How Do You Hold the Steering - One Hand or Two Hands?

I normally hold the steering tightly ( not too much) with two hands in 9-3 position. I lift my left hand only for changing gears etc. So far my knowledge is concerned two hand drive is safest one. My coach told me to hold it 10-2 position but afterwards I changed it to 9-3. I think taking a U-turn or cornering there is no hard and fast rule that how you will hold the wheel, it depends on your personal practice and comfort. But probably turning with palm in one hand is a bit risky one, specially for a newbie.

@jalex I agree with your two hands on steering always with 9-3 position.
But two things really worry me is, don't sit near to steering. Always you need to sit in such a way that your wrist should touch the steering wheel from your sitting position. How do I put it in better sentence, anything in your arm before wrist section shouldnot reach wheel from your sitting position. You need to maintain this distance for safety.
The other thing is I never cross my hands while turning. They say it will break your hand, when you cross your hand and airbag is deployed.

Correct me, if I'm worng. But I agree with you, that we should have both of our hand on wheel, unless we change gears.

Drive safe!
By sitting close I dont literally mean I'm some inches away from the wheel. I meant that I dont sit that far, which makes my arms straight while holding the wheel. I always keep my arms bent, at some 100 degrees for better control.

You're arms should be bent 120 degrees ideally. Stretched out arms offer less maneuverability. The stretched out arms posture work in countries where the roads are mostly arrow straight and where unexpected things dont happen that commonly like it happens here in India on the roads.

Our roads are more demanding and nerve wrecking than a rally stage from what I've experinced.

zengetz

Suspended
The idea is to be seated comfortably with extended arms and wrists relaxed on the steering wheel. 10-2 holding position is ideal and never cross hands when manoeuvring a turn.

Last edited:
1 hand or both hands, it depends upon how skilled driver you are. It is very natural thing to adopt the driving skill as per one's liking. On long highway run i generally prefer right hand on steering and left hand on arm rest. Dont know is this good practice but i feel very comfortable drving in this position. Then it also depends upon steering wheel whether it light or hard.
One more interesting thing which i want to share here. My driving school teacher didnt allow me to use shooes or chapplas while training. He said you will not get judgement about how much you have to press the brake or accelator. Effect of this, i still drive my car with bare foot. What will call this? Is it good practice?

I am driving with one hand (right hand) at a position between 1 & 2 as in a clock.

Today after reading this thread, I was trying with both hands 9-3 position but found it not comfortable for me and also was difficult to handle.

So I am continuing with one hand with left hand on stand by for additional support during U turn, sharp curves and just as a support sometimes.

I am driving with one hand (right hand) at a position between 1 & 2 as in a clock.

Today after reading this thread, I was trying with both hands 9-3 position but found it not comfortable for me and also was difficult to handle.

So I am continuing with one hand with left hand on stand by for additional support during U turn, sharp curves and just as a support sometimes.
I noticed today i go one hand when the roads are narrow & speeds are crawling ,my hand is usually on the hand break,as i am under the habit of keeping the car in neutral & applying the hand break when still in traffic,under crawling city driving condition its fine ,but when your speeds are up two hands are the way to go!

I remember an incident some months ago when i was travelling on the highway at 4 early morning,i was doing 120 plus all the time as i knew the road well & roads were empty,for more than an hour i had not relaxed my concentration,then for a few seconds i took one hand off the wheel & to my horror there was someones black coloured pet dog in the right hand lane(sniffing something on the road i assume [:)] ),with one hand i had to shift lanes towards the extreme left,it was like pulling a u-turn at 120 & straightening the wheel immediately,it made me realize how important it is to keep both hands on the wheel,you cannot give instant steering respond with one hand,well atleast not as well when you have both hands on.

I noticed today i go one hand when the roads are narrow & speeds are crawling ,my hand is usually on the hand break,as i am under the habit of keeping the car in neutral & applying the hand break when still in traffic,under crawling city driving condition its fine ,but when your speeds are up two hands are the way to go!

I remember an incident some months ago when i was travelling on the highway at 4 early morning,i was doing 120 plus all the time as i knew the road well & roads were empty,for more than an hour i had not relaxed my concentration,then for a few seconds i took one hand off the wheel & to my horror there was someones black coloured pet dog in the right hand lane(sniffing something on the road i assume [:)] ),with one hand i had to shift lanes towards the extreme left,it was like pulling a u-turn at 120 & straightening the wheel immediately,it made me realize how important it is to keep both hands on the wheel,you cannot give instant steering respond with one hand,well atleast not as well when you have both hands on.
Whatever you do, never do 120Kmph on Indian Roads and always stick to speed limits. You were real lucky, If you had gone into a skid with that maneuver, not even ten hands could have saved you and you would have killed yourself by now. Please do not over speed, No matter how deserted and safe the roads seem to be. Even closed rally stages are never totally safe.

Last edited:
BTW am using one hand to drive.the other rests on the gear knob.i didn't feel any trouble while taking a u-turn or overtaking.May be its wrong but its feel uncomfortable to me when using both hands[clap].

zengetz

Suspended
Sorry but views here are more inclined towards holding with one hand. It may be of convenience but rule of thumb is both hands on steering period.

Involuntarily, one hand does the manoeuvring while the other hand keeps the steering in control.

lxi.

Suspended
Who is the trainer buddy.

Even i learnt driving with two hands for the first time (i didn't feel the need to upsshift from 2nd gear).

I drive with one hand in city and while taking turns (U turns or sharp turns), i use the 2nd hand also otherwise it rests on the gear knob.

On highways, i shift to 5th gear and keep both my hands on the bottom most part of the steering near my belly.

Whatever you do, never do 120Kmph on Indian Roads and always stick to speed limits. You were real lucky, If you had gone into a skid with that maneuver, not even ten hands could have saved you and you would have killed yourself by now. Please do not over speed, No matter how deserted and safe the roads seem to be. Even closed rally stages are never totally safe.
Very true,as a rule of thumb it is said & observed at night if you are above 80 -90km/hr if you can see from your high beams any obstacles you cannot stop in time,heard of innovas slamming into broken down trucks in the middle of the highway(night) cos they were at around 100 & could not stop in time,i feel 120 during day is fine on a road where opposite lanes are separated considering you look far ahead while driving & have some self set of rules.

Top Bottom