How To Become An Automobile Designer?

Thread Starter #1
Hi every one,
I am a 1st year B Tech student of Agriculture and food engineering at IIT Kharagpur. I don't like the way my career is going to be in say 4-5 years from now. I'm very much interested in automobile styling. But my parents are too reluctant to let me leave my college an d pursue my interest full time. They are worried about the career prospects. Could you please give me some solid feed back and sources on that so as to convince them? Also, what is the fee structure at DYPDC and othe such automobile design institutes? Any ideas anyone?????? [confused] :help:

Thread Starter #3
Re: DYPDC - Designing the Future!

:agree:Then is there a way to continue refining my skills so that it doesnt get rusted till i have the time and money to pursue the course full time? I mean any online site that provides paid or unpaid study and practice materials?:help:

350Z

Core Team
I am a 1st year B Tech student of Agriculture and food engineering at IIT Kharagpur. I don't like the way my career is going to be in say 4-5 years from now. I'm very much interested in automobile styling. But my parents are too reluctant to let me leave my college an d pursue my interest full time. They are worried about the career prospects. Could you please give me some solid feed back and sources on that so as to convince them?
Saurav, Welcome to The Automotive India. Don’t even think about quitting IIT. You will eventually realize that it’s going to be a huge advantage in future. You can consider pursuing car designing after completing B.Tech. Just make sure to be in touch with the drawing meanwhile. Keep drawing, drawing and drawing and sharpen those skills. Create a better portfolio; start participating in the car designing competitions and related events. There’s a lucrative scope of career as car designer in the international market but with the condition that you belong to the cream layer which demands for serious efforts. India is also slowly developing in this sector and I see the scope of it only widening in the nearing future.

Also, what is the fee structure at DYPDC and othe such automobile design institutes? Any ideas anyone??????
Unfortunately car design course is still an expensive affair in India. NID is the best bet and of course affordable too. Other renowned institutes that I’m aware about are the DYPDC and DSKISD in Pune. Somehow, I feel that DYPDC is yet to prove itself but DSKISD is the Indian branch of ISD in France. The fee structure for the course is on the higher side. PG in Transportation Design at DSKISD costs somewhere around 14 Lakhs. Do let me know if you need specific details.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks Z for replying.I am a tenth grader cbse students and was passionate about cars from birth. From 5th grade I had set my goal as a car designer. Now five years later I am still want to become a car designer. But I am confused about streams. Can I take this profession with Humanities? Thats what DC design says. But dad is saying i have to get PCM.

Can I do well by settling in India? Will taking PCM boost my career? But what I really want to do is work for ferrari[:)]

why is that I get a feel about youngsters especially Indians, they all want to do same thing yet want to prove they are unique.

Why is our young force unable to think out of box? Something wrong with society or education system?

E.g Myself wanted to do something in my teenage and now I do entirely different thing and of course I laugh at those initial aspirations and I dont mind doing what I do now.
My young brother wanted to be a Historian but he is doing webdesigning !

Hi every one,
I am a 1st year B Tech student of Agriculture and food engineering at IIT Kharagpur. I don't like the way my career is going to be in say 4-5 years from now. I'm very much interested in automobile styling. But my parents are too reluctant to let me leave my college an d pursue my interest full time. They are worried about the career prospects. Could you please give me some solid feed back and sources on that so as to convince them? Also, what is the fee structure at DYPDC and othe such automobile design institutes? Any ideas anyone??????
Well buddy, first of all, leaving an elite institute for something less known is not a good choice.
DYPDC, some three years back(when I took admission in engg.) that time I inquired about it and in fact decided to join it too, but then I took up our business and DYPDC was slowly left behind. Fee is about 16 lac for UG course and 20 lac for PG one., rest college has tie ups with some banks also in case anyone needs a loan.
And the course duration for UG course is 3 years as much I remember.
Rest in case you need more info then kindly put up your questions, I have a friend there from the same time.
BTW, I don't find any reason for spending 30 lac or above in DYPDC, instead I'd recommend you to prepare and try out for IED Turin(In Italy) just get the knowledge of the courses there and the admission procedure and if you are ready to spend 25+ lac amount then don't think of anything else, take the admission, leave everything and go.

Thanks Z for replying.I am a tenth grader cbse students and was passionate about cars from birth. From 5th grade I had set my goal as a car designer. Now five years later I am still want to become a car designer. But I am confused about streams. Can I take this profession with Humanities? Thats what DC design says. But dad is saying i have to get PCM.
10th grader in CBSE!!
I thought you are some 25-30 years old guy.
Since you know what you have to do then why to think too much, just keep on searching for the best college and take the admission when the time comes. Rest as much I know NID is best in India.

Can I do well by settling in India? Will taking PCM boost my career? But what I really want to do is work for ferrari
Go to Turin..Italians are best at designing, maybe you can find some resources there. Here is the link for IED:
www.ied.edu/

why is that I get a feel about youngsters especially Indians, they all want to do same thing yet want to prove they are unique.

Why is our young force unable to think out of box? Something wrong with society or education system?

E.g Myself wanted to do something in my teenage and now I do entirely different thing and of course I laugh at those initial aspirations and I dont mind doing what I do now.
My young brother wanted to be a Historian but he is doing webdesigning !
Well, all I know is that life always keeps on surprises waiting for us. It took me just three months to join the business, while I always wanted to be in automobile sector(wanted to be a test driver). Only a series f events changed everything in just 3 months, else I've never even thought that some day I'll join our business and then politics, but it happened with time.

Last edited:
I knew the age thing would come :p. Thanks for the feedback guys. Will defiantly go to Italy. Any idea about salary?

Top Bottom