Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 GT TSi Comes To India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #46
Re: Hot New Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSi Caught Testing!!

Also, I've noticed a lot of people are not happy that there's no manual option, but trust me guys, the dsg's brilliant! The gear changes are so quick and smooth. I had a small drag race with a Laura (not sure if it was the petrol or diesel) and came first. The Laura guy was pretty stunned that he got beaten by a polo.[:D]
Buddy DSG boxes offer nearly same performance as well as FE as that of manual but still an auto is an auto.
Maybe the Laura guy didn't knew how to drive or maybe it was a diesel M/T. Eh, whatever it was, what I know is that if it is a TSi then it will offer thrust straight from 2000-2500 rpm to 6000 rpm and that makes it extremely fun to drive car.

Why not bro, I will get my tsi auto and you get your liva 1.5 dynamically better re-engineered, and have a quick race (Hypothetically!!)
Sure, any day. In the price of a Polo 1.2 DSG I can make it(Liva 1.5) one heck of a sprinter.

VW Polo GT TSI specifications revealed; Launch on April 29

VW India invited us to sample the sporty version of the Polo, the GT TSI variant, in Goa last week. However an embargo that didn’t expire until today left us with no choice but to hold back the details.

Volkswagen dealers have been sent cars for demonstration and test drive purposes, many spyshots from stockyards on the web are testimony to this.

This morning we can reveal that the VW Polo GT TSI, launching on the 29th of April, is powered by a 1.2-liter turbocharged petrol engine that produces a maximum power output of 105 PS @ 5,000 RPM and a maximum torque output of 175Nm @ 1,500-4,100 RPM.

Is the 1.2-liter TSI engine on this model a turbocharged version of the three-cylinder petrol motor that VW has been selling for three years in India?
Nope. Its a whole lot different compared to the existing engine. The TSI is a four cylinder, comes with turbocharging and direct injection.

The 1.2-liter TSI unit substitutes the 1.6-liter unit which VW India retrieved from the market last year due to poor sales. To use that engine’s numbers for reference, it delivers peak outputs of 103.5bhp @ 5,250rpm and 153Nm @ 3,750rpm. The 1.2-liter on the other hand produces a higher power at lower revs and a higher peak torque is available from 1,500-4,100 RPM. Power and torque are therefore easily accessible with less noise and fuel expenses. There’s a heaven and hell difference to the driving experience which we’ll explain in our review later in the day.

Transmission duties are carried out by a 7-speed dual clutch gearbox (DSG). The 1.6-liter engine was paired to the 5-speed manual transmission, also available with the smaller petrol and diesel mills. Traction is provided by 180/60 sectioned R15 tires.

Aesthetically, the Polo GT TSI is differentiated by ‘GT’ and ‘TSI’ badges on the front and rear fascia, and a ‘GT TSI’ sticker on the C-Pillar. Interiors are upholstered in contrasting black and gray fabric trim. Illuminated sill plates on the front doorways and the gear selector are obvious differences on the new variant.

The Polo GT TSI has recorded a fuel efficiency of 17.2kmpl in the ARAI consumption test. Dimensionally, it is the same as the naturally aspirated Polo petrol variant.

VW Polo GT TSI Specifications revealed; Launch on April 29

Attachments

Thread Starter #51

Autocar India quotes a 0-100 timing of 11.34s compared to the 1.6's 11.6s. I must say I am pretty disappointed. I was hoping for a sub-10s dash to the ton but I guess the poor quality of the fuel here plays spoilsport.
Buddy it's not for no reason I say "There is no replacement of the displacement". Rest you can have a look at power to weight and torque to weight ratios of both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddy it's not for no reason I say "There is no replacement of the displacement". Rest you can have a look at power to weight and torque to weight ratios of both.
Hehe. I never said otherwise. All I said is that there were talks of a sub-10s dash and even the VW UK site mentions 9.7s. I was surprised when I read the 11.34s figure. That's all [:D]

Hehe. I never said otherwise. All I said is that there were talks of a sub-10s dash and even the VW UK site mentions 9.7s. I was surprised when I read the 11.34s figure. That's all [:D]
May be the sports mode of DSG attains 100 within 9,7 secs?

I think more than the Tsi engine, auto DSG gearbox is what people have been talking about. Though heard its fun to drive this engine even with Auto transmission. But i would have loved to see this 1.2 TSI turbocharged petrol engine mated to a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Would have been an absolute dream to drive. And also would have surely kept the prices also in check. Surely see it coming within a year itself from now.

But i guess, VW wants a niche market for this one. Though it will have a limited number of buyers only. Target buyer would be someone who already has a high end car and wants a powerful,fun to drive around second car. Or maybe some of the younger lot who have a limited daily running but are really enthu about their driving.

Ex showroom price - 7.25Lacs is what i have been told by the local dealer. I think with the TSI engine and the DSG auto gearbox, price seems to be pretty decent considering it has added safety feature of ESP also over the regular 1.2 petrol highline which retails currently at ex showroom - 6Lacs price tag. Waiting for the official launch now.

But i guess, VW wants a niche market for this one. Though it will have a limited number of buyers only. Target buyer would be someone who already has a high end car and wants a powerful,fun to drive around second car. Or maybe some of the younger lot who have a limited daily running but are really enthu about their driving.
I would say all first time car buyers who can extend their budget, go for this car. Why not raise standard right at the beginning? And I am sure that the resale value of this hatch would be good too.

Not to forget that this one is not only about performance, but practicality too. It gets even more practical than the replaced polo 1.6 due to better fuel efficiency.

So actually I appreciate the subtle touch VW give to this car (Ironically called negative in some expert review [surprise])
There is no visual diff between regular Polo except for some badges here and there.. Very nice touch.. I (I guess a lot of people) dont want to be written hot hatch everywhere(or anything flashy for that matter)
DSG -- It may be problematic but most of the problem came from Superbs, I didn't find many problem gets reported in Polo, May be the power output is the culprit, but I dont care. on related note, I really appreciate that they give the most advanced Auto tranny in this hatch (which infact part of their top of line sedan)
Acc, power mirror, nice ICE (again top of the line), sec computer (DTC, service reminder etc), All the basic shorted out.. Basically except for 6 airbag and rear view camera, there is not a much difference between I20 and this. (which is most gidmozed hatch)

On a lighter note, A leather seat and HID would have been a nice touch, but hay.. I am not complaining..

I would say all first time car buyers who can extend their budget, go for this car. Why not raise standard right at the beginning? And I am sure that the resale value of this hatch would be good too.

Not to forget that this one is not only about performance, but practicality too. It gets even more practical than the replaced polo 1.6 due to better fuel efficiency.
I beg to disagree. I'm sure that the GT will have pathetic resale values (unless petrol becomes cheaper than diesel here). But that wouldn't matter much to a petrolhead I guess. I'm interested in the car because of the 1.2TSi+DSG combo. I love the DSG to bits. It actually converted me from a pure manual-tranny lover to manual -or-dual clutch auto-tranny lover. One of my friends has a Jetta HL with the DSG and that is a gem of a car to drive here. The DSG actually does not make you miss the manual at all. The good fuel efficiency will be the icing on the cake.
I only wish it were the 29th already. I'm itching to get behind the wheels of the GT.

@Sukanta:

I too am happy that VW did not add those skirts and decals on the body which would have made the price even higher, and the same people would have complaint that VW should not have added the skirtings.

Anyways, I hope VW prices it right such that some wannabe enthusiasts me are not hurt!!

I beg to disagree. I'm sure that the GT will have pathetic resale values (unless petrol becomes cheaper than diesel here). But that wouldn't matter much to a petrolhead I guess. I'm interested in the car because of the 1.2TSi+DSG combo. I love the DSG to bits. It actually converted me from a pure manual-tranny lover to manual -or-dual clutch auto-tranny lover. One of my friends has a Jetta HL with the DSG and that is a gem of a car to drive here. The DSG actually does not make you miss the manual at all. The good fuel efficiency will be the icing on the cake.
I only wish it were the 29th already. I'm itching to get behind the wheels of the GT.
Given the performance of GT and also tuning capabilities, its resale would be high at least in the niche segment that it targets.
Simultaneously, it also proves to be more practical car than the polo 1.6 as well as 1.2 to an extent given the fuel efficiency it claims.

Now that you have praised the DSG, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom