Hyundai Elite i20 CVT (2018) Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #16
Sharing some interior pics

dash
IMG_20181215_135911315.jpg

No leather wrapped steering wheel. Same as old car and IMO better than the design offered in the Verna

IMG_20181215_135515942.jpg

Gear lever . It is pretty smooth but then again it is barely used while driving. Car will start only in N & P modes by pressing the brake. Drive mode has a creep function which will propel the car without accelerator input. In my observation , it is helpful even as a hill hold function on slopes though the official specs mention no hill hold.
Manual modes by shifting to right in D. Used it on the Khandala ghats , the acceleration was similar to a manual.

IMG_20181215_135459139.jpg

Power windows and mirror adjustment

IMG_20181215_135543276.jpg

Aircon controls & USB/ Aux ports

IMG_20181215_135652290.jpg

Armrest is sufficient to rest only the elbow and not arm

IMG_20181215_135718096.jpg

MID

IMG_20181215_135749915.jpg

Rear air vents are convenient as per feedback receved from family.Middle passenger however ends up partly covering this with his legs

IMG_20181215_135900569.jpg

IMG_20181215_135922599.jpg

Fixed head rests at the rear - though functionally adequate is not expected at this price point.

IMG_20181215_135929837.jpg

Grab handles for all passengers .

IMG_20181215_135944557.jpg

Bootspace

IMG_20181215_140043745.jpg

Spare tyre is of the same size as the other 4

IMG_20181215_140126606.jpg

Inbuilt navigation. I am beginning to prefer this over google. The graphics are user friendly and it is easy to check your route with the blue highighted route despite no pinch and zoom . One of the best features I noticed that on crossroads, y sections and flyovers it clearly shows the direction ( refer the left of the image below . It disappears when not needed ) .This proved to be hugely helpful on a recent trip to Mumbai on the western express highway with its dozens of flyovers.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the interior pics provided upon request.

Two questions here:
> volume in litres of your bootspace?
> is your ICE unit touch screen one?

Also update on your mileage in city / ghats and highways (with and without AC). I might end up being an owner next year [cheers]

Thread Starter #19
Thanks a lot for the interior pics provided upon request.

Two questions here:
> volume in litres of your bootspace?
> is your ICE unit touch screen one?

Also update on your mileage in city / ghats and highways (with and without AC). I might end up being an owner next year [cheers]
Boot space is 285 litres . Not the biggest in class but suffices for luggage of 4- 5 people . Yes the ICE is touch screen .

Haven't had the chance to drive much on ghats. I use AC 90 % of the time and mileage is around 11-12 kmpl in city traffic. All the best with your purchase

If Pune city traffic yields you 11-12 kmpl with 90% AC, then Chennai city traffic with my 5--60% AC must yield me somewhere close to 11 kmpl for sure.

I was confused by some colleagues that Elite i20 petrol with the same 1.2L engine that powers the Grand i10, is underpowered during city traffic and during overtaking and while up-hilling. They told me that since CVT is already a slower transmission, it would add to the lethargic ness of the Elite.

But from review, I don't think you are facing any of these issues, bar that you haven't yet driven on Ghats yet.

@Mr.Kumar

Please consider Figo 1.5 Petrol Automatic (Its a great engine , and you can get a mileage of 12kmpl in traffic also , it has great torque in the segment ), Many doesn't know that , Figo Petrol manual and Petrol Automatic both have different engines .

@Mr.Kumar

Please consider Figo 1.5 Petrol Automatic (Its a great engine , and you can get a mileage of 12kmpl in traffic also , it has great torque in the segment ), Many doesn't know that , Figo Petrol manual and Petrol Automatic both have different engines .

Really?
Two different engines, for automatic and manual petrol Figo? Can you eloborate please?

As far as I know, Figo has a 3 cylinder 1.5 (recently cylinders have been downgraded from 4 to 3 for Ford Petrols), as told by an SA.

Kindly describe the engines for auto and manual Figo.

Moreover, getting a 12 kmpl in Chennai city traffic with a conventional torque convertor gearbox is close to no in my opinion. Earlier Ford had DCT transmissions, which was dual clutch, and now they downgraded from the technology fast dual clutch to the old school torque convertor, though not sure of number of speeds, 4 speed / 5 speed.

Don't know much on its specifications , experts on Ford may comment , but 12kmpl in Chennai B2B traffic is infact adequate .
I really think its ok by segment standards . If you can mention any other automatic petrol vehicle in the same price range, really its a new thought for me.(1.5L engine , giving 12kmpl , that too in automatic , its just superb)

1.5P Titanium AT

Last edited:
Sharing some interior pics

dash
View attachment 253149

No leather wrapped steering wheel. Same as old car and IMO better than the design offered in the Verna

View attachment 253150

Fixed head rests at the rear - though functionally adequate is not expected at this price point.

View attachment 253158
Do the Beige Trim on the upper portion of the Dashboard cause any trouble under sunlight with reflection on the windshield?

I really like the all black steering wheel of the Hyundai i20 with the Buttons on either side. The silver trim on the Verna will not age well over the years and it was never to my liking

The biggest bummer is the lack of Rear Adjustable Headrests at such a high price point. Hyundai - Stop your stupid cost cutting. Its really annoying. Adjustable Headrests is not a luxury feature, its a safety feature

With the latest Variant and features rearrangement by Hyundai, things look better for some. As we will get CVT on Sportz+ and Asta Top trim levels

Hyundai Elite i20 is a pretty good package and my parents definitely like Hyundai specially for its plush ride and good looking interiors. But I don't like the Steering feedback and Driving dynamics of the Hyundai Hatchbacks. My previous encounter with a CVT left me with a pretty bad taste, So I guess things will get very confusing once I look for a replacement of my Celerio AMT

A
Really?
Two different engines, for automatic and manual petrol Figo? Can you eloborate please?

As far as I know, Figo has a 3 cylinder 1.5 (recently cylinders have been downgraded from 4 to 3 for Ford Petrols), as told by an SA.

Moreover, getting a 12 kmpl in Chennai city traffic with a conventional torque convertor gearbox is close to no in my opinion. Earlier Ford had DCT transmissions, which was dual clutch, and now they downgraded from the technology fast dual clutch to the old school torque convertor, though not sure of number of speeds, 4 speed / 5 speed.
AFAIK, the Figo MT is powered by a 1.2l Petrol engine and the Figo AT is powered by a 1.5l engine. The Figo AT is a DCT.

OTOH, the facelifted Aspire AT is the one with the 1.5l 3 cylinder Petrol engine. The engine belongs to the Dragon series of engines and the transmission is carried out by a TC gearbox.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

A

AFAIK, the Figo MT is powered by a 1.2l Petrol engine and the Figo AT is powered by a 1.5l engine. The Figo AT is a DCT.

OTOH, the facelifted Aspire AT is the one with the 1.5l 3 cylinder Petrol engine. The engine belongs to the Dragon series of engines and the transmission is carried out by a TC gearbox.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
Vaishak do you mean to say Figo AT / DCT is a 4 cylinder 1.5L petrol?

Really?

Don't go by formed opinions and reviews on 3 cylinder engines, I recently drove a member's Freestyle 1.2 Dragon and I quite liked the way the engine drive. I'm sure 1.5 should be very good to drive based on that. I would suggest you to take a test drive of Aspire 6 speed TC AT and make up your mind. At the very least, even if you don't buy, you can let us know your thoughts on the performance. Dealer here doesn't have an automatic for test drive and it will be helpful.

Thread Starter #30
Had been to Bhuleshwar- a 13th century Shiv Temple on occasion of Maha Shivratri . This is around 50 kms from Pune . This was our first outing on rural roads with the I20. The suspension worked great on these less than perfect roads. The drive was comfortable and enjoyable on these rural traffic less roads
IMG_20190303_115454209.jpg

DSCF8228.JPG

Some photos of the temple. For some weird reason they are painting the Temple white, which taking away ts charm .

DSCF8232.JPG

Ruins of the Temple

DSCF8245.JPG

Attachments

Top Bottom