How Do You Clean Your Car?

^^ Microfiber cloth would be best with some colin. I have seen people using paper and its proven to be one of the best ways but somehow I cant stand paper, it gives me that funny irritating feeling.

Edit : I use microfiber cloth to clean my glass too.
Thanks for the Input [cheers]

Drive Safe
Santosh.V

Currently I am using following items.
Can somebody suggest what and all extra I need for a decent car care.
And my observation after car wash. Some of the tar/oil marks remain on the body.[surprise]
How to remove them effectively? Can some one give advise on that?

How To Clean a Car?

Dear friends, I need a little help about cleaning my car. Today for the first time I gave my car a bath but even after 3 hours of struggle could not do much. I have encountered the following difficulties:-

1. Initially I had put water all over my car to remove the dust and bird droppings. Then I wiped the dirty areas with a piece of cloth to remove the dirt. Finally I washed the whole body with water. But still there are certain dried up dirt which is not going. How to remove them?

2. After washing the body, when I tried to wipe the glass the water droplets were not going. So now the glass has got muddy water marks on it. How to clean the glass properly?

3. Is it necessary to use shampoo to clean the car? Which shampoo should I use, where can I find it and how much does it cost?

4. While washing the bonnet I tried to open it but could not. It seems it got stuck somewhere inside. How to open it? Lots of water and dry leaves has seeped in and I could not wipe it because I could not open the bonnet. Will that make a problem?

5. How to clean the tires?

6. I had gone to a petrol bunk to get the red coloured cloth, which they were calling as "shining cloth". Is it the same as micro fiber cloth? I could not find red colour cloth in Indian Oil petrol bunk. I finally got some soft orange coloured cloth, the type generally used to wipe computers/ laptops but it didn't serve the purpose well. Which is the appropriate cloth, where do they sell it and how much does it cost?

Please help.

Re: How To Clean a Car?

Hi Brutus,

Very happy to see your care & concern toward cleaning your car.

I will give a try to answer your questions in the same sequence.

1. Never put water on a car with dirt on it, first you have to dust the dirt on car with a dry cloth once major portion of dust is removed then its advisable to out water.

2. While cleaning glass keep 2 clean multi fiber cloths handy, wet one & other should be dry, as soon as u wipe the glass with wet one without much delay you have to clean the glass with the dry cloth or it results in the dull surface as u mentioned.

3 Yes! take a bucket of water dilute shampoo then dip a clean cloth & start cleaning the body of your car starting from top to bottom, be sure u dip the cloth as it gets dirty, wipe it in circular motion for any bird dropping u find. You can find some good brands available in market.

4. Bonnet will have a latch mechanism please refer to owners manual to get a better knowledge, I would prefer not interfering into too much bonnet if you are a novice on the components, if you are well aware what is what you can consider cleaning bonnet.

5. For Tyres again there is a solution which is available in market, when I get my car serviced the SA advised its some diesel solution which will act on any tuf stains on tyres, but its attracts dust soon too..

6. The orange shining cloth is not micro fiber & its advisable not to use it since it leaves its residue after cleaning. One best example which resembles multi fiber cloth is, IF you remember your school days, the cloth which we used to pack in our lunch baskets:) that resembles multi fiber cloth.

Hope this helps.

Drive Safe
Santosh.V

Thanks a lot. That would be very helpful. But While cleaning the car lots of water and dirt has gone inside the bonnet. What to do about that?

Thanks a lot. That would be very helpful. But While cleaning the car lots of water and dirt has gone inside the bonnet. What to do about that?
No need to worry much about that, There is a channel through which the water will flow out of the engine bay. And have you managed to open the bonnet to take a look yet?

No, I could not open the bonnet. When I pull the lever from inside it opens but once I try to lift up the bonnet it gets stuck to something from inside.[confused][confused]

No, I could not open the bonnet. When I pull the lever from inside it opens but once I try to lift up the bonnet it gets stuck to something from inside.[confused][confused]
As we say here "Bhai neeche ek chhota sa hook hota hai(there is a small hook type something under the hood)"
Okay take it this way:-
Pull the lever and the bonnet will open up.Now put your hand just above the grille inside the gap that will be built there(after the bonnet is opened),somewhere above the 'S' logo there is a small hook type structure under the bonnet,just move it with your fingers and lift the bonnet.And if you can't then its simple "ASK FOR HELP"...

Good to know that you are interested in car care and ready to spend time for that.

Cleaning the car with passion is a real time consuming job.

Last sunday, I spend 7 hours for cleaning and polishing my car and still interior cleaning was pending.

In summer, it is better to dust the car with a soft cotton cloth to begin with. Soft Cloth should be of sufficient size (say 3 feet x 3 feet) so as to glide smoothly over the paint surface to remove dust without causing scratches. (You can also search for a Jopasu car duster which should be available in some shops in Bangalore)

Then go for washing with water. You need a washing agent - a simple hair shampoo (1 sachet in one bucket of water) will do. Can look for car shampoos in some car interior shops or Amway car shampoo also. Car shampoos will cost Rs 250 - 300 for a bottle which should last for 15 to 20 washes. Hair shampoo also will do the job. Use a soft cotton cloth or a micro fibre cloth.

Wash the car with upper part first and then lower part. If dirt is more then rinse the cloth in a seperate bucket each time.

Same shampoo water can be used for wheel covers and tyre too as of now. Use a seperate cloth for tyres and bottom part.

Then apply water liberally either using a pipe or with a bucket and mug.

Allow it to drain and dry and then use a soft cotton cloth (or micro fibre cloth) to wipe off.

For glass, use colin - liquid cleaner used for domestic cleaning. Just spray colin in the glass surface and wipe of with a soft cloth. For small areas and to avoid colin getting sprayed in to paint surface, spray it to cloth piece and then wipe it on the glass surface.

Don't use that orange cloth. Instead a soft cotton cloth can be used.
Micro Fibre cloth should be available in some super markets. Check the baskets and shelfs in Big Bazzar, Reliance or Total where they keep kitchen cleaning towels. You can can see Microfibre written in the packet.

350Z

Core Team

No, I could not open the bonnet. When I pull the lever from inside it opens but once I try to lift up the bonnet it gets stuck to something from inside.
There's a small lever beneath the hood cover in middle. Just pull it along upwards and safely connect with the small rod on the left. You should refer to the ownership manual to learn the basic information about the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i begin by wash my tires and alloys first.
1. wet the tires with water, take prill(yeah its the cheap thing works well) Put it on a scrubbing brush and scrub the tires and let it sit while i use another brush to get into the spokes and clean the alloys and finally a thin paint brush(specially for this work) and clean in between the nuts. And spray some degreaser into the wheel arches and let sit.
2. then i rinse my tires and alloys and repeat step one for the tires again and rinse of(have to do it or else the tire shine and dirt doesn't come of well) and use a garden hose to rinse of the wheel arches after scrubbing it.
3. Pour water over the cars body, then take a bucket and pour some car shampoo and using a mf cloth start from the top of the car. Then use another paint brush dipped in shampoo solution to clean between the badges,logos and grilles.
4. rinse of and dry with a microfibre or a chamois cloth.

if a waxing is in mind i let the car dry for 20 minutes after wiping of. Since my car is fairly new with less to no swirls, i don't use a polish compound right now. I use a stronger car wash shampoo to get rid of any oil deposits.

Well my chauffy never take so much pain in cleaning the car,what he does is:-
Get the car cleaned thoroughly outside once a month or two and after that he just uses two cloths and running water.
With his left hand moves the pipe across the car and with his right hand moves the cloth and within 15-20 minuted the car starts gleaming again.
And his technique works very well too.This is a pic from today itself(taken just 10 minutes back) of my car(about 30k kms old now):-

Attachments

well, i neither use too much car products or either use the orthodox way. haha

first, i give a whole water bath with hose pipe then in a bucket with car shampoo, put soap on the car with a cloth. preferred an old shirt. but 2 times. then wash it off. then clean alloys. then dry the car with an old shirt. then polish interior. thats it. but i havent waxed my car since 2-3 years hence now my car has lost its shine. i feel quite sad for it.

Top Bottom