Hyundai Elantra CRDi Long Term Ownership Review: 3.6 Lakh Kms & Going Strong

Thread Starter #1
Hyundai Elantra CRDi Long Term Ownership Review: 4 Lakh Kms & Going Strong

Hi, folks,

I am a new member. Even though I visit forum to find resolutions for my car issues and reviews, was never active on any car community. Recently I have been thinking about posting an ownership thread about my Elantra CRDI, because the car really deserves it.

I started my journey with Ikon 1.6 , a true drivers car. So fun to drive even by today’s standard I must say. After couple of years it started giving too many niggling issues and broke down on me twice, even after maintaining it really well. So I sold the car after using it for 6 years.

In 2006, I started travelling a lot, Bangalore to Kerala at least once a month at times twice. This demanded a diesel car. Back then choices were limited, after limiting it down to 3 cars. Octavia, Optra, Elantra. Despite many saying no to this car, I went ahead and bought the car and one of the best decisions I have taken when it comes to purchasing cars.

So there began our journey…

If one thing this car is made for, it is the highways. Super flat and planted on the ground. Suspension is very stiff, which makes slow speed ride not so great, but with speed increase you enjoy the ride. Most of the time I drive alone and I never felt too tired at any point. Car comes with ABS, EBD, 4 wheel disks, two air bags, which was pretty good for a 2006 car. Breaking of the car is amazing, par with some of the German high end cars (now age has taken its toll, still never gave me shrivels).
Car has got good space, AC is very effective, it has got climate control, I keep it at 22 all the time with blower speed 2, which is enough even for Kerala hot climate.
This engine was not designed by Hyundai but it bought from Detroit Diesel. CRDI engine is very rev happy. Tall gearing makes it very relaxed on highways. Very good build, can take any amount of abuse and yet remains rattle free.

Some things I did not like about the car was, steering feel spoils otherwise quite involving drive, though its weighs up adequately at speed. Low seating not comfortable for some people, ingress and egress could be an issue to older people.

This was our primary car till 2014, when we decided to buy the Octavia and Elantra was getting old and showing its age. After Octi started doing the duties, Elantra was taking rest and was not using much, still I made sure the car is in perfect mechanical condition.

Till last year end, things were fine with Octi and it started showing its true color. Issues started at 4th year itself. Because of extended warranty, I have been managing. Due to the issue Octi have, Elantra became primary ride again.

So far the ownership has been hassle free without any major dramas. Vehicle is at 4 lakh kilometer now, performance and FE is still at very acceptable range. Last year, I was planning to sell the car, but ridiculous resale value put me off. Since it sold in very less number, difficult to source parts now and it has become expensive also. But if you want, you will still get even small parts without any issue, but some parts require waiting period, some you get with in two days. But never like "Never ending" waiting period Skoda offers.

Since it has served us brilliantly over the years and if I sell it there is high chance who ever buying it won’t or won’t be able to take care of it because of the expense parts, I decided to keep the Elantra and sell the Octi before extended warranty expires and buy a new car.
Will be restoring the Elantra this year, new suspension, maybe clutch job, need to check the condition, it feels fine now, new EGR on the way, will keep it in pristine condition.

A true underdog, one whose glory was sung after demise. [clap]

Pics were missed from the thread, I am using a new phone now, I don't have much pics of Elantra now, will post more pics soon.

IMG_20170204_101346.jpg

IMG_20170204_103700.jpg

IMG_20170318_080806.jpg

IMG_20170318_080816.jpg

IMG_20170318_080830.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Elantra CRDI Long Term Ownership review, 3.6 lakh and going strong

Hi Jonesanto,
Welcome to this wonderful group. Your thread heading pulled me in.Really its an awesome mileage in an Elantra. 3.6 Lakh and still running is awesome to hear.
Your picture say its a very well maintained car.Body lines and paint condition looks good. Interior Leathers are great. Dont sell for cheap price, Instead you can keep the car with you and use for very short distances alone.

Think that it served you in a better way, keep it with you if you have a proper parking.

Thread Starter #3

Hi Jonesanto,
Welcome to this wonderful group. Your thread heading pulled me in.Really its an awesome mileage in an Elantra. 3.6 Lakh and still running is awesome to hear.
Your picture say its a very well maintained car.Body lines and paint condition looks good. Interior Leathers are great. Dont sell for cheap price, Instead you can keep the car with you and use for very short distances alone.

Think that it served you in a better way, keep it with you if you have a proper parking.
Thanks a lot Amby
"Dont sell for cheap price, Instead you can keep the car with you and use for very short distances alone." My thoughts exactly, if I am to sell, I will only sell it to someone who will take care of it, if taken care it will still do some decent miles.

Both bumpers have been painted once, no body work so far, still the original paint. It was always parked in closed parking, maybe that's why.

This is a leather pack version, company fitted leather seats, so far so good. I haven't done any detailing since.... 2014 [glasses] Maybe I will do a detailing this year.

Planning to take the car to kerala and keep it there, no parking issues there.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks, Silver,

This is one car that aged really well. This generation Elantra was never considered good looking nor a performer. At first it was just another car for me, then I started owning other cars, first 5 years, 90% cars do its run smoothly without any issues, it's after that maintenance comes into play. Even after maintaining well, most of the cars I owned just crawled to live up to our expectation and will sell it between 5-10 years period. This is the only car my family kept more than 10 years and it kept on surprising us. [:D]

Awesome Jone. Very nice car. Even I own a Santro from Hyundai (2013 made) and have clocked only 30,000 kms as of last evening, and of course, Hyundai has been making great cars. Old Elantra is always a golden car, keep away the new funky ones, which I don't think would last even 2L kms.

Top Bottom