How Often Do You Check Tyre Pressures?

How often you check tyre pressure?

• Total voters
The poll has less information. According to my knowledge car tire pressure drops 1 PSI max in a month. So the ideal tire pressure checking is once in a month (if you don’t have digital equipment fitted in car. Like few modern cars does).

So unless any significant air reduces you notice, checking the pressure once in a month is ok. Also I prefer to stick with the manufacturer recommended PSI. So by far with my bikes and car I always fill 1 PSI extra than the recommended one. Like if recommended is 28 I fill 29-30PSI. This way I get little more mileage (maybe) also I fill the air again after two month. But I just prefer 1 or max 2PSI extra than recommended one, as tire has a performance role.

Now a days I’ve a pressure gauge but still I check once in a month, unless I noticed any air loss or tires looks flat than regular.

Hello Experts,

I like to know if this statement is recommended or justifiable ?

Tyre Presure.png

This is from MS Ritz Tyre care & maintenance manual section as you can see. I never knew for High Speed driving tubeless tyre need 5 psi extra air pressure.
Is this true for all car or this kind of recommendation only for Tall Boy car only ?

I usually fill 1 psi extra over recommended value as it is Automatic Pump from Fuel station, they tend to fill little lower & show desired value.

Hopefully I'm in right path.
Please Comment.

The tyre pressure increases due to heat caused by friction of high speed driving. If the tyre is not fully filled with air the same will be occupied by the increased air due to heat. What is written is correct, however due to practical purposes just add 1-2 psi more than the OEM recommended pressure in highway trips.

I use recommended 33 psi on my sx4. Recently, I changed my tyres to Michelin Primacy 3ST. Since they are soft tyres, can I keep 35 psi now. I always use nitrogen only.

I checked my tyre pressure today.
It was between 37 to 40 psi.
This is the first time I am checking after my purchase of the car (about 6 weeks back).
I have gone for one long trip.
My doubt is - how come the pressure is 37 to 40 psi (when the recommended pressure is 32 psi)? Do dealers give overinflated tyres when the vehicle is delivered? The boy at the petrol station who fills air said, it can happen after a long drive - even if it was two weeks back.
I am surprised.
I am also confused by two contradicting posts above - that tyre pressure can increase during long drives in hot conditions - understandable versus what the Ritz manual says - to keep 5 psi higher than recommended.
Glad that I checked it.

Upgraded my stock 155/80/13 JK to 175/70/13 Michelin Tyres.
XM2 is too soft, so I keep 40 and 38psi for the front and rear tyres respectively.

Since my tyres are filled with nitrogen and also which is far more than the recommended pressure, I dont have a habit of checking the tyre pressure using gauges in daily, weekly or even in monthly basis. Instead I just inspect its physical appearance and its riding experience.[:D]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Well, As all my cars have Nitrogen hence once in 2 months get it topped up. The decrease in air pressure with nitrogen in 2 months is only 4-5 points/ Tyre.

I don't have to pay for the top ups as I get 2 top up coupons free.:biggrin:

Regards

Akash

Never over inflate your tyre in case of a highway trip and in summers. The tyre pressure increases on continuous run and may lead to burst tyre.
I agree anshuman8 ... a couple of weeks ago I went from Bangalore to Palakkad for a friends marraige ... and I got the pressure checked at a Krishnagiri fuel pump.. it was 32PSI when I left Krishnagiri.. I reached near Palakkad around 2pm and just refuelled and checked pressure as I felt something odd .. and it turned out that the pressure had increased to 36/38 for all tyres

I agree anshuman8 ... a couple of weeks ago I went from Bangalore to Palakkad for a friends marraige ... and I got the pressure checked at a Krishnagiri fuel pump.. it was 32PSI when I left Krishnagiri.. I reached near Palakkad around 2pm and just refuelled and checked pressure as I felt something odd .. and it turned out that the pressure had increased to 36/38 for all tyres
I am no expert,yet it appears to me due to long run the tyres get heated and consequently the air inside it had inflated. That is the reason for increased tyre pressure. [confused]

I am no expert,yet it appears to me due to long run the tyres get heated and consequently the air inside it had inflated. That is the reason for increased tyre pressure. [confused]
I'm no expert either.. but it feels so that that would be the reason for the higher reading of tyre pressure

From my experience, best checked in the early morning, before using the automobile.

Rolling resistance and contact with the road, increases the pressure leading to mild inaccuracies.

Attempted using nitrogen, as it would be more inert, but believe the difference is minimal as nitrogen is already abundant in the atmosphere.

Hence , conclusion being as many believe driving in India is the equivalent of the formula 1. It would lead to the rationale psi variation is minimal.

Top Bottom