How to Shift Gears Accurately on a Car without Tachometer?

Thread Starter #1
hey guys!!
today while driving somehow this thought passed through my mind. people keep telling only about the right rpm's to shift gears. but what if the car is not equipped with an rpm guage(like in my case)? can speed be used as a basis for changing gears? gurus can shed some light on this?

Last edited:
but what if the car is not equipped with an rpm guage
:eek:Even my 7 years old bike has it.

On serious note -
Generally try to follow below speed range
  • 1st gear - 15-20 KMPH
  • 2nd gear - 20-30 KMPH
  • 3rd gear - 30-50 KMPH
  • 4th gear - 50-70 KMPH
  • 5th gear 70+.

Its not possible always to follow this, specially in heavy traffic.

you cannot follow a specific speed according to me for every car. it depends on which vehicle you are driving.

for quick acceleration, you can rev a RS upto 55kmph in 2nd gear but in a scorpio, its better to shift at 35kmph.

for cars without tacho, your driving experience in general & with that specific car tells you when to change the gears.

As already discussed about the torques , shifting vary from petrol engine to diesel engine.

Age old practice is shifting by the sound. More sound more rpm and so up shift

and car tend to stall , down shift.

for any car above 10kmph we can go to 2nd - above 25 3rd and 40 4th - 55 5th

Sometime i do shift to 4th when the speed is 35 in a 800.

b/w my hand changes it automatically hehe

I usually shift gears by hearing the engine sound. In my unicorn, I used to shift gears by looking at the rpm. Now, I am used to shift without looking at the rpm. While in a car, I never look at the rpm. I respond by hearing the engine sound.

Thread Starter #7
hmmm people here tend to change gears depending upon the sound even though wquippeed with a tacho. ok fine. so in particular can somebody specify the speed to gear change statistics for the 0.8L alto?

350Z

Core Team
The figures provided by RSM seem fine though I upshift from first gear as soon as possible (Before 10 – 15 Kmph). Do refer to car’s manual for specific details.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes correct shifting speeds must be provided in your manual! After sometime you will get used to changing gears according to the sound of the engine! Your hands will shift automatically even though your thoughts are something else!!

And the ones provided by RSM are good enough for your Alto i guess! But if you want a great pick up you can even go for higher speeds in each gears but it may harm your engine life! I do that once in a while standing first in a signal , both bike as well as car!![:D]

And one interesting i observed in my Verna! I think this must be the same with other modern cars also! Sorry if its OT!

Out of curiosity i revved upto 80kmph in second gear to test the max speed possible and i was surprised to see the fuel supply to the engine was cut-off after 8000rpm by the ECU! The car's speed reduced gradually! Is this the case with all the cars??

damn the ecu always spoils the fun .

Same is the case with 800's ecu.

i used to drive old 800 at 140
but new 800 didnt go beyond 120 , though the present roads are much good than olden road.

Initially i though its a fault , then came the ecu as the reason.

Thread Starter #11
ok. that's fine. thanks guys. keep pouring in any more comments on the topic. dhaya i tried doing the same thing as you did. was able to reach 80+ in the second gear quite easily in about 200 meters distance. but there was no fuel supply cut off. i continued this "act" of mine for about a kilo-meter and everything was fine except that the engine was roaring like hell.

Yes i tried it just once out of curiousity and was surprised to know that the fuel supply was cut-off after 8000rpm on the tachometer!! Will never try it again on my baby!!! [:)]

350Z

Core Team
Yes. It’ll create unwanted strain on the engine (with no gain in performance). That’s the reason why a tachometer is offered in almost all the modern cars. You will soon get accustomed on how to shift the gears just by feeling or hearing it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom