How Do You Drive On Inclined Steeps?

:agree:I use the same way while driving on hilly terrains like ghats.

@ilango: The method mentioned by you is also correct but not for very steep slopes as already mentioned in your post.

The thing is , if i am in driver seat i dont actually command my mind to do that and this, All happens automatically , may be it comes due to practice.

The very steep slope that i have climbed is in kodaikanal , to a private bunglow there. The gate was open and i though it was a road and the steep was so huge. I some how entered and only to find a huge house there. It must be say a 60 degree slope. just laying another tar road on them make them 90, he he

this happens with everybody. I think when each of us are on our driving seats, the feet automatically tackles all the hurdles and slopes as we are practiced to do in our daily lives. So tackle the slopes the way you are comfortable with.

yeah

i remember 5 years back when i was at license test , the rto asked me to drive and then stop in a inclination. and then move forward. i took it in 2nd gear itself , he asked me to stop again and said i was wrong , though i drove perfectly. The mistake was i didnt change to 1st gear. The car was our own 18year old omni.

Well,on that note I would like to know from you and Ilango that on how much degree of inclination have you driven or usually drive??

Because practically you cant practice the way Ilango mentioned on inclination like 60-65 degrees or even less also for an uphill drive, for downhill drive it is possible.

Reason:-

Suppose your vehicle is on a slope of 60-65 degrees or anything around it,if you start your vehicle and keep your left foot on clutch and your right foot totally on brake,both totally pressed down,in 1st gear, then as you release the clutch gradually and as soon as you feel the change in sound of the engine at which the engine is going to turn the gear,at this point if the engine rpm is not sufficient and equal to the threshold rpm required to turn the wheel then the engine will stop with jerk,therefore you have to go by as I said before that you have to press the accelerator with your right heel and press the brake with your right toe.This way you can maintain the required rpm for the gear and move the car smoothly.

Moreover suppose if the slope is not too steep at which higher rpm is not required then also it is risky in case of high traffic roads where the vehicle behind you is just a few inches behind, suppose if you rest your right foot totally on brake ,then as Ilango described, if you take your foot totally from the brake and then press the accelerator to move forward then the fraction of time between the release of brake and engage of accelerator will result in either the vehicle will roll a bit backwards until you engage the accelerator and your vehicle may hit the vehicle behind you or your engine may stop due to lack of threshold rpm which is required to turn the wheel.

I hope now my point is clear to you.
The "heel tech thing" can be useful when the car is on highly inclined surfaces.

On such surfaces leaving the " clutch half " & then shifting your leg to press the accelerator doesn't help. The car stalls & rolls back.
I'm not sure about the incline degrees. But never felt the need of extra acceleration in Swift and Logan, the two cars i've driven to hill stations. And also you can't exactly do the heel and toe in all cars, due to height difference of pedal.

this happens with everybody. I think when each of us are on our driving seats, the feet automatically tackles all the hurdles and slopes as we are practiced to do in our daily lives. So tackle the slopes the way you are comfortable with.

I agree with Akash.
There are always some specific rules and safety directions for various works, but one should do it in the way one feel comfortable and confident of.

@Illango,No issuse friend, if you are comfortable and confident of the technique you use,then go by it.
-----------Next Post-----------
And also you can't exactly do the heel and toe in all cars, due to height difference of pedal.
well I dont agree with you on this friend, the height difference of pedal doesnt matter,I have driven SUVs,Sedans,Hatchbacks and even a mini-truck of TATA once in Hills,for a try.I have used the same technique in all and it worked at its best.

Last edited:
It depends upon my mood. Most of the time I do heel toeing. But when I am in a hurry, I'll be using hand brake technique.:biggrin:
ok. but how come the manual quotes this? i'll scan it and post if possible.
I think they meant to do this when you park your car in a downhill. You have to engage in reverse gear and put the hand brake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they meant to do this when you park your car in a downhill. You have to engage in reverse gear and put the hand brake.
May be thats the point.[:)]
It depends upon my mood. Most of the time I do heel toeing. But when I am in a hurry, I'll be using hand brake technique.:biggrin:
I will request you not to take chances with safety,friend

Last edited:
Was reading thru the various inputs ... had to suppress a smile at the gradeability claims of some ...
The attached image might help slay some tall claims ... most vehicles available on Indian roads do not have gradeability beyond 20 Deg., The Jonga is know had 30 deg, and the big brute ... the Hummer supposedly had 60.
Can we have realistic claims now?
[:)]

Attachments

Sure Aditya, I would like to show you something realistic.I dont think there is anything realistic proof of my claim other than that I personally show you and all others from TAI ,whoever is interested to check out the viability of my claim.I invite all to Mizoram.Let us have a meet there in a date and time comfortable to all ,interested.I have no issues.I will be glad to prove myself and my claims.

Firstly, the pictorial description shown by you does not show something concrete proof for your data,there is no model names mentioned.Secondly, just knowing anything theoritical is different and when you apply the same thing on practical grounds, its quite different.I dont think you get any other proven grounds to check your datas,practically, other than the roads in Himalayan Ranges and North-East hills ,in all over India.
Ya.. Now I use hand brake technique very rarely..[:)]
Thank you Blackbeauty,Glad to hear that [:D]

Last edited:
@Aditya:I dont think it is rare that you get roads of 60-65degrees to drive in hilly places I mentioned.
I would like to give you one example:-

The road to the tiger hill in Darjeeling is nearly 62degrees(approx),hope many of us here have went there.

Last edited:

Top Bottom