All-New Honda Civic Launched in India

Thread Starter #1
Ok so now. Here is a bad news. Atleast for me. This was among my favourites and in my wishlist along with the Pajero. Can anyone confirm the news

Honda not to relaunch the Civic sedan in India - Indian Cars Bikes

At the time of the inauguration of Honda’s Tapukara car factory in Rajasthan, top officials from the Japanese car maker announced that there were no plans to relaunch the Civic sedan in India. The Civic sedan was discontinued in 2012 and Honda has not launched its successor. Honda stopped assembling the Civic in India on account of poor sales. The Civic continues to be sold in markets across the world and is a highly successful product for the Japanese automaker.

So, why is Honda not planning to relaunch the Civic in India?

Sales of the Civic has slumped because the car didn’t have a turbo diesel engine in its line up. Now though, Honda has the 1.6 liter i-DTEC engine, a larger version of the 1.5 liter diesel engine that powers the Amaze and the City sold in India. Despite this, Honda is unwilling to bring back the Civic as the car maker feels that the D segment is no longer growing quickly with SUVs like the Renault Duster and Mahindra XUV500 eating into sedan sales.

The Civic sedan was known for its futuristic styling and peppy performance. It also featured a dashboard with an instrumentation console styled like a HUD system. Many car enthusiasts in India used to modify the car as plenty of parts were available after market due to the Civic being very popular as a sporty car in international markets as well. We’re sad to learn that Honda is letting this gem of a car go from the Indian market.

Picture-11.png

Re: Honda NOT To Re-Launch New Civic Sedan in India!?

The news of new civic not getting launched is an old onw, only recently made official. This is how the current civic (after the 2013 facelift) looks like (this is NOT the US version), and second-with a carryover R18 engine and no diesel option, it won't find any takers. When the city looks similar who will buy this?

Attachments

Thread Starter #3

I don't think you can compare it to the city. lookwise, maybe yes, looks similar. But its a level higher when it comes to "premium" sedan. Atleast I have always seen it so [glasses]

Honda is unwilling to bring back the Civic as the car maker feels that the D segment is no longer growing quickly with SUVs like the Renault Duster and Mahindra XUV500 eating into sedan sales.
It is true that with Indians' new found interest for SUV/MUV (of all shapes and sizes) markets for sedans have taken a hit.

People either prefer small sedan (<4m) or HB or MUV/SUV.

Thread Starter #5

^^ Agreed.
May be thats the reason why Honda has got plans of mobilio and Jazz based MUV. But Civic and accord are the cars which really made honda what it is today. City too upto an extent

Honda is no fool to bring in Civic here.Where do you place it?Above 15 lakh territory?The sales in D segment is very less and with A3 and CLA ready to launch from 20 lakhs,Honda has no real chance against the snob value of the German trio.

Thread Starter #7

Hyundai has got elantra, Toyota- camry & corolla, VW-jetta,Skoda-Octavia & superb.
Honda is vacant in the segment. The only problem was the diesel mill. Now that it has one, I don't find a valid reason as why it should not be here

Elantra clocked 300+, Cruze, Jetta,Corolla all in 100's,Octavia 300+. Of these Elantra is the cheapest while Octavia is having the novelty factor. Civic can't hold a candle to Octavia, so what can Honda expect,200 odd cars a month? Would a sensible fellow try to channel his resources to that or try to get more City,Amaze and Mobilio on roads? What Honda is doing what any person with business sense would do.

Elantra clocked 300 , Cruze, Jetta,Corolla all in 100's,Octavia 300 . Of these Elantra is the cheapest while Octavia is having the novelty factor. Civic can't hold a candle to Octavia, so what can Honda expect,200 odd cars a month? Would a sensible fellow try to channel his resources to that or try to get more City,Amaze and Mobilio on roads? What Honda is doing what any person with business sense would do.
Except Cruze, we have owned all other cars and i will say that tge Jetta feels the Best among all these. It feels a class above. Cruze and Corolla are dated. Octavia is good but initial rush is not there at the moment. The Elantra just feels like any other Hyundai and is being sold with offers. The Jetta has waiting, that's why you'll see its selling in 100s. I think Honda will bring next gen Civic in India rather then the current one.

Octavia is the better car than Jetta. While Octavia is based on the latest MQB platform Jetta is older PQ35 platform. Feature wife also Octavia is the better one. But that's off topic.

Octavia is the better car than Jetta. While Octavia is based on the latest MQB platform Jetta is older PQ35 platform. Feature wife also Octavia is the better one. But that's off topic.
Yes Octavia looks modern then Jetta but to Drive Jetta is far better. I drove Octavia when it was launched and i drive Jetta whenever i feel bored of Rapid. Octavia doesnt have Multi Link Suspension which totally changes the Driving Dynamics of the Car and also the Ride Quality on Octavia is not as good as Jetta its even worse then Laura which was more Plient, last but not least Octavia is more of a Feature Packed car though it lacks few Safety Features and Jetta is more Heft and Safe Car.

Octavia has multi link suspension, my senior's has it. It's a TSI, don't know if it's there in TDI.

Honda Civic Diesel in India for R&D?

Honda Cars India is likely to re-launch the Civic sedan in the country, but with diesel engine. The company has imported the diesel powered Civic sedan from the UK for “Research and Development” purpose.
The import of 9th generation Honda Civic Diesel sedan in India will surely create some buzz among the enthusiasts. The vehicle was the left hand drive version and it features the 1.6-litre, all-aluminium EarthDreams turbo diesel engine that is capable of producing a top power output of 120bhp and 300Nm of peak torque.
Honda is also planning to launch the new generation Accord and CR-V facelift in diesel avatar. The Civic diesel might work as a testing vehicle for these products. All are yet to be confirmed by Honda.
Honda Civic Diesel in India for R&D | IndiaCarNews

If this is true, I think Honda will see success when it launches the Civic. It's such a desirable car and it looks way modern then its segment rivals. Very good move by Honda IMO. Expect that engine to score high on Efficiency & Refinement. Can't wait.

Top Bottom