Honda City VX i-DTEC: Long Term Review

deville_56

Honoured Member
Thank you [:)]

The result was exceptional considering this was so noisy. We bought ourselves some random damping material from Amazon back then since of the lack of availability of the good/reputed ones. But I recently checked and there's plenty of options out there right now. Or almost all car accessories shop who does audio does a completed dampening, covering most areas since they have proper tools unlike me. But it will cost you a bomb for sure [shock]
Our tool was screwdriver or poker handle [lol]

Congratulations for the new City. [drive]

I'm attaching few pics of the rear with spoiler.
This add-on definitely improve the stance of the beauty.
I got them installed during delivery. And they charged 9k for the same. Similar ones are available for 3500₹ in aftermarket. Pls be sure about the width before purchasing. Few I've seen doesn't have the width of original accessory and looks cheap.
Also have a look at the rear reflector LED lights I've installed. It was a simple DIY.
Thanks Midhun. It definitely add the 'oomph' factor to the car. The spoiler they offered us at Honda was the one with an integrated brake light which is something i am not a big fan of. Will definitely be trying to source this once this lockdown is over!

BTW, about the installation, do you know if has been drilled on or just stuck using the double sided tape!

Thread Starter #19
The car was last serviced on March 3rd week - a few days before the Lockdown. Ran around 150kms after service (in 2 days) and then the car is in complete lockdown.
I know that the condition of battery is not good and is due for replacement. As a preventive measure, I start the car once every 2 days, kept idle for 10-15 mins, and also moved the car around the compound to avoid any flat spots and issues with brakes.

before a couple of days I got the permission to take the car out for an emergency. On road, instantly the car was making weird 'thud' thud' noise. came back home just after 200M i was left with no options but to cancel the trip.
I suspected the suspension and couldnt find anything in preliminary inspection. Then I put the car on Jacky and tried to rotate the front wheels. the car was making the noise and started to shaking.
I found a weird mark on the Brake Rotors.[surprise]

20200412_100525.jpg

I am sure it was not gradual, and was not there before 2 days., car ran only 150 kms post service. Also the projection was about 2mm and the wheels got stuck at this point causing the thud sound and shaking.

Since it was Lockdown, I decided to DIY

20200413_155512.jpg

Hired a Jacky
20200413_163951.jpg

The projection on Rotor

20200412_125641.jpg

Got them polished from a nearby Lathe. They charged Rs.400 for two sides

20200413_161833.jpg

Installation : Two friends helped me to remove and reinstall the calipers safely.
everything is resolved. took her for a small testdrive and the initial impressions were okay.
also sourced a pair of BOSCH brake pads. will be polishing the other rotor , and changing both the pads before the lockdown.

Shared the issue with HONDA and few of my friends. Nobody can give a proper explanation about how the projection happend . !!

Thread Starter #21
Saturday evening the car failed to start. The battery is dead (as expected)

20200425_140956.jpg

Served well for 4.8 Years [clap]

on sundy morning itself rushed to the Amaron Stop, Trivandrum and got the new batteries. without any second thoughts finalized on AMARON
there was heavy rush at the battery shop. By the time only 2 pieces of battery was left.
20200426_140918.jpg

cost was Rs.5800/-
Part No. 55B24LS - 45AH.
Amaron PRO
offered with 66 months warranty (36+30)

20200426_140929.jpg

It also comes with a 'battery status indicator'

Last edited:
The car was last serviced on March 3rd week - a few days before the Lockdown. Ran around 150kms after service (in 2 days) and then the car is in complete lockdown.
I know that the condition of battery is not good and is due for replacement. As a preventive measure, I start the car once every 2 days, kept idle for 10-15 mins, and also moved the car around the compound to avoid any flat spots and issues with brakes.

before a couple of days I got the permission to take the car out for an emergency. On road, instantly the car was making weird 'thud' thud' noise. came back home just after 200M i was left with no options but to cancel the trip.
I suspected the suspension and couldnt find anything in preliminary inspection. Then I put the car on Jacky and tried to rotate the front wheels. the car was making the noise and started to shaking.
I found a weird mark on the Brake Rotors.[surprise]

View attachment 275297
I am sure it was not gradual, and was not there before 2 days., car ran only 150 kms post service. Also the projection was about 2mm and the wheels got stuck at this point causing the thud sound and shaking.

Since it was Lockdown, I decided to DIY

View attachment 275299
Hired a Jacky
View attachment 275301
The projection on Rotor

View attachment 275302
Got them polished from a nearby Lathe. They charged Rs.400 for two sides

View attachment 275300
Installation : Two friends helped me to remove and reinstall the calipers safely.
everything is resolved. took her for a small testdrive and the initial impressions were okay.
also sourced a pair of BOSCH brake pads. will be polishing the other rotor , and changing both the pads before the lockdown.

Shared the issue with HONDA and few of my friends. Nobody can give a proper explanation about how the projection happend . !!
Well, the projection on the rotor should be the brake pads. Usually you might be aware that if we park the car soon after a wash the surface rust will slowly develop on the rotors and it will be continued to the brake pads as well. This is pretty common for all cars. It won't go away if you move around the car. After a considerable amount of time being idle, the brake pads adhere to the rotors along with the rust, this might be the occasional thud you heard. Every time the wheel rotates, when ever the brake pads go over the projection, it'll make a sound. Pretty common here. I think this is what happened here. [:)]

Thread Starter #24
Well, the projection on the rotor should be the brake pads. Usually you might be aware that if we park the car soon after a wash the surface rust will slowly develop on the rotors and it will be continued to the brake pads as well. This is pretty common for all cars. It won't go away if you move around the car. After a considerable amount of time being idle, the brake pads adhere to the rotors along with the rust, this might be the occasional thud you heard. Every time the wheel rotates, when ever the brake pads go over the projection, it'll make a sound. Pretty common here. I think this is what happened here. [:)]
Yes. This must be the cause of the projection. I washed the car in every 4-5 days. I was not sure how it developed within 2-3days , because I'm sure it was not there before 3 days when I drove the car around the house for the battery charging.
Thank you for the explanation.

Nice to see another City Diesel owner in this forum.I also own a City iDTEC,but 2014 make VMT version in golden brown colour since almost 3 years(bought it used from a doctor when it had run 35000 Kms)and now it has run close to 90,000 Kms.Till now,I've got Hella chrome trumpet horns,tints,side visors and Yokohama S-Drives 195/60R15(which are at the end of its life and will replace those tyres to Yoko earth-1 of same size).Was planning to let her go but after driving her extensively this week,I felt that this car shouldn't be sold at all and even my mom is against selling this car.But,I've decided to use the City as my daily ride(actually this is my mom's daily ride to her office) though we have an Innova too at home,which is used by my dad and make my mom to get herself a Petrol AT soon.

• NVH is high. not a dealbreaker, but there is engine noise inside cabin
I agree with you on this part.Though City's NVH is high,its way better than VW's and Skodas TDI engines in terms of NVH.But,City's engine can't beat VAG's engines in terms of performance hands down.

Congratulations for the new City. [drive]

I'm attaching few pics of the rear with spoiler.
This add-on definitely improve the stance of the beauty.
I got them installed during delivery. And they charged 9k for the same. Similar ones are available for 3500₹ in aftermarket. Pls be sure about the width before purchasing. Few I've seen doesn't have the width of original accessory and looks cheap.
Also have a look at the rear reflector LED lights I've installed. It was a simple DIY.
Spoiler looks good on City.Getting spoiler for my City is also in my bucketlist after lockdown and planning to get alloy wheels painted to black along with ICE upgrade only if my mom agrees to give this car to me.

Major Update

Facelifted to current model :smile:
How much did this upgrade cost you?And,to suit this facelifted car,get some good alloys as stock ones doesnt suit your City well.

Thread Starter #26
How much did this upgrade cost you?And,to suit this facelifted car,get some good alloys as stock ones doesnt suit your City well.
Thank you for your attention. Yes new alloys are in my bucket list.
I was researching for almost 2 months to do this upgrade in a cost effective way. while I was travelling to Tirunelveli i got hit with a stone in rough roads and the whole front bumper was damaged., gave the car to dealership to claim inusrane and repair the damages. After getting back the car after 3-4 days i noticed that the front grill was also damaged and is not changed in the previous insurance claim. Immedietly pointed out this to the SA and he promised to rectify it ASAP.

Meanwhile, I got a pair of unused headlights from OLX for half the price.(~10k.) It came with original packaging and not opened !!
Contacted the dealership and asked if they can provide me the new grill, I shall pay for the rest and facelift my car. Finally after 2 months of discussion, i made them install new bumper and grill along with the headlights i provided.
I paid for the bumper, paint job and some clamps and screws. (~16k)
Headlights are plug and play. but the DRL connector is not available.
Later, the DRLS were connected to ingnision line from a trusted outside workshop.

Top Bottom