Honda Jazz vs Hyundai i20: Which is Good to Buy?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new the forum and also 1st time car buyer.

I did make a little research (includes TAI forum) on cars in internet and at last I think I am going to finalize on Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20.

Can someone suggest me which one will be good to take?

My Requirements:
1) Spacious car
2) Good Ride Quality

Monthly average KM's for the month would be around 600 KMS.

I have understood that Jazz has a long waiting period and bookings are stopped as of now because of parts delay.

Just got a message that they are giving discounts on Hyundai cars and they are giving around Rs 52K discount on i20. Need to check with Dealer.

I stay in Pune.

So which one would be good to take. My budget is around 6.5L - 7.0L

[confused]
Praveen

For you requirements Jazz makes up a solid contention. But the only issue is the waiting period if you somehow manage to get a booking done. i20's are known for few niggling issues like Steering rattle, weak A/C. But these issues are not consistent across owners.

In terms of cabin space Jazz wins hands down. There is no other car in B+ segment which can boast of such cabin space. It's engine is better refined though i20 is no loser either.

It is a tough question, if you can wait, go for Jazz. If the requirement is urgent take a look at i20.

Thread Starter #3
For you requirements Jazz makes up a solid contention. But the only issue is the waiting period if you somehow manage to get a booking done. i20's are known for few niggling issues like Steering rattle, weak A/C. But these issues are not consistent across owners.

In terms of cabin space Jazz wins hands down. There is no other car in B+ segment which can boast of such cabin space. It's engine is better refined though i20 is no loser either.

It is a tough question, if you can wait, go for Jazz. If the requirement is urgent take a look at i20.
Hi Traveller,

Thank you for your suggestion. How about the interiors? I have not seen the Jazz as it was not available in the showroom.

As far as i20 goes, It thing it is not bad. Plastics were good . The Dashboard was nice with Great display. Boot space was good.

AS you mentioned about A/C issue, it think its true as I have not felt the AC so powerful. Specially when you sit at rear, you don't feel the cold. How is the AC in Jazz? I have not read anywhere about that.

And yes Waiting period of Jazz is killing me. [frustration]

Is there anything I should be looking in 2012 as there are some new cars launching in 2012?

Praveen.

premium hatchback, nothing can beat honda jazz.You have to wait to get the delivery or if you know any dealers personally to speed up the delivery nothing beats jazz.Superb space inside, quality interiors with good a.s.s backup.

I have understood that Jazz has a long waiting period and bookings are stopped as of now because of parts delay.
Honda is going through serious supply crunch, as per company reports only 250 Jazz to be dispatched in December with 4000 bookings already in not sure if you have any chance of getting the same before March. Surely if you can wait Jazz would be the best bet after current price cuts and will fit in you budget (fully loaded Jazz X @ 6.9 in Pune, real steal considering it's launch prices)

No doubt, Jazz is a perfect combination of power (87 BHP), Mileage (I Vtec is good for mile crunching), features (magic seats, Love them) but it's not the end of the world. You have other options beyond that, options are-

I20 - Sportz-
Good
5* safty
Loaded with features
6.10 lacs OTR,around a lac cheaper than Jazz with more features. Not inclusive of year end discounts.
Hyundai ASS
Decent ride
Bad
Doesn't look like build to last, You might handle it with care as far as Pune roads are concerend.
Rattles and noises
Feels bit under powered when compared to swift, Jazz
A/C, wont be a problem in Pune as summers are not that extreme.

Punto 1.3 MJD, 90 HP
Good
Solid Build quality
Good settled ride and handling
Decent power for a Hatch
Bad
TASS, but i have heard nothing about BU Bhandari.
Poor resale value
Interiors, not as good as I20 or Jazz

Polo
Good
Solid build
Decent interiors
Settled ride
Bad
Sluggish and feel bulky to drive
Nothing extraordinary or new about car (personal opinion)

Also you can look at Fabia petrol, pretty much like Polo but cheaper.

Swift ZXI
Good
Loaded with features
Great ride, accelaration and handling
Mileage
Better highway manners on highways (subject to opinion, Jazz is second)
Bad
Interiors look from a class below, (Beat has better quality plastic)
Rattle and squeks, Japenese bulid
Too common, and again huge waiting period.

Just going off topic, As your preferences have space as one of the priority and a budget of 6.5 to 7, why not a sedan. You should check out Nissan Sunny. It has decent space, comfortable ride and base model XE would be below 7 lacs. I agree it's not a vehicle for enthusiast but gets the job done in space, comfort and safety.

2nd option would be Fiesta classic, 1.6 Petrol. Again nothing extraordinary about looks, interiors are clean, simple but bit dated. But But But.. If you love to drive it should be the car. Gem of an engine, best in class handling and will put a smile on your face. Drawbacks are FE of ~ 10, cramped rear space but boot is sufficently ok @ 475 liters.

Also if you can further elaborate on your preferences forum can guide you better. But believe me it would be like spoilt for choices, I have tried it and you have so many option you tend to forget about your initial preferences.
As at the end of day, no human and no car is perfect, happy hunting [cheers]
Regards
Maddy

52K discount on I20? means I20 Asta price around 6.10 lakh OTR. IMO its very good deal. If you not bothered too much about Steering rattling issue (may not be observe in your car) then I would suggest I20 Asta fully loaded. But Jazz offers better ride quality than I20.

If I was you, I would pick the Jazz over the i20 if the dealer can give me a written commitment about the waiting period & if i am okay with it.

Else, I would pick the i20.

As a car, the Jazz is much better than the i20.

Go for Jazz provided you can afford to wait. There is no car better than Jazz as on date in Indian market (petrol segment). Reason is quite evident the movement Honda reduced prices waiting list increased from almost ZERO to I do not know how many months. i20 is good but Jazz is best.

Thread Starter #10

Also if you can further elaborate on your preferences forum can guide you better. But believe me it would be like spoilt for choices, I have tried it and you have so many option you tend to forget about your initial preferences.
As at the end of day, no human and no car is perfect, happy hunting [cheers]
Regards
Maddy

Hi Madan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

My requirements were:

1) Good Ride quality
2) Good Boot Space
3) Reliability
4) Safety
5) Good ASS, as I keep transferring.

I do not have experiencing in driving. This is my first car so the Initial KM's will be less , 200 KM per month to start with It might increase as the years progress may be to 700 - 900 KM per month.

This is the another reason why I am not going for Diesel.

Polo rejected as my brother recently bought Polo Comfortline in Oct 2011.

Swift Rejected by my wife as she didn't like to looks and also it is common on the roads.

i20 is the only another contender, but again i20 is also common on the roads. If we are not able to get the booking done for Jazz then planning to go for i20 Asta.

I know Jazz will also become common in coming months. But for now it is not common on the Roads.

I am not in very much hurry and will wait till Jan 2012 and see if the booking opens.

I already have Honda Unicorn Bike and was thinking of Honda Car as well.

Today planning to take TD for i20.

Praveen

Swift Rejected by my wife as she didn't like to looks and also it is common on the roads.

i20 is the only another contender, but again i20 is also common on the roads. If we are not able to get the booking done for Jazz then planning to go for i20 Asta.

I know Jazz will also become common in coming months. But for now it is not common on the Roads.

I am not in very much hurry and will wait till Jan 2012 and see if the booking opens.
Means you don't want common car [:)] then better to wait Fiat Punto 2012. May be Punto comes with Multiair petrol engine?

I have been using a i20 magna petrol and would certainly recommend i20 asta, considering the long wait for the jazz. Very spacious boot and good comformatble ride. True, its become common now, but then that shows the popularity of the car. All the best for your decision.

Thread Starter #13
Means you don't want common car [:)] then better to wait Fiat Punto 2012. May be Punto comes with Multiair petrol engine?
Hi Jazz,

I mean, My friends already have this, my brother has polo, so I wanted to buy different. Hence Selected Jazz and that too after the price cut.

Also, I already have Honda Unicorn bike, so I thought it will be good I have the Honda Car as well.

But comparing on the web, I though Punto looks to be bit crampy.... I have did not do a test drive, but just judging as per the comparison on web (I may be wrong).

My heart is always for Jazz and my mind is 50-50 between Jazz and i20. This only because of the Jazz wait period. Else I think after reading the forums I think would have gone for Jazz...... [:D]

Praveen

Always listen to your heart and go for Jazz. Excellent car among the segment. In fact i had booked the Jazz but due to waiting period i choose Punto 1.3 Emotion.

Hi Praveen,

lot of people complain about i20 AC and steering rattling issue, even one of my colleague having same issue, he is thinking to sell it out, the car was just 7months old, looks like Hyundai don’t want to fix the issue
As Jazzselect mentioned Listen your heart and go for jazz, even i booked Honda jazz, as of now waiting period is 6 to 7 months, but my dealer told me production is already started but it is limited till jan, from Jan Honda will start full swing of production.

Top Bottom