How Long I Can Retain a Well Maintained Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,
My father is having IKON (TDCI) 2007 model, we bought it as the new one, maintaining it excellent condition (apart from minor scratches and a dent). It clocked around 82k on ODO. We are thinkning it of selling it because we are under assumption it will give lot of problem once it crosses 1lac. Is this true?. I want some guidance on this one. My bro is suggesting, we are maintaining it good, so it wont be a problem. (We just enquired to sell it -- the guy who came to evaluate is asking for 3.5 Lac). But we decided to keep it . My dad said once it starts giving the problem then we will think of selling it. Experts please pour your opinion.[confused]

Re: How long I can retain my car if it is well maintained

You can keep a car for as long as you want provided it is serviced and you are able to source parts. I have a Fiat Uno which is almost 15 years old and completed close to 2L kms. There have been cases of cars completing 10L kms. There are a lot of cars from the 1960's still running on the roads.

Thread Starter #3

You can keep a car for as long as you want provided it is serviced and you are able to source parts. I have a Fiat Uno which is almost 15 years old and completed close to 2L kms. There have been cases of cars completing 10L kms. There are a lot of cars from the 1960's still running on the roads.
Thanks P3T3R, I dont want to sell the good condition car and invest double the amount on the next one.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

so it's been 5 years and yes if you maintain it well and just like p3t3p said if the parts are available you can keep it in driving condition for many more years.

i had a 2001 santro which we sold in 2009 and had completed 1,00,000 kilometers. the car was in good shape so we got 1,00,000 rupees for the car. we didn't get any problem in that car but now this can't be true for all those cars out there.

you never know when something will stop working.

Hi Guys,
My father is having IKON (TDCI) 2007 model, we bought it as the new one, maintaining it excellent condition (apart from minor scratches and a dent). It clocked around 82k on ODO. We are thinkning it of selling it because we are under assumption it will give lot of problem once it crosses 1lac. Is this true?. I want some guidance on this one. My bro is suggesting, we are maintaining it good, so it wont be a problem. (We just enquired to sell it -- the guy who came to evaluate is asking for 3.5 Lac). But we decided to keep it . My dad said once it starts giving the problem then we will think of selling it. Experts please pour your opinion.[confused]
Actually speaking 3.5 lakhs is a great amount for a 5 years old ikon . But I would suggest if there is no problem in the car as of now don't sell it use it as long as it serves you well . Ikon is a wonderful car . My freind recently sold a ford fiesta 2008 model tdci for 4.5 lakhs in very good condition in mumbai so 3.5 lakhs is a great amount you are getting .

350Z

Core Team
We just enquired to sell it -- the guy who came to evaluate is asking for 3.5 Lac
Your car seems to be exceptionally well kept to fetch that value. Would love to check out some snaps.

We are thinkning it of selling it because we are under assumption it will give lot of problem once it crosses 1lac. Is this true?
It’s a personal call. Fords are usually known to be reliable enough but of course, some repairs are certain as the car begins to age.

My dad said once it starts giving the problem then we will think of selling it.
You have option to either enjoy the great resale value or the experience with car. Personally, I would opt for latter and support your dad’s opinion.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I'd suggest you to sell the car as the value you are getting in unbelievable, really. Moreover, IKON's 100K service itself is very costly. Though Ikon's TDCi heart is a sturdy unit but if at all it starts demanding attention then it usually turns out to be very expensive to maintain. 3.5 lac is an awesome offer. Think again.

freakdude.

Don't sell it because it will give problem later on. Sell it because you are bored or wants to upgrade.

I have seen late 90s up and running in good numbers. It more to do with the time and money you would like to spend on your Car.

Don't sell it.

Thread Starter #10

I'd suggest you to sell the car as the value you are getting in unbelievable, really. Moreover, IKON's 100K service itself is very costly. Though Ikon's TDCi heart is a sturdy unit but if at all it starts demanding attention then it usually turns out to be very expensive to maintain. 3.5 lac is an awesome offer. Think again.

freakdude.
Thanks freak dude, i will check with service centre to know about approx cost for 100 k service and decide on this

Don't sell it because it will give problem later on. Sell it because you are bored or wants to upgrade.

I have seen late 90s up and running in good numbers. It more to do with the time and money you would like to spend on your Car.

Don't sell it.
Your car seems to be exceptionally well kept to fetch that value. Would love to check out some snaps.
i have only one image with me right now, the pic taken some 2 months back.
he is my dad along with the ride

Actually speaking 3.5 lakhs is a great amount for a 5 years old ikon . But I would suggest if there is no problem in the car as of now don't sell it use it as long as it serves you well . Ikon is a wonderful car . My freind recently sold a ford fiesta 2008 model tdci for 4.5 lakhs in very good condition in mumbai so 3.5 lakhs is a great amount you are getting .
Sorry all, its 2009 january model.

Attachments

Bharthi

Car looks to be very well maintained, scratch free !! getting such a good vehicle in the market is not very easy as this model seems to be stopped by Ford now.

If you really love your car and enjoy driving it, then you can always keep it and maintain it properly.

As others side, any vehicle will have some problems with its age, but main thing is that its engine health. So, please check the present engine condition with a good Ford mechanic and take a decision based on that !!

Since it is a diesel one, with present fuel cost scenario, it will fetch you good price at any point of time I hope[:)]

Thread Starter #12
Thanks gurralla. I also feels the same. I will check with ford mechanic when i go home next time and update. If I decide to keep it i have some work on that. cabin noise is huge. I need to find a way to reduce it.

Thanks gurralla. I also feels the same. I will check with ford mechanic when i go home next time and update. If I decide to keep it i have some work on that. cabin noise is huge. I need to find a way to reduce it.
I hope the location of the picture was in God's own country. I liked it so much and he is your father I hope, it went well with Ford Icon and a elder man with a traditional white dress and greenish back drop !![clap]

This car used to be my dream car way back in 2004, the Ford Icon NXT model, black color. But later on when I decided to upgrade from my M800 in 2011, I checked this, was little disappointed that I legs were not very comfortable in driving seat( I am 5' 10" with long legs [:)]) and also I have to prepare my self to bend and sit in the driving seats due to its height, so I have opted for a tall boy hatchback. But whenever I see one on the road, feeling like owning one !!

Last edited:
I use a Tata Indigo car (Petrol/MPFI, GLX model), which is my only car. It is eight year old, has run over 83000 KM and still puts many of the much younger cars behind in a city drive. The only problem is that in spite of my best efforts, I can not prevent some rust formation in the body. I now have come to believe that with these Tata cars these rusting may be controlled but can not be totally prevented. Procuring parts till now is not very difficult and I maintain it properly, as I do not plan to sell it for another four years. I think I have to scrap it then, as resell value will be practically nil.

Top Bottom