How Frequent Engine Oil to be Changed?

Thread Starter #1
Now-a-days different mechanics suggests different things. Everytime I take my car for a service the mechanics tells me to change engine oil. As far I remember I changed my Engine oil 6 months ago. I use my car very less and that also only within the city. Do I need to change my car engine oil every 6 months? Please suggest.

Thanking you

Regards

Actually the necessity to change the engine oil depends on how many kilosmetres your car has run . Typically in case of petrol engines , if we use a mineral base lubricant , we should change the engine oil at around 5000 kms to 5500 kms . In case synthetic base lubricant , some where between 7000 kms to 8000 kms .

Now given any type of lubricant , mineral or synthetics , there are mainly two parts , one is the base and other is the additives . The base component remains comparatively unchanged chemically , it's the chemical nature of the additives which deplete over time . So it's best to change your engine oil , after a period of 2 yrs . But it's not necessary to change your engine oil after every 6 months .

Those service centre guys ask to change the lubricant every 6 months just to sell their stock . Simple tip ; next time when they ask , simply say that you will bring your own lubricant , and you will see they will loose all interest in changing the oil . And I say this from experience [:)]

Dive Safe

Spinner-Wheelz

I have a similar query, I use my 800 only on weekends for something like 100kms on sat & sun. Otherwise, once in two days I take it out to nearby places (1 or 2km). I dont drive more than 400kms in a month. What should be my oil change frequency? Also my car is 16yrs old.

Hi ss80 ,

Let's do a simple calculation . Your car runs 400 kms a month . Multiply 400 by 12 months , so the annual running of your car is 4800 kms . So you can change the engine lubricant after say 12 to 14 months .

Now important thing to consider is that to check the colour of the engine oil from time to time . If it gets black soon , we need to check the engine for carbon deposits . Also change the oil filter with MGP one every time you change the oil .

Most important , use proper grade of oil specified by Maruti .

Pay attention to the level of engine by using the dipstick . Given your car is 16 years old , but could be some sort of leakage or extra consumption of oil .

Drive Safe

Spinner-Wheelz

The frequency of engine oil change is specified in the owners manual. It is x number of Kilometers or y number of months, whichever comes earlier. Eg. 10000 Kms or 6 months. So if you complete 10000 Kms in 5 months, you have to change the oil. Or if you have completed 5000 Kms but 6 months have passed since your last oil change, you still have to change the oil.

Whether you run the car or not oil should be replaced within 12 months or 5000 kms for mineral oil and 24 months or 10000 kms for synthetics. This is just a safe limit (mentioned in the manuals) but the frequency may be increased or decreased depending on the actual condition of the oil (black, milky, frothy, viscosity etc..)

So how is your 16 year old all japan f8b doing :wink:

Whether you run the car or not oil should be replaced within 12 months or 5000 kms for mineral oil and 24 months or 10000 kms for synthetics. This is just a safe limit (mentioned in the manuals) but the frequency may be increased or decreased depending on the actual condition of the oil (black, milky, frothy, viscosity etc..)

So how is your 16 year old all japan f8b doing :wink:
Not necessarliy. Earlier Maruti's (Zen, 800 etc) had a 5K interval. Fiat's had a 7.5 K interval. Most cars now have a 10K interval. VW Skoda have a 15K interval.

Top Bottom