How To Drive and Maintain a Petrol Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends please contribute your valuable ideas and suggestions here for maintaining your beloved petrol kid.

well buddy driving & maintaining petrol is not fuss like diesel! you switch on engine and ready to go! [drive]

well buddy driving & maintaining petrol is not fuss like diesel! you switch on engine and ready to go! [drive]

I have one specific question on Petrol cars. There is lot of talk about turbo lag in diesel cars on thread on how to drive and maintenance of Diesel cars. Can same thing (of turbo lag) be seen in petrol cars too ? What I mean is it possible that on certain gear (higher gear) a petrol car does not show acceleration though driver is pushing throttle?

all the petrol hatchbacks, say with 1200cc and below have very low end torque. I will include my Brio in this.

this is in the realms of engine tuning which current car manufacturers compromise for fuel efficiency.

To increase torque is simply to increase the amount of air and fuel burnt with each stroke, in short using half clutch and pressing speed pedal .You have to keep the RPM's high for max acceleration and power in these smaller engines.

I have one specific question on Petrol cars. There is lot of talk about turbo lag in diesel cars on thread on how to drive and maintenance of Diesel cars. Can same thing (of turbo lag) be seen in petrol cars too ? What I mean is it possible that on certain gear (higher gear) a petrol car does not show acceleration though driver is pushing throttle?
Yeah turbo petrol cars have some lag just like diesels. But most turbo petrol cars in india are high performance ones so they dont have that much lag. As nitin said , petrol cars have lower torque(pulling power) compared to diesels and dont pull that well at low RPMs

Will soon take delivery of Maruti Celerio VXi (O) (Manual) this week

After a lot of decision making, I decided against Wagon R and went for the Celerio VXi (O) (MT) model. I am probably going to take delivery by Friday.

I haven't driven a petrol car for ages. In fact, thinking about it, the last petrol car I drove (that too for a short time) is my old Ambassador 1800 ISZ (which I disposed to get Amby 2000 DSL later) in 2011.

Haven't really driven petrol for a long, long time, since even before the short sojourn with the Amby 1800 ISZ (Which is not a typical petrol car experience), we've owned diesel cars in our family for a long time.
Tips on "re-learning" to drive a petrol car would be much appreciated.

Only one tip:
Just enjoy the smoothness, responsiveness and high revving nature of the Celerio. Nothing else is needed to be done, just fill the fuel and keep driving.

And follow the practice just opposite to diesels. In diesels we simply shift up as soon as possible and shift down as late as possible. In the petrol one, simply shift up as late as possible and shift down as soon as possible. Did I mention a lighter clutch and crispier gearbox?

Celerio is a true blue three cylinder tall stroke petrol and it has awesome drivability. The gear shift requirement is really very less and the vehicles pulls cleanly right from 40-45 kph in fifth gear even with 5 on board on flat surface or say 10-20% grad.

Last edited:
Only one tip:
Just enjoy the smoothness, responsiveness and high revving nature of the Celerio. Nothing else is needed to be done, just fill the fuel and keep driving.

And follow the practice just opposite to diesels. In diesels we simply shift up as soon as possible and shift down as late as possible. In the petrol one, simply shift up as late as possible and shift down as soon as possible. Did I mention a lighter clutch and crispier gearbox?

Celerio is a true blue three cylinder tall stroke petrol and it has awesome drivability. The gear shift requirement is really very less and the vehicles pulls cleanly right from 40-45 kph in fifth gear even with 5 on board on flat surface or say 10-20% grad.
Thanks for the tips. I am used to a lot of shifting with diesel cars. I will make the adjustment.

Only one tip:
It has the same engine on the Wagon R right?. I felt Wagon R is very slow and sluggish. what is the case in Celerio?, Till now I didn't get any chance to drive this car.

^^I have driven a Celerio AMT and I felt it more responsive than Swift and Grand i10 in terms of in gear acceleration. The mid range punch is nice in Celerio; maybe the lower kerb weight is responsible. I have never driven a Wagon R 1.0 (have been into one though) hence can't compare the drivability of Celerio with Wagon R.

Top Bottom