How to Start a Petrol Engine?!

350Z

Core Team
Did you check your battery too. Your car not starting at the first crank may be due to that too IMO.
I suspected the same earlier. I’m afraid it’s also happening with Fiesta which is new. Moreover, I never experienced this issue when the foot was off from the clutch.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #32
Why don't you get your fiestas battery checked just to make sure that the battery is not a culprit here.
But I don't think cranking your engine without depressing the clutch will cause any problem, unless and untill you don't forget to disengage gear prior cranking !!

350Z

Core Team
Why don't you get your fiestas battery checked just to make sure that the battery is not a culprit here.
It’s fine. Fiesta would also refused to start at first crank when I didn't used to keep the foot on the clutch pedal. I practiced this for some time.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Honda Brio Manual mentions that Engine should be started with Clutch fully depressed and Gear in Neutral , but Car can start even when Clutch is not engaged , Since it is mentioned in the Manual i am following this method , i really don't know why Honda has specified to do so even when car starts without doing it .

Honda Brio Manual mentions that Engine should be started with Clutch fully depressed and Gear in Neutral , but Car can start even when Clutch is not engaged , Since it is mentioned in the Manual i am following this method , i really don't know why Honda has specified to do so even when car starts without doing it .
Some new gen cars (e.g Linea/Manza/Punto) have this technique for starting the car.

Great info here. Will follow the clutch-press practice from now on in Brio. I've managed to crank the engine couple of times while car was in reverse (started using the gear lock a lot nowadays and forget to change to neutral after unlocking it)!

Now this is some info for me. I never depressed the clutch on engine start. I park the vehicle on neutral with hand brakes. So its only the hand brakes that I use when I start. Will follow this method from now. Debatable topic on new cars, something like running-in period , but why not follow it when there is no harm on engaging the clutch during the start.

I had a discussion long back with my mechanic and he said that its really doesn't matter to engine if you start by depressing the clutch or releasing the clutch. Its just one's habit. Coming to safety matter he says it should be moreover a checklist to ensure you have your car in neutral and on plane surface before cranking the engine. If there is slope then ensure you engaged the handbrake. I am following this procedure for long. As per my habit i just put my car in neutral start the engine (without pressing accelerator) and then keep it idle for 1 mins. Also usually 1 drive with RPM not crossing 1.5 for first 2 KMS. Once the car has reached optimum temperature then zoom off...

As per my habit i just put my car in neutral start the engine (without pressing accelerator) and then keep it idle for 1 mins. Also usually 1 drive with RPM not crossing 1.5 for first 2 KMS. Once the car has reached optimum temperature then zoom off...
What is the reason of this idling? When I start my car the RPM runs at 1000. I also give some idling now a days to reduce the RPM a little bit,otherwise the car intends to shoot forward.This technique is learnt very recently. Earlier I had to star my car and apply break slightly simultaneously to avoid this fast start since front space before my car parking is narrow.

1 minute idle rule is for better engine life. Oil is deposited to chanber and it needs some time to reach thoughtout the engine. Also the engine operates the best when it has reached optimum temperature hence this 1 minute idle is equally important.

1 minute idle rule is for better engine life. Oil is deposited to chanber and it needs some time to reach thoughtout the engine. Also the engine operates the best when it has reached optimum temperature hence this 1 minute idle is equally important.
I think after reaching the optimum temperature the RPM of the engine reduces a bit.

Top Bottom