Honda City iVTEC (2010): A Little Background Story

Thread Starter #1
This is the first time I am going to post something long in a forum or a thread. For a guy who loves to talk a lot but hates to write , this is going to be a tedious task. Please bear with me and read about my experiences
So what am I going to write? Well !!! I have always enjoyed reading about other people’s car buying /owning experiences . Liked reading all the details, including the pros and cons of why they shortlisted some cars and why some were rejected and finally what made them select a car and their longterm love-hate relationship with the vehicle.Here I will penn down some of my experiences in short and concentrate more on my recent buy – Honda City ivtec 2010
Though I used to like cars, the detailed interest started when my dad was finally ready to buy a car for our self in hometown. My dad was in Dubai and me as a kid did schooling till 6th there. Being from a middle class family, we did not have a car when I was a kid. Our first car (second hand)came in when I was about 8 or something,in Dubai. It was a Nissan Dihatsu car ,Blue in colour. The first one's always have a special place.Used to admire how my dad used to take care of the car. He would clean the car daily before going to office and would try to reach office early so that he can get the best spot to park the car safely. Never used to park the car in crowded places, instead preferred walking by parking the car in a safe spot.
Dad with my brothers,guess the year is 1994 :-) :
1597077648941.png

1597077712756.png

In 1996, me , Mom and brothers were back in India and my mother’s family had a Fiat premier padmini. Learned driving on the Fiat, an Ambassador and a Jeep. Soon after turning 18,got hold a driving License and had driven few 800’s. The best car I drove at that time was a Fiat UNO and ford Ikon 1.6 which my uncle owned.
Coming back to the first purchase, Dad returned back from Dubai in 2011, after working in Dubai for almost 36 years. We wanted a car and dad also agreed on the same. Dad wanted an Alto and I wanted a Swift. After lot of discussions and convincing we agreed upon the Swift diesel VDI. We booked the car and it took about 7 months to get the car delivered. Finally we took delivery of the car in Jan 1st 2012.The car is still with us and doing good and clocked around 94000 kms. A pocket friendly and easy to maintain car, I would say. And for the price we got it, it was a superb deal [ on road price was 6.35 lakhs then. Just few days after the delivery, the price shot up by 50000rs. I guess for the same variant the price would be around 8 lakhs or so ]
Recent picture of the Swift. Excuse the picture quality [@94000 KMS and 8+ years ]

InkedInkedIMG-20200811-WA0118_6567LI.jpg

IMG_20200811_171723.jpg

Am I boring you guys with too much unwanted information? Now let’s move on to my first car purchase.

My first Car : [ Fiesta 1.4 Petrol ] :

Fast forward to 2014, I was working in Bangalore, married by then and had a new born. Wifey was insisting on a car and I was also convinced on the need for one. But the problem was I did not want to take a loan and did not have good cash reserve to own a new car. Thus started my hunt for a second hand. I understood that buying a ‘bigger older car’ would be more feasible for me than a ‘smaller newer car’,as I would be mainly using the car for weekend family ride and highway ride to hometown in Kerala. All the good Santros,Alto’s etc were in the range of 2-5 lakhs and lil older Ford cars were also available in the same price range.
Since my ride would be very less, I was inclined towards Petrol cars only and was not too bothered about mileage.I wanted a car within my budget which should be a good highway cruiser along with good boot space. Finally narrowed down to Ford fiesta. And was lucky to get a very less run[33000 kms on Odo. No tampering I believe],Second owner car,2006 december registered ,petrol 1.4 model. The car did not give me much problems during the 5 years she was with me.Rode the car for about 40000 kms and sold it in December 2019. Had bought the car for 2.25 lakhs and sold it for 1.5 lakhs. I feel it was a good deal for me and for the new owner as well as I had kept the car in pristine condition and taken care of it very well.
One thing I learned from the ownership of the car was that never ever trust Authorised Service centers, especially when the car is old. They will rip us apart. Luckily I was able to get hold of a mechanic who previously worked with Ford and he was very well versed with Ford cars.So my experience with the car was fairly good.
Just to quote my bad experience with Ford service Center. The car had a weird issue of not accelerating properly and finally stalling during long drives on hot days. The issue might sound funny as this never happened when I drive the car at night or during rain. Complained at ford during the service and they suggested me to replace the O2 sensor and fuel pump and the quote was Rs.25000.Since I did not want to spend that much amount, I postponed the work.But one day ,the dreaded thing happened. I got stuck between the MG road and Brigade road signal,while returning back from Yeshwanthpur. Luckily the car just crossed the signal and i got a place to park it. Not wanting to take any more risk, I contacted a fellow Fiesta owner and showed the car to his local mechanic. Issue was diagnosed to be with the fuel pump.Replaced the fuel pump motor with a 2nd hand piece and it never recurred in the next 3 years I used the car. Total cost was 2000 Rs. !!!!! Yes …you read it right…Rs.2000 instead of Rs.25000 quoted by Ford authorized Service center.

Some pics of the Fiesta:

IMG_20191111_105419.jpg

IMG_20191111_105337.jpg

IMG_20191111_105208.jpg

The Honda City Story :
Now comes my story with Honda City 3rd Gen [ANHC]. When was the first time I saw it ?? hmmm..may be on paper Ad and I was love stuck with the design.
When did I first sat down in the car ?? Lets go lil back in time to 2010. It was when my now brother-in-law came to meet me to give gyan on love marriages and the need to backout from it . Oh boy..He came in the brand new Honda City and asked me to get in. All my tension vanished and turned into excitement. I was excitedly and silently checking the car interiors . I did not listen to or understand half of what he spoke.I was head over heels in love with the car. The love for the car increased furthermore after the marriage ,as I got to ride the car every once in a while.

The car that cemented my love for Honda City time and again:

IMG_20191102_111910.jpg

My love for Honda City grew over the years. When we were on vacation to hometown, I used to take my in-law’s Honda city for a spin.The car which is a 2010 model has aged well inspite of the long run and only periodic maintenance. It has clocked about 165000 kms in the past 10 years and still leaves a happy grin after each drive.

My Honda City :
Now you might think why I did not buy a City in 2014 instead of the Fiesta. I did search for some second hands but the car was way out of my budget then.It was selling for somewhere around 6-7 lakhs.
Lets move to 2019 December.As mentioned earlier,I sold the Fiesta and started looking for Honda City. The 2014+ models were selling for around 6 – 8 lakhs.My budget was around 4 lakhs and I did not want to go for a loan. So I started looking for the 2010+ models. There were quite a few cars in Bangalore, but most of them were with dealers. They were either priced very steeply or meter was tampered.So I steered clear of the dealers and started concentrating on the individual sellers.
Found one 2010 City – Maroon coloured 73000kms run in FB market place, but the price quoted was too high. Neverthless I went to see the car on a Friday morning and the owner was adamant on 3.8 lakhs,which I felt was high. Checked the car and figured out that I will need to spend atleast 15-20 k to remove all the dents and scratches and another 30k to get rid of the steering fluid leakage. Let go off the deal and restarted the search oline.
Same day night a notification popped up in Olx that the price has been reduced by the owner ,for a Silver City 2010 ‘S’ model which I have been eyeing. Immediately had a chat with the owner and found out that he was staying just 3 kms from my place. Called up my car enthusiast friend and went and test drove the Silver City. The car was in very good condition and he was the second owner. The first owner had driven the car for around 18000 kms and rest by the second owner[Total 78000 kms]. Had a lil bargaining on the price, bought it down by another 10000 rupees and finally agreed on the price and transferred the token.
Some initial pics:
Screenshot_2019-12-13-21-48-16-440_com.facebook.katana.png

Screenshot_2019-12-13-21-48-34-147_com.facebook.katana.png

Screenshot_2019-12-13-21-48-25-768_com.facebook.katana.png

Initial impressions: - The car felt smooth to drive. Clutch was smooth and gear shift was proper. Steering feel was good and there was no unwanted noise or jerks. No oil leaks or any other kinds of fluid leaks noticed.

The first modification[ Tyres and Alloys ] :

The transfer process went on smoothly and the car came to me on a Sunday.The first thing I noticed about the car was the increased ground clearance. Having rode the 2010 model extensively, I knew how notorious the ground clearance was. Figured out that the previous owner has been using 195/65/R15 tyres[ This is not a recommended spec ]. That explained the bumpy ride and the absence of underbelly scraping. The first step was to get rid of the existing tyres and get her new alloys and tyres.
A pic after reaching my apartment:
IMG_20191215_143835.jpg

My car enthusiast friend suggested an upsize. Though I was a bit skeptical on the size change, my friend assured me of no ill consequences, backed by enough data. I believed him blindly ( still do  ) and took the plunge. Went for an upgrade in size and finalized on 16 inch alloys [ OEM is 15 inch ] and 205/50/R 16 tryes. He helped in procuring both.

Btw..This is my friend’s car.An immaculately maintained and cared Vtec City 2004 model.
Screenshot_2020-02-22-16-15-53-738_com.whatsapp (1).jpg

The new tyres :

75b2d29c-fdcf-46fa-98b4-cad669e25881.jpg

The change in tyres and alloys gave a different stance to the car. There was no heaviness to the steering as feared and ground clearance was good enough. The only issue I found was the sagging back part when fully loaded. The underbelly of the boot started hitting the big bumps on full load. The front part had a fairly good clearance and never felt any scraping except for the occasional mudflap scraping.

IMG_20200315_220714.jpg

IMG_20200805_132924.jpg

fdsad.jpg

IMG_20200404_153857.jpg

Addressing the ground Clearance :
Rogerab:- After some studies and many positive reviews and observations, I went ahead and placed ‘Rogerab’ between the back suspension only. Got it from an authorized dealer in Bangalore. The back tyres no longer scrapped the wheel arch and there was no underbelly scrapping,even on full load. The downside is that the back suspension has become lil stiff ,but this could be only felt while going over a speed bump carelessly.
3b7a0c5b-bc59-4b62-8b50-8ecdeef39a83.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-05 at 1.43.03 PM.jpeg

Getting rid of the dents and scatches :
Next in line was to get rid of the scratches and dents. As in most other case, this was costly in Bangalore. I had enquired at few good places and they quoted me around 2500-4500 for each panel. Had to remove scrathes from 5 panels. So I kept the plan on hold and postponed it till my next hometown visit.
So during the next hometown visit in December, gave the car to my regular guy.He did a pretty decent job,though I was not 100% satisfied with the colour matching. Costed 7000Rs in total including the polishing.
Understood the affect of polishing when my wife complimented the car for it’s shine. :-)
Planning to do polishing of the car once in a year from now on.

Some pics of the work in progress :
InkedIMG-20191225-WA0047_LI.jpg

IMG-20191225-WA0046.jpg

InkedInkedIMG-20191225-WA0051_LI.jpg

After the denting, painting and polish:
fsadf.jpg

Enjoying the rain
IMG_20200624_152845.jpg

Interior Modifications :
The interior pic of the car,taken somewhere between Bangalore and Mysore road.
IMG_20191221_0952541.jpg

Android Head Unit:
The major interior modification is the Android stereo.I had done lot of research on this and there are lot of online sellers based out of almost all the states in India.Was not sure from where to order. The price varied between each seller for the same specs. Figured out that all these were imported from China and branded locally. Foxfire and Hypersonic had some goodwill amongst these otherwise unknown brands. Tried getting Foxfire or Hypersonic dealers over phone, but due to lockdown , they were not available.
That’s when I shifted the search to a locally well known car accessories shop in my hometown. He assured me of good quality item,but the price was higher by 3-4 k than the online sellers. Neverthless, I went ahead with the product and the installation was completed in a hours time. It was a direct coupler to coupler fitting and the steering mounted control works well with the system.
Along with the Android System, installed Reverse camera. This was a high resolution one with wide angle and costed me about 3000Rs. Overall happy with the outcome.
I felt the sound quality has improved and the 10 inch tab along with the new fascia gives a more modern look to the car interior.
Note : for guys who are obsessed with sound quality, pioneer 8 inch system is available in market now. Cost seems to be somewhere around 35k.
**Android system I installed was a 2GB/16GB variant. No Sim card (works well with mobile Hotspot).

Some work in progress pics:
Ready to be installed
IMG_20200513_152354.jpg

IMG_20200513_162004.jpg

IMG_20200513_162739.jpg

After the installation

IMG_20200514_111247.jpg

The steering mounted control works perfectly well with the Unit.
The best thing I like about the android unit is the usage of Map.It has all the functionalities of an Android tab.

Steering Wheel Logo:
Another thing to change was the faded steering ‘H’ logo. I was particularly interested in the JDM red logo,but it was very costly (Rs.1500) at the accessories shop.
Got a seller thru instagram and bought the JDM red logo from him for Rs.750. Received the courier in a weeks time. The item was neatly packed and fits well on the steering.
IMG_20200621_183413.jpg

The knobs:
I never liked the A/C knobs,which resembled that of an old washing machine.Mine being an ‘S’ variant,all the 3 knobs were the washing machine types
Started searching for a good replacement in stores and couldn’t find a good one.That’s when I gave a try in Aliexpress. It had lot of choices,but I was skeptical. Finally ordered a set of 3 round knobs which had good reviews and price was 350Rs. Ordered the item in December and received it in March. It was worth the wait.The knobs looked good and it was a direct fit.It changed the look of interior ,especially when lights are on.

IMG_20200809_140719.jpg

fysd.jpg

Android Unit screen turned off during night drive to avoid distraction. Can play the songs with screen turned off.

fsdsdas.jpg

Now the pending work is to get the steering wheel wrapped with a good cover. The ones available at hometown are bit costly.Waiting to reach back Bangalore to get this done, from a place where my friend had done it for his car.
So folks that’s my car story till now.. Looking forward for comments and chats.[:D]

Attachments

Last edited:
Once again congratulations on your Honda City. Silver metallic ANHC is very mod friendly color. With the new android head unit and gear knob, the interior looks have enhanced. The leather seats and arm rest covers also blend with the interiors. I too was thinking about up sizing the rims and shoes, but since the car was completely stock at that time eventually decided to play safe.
It is suddenly raining Honda city 3rd gen in TAI(including me[;)]).
I wish Happy miles to @Asfar05 ar and @ManasN95 with your new rides.

Thread Starter #3
Once again congratulations on your Honda City. Silver metallic ANHC is very mod friendly color. With the new android head unit and gear knob, the interior looks have enhanced. The leather seats and arm rest covers also blend with the interiors. I too was thinking about up sizing the rims and shoes, but since the car was completely stock at that time eventually decided to play safe.
It is suddenly raining Honda city 3rd gen in TAI(including me[;)]).
I wish Happy miles to @Asfar05 ar and @ManasN95 with your new rides.
Gear knob is stock.. i have changed the a/c knobs (3 knobs )

Thread Starter #5
my bad....i have mistyped AC knobs as gear knobs.....meanwhile have you planned for further any accessories for your car?
Steering wheel wrap planned, waiting to reach bangalore for the same as i know a guy whose work is good and cost is less

Well maintained car, bro ..

I too had replaced the original H logo on the steering wheel with a JDM red logo, which I bought from AliExpress for 320 Rs.

Regarding upsizing of the stock tyres, which one is the most recommended size?

And how much did you pay for this Android unit?

Thread Starter #7
Well maintained car, bro ..

I too had replaced the original H logo on the steering wheel with a JDM red logo, which I bought from AliExpress for 320 Rs.

Regarding upsizing of the stock tyres, which one is the most recommended size?

And how much did you pay for this Android unit?
Thanks

I bought the red JDM logo from a seller thru instagram. Paid 700 Rs.

If you don't want to increase your rim size, you can go for 195/60/R15. Mine is 205/50/R16.Tyres protude a lil oustide the wheel arches with my size. You can check for an article in team bhp by the title 'Hondu'. His honda city has 195/60/R15 which looks good as well.

I payed around 15000 for the 2gb/16gb android unit variant. All these are chinese stuffs, imported and branded here. I bought it from an accessory shop in my hometown. My cousin bought the same config android unit, brand name Clotoy, thru online. He got it for 12500 and seems better than mine. If you have plans, i suggest Clotoy.

Thread Starter #8
Got the car serviced in November. Car has run 86000 kms. SA advised to get the 90000 kms service done. Asked them to not do any service apart from what is mentioned in the service book. SA insisted on getting the A/C vent cleaning and sanitization. Gave a big 'NO' for the same. Cost of servicing was around Rs.5000 , decent for a 10 year old car.

The previous service was done from Dakshin Honda Bangalore. They ripped me off. The parts cost ( filters and oils ) was around 4000 and labor cost was 6000. Total it came to around 12000 for the 80000 kms service. This time the service was done from Authorized service center at my hometown in Kerala and i was careful to cut down the unwanted items and thus the reduction in cost.

Car has been doing good except for the slight sound on bad roads. Checked it with local mechanic and as expected its early signs of weak suspension. Need to look into this soon.

Some pics for viewing pleasure :-)

IMG_20201226_222918.jpg

IMG_20201229_104305.jpg

IMG_20201229_104342.jpg

Thread Starter #9
As mentiomed in the last post, car had some noise on bad roads due to suspension issues. Gave to a local mechanic and the worn out/weak parts have been replaced. Yet to get the repair bills but the items he told that was replaced are, lower arm, bearing etc.
The sound has completely disappeared. Mechanic has advised me to check for any further sounds after riding for some days. If it crops up, it could be the dreaded steering rack issue.
Steering rack issue is a common known issue in this model of honda city. Usually crops up when the car is old or at the 1 lakh mark in odo.
My recently purchased Altis 2012 model had the same issue and was rectified by the mechanic. Parts were ordered from Boodmo and the assembly was changed. Cost quoted at Toyota service center was 35000,got it done for 12000 at the local workshop and i am prettty impressed with the work.
For my Honda City, mechanic told, we can get the bush replaced from outside at a particular shop that he relies on. He claims they have the exact part and the cost would be around 5000.
Enquired at Honda Service center and as expected, their suggestion is to replace the steering rack and estimated cost is around 55000rs.
If the sound crops up again, planning for the local jugaad.

Actually either it will be normal brownish tinge which gets applied on (Seen especially in rides which are washed often, and water gets dried over the discs) It won't cause any trouble, don't worry, as braking is fine.

Thread Starter #15
New update: The steering wheel wrap was one thing in my priority list. Deferred it as i was at hometown for the past 10 months and the cost quoted there was too high(Rs.4000 ). Got chance to get it done today from Bangalore.
Pretty satisfied with the work. The steering was removed and the stitching done.
Let pictures talk the rest..

Attachments

Top Bottom