Hoooonk, Screeeech and Baanngg!!!!!

That is one bad incident Jalex! Traffic scenario , i agree even i overtake from the left sometimes. Law in Indian public is that if you hit somebody , you have to pay! Good to hear the issue was resolved without much fuss. Did you send another Rs.250 to him later?

@ Amiti If its only paint , then i think it can be removed by trying rubbing.

A close shave

Happened to me yesterday after getting off the company bus near my house. The main road is 4 laned and I was waiting to cross the road with traffic flowing from my right.

I wait for a large gap and notice a White Polo approaching rather slowly and a Vista from the far left. Thinking its safe to cross, I start walking across the road fast. As I reach the center of the road, I see a Beat trying to overtake the Vista coming from the left but sees me and slows down. I turn right and see this black pulsar 220 (without head lights [frustration]) coming real fast trying to overtake the Polo coming from the right. Since I had slowed down, it was kinda late to run across the road because of the Vista and too late to run backwards, so I just stand there hoping the guy on the pulsar would slow down. But no, he's riding too fast, he brakes and the rear wheel skids, seeing this the Vista guy coming from the left brakes to a stop and the Polo on the right swerves to the extreme left of the road and stops. The guy on the Pulsar just managed to stop in time that the front wheel just brushes my leg.

He was too shocked to say anything and so was I. I was just happy I was still alive. That guy just breathed a sigh of relief and took off and I trot home all shaky.

That is one bad incident Jalex! Traffic scenario , i agree even i overtake from the left sometimes. Law in Indian public is that if you hit somebody , you have to pay! Good to hear the issue was resolved without much fuss. Did you send another Rs.250 to him later?
He gave me a call last Saturday and he has not yet taken the car to the service centre. I told him to call me after the service centre people have given him a quote for the repairs, That is depreciations if any and the amount he might lose in NCB. After he gives me details I'll send him the amount I promised. He said he would call me on Monday, but I still have to hear from him. God knows if he's planning to repair it at all.

And another thing is that I'm not sure if one is supposed to wait till the lane on the right gets moving, for you to move at all when you're the one in the left lane in a traffic jam.
Law says no overtaking from the left. But traffic behind you and the cops will insist that you start moving when your lane gets moving even if the right lane is stuck solid. I guess thats the only thing you can do in that situation.

Last edited:
Update

The Guy I was bumped into by the Ace guy called me in the wee hours of early morning today. I'm a late riser and was sort of irritated to get up so early.

He tells me that he went to the showroom yesterday for servicing his car and the guys there told him that even if he goes for insurance, He still will have to shell out some 5500 rupees out of his pocket. He also has a new discovery that his Xing's grill has also broken which I had not seen then, and so the whole front bumper needs to be replaced. He also said that his daughter who was sitting in the rear seat saw the Car's bumper being pulled upwards while the bump happened and that was what caused the broken grill. Now how can someone in the rear seat of the car see that when the car is in motion??[thinking]

I seriously doubt that he is trying to make a jackass out of me and take me for a ride. I dont recall anything being broken on the car other than the bumper which had a small dent twice the size of a 2 rupee coin with the paint also damaged in the dented area plus the bumper was out of its mounts below the fender. And there were burnt marks of plastic on the fender with no scratches there. Just need to rub off the burnt plastic with some polish or wax.

I asked him to tell the showroom guys to give the exact quotes for the repair including the actual amount of depreciation.

I really am beginning to get suspicious here.:suspect:

Last edited:
First of all Rs.5500 for a Santro's bumper is too much! He is right the insurance company wont pay for the new bumper , it will cover only the painting and labour charges. But 5.5k is too much! My Verna's bumper is only Rs.3k , so i highly doubt a Santro's bumper to be costlier than a Verna.

And secondly if the bumper is out of its mounts below the fender and if the mounts are broken inside , then there is no other choice other than changing it. The grill also needs to be changed in that case!

First of all Rs.5500 for a Santro's bumper is too much! He is right the insurance company wont pay for the new bumper , it will cover only the painting and labour charges. But 5.5k is too much! My Verna's bumper is only Rs.3k , so i highly doubt a Santro's bumper to be costlier than a Verna.

And secondly if the bumper is out of its mounts below the fender and if the mounts are broken inside , then there is no other choice other than changing it. The grill also needs to be changed in that case!
Well he told me that the insurance company will only replace the whole bumper with painting as it cannot be repaired. (Another fact is that we have a bumper repair cum paint shop in our town who can repair and paint that bumper for less than 1000 rupees at the maximum,I had got my rear bumper repaired after it was rammed in from the rear.) And 5500 rupees is the amount he told he has to shell out after the depreciation. His car is into the second year. And after learning that your Verna's bumper is only 3000 rupees, I strongly believe that he is trying to make a fool of myself.

Last edited:
Update

The Guy I was bumped into by the Ace guy called me in the wee hours of early morning today. I'm a late riser and was sort of irritated to get up so early.

He tells me that he went to the showroom yesterday for servicing his car and the guys there told him that even if he goes for insurance, He still will have to shell out some 5500 rupees out of his pocket. He also has a new discovery that his Xing's grill has also broken which I had not seen then, and so the whole front bumper needs to be replaced. He also said that his daughter who was sitting in the rear seat saw the Car's bumper being pulled upwards while the bump happened and that was what caused the broken grill. Now how can someone in the rear seat of the car see that when the car is in motion??[thinking]

I seriously doubt that he is trying to make a jackass out of me and take me for a ride. I dont recall anything being broken on the car other than the bumper which had a small dent twice the size of a 2 rupee coin with the paint also damaged in the dented area plus the bumper was out of its mounts below the fender. And there were burnt marks of plastic on the fender with no scratches there. Just need to rub off the burnt plastic with some polish or wax.

I asked him to tell the showroom guys to give the exact quotes for the repair including the actual amount of depreciation.

I really am beginning to get suspicious here.:suspect:
Just a hole?
ask him to use fibre glass
fibre glass and putty work plus painting must cost 2000 - 2nd quality paint and about a 1000 more if DuPont best quality paint.

Hmmm but atleast me i will not agree to repair my bumper outside A.S.S! I doubt whether he will agree to that , if he agrees well and good.

Anyways 5.5k is just too much!

Hmmm but atleast me i will not agree to repair my bumper outside A.S.S! I doubt whether he will agree to that , if he agrees well and good.
Dhaya the guy I mentioned is a trained professional and his shop is a Dupont authorised paintshop. You wont even find out where he has done a touch up on a car unless he tells you. The job's that neat. His work is excellent and is way better than the A.S.S people.

And if the Xing guy is going to demand 5.5k then he'd better look the legal way as I am not paying that too much for a bump which was not a direct result of my negligence. What else do we insure our cars for. He can get it out of my car's insurance.

Last edited:
Dhaya the guy I mentioned is a trained professional and his shop is a Dupont authorised paintshop. You wont even find out where he has done a touch up on a car unless he tells you. The job's that neat. His work is excellent and is way better than the A.S.S people.

And if the Xing guy is going to demand 5.5k then he'd better look the legal way as I am not paying that too much for a bump which was not a direct result of my negligence. What else do we insure our cars for. He can get it out of my car's insurance.
5.5K is too much , is he gonna install new bumper and paint them. if so there is 50 to 80% of the insurance , you need to pay just 20 to 40% of 5.5K and it will be less right?

even if he gonna get new bumper , get if from other manufacture , that is avail in market , hope its 1300 for new bumper (i myself installed one , but exact cost - i dont remember.)

painting a 1600+250 for sealer(dupond/ppg etc best material) , max its under 4K - new one without insurance.
so 5.5 with insurance in really a robbery

Got my first scratch. One dumb person brushed rear right side of wheel arch. However decided to do some R&D by fixing black matt tape. Going for that job tomorrow. Will update the pictures.

Top Bottom