Hyosung 250R Launched in India

Re: Hyosung 250R Indian Launch By April 2012

People from Bike Advice have got a chance to test ride this machine,according to their website they will put the full review very soon, but for now they have put the tech spec's of this model.

ENGINE:
Engine Type : V-Twin
Cylinders : 2
Engine Stroke : 4-Stroke
Cooling : Oil Cooled
Valves : 8
Valves Per Cylinder : 4
Valve Configuration : DOHC
Compression Ratio : 10.2:1
Starter : Electric

TRANSMISSION:
Transmission Type : Manual
Number Of gears : 5
Primary Drive : Chain

WHEELS & TIRES:
Front Tire : 110/70 R17 54H
Rear Tire : 150/70 R17 69H

BRAKES:
Front Brake Type : Dual Hydraulic Disc
Rear Brake Type : Hydraulic Disc

OTHER SPECIFICATIONS:
Wheelbase : 1435.1mm
Fuel Capacity : 17 litres

Source:
Hyosung GT250R Review

DSK MotoWheels-Hyosung has just launched the 2012 Hyosung GT250R sportsbike at a price of INR 2.75 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi. DSK-Hysoung’s latest motorcycle for the Indian market is pitted directly against the Kawasaki Ninja 250R rather than the Honda CBR250R.

The motorcycle will be available at all 18 DSK-Hyosung(previously Garware-Hyosung) dealers across the country right from today, when bookings will officially open. Deliveries will begin in the next two weeks with the motorcycles reaching showrooms in the next 5 days. The 2012 Hyosung GT250R will be available in three twin tone colors; white-red, red-black and silver-red.

The pricing is little disappointing.

DSK MotoWheels-Hyosung launches the 2012 GT250R sportsbike at a price of INR 2.75 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi | IndianCarsBikes.in

2.7 lakhs??!! Ha!

Tell me one reason why should anybody buy this instead of a Ninja, or even a CRB 250 for that matter.

Hyosung, bring the GT250N at Rs. 1.5 lakhs. That's the only way you can hope to get some decent sales here.

I rest my case.

2.7 lakhs??!! Ha!

Tell me one reason why should anybody buy this instead of a Ninja, or even a CRB 250 for that matter.

Hyosung, bring the GT250N at Rs. 1.5 lakhs. That's the only way you can hope to get some decent sales here.

I rest my case.
Even i feel it does not make any sense for people to buy this bike, at this price you can as well put your money on the tried and tested Ninja.

Mod's please change the title to
HYOSUNG 250R launched at 2.75L ex-showroom

2.7 lakhs??!! Ha!

I rest my case.

You forgot the Duke200:biggrin:

Looking at the following specs, I'm pretty sure this bike is already as good as dead in the market.

Cost: 2.75Lakhs Ex-Showroom, Delhi

Wet weight: 188Kgs (Which is 21Kgs more than the CBR, 18Kgs more on the Ninja and 52Kgs more on the KTM!!![pig])

Max Power: 27.61 bhp@10000 rpm

Max Torque: 2.25 kgm@8000 rpm

I dont think its worth it, No matter if it comes with a free service for life. I think it would have been reasonable if they priced it at say 1.3-1.4 Lakhs on-road.

Last edited:

Hyosung plans to sell 3,000 bikes more in India this fiscal, lines up aggressive localisation

DSK Hyosung, the newly formed partnership between South Korea’s S&T Motors and the Pune-based DSK Group to sell Hyosung-branded sports bikes, has set a target to sell 3,000 bikes during the rest of the current financial year. Hyosung, which had a partnership with the Garware Group till recently, sold over 600 bikes last year. “India is the most important market for S&T Motors now,” Justin Lee, head of S&T Motors’ global marketing team, told Autocar Professional.

The Indo-Koreabn partnership has charted out an aggressive localisation plan to be able to price the Hyosung bikes more competitively. “We are aiming to localise the bikes up to 90 percent in 18 months from now,” said Shirish Kulkarni, managing director, DSK Motowheels (pictured with the DSK Motowheels team).

The company, which currently assembles the bikes in a facility acquired from Garware Motors, is in the process of acquiring land to set up a new plant. “We would like to purchase land in the Mumbai-Pune belt as it will be convenient to import kits through the JNPT port,” said Kulkarni, after launching the Hyosung GT250R. The 28bhp sportsbike is priced at Rs 2.75 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). It accelerates from 0-100kph in 9.96 seconds and has an estimated top speed of 140kph. The GT250R competes with the Kawasaki Ninja 250 and the Honda CBR250R in the Indian market.

mod's please change the thread title to Hyosung 250R Indian Launched at 2.75L ex-showroom.

Bike Chronicles of India Special: Interview of Mr. Shivapada Ray (GM: Sales & Marketing, DSK Hyosung)

Q-Hyosung has had 3 partners in India – Kinetic, Garware and now DSK. Kinetic and Garware were short lived. What can we expect from DSK?

SR: Let me clarify. Kinetic never had a partnership with Hyosung. Kinetic had just imported a few numbers of bikes and had sold it as limited edition along with their name on the bikes. It was merely a brand building exercise for them.
Hyosung did enter into a partnership with Garware and it went off very well. We sold around 600 vehicles in a year. And that is a very good number considering all of them were 650-700 cc vehicles. So far we have imported the vehicles as CKD (completely knocked down) kits from South Korea and assembled them here in India.
We now wanted to take it to the next level. i.e we were now looking to reduce the import content and manufacture as much as possible in India itself. Hyosung needed a partner which could bring in the additional capital and resources and the commitment to take it to the next level. Let me clarify that nobody wanted to sell off anything but when all the 3 parties involved (i.e Garware, DSK and ST Motors) sat together; they decided that it would be better for everybody that DSK now takes over the baton. DSK is a big business entity and are very serious about this new business venture.

Q-So can we expect India to become an export hub for Hyosung as well?

SR: Yes, give us some time and that should happen. Once we start to import less and manufacture parts in India, the prices of the products should also come down drastically.

Q-Talking about pricing, there is a general feeling out on the internet, especially among the enthusiasts that the GT250R is slightly overpriced (at Rs. 2.75 lakhs ex-showroom). What are your comments on that?

SR: As we import the bikes in CKD (completely knocked down) form which attracts import duties. Also the rising dollar rates with respect to the rupee do not makes things easy for us. It also does not make sense for us to sell the GT250R at a loss. We have priced the GT250R quite reasonably.Look at it in this way, no other 250 cc in the market will give you exotic features like inverted front forks, double disc brakes at the front, projector headlamps, fully adjustable rear set foot pegs and lets not forget that in terms of looks, the GT250R does not look less than a 1,000 cc superbike. We therefore feel that it is priced quite well. But like I have mentioned earlier, once we start to manufacture out of India, the prices would come down to a very reasonable level.

Q-I agree that the GT250R has its own USP which makes it stand apart in the crowd. But from a prospective buyer’s point of view, one thing that prevents me from buying a GT250R for my self is the lack of fit and finish that is expected from a premium product. Can we expect things to improve?

SR: Yes, we are very much aware that the fit and finish on our products have to improve. S&T have already started to work on this seriously.

Q-Hyosung is a relatively unknown brand in India. Are there any plans to generate awareness about the brand in India and also how to position it?

SR: Brand awareness is created by 3 things. [1] The marketing/advertising spends [2] How long the brand has existed [3] and the product itself. For the awareness to improve about Hyosung in India, first there have to be enough vehicles on the road. For that we are in the process of increasing the number of dealerships in Tier-I and Tier-II cities.About how to position the brand in India, In India the two wheeler makers are busy fighting their own battle in the 100-250 cc space. A few big names do bring in their international models but mostly in the 800 cc and above range. We want to fill the gap between the 250-700 cc space. We want to be the first name that should come to a customer’s mind when he/she is looks for a bike between 250-700 cc. We intend to have the largest variety of motorcycles in the 250 cc-700 cc range. We already have models ranging from SuperSports, Cruisers and Nakeds. In the future you can also expect other kinds of bikes like on-off road bikes, Supermoto bikes and even ATV’s. We plan to provide the most variety to the Indian customer in the 250-700 cc space.

Q- Considering your products are priced at a premium compared to normal motorcycles in the market, can you explain why this strategy to focus more on Tier-I and Tier-II cities?

SR: Investing Rs. 3-7 lakh in a motorcycle is still a big deal in India. Even for most enthusiasts. But there are many potential customers in Tier-I & Tier-II cities, especially the neo rich guys, like the ones who have become rich overnight thanks to the booming real estate prices. Now typically these are the guys who will buy a SUV like Fortuner or XUV 500. We want to tap into these customers with our products. I am sure that would be ready to happily pay Rs. 3-7 lakhs for a bike which in no way looks less than a Rs. 13-14 lakh bike and performs decently for its engine capacity.

Q-What about the enthusiast then? What can they expect from DSK Hyosung?

SR: As I have earlier said, we are very serious about India. Very soon expect some India specific products from DSK Hyosung. For starters, we have 3 such India specific products planned to be launched in the next one year. This is just the starting, “Picture abhi baaki hai”.

Q-As the GM-Sales and Marketing at DSK Hyosung, what will be your top 3 priorities?

SR: [1] Increase the localization content [2] Increase the number of dealerships and [3] Increase the number and well as variety of models in our product lineup.

Okay, that's enough.

All TAIndians who feel that Hyosung would do well in India, please raise your hands.

Er, no hands??!!!

Just as I had expected :biggrin:

Interview with Shirish Kulkarni, director of DSK HYOSUNG

We had a free wheeling chat with him earlier today and here's what he had to say. Take it away then, Shirish!

BSM: What's the update on the production plant that you had spoken about some time ago?
SK: The plans for the plant are on schedule. We have closed in on the location and it's a place called Lonand which is about 77 km away from Pune. The place boasts of good infrastructure and we intend to set up our facilities over about 100 acres of land. The implementation of this plan will be staggered, but construction on the first section should commence between December this year to January of next year. We intend to start production at the plant by 2013-2014.

BSM: Which motorcycles can we expect to be launched by DSK HYOSUNG in the coming future?
SK: We intend to launch the GV650 and the GV250 as soon as possible. These two bikes are our next priority launches.

BSM: Nothing in the smaller displacement segments in the future, then?
SK: Well, we have many plans for the long term. We intend to see ourselves as a mainstay motorcycle manufacturer in the future. We are in talks with Hyosung to produce a 150cc motorcycle by the end of 2014. By then, our network should have gone up to 75 dealers in all. By the end of 2015, we should be producing 125cc motorcycles as well. Both these motors will be single cylinders developed only for India. In fact, we are currently evaluating whether we could develop these engines in India itself with Hyosung's inputs. Depending on where the market takes us, we might also produce scooters. But if we do, we see ourselves manufacturing scooters in the 100 to 125cc segment only by 2016-2017.

BSM: How are you marketing your brand differently as compared to the rest of the manufacturers who are mainly seen in the Tier 1 to Tier 2 cities.
SK: We are percolating our brand even in Tier 3 cities. The North East will get more DSK Hyosung dealers. Patna, Bhubaneshwar, Nagpur, Solapur, Ahmednagar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Vijaywada and places around Chennai will have our dealerships very shortly. Kerala will have more of our dealers set up. This year is all about network expansion for us. We intend to have close to 30 dealers by March 2013.

BSM: What about exports? Are you looking towards catering to the international markets with your upcoming plant?
SK: Yes, we are very much interested in catering to the export market. In fact, we had talks with Hyosung with regard to manufacturing engines here in India for overseas markets and they have given us a positive reply. With regard to complete motorcycles, we might do this, but we will only manufacturer certain models. After all, Hyosung also has their Korean plant to manufacture out of. I cannot tell you when any of this will happen, but it is on the cards.

EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Shirish Kulkarni, director of DSK HYOSUNG

Top Bottom