRVM, and started applying brake. I didn't slam the brakes, as I knew there was nothing IMMEDIATELY ahead of me and that I had another 3-4 seconds before hitting the mini truck ahead, in case he stopped completely. I kept sounding my Horn, so that the trucks on the left or right didn't cut in front. I also kept hoping that I was NOT rear ended.

My question to TAI Members : It was an EMERGENCY situation. Should I have slammed the brake in-spite of road being completely wet (because there is ABS in the Car)??? Please chip in.

Hmm that was scary.
Small sedans get covered in water/Dust immediately due to lower hood and windshield. one of the heart to head explanation that we SUV-lovers have ready when paying for fuel (4500 For a full tank) or high maintenance. Well. Well. well...[embarass]

From my perspective of Imagining this (Imagined thrice), You did the right thing. When hitting water puddle or dripping wet roads, Your Steering feedback and Braking changes. Even if your car has ABS, one cannot predict how car will react. And you for the instance had trucks on both of your sides, so you could NOT afford even a slight silde or twist.
Slamming the brakes MIGHT"ve caused a spin or knee jerk steering reaction pointing towards doom. So taking it slow and gentle was the right thing to do.

Although I would not choose to overtake between a tunnel of trucks, with more truck just 50m ahed. I might have changed that decision not to enter and would never had this experience. Although I do not know your Entry speed and delta between your and truck speed, Overtakes need 3~4 sec and even at full revs would not have left proper safety margin.

Thread Starter #118
Sorry guys, for my late response. I was foot-loosing in my hometown.

I was told "not to modulate the Brake PEDAL", when I took delivery of the car in 2012. If you can please elaborate the method, I will try it in normal times. An additional option is always welcome.

Please elaborate. I am interested at looking at this from a different perspective.

Hmm that was scary.
Small sedans get covered in water/Dust immediately due to lower hood and windshield. one of the heart to head explanation that we SUV-lovers have ready when paying for fuel (4500 For a full tank) or high maintenance. Well. Well. well...[embarass]

From my perspective of Imagining this (Imagined thrice), You did the right thing. When hitting water puddle or dripping wet roads, Your Steering feedback and Braking changes. Even if your car has ABS, one cannot predict how car will react. And you for the instance had trucks on both of your sides, so you could NOT afford even a slight silde or twist.
Slamming the brakes MIGHT"ve caused a spin or knee jerk steering reaction pointing towards doom. So taking it slow and gentle was the right thing to do.

Although I would not choose to overtake between a tunnel of trucks, with more truck just 50m ahed. I might have changed that decision not to enter and would never had this experience. Although I do not know your Entry speed and delta between your and truck speed, Overtakes need 3~4 sec and even at full revs would not have left proper safety margin.
Me needing Gelusil [cry] , due to your hints on SUVs. You are right, what I did was sort of stupidity. I joined behind them, assessed and dived to overtake. I should have waited for at least 5-10 seconds, considering the heavy rains and the possibility of stagnant water towards the Median. My mistake... I WILL REMEMBER THOSE nasty forever.

On my entry speed: I am tuned to an entry speed of "at least 20 kph more than the vehicle I overtake", as I gain 5.5 meters per second (or more). Had ALL the trucks maintained their speed, I would have passed the 11m long truck in 2 seconds and still have 40m to the mini-truck on the middle lane. 40m gives about 6-8 seconds to asses the situation. All these thoughts flashed within a micro second, and I committed to overtake. Still, with such a heavy rain, I was unable to spot what was happening well ahead. I shouldn't have done that.

Me happy that you went over the events in your mind [clap]. THAT is the reason for sharing my experience in TAI. It could be an eye opener for beginners on Highways.

One thing all of us need to realise is the technology our car has and Indian road is totally opposite.
ABS -I think i don't need to elaborate on its function .
But a matter of concern is ,it is developed for well tarred or levelled roads .So when one goes on an uneven surface or surface which isn't planar (maybe due to gutters,contact angle difference if there's medium inbetween tyre and road -water,oil etc) then ABS fails.
This failure is by the vehicle won't stop as you expect /vehicle skids off(In case of one with Traction control ,it again assures this ,for Traction control equipped vehicles ,the chance of ABS failing like this is minimised)

Please don't risk this-Just a demo for ABS failure.

Take the car in a rumble strip (one having about sufficient height to make you skid in scooter ),in that strip, proceed in a speed of 40-60 and apply brake when the tyre contacts the rumble ,the chances for immediate braking or chances for vehicle to stop as expected is less.-I have tried this in Swift ZXI,Verna VTVT SX(O).You can here sensor screech as well as tyre screech.(Both noises are different ,sensor screech is like a click sound heard instantaneously ,while tyre screech i think you guys know)
I have even encountered same situation in rough patches of roads when vehicle is in 50-80 range and needs to be slowed down.

Explanation- The sensor sometimes gets confused when its an uneven road.

The method of pumping and braking is normally followed in old cars having Liner brake system(Ambassador etc),there we pump and brake.In cars from 2000-its equipped with power brake ,thereby braking is assisted by hydraulics-electronics(Turn off the car and try braking,you need to push hard the pedal ,as it becomes pure hydraulics).So in such situation when you pump and brake ,the sensors and braking system as it encounters 2 braking simultaneously ,this error is not encountered.

As Mr.Vijay told ,Your advisor was right and perfect ,modern cars shouldn't be pumped and brakes as it damages both the braking system as well as basic element ,the brake discs.But in such encounters ,just keep in mind when you expect a braking in uneven patch or extreme slippery conditions.

Thread Starter #120
Too Scary incidence

Summary : I found fuel leakage from my Car late in the evening. I was going out of station the next day morning on an important office work; program can’t be canceled. I also could NOT leave a Car with fuel leak at home and risk everyone in the Apt. Called Hyundai Roadside Assistance (HRsA). Car went to Trident Yeshwantpur at night. While I was out of B’lore, Trident guys repaired it and sent the car to my home by 3pm the next day. Problem sorted out within 24 Hrs. Cost ? Less than Rs 800/-

-------------------------------------- Part-1 : Problem and Solution --------------------------------

Main : On this Monday, the 24th, I left Office after 6 pm. On the way to home, a nice biker alerted me of fuel leakage. Parked the Car on the side and inspected. All I saw was some dark patches on the underbelly, indicating possibility of some damage near Fuel Tank, but there was NO visible dripping of fuel. There was NO TRAIL of any leakage behind car on that road which was slopping DOWN. Yet, I was worried. After some considerations, drove home… I took a serious risk, there; I would say outright STUPID.

After parking the Car, I FOUND a TRAIL of Fuel drops behind the Car. The Trail went back ALL the way to the Junction with the Main Road, about 250 m away. Whenever there was some ‘up slope’, there were drops. I explained to our Apt Secuity and asked him to be cautious. I called the SA at Trident Yeshwantpur (Mr. Immanuel Raj). After listening, he advised me to call HRsA immediately. Time-wise data for the Statistical minded below:

• 6:45 pm : I called them (1800 102 4645 / 0124-2564645).
  • 7:08 pm : HRsA called and we decided that Car will go to Trident Yeshwantpur.
  • 7:23 pm : I called HRsA to know about Tow truck
  • 7:34 pm : Tow truck Driver Called me to conform my Address
  • 8:00 pm : I mustered strength to go near my Car and found out what was wrong. See these two Pics :
Damage-1.jpg

Damage-2.jpg

• 8:15 pm : Tow truck (not one with low-bed) arrived at my home.
  • 8:30 pm : Loading and securing of Car completed. The truck bed slid back and made a ramp. As my car was pulled up the ramp thro a motorised Winch , about 3-5 Lit Diesel started gushing out from below under the Car. Damn Terrifying :eek:
Once loaded, to me my Verna looked grumpy :-( as it was NOT on own power.
On Tow.jpg

• 8:43 pm : After completing Paper work, the truck went. The driver kept telling me NOT to Worry. Very nice Guy, the driver is. Called Mr. Immanuel Raj and he too gave me more confidence.
  • After that I didn't even bother to check if my car reached Trident Service.
Happy Ending:
On Tuesday, the 25th, I called Trident around 9:30am, from Airport. After inspection, Mr.Madhukar, SA there, confirmed me that the problem was ONLY due to a damaged “Pipe” and everything else was OK in the underbelly. He called me in the afternoon to confirm that the Job was completed. I requested him to send the car to my residence and he took care of that too. Car was brought to my home and the bill amount (Rs. 526) plus driver charge were collected.

Bill.jpg

ALL these happened when I was out of B’lore. Well done Hyundai Roadside Assistance, well done Mr. Immanuel Raj and Mr.Madhukar at Trident, Yeshwantpur. Thanks to you ALL, I could concentrate on my Official Work. [clap]

AND, you Trident guys... you did NOT know what I figured out (covered below), yet, you did NOT attempt to exploit me (the way some Service Centers of some European Cars do) Big salute to ALL those concerned, in cultivating these moral values.

-------------------------------------- Part-2 : ANALYSIS --------------------------------

Reason for the Problem: If you see the left bottom of the first photo in this post, you would spot small black color pieces lying on the floor. This is my Car's regular parking place in my Apt. I guess rat bit the pipe. That means the pipe is made of PLASTIC. WHAT ? WHY would Hyundai make such an important pipe out of PLASTIC ?? It is a bloody Safety Hazard [frustration] ... Reading this, Hyundai ???

When was Fuel Leaking: Luckily (?!?) Apt Floor was NOT cleaned that day and that made this analysis easy. As the Apt floor was devoid of any "fuel or oil patches", it is safe to assume that Diesel was NOT present in the pipe, when car was stationary. Even on move, the car didn't leave patches continuously; patches were seen ONLY when the road had UP Slopes. That means, Diesel entered the pipe only on UP inclines. I don't know if this logic is right.

BUT, what is more scary is, Diesel WAS LEAKING as I drove to office in the morning... I was driving a potential fire hazard... OMG... Gods must have some special liking for me (and those driving around my Verna en route to my Office that day), I guess :-) :-) :-)

Last edited:

Top Bottom