Honda City EMT - My Dream Car is Finally With Me [11K Kms crossed]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Honda City EMT - My Dream Car is Finally with Me

As per the Service Manual, it is every 6 months or 5000kms. This is applicable after 3 free services are completed. Oil change is prescribed for the 2nd and
3rd free service which are separated by 3 months.

The 1st service was 1 month after purchase. 2nd and 3rd ones were 3 months and 6 months (respectively) after purchase.
oh ok. so all free coupons finished in a year [:D]

also , does honda washes engine compartment ? hyundai have stopped washing fearing ECU malfunction.

this is my car after service at the service center [lol]

I have a query for all ANHC owners. I have been facing problems with my gearshift. I find it considerably hard while slotting the gearshift into 2nd (while downshifting from 3rd) inspite of all pre-requisites being met i.e clutch is fully engaged, i ensure that the gear is slotted into neutral before i slot it into 2nd [frustration]

When i took the car for my 2nd service, my SA got the box opened and sprayed some lubricant. Somehow the problem has not been resolved. He says that this is a common problem with most of ANHC and will disappear after 10K kms.

Do any of you have similar issues? If you do, please can you let me know what specific actions (if any) have you taken apart from informing your SA?

From my perspective, i am convinced that Hyundai has the best gearbox (based on my experience of owning a Santro and also having driven the ANHV).
Yes I sometimes have problems in slotting into first but if I try to be more precise with shifting,its ok. Mine has clocked 1.9K kms.

Thread Starter #93

oh ok. so all free coupons finished in a year [:D]

also , does honda washes engine compartment ? hyundai have stopped washing fearing ECU malfunction.

this is my car after service at the service center [lol]

Yes all free coupons finished in 6 months itself [;)]

They dont wash the engine compartment. They only use a vacuum cleaner and blow away the dust

Hi Hakki,
1.)Recently I purchased a Honda City SMT, I am facing the gear issues (specifically 1st and 2nd gear) . Transition to 2nd gear is bit stiffer. and transition to 1st gear is smoother when car is at standstill only otherwise there is resistance when ever i try to shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear at slowwspeed also(5-10 kmph) . You also mentioned stiffness in gears . Did you got rid of that ? and when ? My car has run 2200Kms as of now.
2.) Don't you find headlights to be insufficient while running on highway.

Please share your thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Hakki,
1.)Recently I purchased a Honda City SMT, I am facing the gear issues (specifically 1st and 2nd gear) . Transition to 2nd gear is bit stiffer. and transition to 1st gear is smoother when car is at standstill only otherwise there is resistance when ever i try to shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear at slowwspeed also(5-10 kmph) . You also mentioned stiffness in gears . Did you got rid of that ? and when ? My car has run 2200Kms as of now.

First, let me congratulate you on your new Honda City (ANHC).

Broadly speaking, 1st is a static gear (only to be used when moving vehicle from standstill position), 2nd is a motion gear, 3rd is a speed gear and 4th & 5th are cruising gears.
Hence do not ever try to put any vehicle (car or bike) from 2nd to 1st gear when vehicle is in motion (even at speeds of 5 - 10 kmph like you mentioned). In the long run it is not advisable, as it will damage the gears. This should take care of one of your questions.
Regarding transition to 2nd gear, I think it is a matter of getting used to. Agree, it is slightly stiff for Honda City cars (others have talked about it in different forums), but with a little bit of getting used to, you should be OK with it.

@ Hornet,
Sir,
I really appreciated the advice... Not downshifting from 2nd to 1st while in motion. I never knew that. Does this rule apply when going uphill?

@Hornet
Thnx a lot Hornet.
I do have the same question as asked by ZenandEnfield , Does this rule apply when going uphill ?
My other question was regarding HeadLights. I didn't found it sufficient enough while driving on Highways ?

Experts plz share your views on Headlights

@Hornet
Thnx a lot Hornet.
I do have the same question as asked by ZenandEnfield , Does this rule apply when going uphill ?
My other question was regarding HeadLights. I didn't found it sufficient enough while driving on Highways ?

Experts plz share your views on Headlights
Yes, this rule also applies uphill. If you are going uphill and you find the car / bike engine straining or screaming in the 2nd gear, come to a complete halt. Then put the car / bike in the 1st gear and then proceed. The treads on the individual gears will last a lot longer this way. Otherwise down shifting to 1st while in motion will wear off the sharpness on your gears and in time to come it will 'slip' requiring you to go to the service station. Down shifting from any other gear while in motion is just fine (e.g. 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd).

As far as headlights are concerned, I have the original stock headlights which work fine for me, so no comments. However, there are lots of forum threads where people have replaced stock lights with more powerful ones and are happy with it. My personal opinion is, unless absolutely necessary, there is no need to disturb the factory fitted items since, otherwise one disturbs the originality of that item when upgrading or modifying.

Thread Starter #99
Hi Hakki,

Hi proud_indian your observation of the general gear shifting problem esp during downshifting to 2nd gear seems to be a general problem with most of the City owners. The problem still persists with me though it is slightly better than what it was during the initial days. I have observed that once you run the car for around 5-6kms and the car is nicely warmed up, the problem reduces. Also you need to ensure that before downshifting to 2nd gear, you are no faster than 10-15kmph. This should take care of the problem.

Regarding your 2nd query, yes even i found the headlamps to be quite poor esp since some of the routes that i take while coming back from office is pretty dimly lit. Hence i upgraded to Philips XtremeVision (though of the same wattage). This solved the problem

Hello All i have been extremely busy of late and hence have been unable to update my ownership thread for the last few months. My apologies for this.
My car has completed 11000 kms a couple of weeks back and has completed the 1st paid servicing. What do i have to say apart from the fact that my love for the car only keeps increasing with every passing day. The car drives real smooth with absolutely no glitches at all. The gear shift, the handling around corners, taking the potholes on the bad roads are all absolutely top notch. I have been getting an overall city FE of 15.5 - 16kmpl (by tankful method. On my long drives on highways the FE has consistently been around 19kmpl.

So all in all very happy with my car. [clap]

Hello All i have been extremely busy of late and hence have been unable to update my ownership thread for the last few months. My apologies for this.
My car has completed 11000 kms a couple of weeks back and has completed the 1st paid servicing. What do i have to say apart from the fact that my love for the car only keeps increasing with every passing day. The car drives real smooth with absolutely no glitches at all. The gear shift, the handling around corners, taking the potholes on the bad roads are all absolutely top notch. I have been getting an overall city FE of 15.5 - 16kmpl (by tankful method. On my long drives on highways the FE has consistently been around 19kmpl.

So all in all very happy with my car. [clap]
Good to hear that you are happy with your ride. Really good that you are getting those numbers for FE. Do you drive in the suburbs or city generally? I am a sedate driver generally speaking, but still I manage to get around 13.2 kmpl - 13.6 kmpl only and around 17.5 kmpl on long drives. 17.5 kmpl on long drives is really good. If I get into the city traffic with 100% AC, FE will be 12.8 kmpl to 13.4 kmpl.

Thread Starter #101

Good to hear that you are happy with your ride. Really good that you are getting those numbers for FE. Do you drive in the suburbs or city generally? I am a sedate driver generally speaking, but still I manage to get around 13.2 kmpl - 13.6 kmpl only and around 17.5 kmpl on long drives. 17.5 kmpl on long drives is really good. If I get into the city traffic with 100% AC, FE will be 12.8 kmpl to 13.4 kmpl.
Around 30% of my drive is in city with peak traffic. The rest of the drive is around the suburbs/periphery of the city where the traffic is not too heavy. This possibly is one of the reasons why my FE hovers around the 15-16kmpl mark.
I am fairly sure if i drive 100% in bumper to bumper traffic i wont get anything more than 13-14 kmpl. But i would say it still is much better than most of the other petrol sedans of the same category.

Thanx Hakki,

You rightly mentioned that problem of downshifting to 2nd gear reduces after driving 5-6 kms. Got used to of that initial stiffness.
From where did you buy those xtreme Vision bulbs from Pune. Even i am looking out for that.

Glad to hear that you are getting such a good FE (15.5-16kmpl in City). My car has completed around 2300 kms. The best FE that i got 13.1 Kmpl for City driving and 16 Kmpl for Highway driving. Will it improve after 2nd and 3rd service or Do I need to check my way of driving [drive]:confused:

@Hornet
Thnx Hornet, Upgrading from a 13 year old Santro to a new 2013 Honda city, A lot of things to be learned :) . Will definitely apply your valuable suggestions while driving [:D]

Thread Starter #104

Thanx Hakki,

You rightly mentioned that problem of downshifting to 2nd gear reduces after driving 5-6 kms. Got used to of that initial stiffness.
From where did you buy those xtreme Vision bulbs from Pune. Even i am looking out for that.

Glad to hear that you are getting such a good FE (15.5-16kmpl in City). My car has completed around 2300 kms. The best FE that i got 13.1 Kmpl for City driving and 16 Kmpl for Highway driving. Will it improve after 2nd and 3rd service or Do I need to check my way of driving [drive]

@Hornet
Thnx Hornet, Upgrading from a 13 year old Santro to a new 2013 Honda city, A lot of things to be learned :) . Will definitely apply your valuable suggestions while driving [:D]
Hi proud_indian, i got the xtreme vision bulbs from Carax near Balewadi stadium. It cost me around 1100 for a pair. Am sure this must be available in pretty much almost all the car accessories shop. Just ensure that the wattage is the same as your stock bulbs.

As for your FE, i guess it depends on 2 critical factors namely the density of traffic in your daily drives and your driving style. You cannot do much about the first aspect. But on your driving style you can surely look at finer nuances like ensuring that you dont accelerate and decerlate quickly (it should be linear), reduce the chances of hard braking (one way to ensure this is keep safe distance with the car ahead of you), keep your right foot as light as possible on the accelerator. If you are running downhill with reasonably clear roads, try to move to 4th gear and ensure that you are around the correct rpm and take your foot off the pedal. Shut the engine off around signals if you have more than 1 min to go. I follow most of the above basic yet simple guidelines which gives me the FE which i have quoted in my previous post.

Am sure you can give it a try and should definitely see an improvement in your FE [:)]

@Hornet
That was not me...Santro to Honda City....maybe you were referring to someone else??

Top Bottom