How About a Lesson on DIFFERENTIALS?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,well now a days I(In fact we all the enthusiasts)are suffering from a new disease!!Shocked??
What this disease is?
Well,this is the disease of appetite,the appetite of more knowledge about the vehicles we love.Same way my appetite is also growing at an alarming rate and today I got this one:-
Well,I was reading some Off-roading events and then I came across some facts that:
1)Gypsy has open differentials..
2)Safari has limited slip differentials.
3)XUV has got lockable differentials.
4)THE MAHINDRA TRACTOR(Arjun made) AT MY VILLAGE TOO HAS A LOCK IN THE DIFFERENTIAL,this lever is located just behind the driver's seat on the right side.

Now my doubt is,the Gypsy is a 4X4,Safari is a 4X4 and XUV too is a 4X4 and they all have two differentials for power transfer to wheels.
Okay,the car with locking differentials gets a fantastic traction..but but but..

What are these open,limited slip and locking differentials?
How do they work?
etc etc etc....[confused]

1)Gypsy has open differentials..

Normal differentials found on cars. If one wheel stops, torque is transferred to the other one, and will keep rotating indefinitely.

2)Safari has limited slip differentials.

The slipping wheel will rotate freely for a given amount of time, after which it gets locked and transfers power to ground. LSD's basically use a viscous fluid whose viscosity increases with temperature. as the wheels slip, the differential slip causes the fluid to heat up, which increases its viscosity, and after a certain threshold, it transfers power to the other wheel. There are different types of LSD, 1. 1.5, and 2. will explain in a detailed post.

3)XUV has got lockable differentials.

U can lock the differentials at your will. mechanism can be electrical or mechanical. Both wheels lock and will move simultaneously. differential is now locked, and acts like a solid shaft.

4)THE MAHINDRA TRACTOR(Arjun made) AT MY VILLAGE TOO HAS A LOCK IN THE DIFFERENTIAL,this lever is located just behind the driver's seat on the right side.

Same as Above.

There are many more, like Detroit lockers and Torsen LSD. Will start a thread regarding those soon.

Top Bottom