Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 (2012) CRDi EX: 81,000+ Kms

Thread Starter #31
Speedo GONE due to Rat bite

Prillim Work:
The trip to Thirukadaiyur (near Karaikkal), the first stop of a 1,100 + km round trip, was supposed to commence by 2PM on 2nd Jan 2015, so as to reach destination before midnight. Did the wheel rotation, balancing and alignment one day earlier at a nearby place. They adjusted Toe but showed me that Camber was bad (- 1° 48’ for left and - 0° 47’ for right). I was cautioned about uneven wheel wear and was told to visit Hyundai Service ASAP. They even showed edge of inner tyre as proof. The reference they took (after consulting the sales rep for their m/c) belonged to “Verna-2006 to now”. That prompted me to address this Camber issue after the trip.

RAT BITES:
Next day morning as I was driving to office, noticed that the steering offered NO resistance, speedometer not working and the car was jerking whenever I eased on the throttle. Remembered to contact Trident Hyundai, Yeshwantpur, BLR a little before noon. Explained car's condition and the planned Journey to Service Advisor Mr.A.Lokesh (0 98445 25589); he said it could be due to “rat bite” and strongly advised me to visit them immediately. I could reach them around 2:30PM. The SA looked into the bonnet, and confirmed that it was indeed Rat Bite and jokingly mentioned “normally people complain about heavy steering due to rat bite”. He even remembered undertaking the 2nd free Service of my car way back.

SUPER FAST SERVICE:
Knowing the circumstances, car was given special attention by Mr.Lokesh and his team. A young mechanic quickly started removing Battery and other modules. The SA himself kept visiting the car to check on the progress. In due course, a SINGLE WIRE was found to be cut and patched up followed by some scanning and everything was made fine. Just 50 minutes to locate and rectify a problem, with many mechanics still on leave and when I was in a hurry. THAT, I would say is [clap] brilliant.

Thanks to Mr.Lokesh and his team, the 2.5 day's program did not get compressed to 2 days and I managed to reach my destination 12:30AM the following day.

COST:
Finally I was presented a bill for - - - - - - - just Rs. 197. How come many believe that Maintaining a Hyundai is costly? Kudos to Trident and Hyundai also.

Since it is about cost and maintenance (OMG, why am I writing this) Avg. mileage shown on MID was 20.8 kpl at the end of the 340 km leg from A2B, Chinnar (Hosur) to Destination.

SHOW TIME:
One.jpg
Two.jpg

QUESTION:
Dear Members, any good suggestions to prevent this RAT BITE in future.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi EX: 30,000 Kms Update

that's good to know that it was a low cost repair [:)]

anyways , what did the adviser say about the steering getting hard after rat bites ? i took my car 3 days back and found the steering to be hard than usual , walked out to check if the tyres were properly inflated. they were. i thought it has to do something with the cold weather.

will drive the car and will update if the steering's hard or normal.

My car has developed a strange rattle from the Automatic climate control sensor. Any other verna owner having the same issue ? The rattle is present at all speeds and its is VERY ANNOYING. The service center says its not advisable to fix it because they have to take the whole dashboard out and fix it again which might develop more rattles [sad]

Re: Speedo GONE due to Rat bite

Prillim Work:
The trip to Thirukadaiyur (near Karaikkal), the first stop of a 1,100 + km round trip, was supposed to commence by 2PM on 2nd Jan 2015, so as to reach destination before midnight. Did the wheel rotation, balancing and alignment one day earlier at a nearby place. They adjusted Toe but showed me that Camber was bad (- 1° 48’ for left and - 0° 47’ for right). I was cautioned about uneven wheel wear and was told to visit Hyundai Service ASAP. They even showed edge of inner tyre as proof. The reference they took (after consulting the sales rep for their m/c) belonged to “Verna-2006 to now”. That prompted me to address this Camber issue after the trip.

RAT BITES:
Next day morning as I was driving to office, noticed that the steering offered NO resistance, speedometer not working and the car was jerking whenever I eased on the throttle. Remembered to contact Trident Hyundai, Yeshwantpur, BLR a little before noon. Explained car's condition and the planned Journey to Service Advisor Mr.A.Lokesh (0 98445 25589); he said it could be due to “rat bite” and strongly advised me to visit them immediately. I could reach them around 2:30PM. The SA looked into the bonnet, and confirmed that it was indeed Rat Bite and jokingly mentioned “normally people complain about heavy steering due to rat bite”. He even remembered undertaking the 2nd free Service of my car way back.

SUPER FAST SERVICE:
Knowing the circumstances, car was given special attention by Mr.Lokesh and his team. A young mechanic quickly started removing Battery and other modules. The SA himself kept visiting the car to check on the progress. In due course, a SINGLE WIRE was found to be cut and patched up followed by some scanning and everything was made fine. Just 50 minutes to locate and rectify a problem, with many mechanics still on leave and when I was in a hurry. THAT, I would say is [clap] brilliant.

Thanks to Mr.Lokesh and his team, the 2.5 day's program did not get compressed to 2 days and I managed to reach my destination 12:30AM the following day.

COST:
Finally I was presented a bill for - - - - - - - just Rs. 197. How come many believe that Maintaining a Hyundai is costly? Kudos to Trident and Hyundai also.

Since it is about cost and maintenance (OMG, why am I writing this) Avg. mileage shown on MID was 20.8 kpl at the end of the 340 km leg from A2B, Chinnar (Hosur) to Destination.

SHOW TIME:
View attachment 158086
View attachment 158087

QUESTION:
Dear Members, any good suggestions to prevent this RAT BITE in future.
Hyundai's are moderate in prices sir.It depends on the quality of service from 1000-Its Lifetime running kms.
My friend was giving in one of the ASS in trivandrum,he then changed to one of the other ASS here itself.Within 5k,steering issues cropped up.
I am not blaming the 2nd ASS,it can be due to part swap else the part has lost its durability.
Its great that you have a nice ASS in your place.[:)]

@vijay_968 , To control rodent issues I ultimately had to keep an annual maintenance contract with a pest control company for six months. They kept some sort of sticky board with an eatable under the car and around. The rats got stuck to it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36

that's good to know that it was a low cost repair [:)]

anyways , what did the adviser say about the steering getting hard after rat bites ? ...
This being Electric Power Steering, a crucial wire might not carry signal from a sensor to the ECU. The ECU might conclude that speed could be more (than reported by rpm) and decide to weigh up the steering. In my case it thought the car was in parking and made the steering feather light.

My car has developed a strange rattle from the Automatic climate control sensor. Any other verna owner having the same issue ? The rattle is present at all speeds and its is VERY ANNOYING. The service center says its not advisable to fix it because they have to take the whole dashboard out and fix it again which might develop more rattles [sad]
It's difficult to accept the idiotic logic (like, fixing would increase problem), as given by the Chennai A$$. I feel best is to escalate to Hyundai.

@vijay_968 , To control rodent issues I ultimately had to keep an annual maintenance contract with a pest control company for six months. They kept some sort of sticky board with an eatable under the car and around. The rats got stuck to it.
Thank you Jerwin. I've seen something like that in the local shops. Weighing up my options.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I checked today and steerings a bit hard. I think if any wires were messed up an error would show up. Now i think it can be the alignment and balancing. It's due.for quite some time

Even I feel my car steering feels heavy than it was when I bought it. I complained at 1st and 2nd service. They told it is normal. But from last few days I am feeling it to be tight not as light (for my liking). I don't know how to convince the ASS. Everyone complains of Verna having lifeless steering but I feel the other way.

Thread Starter #39

Even I feel my car steering feels heavy than it was when I bought it. I complained at 1st and 2nd service. They told it is normal. But from last few days I am feeling it to be tight not as light (for my liking). I don't know how to convince the ASS. Everyone complains of Verna having lifeless steering but I feel the other way.
Why not have a telecon with Mr.Lokesh of Trident ? His # is given in my earlier post.

I take my car to Kalyam Nagar Trident. I think I will also show to Mr Lokesh once to get it confirmed. Thanks buddy!

Thread Starter #41

I take my car to Kalyam Nagar Trident. I think I will also show to Mr Lokesh once to get it confirmed. Thanks buddy!
Mr. A Lokesh is an SA in Yeshwantpur branch of Trident A$$ in BLR. He might put in a word or two to his friend in Kalyan Nagar branch which might give you a delta advantage.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

no change even after getting the alignment and balancing. steering's hard. now i think it must be the weather. [confused]

Thread Starter #43
Heart Stopping Moment : Saved by Devine intervention and Verna

Yesterday A near broad-side hit on a TVS-50 at more than 90kph speeds was averted ONLY due to Divine help and the way Verna handled. Was driving back on the nice 4-lane NH7, after having lunch at A2B near Toppur Toll gate, Dharmapuri Dist, TN. A while later, had to use the left most lane (3rd lane on the Flyover) to pass two side-by-side trucks and reached the top of a Flyover. I could see a near empty road ahead, a few people on the left of the road, a break in the median immediately after the flyover. My 90 + kph was increasing due to natural down slope. Sounded a looong Horn to warn people who were may be 400-500 ft away.

Suddenly, a TVS-50 chap decided to break free from the median and started a straight dash to the left side of road (my left side). If he continued, he would cross the road easily and I didn't want to startle him (NO horn, NO light). when HE reached the middle of the road, the lady in his pillion SAW the Verna, her hand signaled me to stop and may be she shouted. He needed to go just 6-8 ft for safety, but damn driver was frozen. The TVS-50 halted across the left lane, right in the path of Verna, may be 60-70 ft ahead. I felt the only way to avoid mishap was not to apply brakes. By the time this decision was made, the distance was down to 50-60 ft. The TVS-50 couple were just looking at Verna, oblivious to people shouting at them from the sides. Wify, who was sleeping till then, opened her eyes exactly at that WRONG-est of times. HOW do WOMEN do THAT ???

As no vehicle was to my right (Divine intervention), I decided to swing the car to the right lane (horn pad pressssssssssssssed). The Fluidic Verna just changed directions, passed the frozen TVS-50 with lot of margin, in a VERY composed manner, and continued as if nothing had happened. When I looked at the ORVM, the TVS-50 was still standing on the middle of the left lane with the couple staring at Verna. Me very pleased at the way Verna accomplished THAT feat with such a short maneuvering distance and at THAT speeds.

PS:

1. We didn't stop, of-course.
  2. Yes, Wify kept showering choicest abuses on the pillion lady. If that lady did not see the Verna or had kept quite, the driver would have progressed forward without any incident.
  3. No, Wify couldn't understand why I continued to Grin for the next few minutes.
  4. I normally go thro' the "Pics of automobiles involved in Accidents" thread in TAI and Team-bHP, before starting a highway trip. That prepares me for some situations.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #44
Sunday trip. Mileage w/o and with Audi Q3's company :-)

(A) Mileage on a relaxed Drive:
Yesterday (15-02-15), went to Mohanur near Namakkal (off the NH7) in TN. Started at 4:20AM and being Sunday morning, the traffic was extremely thin. Got out of BLR quick, had breakfast at Namakkal (Hotel Arya Bhavan near the Fort - avoid it; less than average but high cost food) and reached the destination 300km away at 9:10AM. Filled diesel for Rs.1000/- on Saturday night in preparation of the journey and maintained speeds around 120 on the highway and around 80-90 on the single carriage way. See the average mileage (NOT instant) about 10km before the destination. 25.6 kpl over a distance of 290 km [clap]. And see the extremely relaxed Diesel doing duty at 90kph / 1600 rpm. What an engine !

DSC03646.JPG

(B) How Audi can affect Mileage:
Whatever fuel was left, lasted for remaining 130km till A2B near Thoppur. mileage dropping to 22, due to increased traffic on the way back home. The attendant was able to fill almost 44L of Diesel (that means I was almost about to stall ???). Sometime later the incidence mentioned in above post happened.

20-25km after the above incidence, for next 95 odd km (till Hosur), Verna was having fun with an Audi Q3 2.0L TDi Quattro. Verna's 126bHP / 250Nm Diesel in the company of Audi's 174 bHP / 380 Nm engine.

It started as pure fun, as my D wanted to watch the Q3 up close when it went past us and Audi driver understood wrongly when he saw us gaining on him. The Q3 gathered speed, my D was screaming "Appa race race" and I thought why NOT ? First I expected the Audi to run away in quick time, specially with mild Sunday afternoon highway traffic. That too with Verna's 10.4sec run to 100 kph Vs Audi's superior 7+sec run to 100 kph. The Audi had only two 25+ men. Believe it or not, the Verna led Audi on two long stretches for about 35km (total) and followed Audi at a safe distance for the remaining 55 odd km. The first 56km stretch to Krishnagiri was finished in slightly less than 30 minutes.

Mostly, the Q3 always raced away a km or so ahead (zoooom ... acceleration reigns supreme), but would get stuck behind a convoy of vehicles (reality bites). I got to him eventually and twice I was lucky to get out of those Jams first and just ... led ... the ... way for two long stretches (meaning, the Audi did not feel slowed down at those speeds). After sometime, D went to sleep and I was used to the speed and just kept going till we reached Hosur. Result ? 17.9 kpl over the 126 km. Because we were so early, forced to stop at Chennai Silks, Hosur and lost another 1000 bucks there. Ladies !

One day later, the BLR traffic has taken its toll, and the mileage is slightly over 17 kpl.

Thread Starter #45

On 1st of March did a one-day trip for about 650 + km. No matter how I want to avoid it, people keep asking me about the mileage. So here it is, the Avg mileage of 21.8 kpl after about 260 km.

Verna Milge.jpg

Speed Details:
Journey was completed in slightly less than 4 hrs, with the 120 odd km from Krishnagiri to Vellore done in 65 minutes. The general speed maintained was below 80kph till I left BLR City limits (solid 1 Hr 15 M) even in early morning), below 100kph till I crossed Hosur (almost 1 Hr 45 M) and thereafter it was a race against time, as we needed to be at destination by 8:30AM.

Savings: Union Fin Minister is interested in me paying bit more tax; the Toll guys keep increasing the charges rapidly; I am fond of chottu things sold by small time vendors; Wify loves Saris; Chottu keeps collecting perfumes; now-a-days we tend to spend bit more for mobile top-up and end up eating out bit more; the Ice-cream vendor refuses to move away from our Apartment on Sundays; etc etc. I think you are getting what I am pointing towards. We (me and the reader YOU) are spending much more than what our earlier Gen did. WHY do we NEED to talk about mileage, when the difference is generally by 2 kpl between cars in the same segment.

If I were more worried about savings, I should NEVER have sold my Matiz, invested all the money at least in RD and should have become richer every passing day. But I would never have challenged the richest man in my bloody locality. So what the hell I would have achieved by become richer than what I am now ??? B_lls. I enjoy this marvelous car below:

Verna Parked.jpg

Top Bottom