How Do You Wax / Polish Your Car?

How do you Wax/Polish you Car

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

Please do advice, how do you Wax/ Polish your Car.

I've been using various Waxes, and by Hand application only. I've heard that, for WAX Application, Machines should be used. But not every one has and can use the Machines to do the Waxing...

Firstly, Polish is a terrible thing to use regularly on your car as it is essentially an abrasive which gradually wears away your clearcoat. This leaves you with nothing but flat, rough paint over time. Look around on the road and you often see cars that have been victimized by this! I use rubbing compound (Which is also an abrasive) very rarely to remove blemishes, oxidation or to prepare an area for touch-up paint.

I'd say the best way to wax a vehicle is with your hands. Not only does it give you a much more even coat (since you can feel your way around the panels), but I personally find it a very pleasurable activity (Maybe I'm a bit weird)!

Wash your car very thoroughly with a mild car shampoo and dry with a chamois/microfiber beforehand. Then slap on some clean gloves (I prefer Nitrile) and massage the wax in panel by panel as your work your way around the vehicle. By the time you get back to the panel you started at, the wax should be hazing and you can gently wipe off the excess with a chamois/microfiber. I like to go over with a second coat of wax as well to ensure I don't miss any spots.

Hope this helps you in your pursuit!

Thread Starter #4
I apply Wax by a foam, and allow it to dry, then rub it off with a Cotton cloth.
But I'm sure it doesn't gives the actual Wax effect.. any suggestion on how to apply wax in a better manner, ??

I apply Wax by a foam, and allow it to dry, then rub it off with a Cotton cloth.
But I'm sure it doesn't gives the actual Wax effect.. any suggestion on how to apply wax in a better manner, ??
If by "Wax effect" you mean a deep gloss, please read the method I mentioned in my previous comment. If you find it interesting, you may wish to try it!

I'd say the main issue is that you're rubbing it off with a rougher cloth. The excess wax should powder off even by blowing on it! By rubbing you also remove most of the layer of wax. If the layer is too tough to gently brush off with a Microfiber/Chamois cloth, you need to apply a thinner layer. Remember, multiple thin coats is always better than one thick coat!

Thread Starter #7
Thank Viru !!! I guess i was applying it Wrong till now ! I Used apply a medium Layer and rub it with some pressure to get it off !!!,

When I rub wax I use two microfiber towel. One is to buff and second is to simply polish to make it more shine. If you use same towel for all the panels then towel will have more wax stick to it so it will reduce your buffing effect. So I keep two towels to make it better. When you polish with little pressure with the second towel then you can quickly see the shine on the body. I also agree that multiple thin layers are good over single thick layer. I have recently tried doing that. First I use collinite 845 and then after 24 hours I use turtle wax. I am not sure whether it is the right way to do it or not. But as per my observation collinite is very strong and it can stick to the body of the car very long time while turtle wax is good at the glossy shine so I do it over collinite. I am open for the opinions from the expert.

Thread Starter #9
So, what I learned is :

1. Apply a thing layer of Turtle wax on Car
2. Use 1 cloth for buffing, without applying any Pressure
3. Use 2nd cloth to make it shine

So, what I learned is :

1. Apply a thing layer of Turtle wax on Car
2. Use 1 cloth for buffing, without applying any Pressure
3. Use 2nd cloth to make it shine
Swadesh,

While buffing you need to put some pressure otherwise access wax will not get removed and there will be residue. When you use 2nd cloth at that time you need to put lesser pressure than buffing. Buffing will require more pressure according to which wax you use and how long it has been hazing. In my case collinite 845 requires much pressure to buff than turtle wax. 2nd cloth is to just make the car shine. It is same concept as polishing the shoes. If you have observed then people use cloths after polish the shoes to make it shine. Same concept applies to car wax too. [:)]

Thread Starter #12
Swadesh,

While buffing you need to put some pressure otherwise access wax will not get removed and there will be residue. When you use 2nd cloth at that time you need to put lesser pressure than buffing. Buffing will require more pressure according to which wax you use and how long it has been hazing. In my case collinite 845 requires much pressure to buff than turtle wax. 2nd cloth is to just make the car shine. It is same concept as polishing the shoes. If you have observed then people use cloths after polish the shoes to make it shine. Same concept applies to car wax too. [:)]
Thanks dear :) will surely try this Weekend[:)]

How to apply thin layer, because wax is in paste form and specially at the starting position lot of wax get settled at one portion. Which requires lot of effort for buffing later on [frustration].

Swadesh,

How to apply thin layer, because wax is in paste form and specially at the starting position lot of wax get settled at one portion. Which requires lot of effort for buffing later on [frustration].
Use the most important tools in the evolution of mankind - your hands! Not only will your body heat help soften paste wax more, but you will be able to feel the thickness and consistency of the wax you are applying.

Slap on a pair of clean gloves if you don't hand to get your hands dirty and/or inadvertently eat car wax! [;)]

I would say Polish- I think all refersto the polymer coating or teflon coating ,that is to be done by machine,else it will leave swirl marks all over the surface.(Lasts upto 6 months)

Wax- Liquids, It just acts as a layer (Temporary),for 2 weeks - 1 month depending on contact with external agents, it also wears off.Can be done at home.
One thing i felt was, Wax can guard teflon for quite sometime,but the teflon layer though degrades slowly.

I use microfibre towel to do waxing , I do at 1 month interval.

Last edited:

Top Bottom