Honda Jazz vs i20 Magna vs Swift Dzire Vxi?

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

Everyone i have been reading TAI for quite some time now and i must say people here indirectly provided so much information, so thanks for it.

Now by big problem i have finally decided to buy my First car.

I am 23 yr old and have been working for past year and my intention to buy the car is not for me personally to be true,i am still a bike lover[;)].

I am gifting my mother a car for her b'day which still is a bit far away, so ok to the point

My budget : 6.5 lacs (max)

My location : Delhi

Top 5 Priorities : Handling(Safety including) ,cost of ownership (FE cum maintenance), Engine performance, Seating comfort ( not only for the front passengers)

For which purpose: Mostly i think on weekends and some times office trips
Monthly Runnings: I think should not be more than 800 kms (Tops)

Max people that the car will be used by is 4

Now my certain favorites or lets say cars that i have shortlisted

1) Swift Dzire Vxi
2) Honda Jazz -Select
3) Ritz-Zxi or Vdi
4) i20-Magna
5) Swift ( not a big fan especially after looking at the new swift rear windows they look too small)

Till now i have personally not tested any vehicles but i have seen the Honda jazz-select in flesh with my mom and to be true just sitting inside it feels so good. The car has superb interiors and i am 6'1 and i sat on rear seats and"blimey" i was seated very comfortably and the feel and finish of the car is superb.

And now comes the important observations by my mom- The car is good and it is true Honda indeed [clap]

While i do like the Jazz the only point that goes against it is that is costing me 6.6L on road and with 2 months waiting.

Apart from Jazz i have not any cars personally and but swift vxi at 5.9L OTR doesn't offer me ABS even as optional.

I was not able to TD jazz because they didn't even have a TD vehicle available[shock] and the vehicle i saw was up for delivery.I am a little bit apprehensive about the GC in jazz

So guys please provide your inputs if you have cars that will fit in my budget and requirement ( Diesel will do but i don't know what maintenance cost i have to bear)

Mods this is my first post so if there are any mistake my apologies.

Thread Starter #2
Replying in a new post couldn't not edit my old one

Just want to add Punto Dynamic 1.3 MJD to the list since it is well within the reach dealer quoting me 6.85 on phone itself and i think i can negotiate with him further.

Now what to do Diesel at same price as petrol but my running are about 750 kms(Could increase if it is a diesel :D ). What are the cost of maintenance for Punto ?

Punto can anyone tell me about the interiors because i was simply amazed by the leg room and feeling of interiors of Jazz.

P.s never driven a Diesel vehicle ever

Hey buddy, recently (about 3 months back) I was in a similar scenario, with similar figures of monthly running.
I was simply amazed with the Jazz, I booked it, and there was 2-3 months delay and there was an increase in the prices (from 6.45 to 6.90). Later on, ended in Punto as the ride quality was amazing,they provided me lots of offers and a diesel car @ the price of a petrol car will surely bring benefits. (I had a ride of 150 kms this weekend, and my Punto delivered 17kmpl. [:D])

If you are looking for space, Jazz would beat all the other hatches, the next in the league would be i20, followed by Punto/Polo, Swift.

You can check this thread for the suggestions given to me by TAI members.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-upgrading-premium-hatchback-please-help.html

You can check the exteriors and interiors here:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/7248-fiat-punto-mjd-bnw-experience.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks anand well yes my monthly runnings are not that much but with a diesel probably they might increase and i might add few more kms with diesel being Rs 41(i live in Delhi :D)..

This is were the problem cramps for me because getting a diesel at cost of petrol. Yes comfort is one of the main factors as well for me since i don't my mom who would be sitting on the back complaining that the car back seats look like a glove compartment.

The only thing that currently goes against jazz is 6.6 OTR with no discounts. The waiting for me is not a problem even if i get the car by end of September. Today was taking to the Punto sales rep and he was going all gaga over the Punto(no pun intended punto lovers) and cut the price from 7.30 to 6.85 which was so enticing.

I am not someone who has big knowledge about cars but i truly need a car that at least provides good overall comfort.

Punto i think would do a TD next weeks, fingers crossed since last time i drove was a Maruti 800 and that to 2 years back!!

How much does Punto MJD give on city? with the diesel costing about 26rs less in here. Since both cars costing the same i can work on the calculation of people saying you pay 1 lac extra for a diesel formula. The only saving i can generate will be through the differential price in fuels.

Which is why i am so confused if it is worth buying a punto over jazz which most probably will give mileage in same region but better interiors (i think).

What kind of maintenance cost can i expect in Punto?

Last edited:
Thanks anand well yes my monthly runnings are not that much but with a diesel probably they might increase and i might add few more kms with diesel being Rs 41(i live in Delhi :D)..

This is were the problem cramps for me because getting a diesel at cost of petrol. Yes comfort is one of the main factors as well for me since i don't my mom who would be sitting on the back complaining that the car back seats look like a glove compartment.

The only thing that currently goes against jazz is 6.6 OTR with no discounts. The waiting for me is not a problem even if i get the car by end of September. Today was taking to the Punto sales rep and he was going all gaga over the Punto(no pun intended punto lovers) and cut the price from 7.30 to 6.85 which was so enticing.

I am not someone who has big knowledge about cars but i truly need a car that at least provides good overall comfort.

Punto i think would do a TD next weeks, fingers crossed since last time i drove was a Maruti 800 and that to 2 years back!!

How much does Punto MJD give on city? with the diesel costing about 26rs less in here. Since both cars costing the same i can work on the calculation of people saying you pay 1 lac extra for a diesel formula. The only saving i can generate will be through the differential price in fuels.

Which is why i am so confused if it is worth buying a punto over jazz which most probably will give mileage in same region but better interiors (i think).

What kind of maintenance cost can i expect in Punto?
Maintenance in Punto is quite low, compared to Volkswagen and Hyundai. (btw, I haven't even done my 1st service).

I guess you need to TD and decide.

I would suggest you in this order.
Petrol:
Jazz = i20 sportz > swift/Dzire

Diesel:
i20 (magna would fall in your budget) > Punto = swift/Dzire.

Thread Starter #6
I am now seriously considering punto and will arrange for a td next time around. My concern is can anyone tell me the best otr I can get on dynamic and emotion variants in Delhi?

while I am concerned abt A.S.S in punto I still think it may not be as bad as people actually make it. Perosnally I have a Suzuki gs let me say not one of the best services but I hardly required any with the quality of vehicle,so hope punto offers same quality

Since the car will be driven by your mom, I would suggest the Jazz or i20 over the Punto. Punto can get a bit "heavy" for the ladies.

By the way, since the running is quite limited, why not gift your mom the i10 or 120 Automatic? She will be very pleased with it's ease of driving.

Hello adi231189,
Considering your budget and requirements I would advice you Honda Jazz if you are looking for a hatch. Even the base variant offers ABS, airbags stereos etc as standard. Its quite VFM hatch.
Another choice would be a swift zxi. It reliable , safe, , good after sales service and resale value too. The only downside is the rear seats. But I must say the present generation swift rear seats have improved a lot from the earlier generations.
If you are considering a sedan dzire would be a good sensible buy.
Do check out the etios also.
If you are considering punto as an option , I would suggest you to get a diesel variant . It would be better.

Thread Starter #9
Hello adi231189,
Considering your budget and requirements I would advice you Honda Jazz if you are looking for a hatch. Even the base variant offers ABS, airbags stereos etc as standard. Its quite VFM hatch.
Another choice would be a swift zxi. It reliable , safe, , good after sales service and resale value too. The only downside is the rear seats. But I must say the present generation swift rear seats have improved a lot from the earlier generations.
If you are considering a sedan dzire would be a good sensible buy.
Do check out the etios also.
If you are considering punto as an option , I would suggest you to get a diesel variant . It would be better.

@raj my mom will not drive the car...but a very important factor is if she likes a car I will buy it then only

@Vishnu I dont want swift dont know why but I dont like it...jazz is currently in top spot but punto 1.3 MJd I have not yet driven and not sure abt A.S.S that is the only thing that worries me with punto. Apart from that punto came into the picture because it is diesel vehicle which I can get at the price of Honda jazz

So do you think that I should not consider punto based on my requirements?...are the rear seats comfortable in punto??...will be doing a TD OF JAZZ and punto on Sunday anyway

Hello Dear,

My sincere suggestion is to have test drive all the vehicles, feel & decide. Preferably take your family with you for TD.

I was about to buy santro & after test drive decided to buy i10 though i had tight budget.

If the Punto model you are getting comes with ABS and airbags, you go ahead and book it. Diesel costs lesser and you make huge savings.

If you want comfort,with easy on pocket Spares and service cost and a diesel obviously a bonus then just head to a TATA showroom and check out the Vista.

Thread Starter #14
Thank you everyone, well i am not sure about Punto diesel just because of A.S.S i think and also when i looked at the car in parking the rear seats looked a bit cramped. But being a diesel car it is really enticing and makes a bit sense to buy a diesel at cost of Petrol car(Jazz).

Does punto Dynamic come with USB?? A

Would really like some Punto lovers(Especially in NCR) who bought the car to tell me how good is Him motors in pataparganj in terms of dealership and service as well

And currently i am being quoted 6.9L(approx) for the dynamic variant would like to know how much more are chances of negotiating, since the discount offered and negotiation done was on the phone.

P.S: @visran not interested in Vista or any Tata vehicle

Thread Starter #15
Hello eveyone i did a TD of Punto today ....mmmm delicious little Italian i must say. I was surprised that i was to drive a diesel vehicle so easily(i have not driven any car for past 2 years). As suggested by some i went with a clear head and when it came to space matters i didn't want to even compare it with jazz.

Now the test drive experience was great i was accompanied by a great friend\ neigbour who has superb knowledge about cars. So first i sat on the back the leg room is not so great but adequate with seats pulled 3/4 way back(i am 6'1). But if i pull the seats completely back my knees were hitting the front seat.

Experience during the TD(While in the back seat)
1) Mind blowing ride quality- My friend went through super deep potholes really great comfort.
2) 3 People with average built can sit in the back seat
3) Ingress and Egress is average
4) The ergonomics of the car are really not good- The seat adjuster rods are exposed and sharp and can cause damage to your legs
4) Sitting in the middle of the back seat is not so much fun

Experience during TD(While driving)
1) Shoddy ergonomics again- The clutch is too much out
2) The Built quality of the steering is meaty, it feels so good to hold
3) I have never driven a diesel so i might not no but i didn't find any hiccups in 1st, 2nd gear was smooth pick-up with 5 people inside.
4) Tilt steering is ok but still i felt it stares at me even when i pull it down.
5) NVH levels excellent-Really could not hear any sound
6) AC was brilliant 2 mins and the cabin was super cool
7) I loved the handling and preciseness of the steering, car went were i wanted it to go.
8) Excellent brakes so confidence inspiring.

Some other points which my friend i conferred upon......Long clutch, really i had to pull my knee up, even though got used to it within 2 min but still. Overall clutch is smooth. As suggested by others going from 5th gear to 2 nd gear is a tad bit tricky but i felt i was good. Boot space is adequate, since i don't go with much luggage it is sufficient

Overall experience= Totally Bowled over by the punto but it exceeds my budget by 20k(Dynamic)

So request Punto owners can anyone tell should i pay 6.9 OTR for the dynamic version since i have told Sales rep not paying more than 6.7L

EDIT: Mods can you please change the title of the thread to Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic vs Honda Jazz :D

Last edited:

Top Bottom