How To Handle 'All Time' High Beam Users?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Why not copy paste "LED high beam assist" idea from your XUV [;)]

But, if that LED throws white light, will it be of use to you in other situ when you need extra light ?
hello Vijay,
as said LED setup Is quite costly and I don't want any external lights on cute i10.
perhaps ill have to work with a DIY led lamp that fits within the gaps in grille and usually hidden unless turned on.

about Led, yes the output us quite fantastic and coverage is Much wider than factory lamps. white light is not a problem though I would've preferred 4k cct.

I have day/night RVM and nothing could be seen in ORVM except lights. When I am not using the RVM in day mode, I am getting severe glare directed towards my face from the rear view mirror. I am not seeing the RVM in the night times even if it's been set to night mode. Also, the low beam light is powerless and that might be the reason for others to use high beam.

But, what needs to be done to avoid high beam users as it creates a lot of eye strain and forces us not to see rear view mirror / ORVM.

High beam lights

The glare caused by high beam lights is precariously blinding on city traffic, even when the streets are well illuminated.
It is observed mostly on chauffeur driven cars who lack the ethics of gentlemanly driving.
And having dust specs on your windshield just adds to more misery.

Any hand signal to indicate such drivers to stop from using such lights, unnecessarily that is?

--Frustrated Kolkata driver.

Re: High beam lights

Any hand signal to indicate such drivers to stop from using such lights, unnecessarily that is?
Yep, the mid*** finger! [lol] Though I agree it is not the most manageable way if you drive with windows rolled up.

I drive in low beam mostly in city and when oncoming traffic/user is coming with high-beams ON, I switch to high beam till the other person lowers his beam, which only 1 in 10 people do.

In September this year when I had just got my Swift, I was driving at night with friends and a Tata Ace was following with beams literally focussed on my ORVMs/eyes. [lol] I let him pass and then followed him closely for around 500m with high beams to teach him a lesson. After some distance he stopped and do did I. I went up to him with one friend and gave him a lecture on using low beam in city and high on highways/when road ahead is empty/no oncoming traffic. After that this guy told that his low beam was like this only, and yes he was driving with low beam only! I was surprised as the cutoff was so high that even the low beam covered my Swift completely. Is this the case with cheaper/commercial vehicles?

Yep, the mid*** finger! [lol] Though I agree it is not the most manageable way if you drive with windows rolled up.

I drive in low beam mostly in city and when oncoming traffic/user is coming with high-beams ON, I switch to high beam till the other person lowers his beam, which only 1 in 10 people do.

In September this year when I had just got my Swift, I was driving at night with friends and a Tata Ace was following with beams literally focussed on my ORVMs/eyes. [lol] I let him pass and then followed him closely for around 500m with high beams to teach him a lesson. After some distance he stopped and do did I. I went up to him with one friend and gave him a lecture on using low beam in city and high on highways/when road ahead is empty/no oncoming traffic. After that this guy told that his low beam was like this only, and yes he was driving with low beam only! I was surprised as the cutoff was so high that even the low beam covered my Swift completely. Is this the case with cheaper/commercial vehicles?

Tata ACE has high pickup too.
It's up for a drag race with an Aventador in Buddh Circuit earlier next year.

After that this guy told that his low beam was like this only, and yes he was driving with low beam only! I was surprised as the cutoff was so high that even the low beam covered my Swift completely. Is this the case with cheaper/commercial vehicles?
DJ Wale Babu you should have asked him about where the high beam points then. Maybe to spot aeroplanes during night or to blind/spot the snipers on rooftops while carrying high cost goods.

I dont complain or flash the high beam users, have long started to accept the reality, rarely i see a vehicle with low beam or someone who dips seeing iam on low beams, when i come across such drivers, it gives a little happiness that there are some sane drivers.

bhvm

Honoured Member
just came back from a small drive with my xuv 500 thunderbolt. interesting enough, not one did dare to use his high beams against me. if he did, he was bashed with very powerful 6000+ lumens high beams!

this made the offender instantly cringe and dip his beams. I was smiling like anything today. after all these months of driving the i10,it's a welcome change and that 'respect' really boosts one up. so yes, it does help if you have a butch, aggressive vehicle. and it helps more to have painful, piercing high beams.

p. s- look at the damm time! I'm crazy to visit TAI anytime, anywhere.

Haryana government has made it mandatory, the fitment of auto-dippers as a road safety measures to all four wheeled transport vehicles in terms of Rule 106 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.

While stating this, an official of the state transport department said on Monday that no four wheeled transport vehicle would be registered by the registering authorities of the state or authorized motor vehicle dealer who are authorized for registration, unless the same is fitted with an auto-dipper compatible with head lamp that complies with the requirement of Rule 106 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.

Source: auto-dippers in vehicles : Haryana orders mandatory fitment of auto-dippers in vehicles - ET Auto

bhvm

Honoured Member
Wow. Thats some news.
Is that for newly made vehicles only? Or existing ones have to be modded?

Its good thing that they have atleast mentioned that existing wiring should not be disturbed. So I guess it will be a relay or PnP based unit.

It's mostly the commercial vehicles that have intolerable high-beams or even low-beams which catch the eye.

When behind me, I usually let them overtake. When in front and I am blinded, I deliberately swerve slightly in their path and slow down, forcing them to slow down as well. I also usually flash my light or high-beam them myself - this is the only time my driving tends to become a bit aggressive .

Top Bottom