Hyundai Elite i20 (2016) Headlamp Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
Hello motorheads,

I have 2016 Elite i20 Asta O variant, which comes with projector headlamps. I have tried to search various options to upgrade the headlamps. but so far didn't get anything worth.

I have the following constraints:
  1. I cannot install any relays, that will impact the warranty.
  2. I cannot install a bulb of more than 65W(I guess!) as it can damage the reflector due to increased heat.

I managed to get Philips Crystal Vision HB3/9005 bulbs which is 65W, however that doesn't improve much over the stock headlamps.

One option I thought of was getting a LED headlamp, however in the headlamp assembly there is dust-cover cap, so I install the LED bulbs the heatsink will be out without any dust cover.

Any one here has any ideas to improve the light throw ? Please suggest !!

Thread Starter #3
Hi Bhvm,

Apologies for the delay, was out of town. I have attached 2 pic. 1 from the outside 2 from the inside, the second picture is marked with a red square and an white arrow, that is where my bulbs are. I just have to twist the cap in clockwise direction and i can remove it.

Please let me know your opinion.

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
You do have a projector in place, so HID kit is your best bet. You can also go with the LED bulb route, but Penetration (Punch) and color of HID kit (4300K) is far better than any LED. Also, due to dust cap design, the Fan or Heatsink of LED will not get any cooling so there is chance of LED burning out soon.

You will have to drill a small hole in that dust cap to get wires out for ballast. Seal it with silicone so dust doesn't get in. It does not void the warranty. I have Full HID kits installed in headlamps and fogs of my XUV 500. No warranty issue. Just ensure a professional install and no wire cutting.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks a ton mate!!

Just a quick question, will the heat generated by the HID damage the reflectors?. Also do you suggest any good HID kit that you have come across.

I plan to do it on my own, if I wont be able to pull it of then will get it installed at a good garage.

Please suggest any post or reference to any links that you may have so that I can just have an understanding of the overall procedure.

Just a quick question, will the heat generated by the HID damage the reflectors?. Also do you suggest any good HID kit that you have come across.

Please suggest any post or reference to any links that you may have so that I can just have an understanding of the overall procedure.
Hello raceace3

HIDs generally run cooler than their halogen counterparts. Anyway, after the upgrade, make it a habit to switch off your headlights when the car is stationary. It will be good for your reflector as well as battery.

My friend has been using an HID kit with AC ballast (recommended by bhvm in the forum) since several months now and has faced no problem with the kit, or reflector or battery. He drives for 1.5 hrs at night almost 6 days a week. Car is an XUV. Here is the link for one of the HID kits from the seller -

https://m.ebay.in/itm/UGLARE-35W-H4-3-4300K-AC-HID-Conversion-Kits-With-Wiring-Harness-/252122016193?hash=Ng==

And here is a thread (by bhvm again) which will help you -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/22208-4300k-quality-hid-kit-technical-review-install-w-pics.html

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
raceace,
you will NOT require the h4 hid kit as shown in those link. standard h4 is for reflector type design. please consult your user manual for correct type of bulb before ordering. projector setups are usually h7 or hb3 etc.

Aftermarket HID install in 2016 Hyundai i20 elite

I want to install HID lights question is how to route wires from the dust cover which are water proof. Will silicon sealent will do....if it failed whole light is gone

Upgrading To White colored headlights for Elite i20 Asta(O)

Hi,

Am a new member here. So hello to everyone! :)

I have recently purchased Elite i20 Asta (O), which comes with projector headlamps as standard one. The stock headlight is perfect for night driving!

But I recently saw that Hyundai had launched Tucson in India, which comes with white colored projector headlamps. So my question is can that white color be used in my i20 ?

I was thinking that since the company is using a white color projector headlights in one of their own models, would that same bulb can be used for my i20 ?
Or does the whole projector headlamp set needs to be replaced, if I want to use the white color in i20?

The reason why am thinking to use the company's (Tucson's) white bulb is that, it will be more safe & efficient than using any aftermarket local bulbs! Maybe I am wrong about that. Please let me know your thoughts.

Or if you are suggesting to use third party bulb, let me know your suggestions!

Thank you

Re: Upgrading To White colored headlights for Elite i20 Asta(O)

Hi,

Am a new member here. So hello to everyone! :)

Or does the whole projector headlamp set needs to be replaced, if I want to use the white color in i20?

The reason why am thinking to use the company's (Tucson's) white bulb is that, it will be more safe & efficient than using any aftermarket local bulbs! Maybe I am wrong about that. Please let me know your thoughts.

Or if you are suggesting to use third party bulb, let me know your suggestions!

Thank you
Congrats on the car dude! You need not change the entire assembly, only a bulb change would give you the desired colour temperature.

Bulb from Tucson would be a perfect fit only if the specifications match. You'll have to check the specifications of the bulb first to know which type it is (D2S, etc.) and match it with your halogen bulb. It would be a reliable setup but a cumbersome process to find Tucson's bulbs.

If you want to go aftermarket way, then HID is your best bet. Find one which matches the specifications of your current bulb and opt for 35w ones which would compensate for the high battery usage during startups.

In many of bhvm's threads, you will find mention of UGlare HID kits from eBay.in. Go for them if you are on a tight budget, of ~5-6k bucks. If you can spend close to 10-12k for bulbs, look for Philips, Osram and P8 HIDs. You'll have to be careful with these because there are lots of high quality duplicates in the market. Opt for 4300K colour temperature as it will give an optimum balance of visibility and bling. Even 6000K would suffice, but will be whiter than the colour of OEMs.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
Re: Aftermarket HID install in 2016 Hyundai i20 elite non projector model

I bought a 35w hid kit after installing the kit, only one side is working and the other side creats a irring sound and nothing happens on reversing the bulb it works if someone else has seen this issue please help.

Do i need a canbus enabled ballest for elite i20.

I think there is some sort of power issue as the kit is ok have checked on other car its working good.

Top Bottom