Hyundai Creta Diesel SX(O) MT Review

Hyundai has for the first time priced its products wrong. looking at the prices suddenly a fully fledged SUV the XUV 500 and Safari STORME seems the best option. i had thought that they would price it below duster or terrano and would gain the market share. however i fail to understand the stratergy here. The review though is good Akash very detailed and informative. Keep up the good work Buddy

Thread Starter #18

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Really impressed with Akash sir , his review and The new addition to hyundai family ..Creta :) .
Thanks alot buddy. The car in flesh does look good and by far, I found the White shade to be the best in it. It shows the lines and design of the car very aptly.

In the earlier threads, I have read wheel size, 17 inch, but in flesh it is 16 inch, why so?
Upto SX+ all variants have 16" and Sx (o) comes with 17". May be some type of cost reducing technique by Hyundai.

Hyundai has for the first time priced its products wrong. looking at the prices suddenly a fully fledged SUV the XUV 500 and Safari STORME seems the best option.
Top Variants of Creta seem to be higher on price as per On-Road price Nitin.

i had thought that they would price it below duster or terrano and would gain the market share. however i fail to understand the stratergy here.
Nitin lets wait for the sales reports. That would clear many things.

The review though is good Akash very detailed and informative. Keep up the good work Buddy
Thanks a lot Nitin. Much appreciated.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Great review Akash. Hyundai has surely mastered two things. Firstly gorgeous looking interiors with nice use of materials as well and secondly the NVH levels specially when it comes to diesel engines. They are just noise-less and with minimal vibrations. Make the likes of VW's TDI and Ford's TDCI look a couple of generations old when it comes to NVH and vibrations from the engine bay.

But the feedback and feel from the steering is pretty much one of the worse. Yes they are good to drive around and maneuver in the city with the light weight but they get absolutely nerve wrecking at high speeds. I have a fluidic Hyundai Verna 1.6VTVT and I can vouch for it that the steering doesn't hold a candle at high speeds against my other two cars which are ironically much cheaper pricewise i.e Ford Fiesta Classic TDCI and VW Polo Tdi(all together different segments people might say). Have heard they have started working on it from the 4S Verna and the Elite i20 but still a long way to go for them in this department.

Regarding the Creta, they have completely messed up a lovely all round product with over ambitious and bizarre pricing. Lower end trims stack up still better than the likes of Renault Duster RXE/RXL variants but the high end variants creep too close to the Mahindra XUV500 territory and that is in no way a good sign. Plus the glaring omission of front airbags in the base and S variant is a terrible terrible decision in this day and age. Someone spending close to INR 12L will surely be expecting these basic safety features. Rest lets see if they add some features to those trims or lower the price of some variants in the future. I do see it selling in decent numbers but don't really see it hurting any of its competitors, maybe Terrano at the best because it itself is horribly priced for what it offers.

A tbhpian has commented that the ride is like a typical Hyundai.Good at low speeds but unsettling at moderate speeds over bad roads. Not in the league of Duster (2wd or AWD). Also he mentioned about suspension sagging with 2 people in the rear . Can you comment on this @Akash ?

Nice and crisp review Mr.Akash ,

I have just small queries-
As engine spec in both Verna and Creta are same, as a VFM which would you think would prefer for a family car.
Hyundai is improving in Steering feedback , henceforth ,again with 4s Verna ,has Creata changed?

Thread Starter #22

Akash1886

Honoured Member
A tbhpian has commented that the ride is like a typical Hyundai.Good at low speeds but unsettling at moderate speeds over bad roads.
Ace, The maximum speed that I attained was 80km/h and at that speed, the word unsettling seems bit exaggerated. Yes, Hyundai is working on ride and handling and it can be well very much felt when you drive Creta Diesel. Since I have not driven the Petrol Version so can't comment on its ride and handling. As of bad roads, the stretch which I drove on had many potholes and the suspension did not make the ride feel bad at all. The complaint of having soft suspension seems to be worked upon in Creta.

Not in the league of Duster (2wd or AWD). Also he mentioned about suspension sagging with 2 people in the rear . Can you comment on this @Akash ?
See we all know Hyundai had perennial issue of soft suspension so one can't compare that to Duster. Moreover, Creta is an improvised product in terms of suspension. It has been worked upon. As of having 2 people in rear, when I drove, we were just 2 people in car, I did not go in for a joint test drive.

Nice and crisp review ,
[cheers] Glad you found it useful Vishnu.

I have just small queries-
As engine spec in both Verna and Creta are same, as a VFM which would you think would prefer for a family car.
See Vishnu I agree the specs of engine are same for Verna and Creta however both are serving different purpose and from different segment. Still as of VFM and Family use, If you are looking at Top end model then Verna is better than Creta in terms of price. However, if you often do long trips and have elderly people at home then being a Mini SUV Creta is right. Still I would again say, In the rear, Creta cannot seat 3 people. Its not a 5 seater and only 4 people can sit comfortably.

Hyundai is improving in Steering feedback , henceforth ,again with 4s Verna ,has Creata changed?
To a good extent I would say. As I mentioned in review that I drove it at 80 km/h I did feel it was light but not as light as it is with older generation cars of Hyundai. It had grip while applying emergency brakes at 60km/h also and even at 80km/h. Infact the SA even asked me "Sir, Please tell me what are you actually trying to do in between traffic?" I told him, your products earlier had complaints of weak/soft steering at high/moderate speeds so just checking on that.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
A very well laid down review bro as usual[clap].

If I was in market for a mini SUV or with a budget of 12-13 lacs I would have opted for SX model and I guess this model will gain the most sales in diesel variant.

Thank you very much for the useful review and answering questions Akash. I have earlier removed Creta from my initial selection of cars I am thinking of buying early next year. However after seeing your photos of white Creta and reading your review I seriously need to consider AT Creta.

One question though, what is your opinion on going for long drives ( say 500-1000km) in Creta as opposed to a Ecosport or an XUV ? Do you feel tiredness from suspension and noise will be an issue ? what about seat comfort for rear occupants during long drive ?

Thread Starter #25

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thank you very much for the useful review and answering questions Akash. I have earlier removed Creta from my initial selection of cars I am thinking of buying early next year. However after seeing your photos of white Creta and reading your review I seriously need to consider AT Creta.
Indeed my honor sir. I am happy my review is helpful for you.

One question though, what is your opinion on going for long drives ( say 500-1000km) in Creta as opposed to a Ecosport or an XUV ?
On long drives, in comparison to Ecosport you wont feel tired due to AT. Aptly the Creta has been given a 6 Speed AT so on long drives if you have AT then it wont cause distress. It provides a convenient ride even if driven on highways between 80-100 km/h and the much talked about soft/life-less steering at high speed, in Creta specifically, Hyundai has worked on it and as told I drove and braked at 80 km/h and steering did very much feel gripped. Its light but certainly not lifeless at 80 km/h.

Do you feel tiredness from suspension and noise will be an issue ? what about seat comfort for rear occupants during long drive ?
I did not feel any noise or a sluggish suspension. Hyundai(s) earlier were bashed rightly for having soft rear suspension but the same can't be said for Creta. The suspension seems needfully worked upon and the NVH is absolutely great even in diesel. Talking about seating comfort at rear, honestly, you cannot seat 3 pax(read adults) on rear seat as it gets cramped. Only a comfortable 4 seater is Creta in my opinion.

Regards

Akash

Superbly written review Akash. Thanks and rated the thread 5 star.

Coming back to Creta : Much has been written on the price and hence no point mentioning it. IMHO it is overpriced for sure!!!!!

P.S : I have also booked one however neither cancelled the booking nor confident of my purchase. Dilemma continues!!

Thread Starter #27

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have also booked one however neither cancelled the booking nor confident of my purchase. Dilemma continues!!
See buddy, a product needs to be judged on its merits and de-merits. Creta foremost as I said is a comfortable 4 seater so when you intend to buy it keep this thing in mind. Also an observation I would like to share with regards to Hyundai Dealers here in Noida i.e ever since this mini-SUV has arrived, the dealer's SA team has only been talking about this car only. Taking booking and giving TD for Creta only. It seems as if they are only having one car in their portfolio for now.[lol]

Regards

Akash

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
The weird thing about creta and( hyundai too),is that they have nowhere mentioned the kerb weight of creta. I have noticed this in past too,about other hyundai cars.What have they to hide?Why are they shy of declaring it openly.Every other car manufacture mentioned this clearly under the specifications section.
When I sat in the car on 22nd july,it looked and felt sturdy.But I cant guess the weight.I looked up the owners manual in fast- forward mode,and reached specs section.It was missing even there!! . Its as if "better not tell the weight otherwise indians will start comparing with duster, polo, ecosport, xuv etc and we may loose.The customers might come to conclusion that ecosport or xuv or polo is more sturdier/ safer".This hiding the weight of cars has become more prominent after i10 fiasco in NCAP tests,and raises doubt in my mind regarding Hyundai.They are not being totally honest.[;)]
My opinion about creta.A Good looking car,loaded with goodies but not at all value for money,and with no soul.Hyundai is definitely overcharging us.

Thread Starter #29

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The weird thing about creta and( hyundai too),is that they have nowhere mentioned the kerb weight of creta. I have noticed this in past too,about other hyundai cars.What have they to hide?
Mayank +1 to your observation. Apart from that, in the official brochure received at launch, there was no mention of following:

* Boot Volume

* Ground Clearance (Later added in official press release)

* Turning radius not mentioned in brochure.

Now in some cases, while training the executives, they could have informed but they did not which is sad. Also, it is wrong on part of Hyundai to give incomplete information to prospective buyers specially about important specs like Boot Space and Ground Clearance. Hyundai does show that it has studied the Indian market, then how come they avoided to print relevant info for Creta in India is not clear. Another thing which they should know is that, common people buy a car after referring the brochure and majority of buyer do not have access to Official press release. So its imperative of Hyundai to print and train their official/executives accordingly with product details.

Regards

Akash

Guys i was first customer to book the SXO Creta(white) in Advaith Hyundai Mysore and the good news is that i am getting my car delivery tomorrow. I am very impressed with the car. According to my SA , the GC is 197mm for the sxo version and 190+ for sx versions . Boot space is 400lts. He also gauranteed me that the suspensions are too good and the rear tyres wont rubb the wheel arch by any chance.

Top Bottom