How Classic / Vintage Vehicles Are Allowed To Be Driven on Roads?

Thread Starter #1
hi guys well this may sound a silly question but plz tell me!

as far as i know there is some time limit like 15 years made by our govt laws after which old car can not be run onto streets but how do vintages and classic cars etc which are more than hundered years old still allowed to be freely driven on streets??

Well thats true but after 15 years we have to pay some amount in RTO and renew something , after this we can continue driving again!! I don know the exact process and procedure involved but this is what i heard from one of my friend who had a 15 year old M800!!

Maybe somebody else can explain about the exact procedure!!

May be after 15 years, all cars becomes Vintage Classics.[thinking]

Even i am waiting somebody to answer this. Good Question Umang.

But am pretty sure that we have to get some certificate from RTO after 15 years!! My friend having a M800 sold his car in order to avoid all the hassles after 15 years!

We have to take an FC (Fitness Certificate) from RTO after completion of 15 years.. It's valid for 5 years. Every year we have to renew that. For that, obviously we haveto show that our car is fit to run on road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arun

Suspended
Nice question Umang. In addition, what about the emissions? Now that the BS-IV kicking in, aren't the vintages 'polluting'

And yes, what blackbeauty said is right.. :)

Oh for every one year we have to renew again??

Now i understand why my friend sold his car after 15 years , i cant imagine spending a whole day in RTO for getting that FC , it must be mighty difficult!!

Well thats true but after 15 years we have to pay some amount in RTO and renew something , after this we can continue driving again!! I don know the exact process and procedure involved but this is what i heard from one of my friend who had a 15 year old M800!!

Maybe somebody else can explain about the exact procedure!!
I think that amount is Pasumai(Green) Tax. Remember paying for our old Amby.
After 15 years FC should be done and tax is paid. Then after, FC should be done every 5 years for private vehicles.

Thread Starter #11
thanks guys but i think case for more than 15 year old cars and for vintages (100+ years old) must be different. aren't there any vintage car owners at TAI??

Yes that is true , after 15 year you must get a fc , that is valid for another 5 years ,

But the real thing thing is many just paint and drive there , the rto's are dumb , they dont check engine quality and other parts holding the wheels , suspensions etc.

we took for our omni.

Vintage status is achieved if the car is rare / stopped of production long back and still running in good condition. More valve is there if its still in original parts with no swap of engine or any other thing.

Papers procedure is simple , must have original record(if lost rto's duplicate of it) and fc is taken in same way every 5 years.

this is the reason for some of maharaja's car lying rusted in museum. they come under vintage section but not in perfect condition.

This above information was given to me by one of my relative who came here in the vintage rally here!

Thread Starter #13
buddy i think your right but you said papers should be original then what about those people who pick vintages from scrapyard? restore and use in rallies ? hope they have no papers at all!

ilango[speed thirst];28750 said:
Yes that is true , after 15 year you must get a fc , that is valid for another 5 years ,

But the real thing thing is many just paint and drive there , the rto's are dumb , they dont check engine quality and other parts holding the wheels
The RTO's are not that dumb,they take bribe for everything starting from when you buy a new car and get it registered. Its a huge racket coupled with the RTO agents and they do anything like if they are paid for it. Just like in the movie 'Indian'.

ilango i think you are right but you said papers should be original then what about those people who pick vintages from scrapyard, restore it and then use in rallies etc? because they have no papers at all i assume!
If at all no papers means , you should get sign from the source , else he must show his source , and in this chain one must admit that he lost his rc and must apply and get proper one. Else cant be driven in road and not eligible for vintage shows and rallied

And yes as in 'indian' fims show something , pay up and he'll himself form a history and give you the certificates , no one in future gonna complain about the stolen vintage car (not possible) if at all the one you pick from junk is a stolen one.

The above said procedure happened here in pondicherry for present cars/

More than 100 + cars were caught up and put up in a ground. It was like a exhibition , car like scorpio , skodas , honda city etc were all there .

Unfourtunately one my friend who bought a zen was also caught up! we removed as much possible before handing over to police. They came in evening and said they will take the car in morning and the broker who delt the car already caught up. We removed even the ecu in that. later we sold and enjoyed a party! [evil]

Top Bottom