Honda Unicorn Review

Thread Starter #1
I suppose this is a first ownership report about a bike.
Well, I am posting my initial ownership report and not my bike review. I am not sure whether its in the right section.
When I decided to buy a bike, the one and only option came to my mind was Unicorn.
I went to Peeyem Honda in Kannur and asked the details about the bike even though I knew every specification except the price. I asked the guy for a test drive, but I didnt get as the TD vehicle was not there. He promised to call me the next day and get me the test drive. The next day, I expected for the call. But no one called me. After two days, I called him and asked him about my test drive. He said, he tried calling me and I was in out of coverage area.[anger] So I decided not to make the booking through him. After two weeks, I went to show room again and contacted a girl there to go through the booking. I paid 1000 Rs as the booking price and she told me that it'll take around two months for the bike to arrive. And I have to make the full payment 20 days before deliver.I agreed and asked her for a test drive, she gave me the keys of the bike and asked me to be careful. I was surprised. No one from there was coming with me. So I took my friend with me and went to my home which is 5 km away from there. And returned the keys to her and thanked her.
On 2008 November 25th, I paid the Ex-Showroom amount for the bike and they said that it'll take around 20 days for the bike to arrive. On 4th December 2008, I got a call from my home saying that the show room people have called to inform that the bike has arrived. I was in Bangalore at that time, and on hearing this I have started for searching trains and buses. Atlast I found a train but there was no reservation.[frustration] I decided to go by General compartment. I reached there next day and on 10th, I submitted the required documents for registration. Atlast, I got my Wing on 11th December 2008.

The first pic of my bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your bike black beauty.
So you had to face a lot of troubles to get it!
Why the waiting period was so long?

Nice that you own a good bike finally !!

But Honda is the worst manufacturer i will rate.

This doesn't happen for him alone.

Its happening for every one. Even we booked an activa & they took 1.5 months to deliver it.

And one of my friend booked Activa before two months & still they say that its out of stock & it will come soon!!

If this continues every one will say good bye to HONDA !![evil]

Thread Starter #4
Congratulations on your bike black beauty.
So you had to face a lot of troubles to get it!
Little bit trouble I had.[cry]
The waiting period is same all over India, I suppose.

If this continues every one will say good bye to HONDA !!
I dont think so. People are willing to wait for the trouble free engine.[evil]

my friend recently bought an activa & is not at all happy with the scooter nor with honda's service. he says indian scooters like scooty is much better. he also mentioned that the A.S.S is very bad as the staff just doesnt have the time to listen or bother about your complaints.

congratulations on your unicorn.superb engine and very comfortable ride on this wing rider.Honda doesnt have a great ASS which is why many does feel lack of this and overall quality too, yes engine is superb one but then other parts, plastics arent upto the mark.But Honda still sells and would do so without any questions, still its new Activa has waitlist for 2 months across nation.

Congrats on your new bike black beauty. I was riding the original Unicorn before my FZ 16. It was a great bike. Engine refinement is second to none.

That's because Honda's production capacity is less. The situation is same for all Honda 2 wheelers across India, i think.

Thread Starter #8
my friend recently bought an activa & is not at all happy with the scooter nor with honda's service.
I must agree that Honda's service is really pathetic. But I dont agree that Activa is not good. My friend bought one activa in 2003, till now no trouble with engine or ride.

he is not happy with the scooter as the self start wont start the scooter on the third day of purchase itself and the kick is a pain to operate. he also says that basic features like city lights & engine kill switch is not offered. rear foot rest & side stand is optional too. given the price, these should have been standard.

Hey Guys,

I didn't quote anything about Honda's quality here.

But i just told you about how HONDA really handles customer in INDIA!!

This is not the way a 2 wheeler company should work. Its merely an Profit Oriented Org.

Any fully imported CBU can take even less time than booking a two wheeler in Honda !!

On 4th December 2008, I got a call from my home saying that the show room people have called to inform that the bike has arrived. I was in Bangalore at that time, and on hearing this I have started for searching trains and buses. Atlast I found a train but there was no reservation.[frustration] I decided to go by General compartment. I reached there next day and on 10th, I submitted the required documents for registration. Atlast, I got my Wing on 11th December 2008.
Congrats for the Unicorn.The thing i have highlighted shows your love for the Unicorn I bet it'll serve you well.

Happy Motoring
Always Wear A Helmet[:D]

Thread Starter #13
I bet it'll serve you well.

Always Wear A Helmet[:D]
It serves me well. I ran over a divider once and luckily nothing happened. My tyre got deflated that too only after I reached Honda showroom. Later on I saw how big the divider was. It was a big one.[shock]

And about helmet, I always wear it and advice my friends to do the same.

Yeah! Honda is not that great, as they were before. My brother faced a lot of problems with his Aviator. He was taking to the service often during first few weeks. And their service from my experience was also very bad. I find Yamaha much better.

It serves me well. I ran over a divider once and luckily nothing happened. My tyre got deflated that too only after I reached Honda showroom. Later on I saw how big the divider was. It was a big one.

And about helmet, I always wear it and advice my friends to do the same.
My next advice would be to keep your eyes on the road and not the divider[lol!]

I have never driven a Unicorn will surely do a TD when i get time.[:D]

Top Bottom